Majority of Americans support legalizing same-sex marriage::: true or false? what do u think?

emo ♥ Яenju 2012/06/06 11:16:17

A majority of Americans — 54% — say same-sex marriages should be legally recognized, while 42% are opposed, according to a CNN/ORC International Survey released Wednesday.

The poll showed a sharp partisan divide on the issue, with seven in 10 Democrats as well as six in 10 independent voters saying same-sex marriages should be legal, and 72% of Republicans opposed.

President Barack Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage in an ABC News interview in early May, but Mitt Romney says he does not support gay marriage or civil unions.

The poll results come the day after the Ninth U.S. Circuit Appeals Court in San Francisco declined to revisit its earlier decision that ruled California's Proposition 8 unconstitutional and said gay and lesbian couples could marry.
decision ruled californias proposition 8 unconstitutional gay lesbian couples marry

The poll also found that the number of Americans who say they know somebody who is gay has jumped from 49% in 2010 to 60% now.

The CNN poll was conducted by ORC International from May 29-31, with 1,009 adults nationwide questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points, with a sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for registered voters.

• ZeldaFan13 2012/07/16 04:35:55
    true
    ZeldaFan13
    It's actually more of a 50/50 kind of deal... Even when looking at the results of this poll... It's an estimate of 50/50...
  • Donnie 2012/07/05 02:17:35
  • Brosia 2012/06/30 06:22:02
    true
    Brosia
    I think that most people don't care either way because it doesn't affect their marriage at all.
  • Red 2012/06/25 19:44:18
  • Bocephus 2012/06/09 19:12:54
    true
    And I think it should be fully legal also by federal court mandate just like interracial marriage was in 1967
  • I don't like Obama in office 2012/06/06 20:43:56 (edited)
    false
    I don't like Obama in office
    I say no to be married means man wife,...Note Historicall facts in order for the court to uphold the facts on a national level such {crap} change in Federal law would have 2 passed by state by state Ballot vote via as I understand Referendum vote for the state reps to vote on for the Congress to vote on for Obama to sign if not suits Civil rights suits by the peoples of the states could be filed for constructive treason and or Congressional Contempt via Civil rights Act or force Acts 1833-1871 via U>S title 42 usc section 1983 for Violation of voter rights in federal courts because more liky Obama would not seek to veto the plane Congressional vote if it came to such to uphold his veto rights as he is to to ensure such National change to laws or Bill are done as such to uphold the rights of the people to be able to say the people of the United states agree with the Act or change in Law of such degree...Note thus far each states that has passed such Gay laws the people of the states unless the states held such Ballot voting such law would be void and suits to suit the Elected powers for not doing it before claiming such Legal...Note for the Federal change to take place One other factor to think about if the federal law is being sought to be changed they hafe to call for so a vot...
    I say no to be married means man wife,...Note Historicall facts in order for the court to uphold the facts on a national level such {crap} change in Federal law would have 2 passed by state by state Ballot vote via as I understand Referendum vote for the state reps to vote on for the Congress to vote on for Obama to sign if not suits Civil rights suits by the peoples of the states could be filed for constructive treason and or Congressional Contempt via Civil rights Act or force Acts 1833-1871 via U>S title 42 usc section 1983 for Violation of voter rights in federal courts because more liky Obama would not seek to veto the plane Congressional vote if it came to such to uphold his veto rights as he is to to ensure such National change to laws or Bill are done as such to uphold the rights of the people to be able to say the people of the United states agree with the Act or change in Law of such degree...Note thus far each states that has passed such Gay laws the people of the states unless the states held such Ballot voting such law would be void and suits to suit the Elected powers for not doing it before claiming such Legal...Note for the Federal change to take place One other factor to think about if the federal law is being sought to be changed they hafe to call for so a vote because the fact the law would back Federal benifites Note the Federal tax systems that backs such thing like the federal tax code was in fact Voluntary there is no really war being fought on US Soil, http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • Solomonster 2012/06/06 20:38:28
    true
    Solomonster
    Probably. I know I don't really care that much.
    false
    I think Americans want same sex couples to have the rights but not use the word 'marriage'.
  • les_gvt 2012/06/06 17:10:21
    false
    les_gvt
    if the majority of Americans supported it, it would not have been voted down 32 of the 32 times it has been on the ballot
  • les_gvt les_gvt 2012/06/06 17:21:54
    les_gvt
    don't have exact % in front of me , but it was something along the lines-CA 48 for 52 against. NC 36-63,GA 24-76 MS 22-78 FL 43-57 ,CT 46-54, ME 45-55.

it does not even win in the blue liberal states of New England
  • jimih67 2012/06/06 15:08:44
    false
    jimih67
    I don't trust a CNN poll. They probably polled people at places where a lot of liberals hang out. You know, occupy rallies, gay bars, strip clubs, brothels, prisons and the like.
  • America... jimih67 2012/06/06 15:55:59
    American☆Atheist
    nope, cnn is factual.
  • jimih67 America... 2012/06/06 16:22:24
    jimih67
    +1
    Everybody knows poll results are subjective. It all depends on who you ask.
  • America... jimih67 2012/06/06 16:43:26
    American☆Atheist
    i bet you like polls that agree with you
  • jimih67 America... 2012/06/13 19:28:00
    jimih67
    As apparently you like the ones that agree with you. Actually, I don't pay much attention to polls due to the reasons cited above. Polls? Hell, the results of this question (21-18) don't even agree with your CNN poll. Nice try.
  • America... jimih67 2012/06/13 19:50:29
    American☆Atheist
    I like polls with facts.
  • les_gvt jimih67 2012/06/06 17:16:07
    les_gvt
    and how you ask it

is it okay for a parent to spank their child or is beating a kid child abuse?

most will say you can spank, everyone will say beating is a use,ego they report everyone os against spanking
  • bob 2012/06/06 15:01:25
    true
    bob
    +3
    Marriage is an act of love and no single religion or sexual orientation owns it.
  • Z 2012/06/06 15:00:41
    true
    Z
    +1
    Gallup agrees. Bout time America.
  • Superman 2012/06/06 14:55:56
    true
    Superman
    +1
    Fortunately this is where the culture is heading.

My hope is that this trend is fostered well by the pro-gay marriage side. This discussion usually ends up falling into a faith based or party based shouting match. And yes, I know full well that the hardcore religious and the hard core Republicans are the problem because they are vocal and nasty.

But the pro-gay marriage side needs to be the bigger person on this one. You don't get to 54% national approval without getting some support from people of faith and conservatives. I'm one of them. I'm basically Lutheran and I lean to the right. But I support gay marriage.

Thing is that I'm put off when people generalize about people of faith or conservatives as hate mongers or nazis or whatever. I feel that rhetoric isn't helpful and its generally used for broader political motives and undermines the issue at hand.

My suggestion is to promote gay marriage in the best postive way possible and to leave the devisive rhetoric aside. If you need to single out the obnoxious hardcore groups then make sure to use targeted language to isolate them. Its better to target language and put those nuts in a 10% minority rather than to generalize and apply your statements.to a broad 40-50% base thats includes people starting to change their mind.

Let's come together on this.
  • KoAm 2012/06/06 14:53:49
    false
    KoAm
    +1
    I seriously doubt this poll is all that accurate.

Voicing opposition to "gay marriage" is something that many people are unwilling to do publicly. This is due to the intimidation of "gay marriage" supporters, and the name-calling that supporters of traditional marriage must endure from those who call them "bigots" and "hateful" and "intolerant."

As such, a pro-traditional marriage person, when called by a pollster who presumably knows their phone number and possibly their address, may say they are okay with "gay marriage" -- when they really are not.

I simply cannot believe that opposition to "gay marriage" has gone from being a solid majority opinion to just a 42% opinion in such a short period of time. That makes no sense, especially given that "gay marriage" is 0 for 31 in binding referendums held in numerous states.
  • Z KoAm 2012/06/06 15:02:00
    Z
    Most polls, including this one, are completely anonymous. This is where they would have been able and willing to actually speak out.
  • Flowers 2012/06/06 14:44:39
    true
    Flowers
    there is no logical reason why same sex couples should be banned from getting a state certificate proving legal marriage. If a specific religious entity doesn't want to perform a ceremony (which is ALL it is for) that's perfectly fine.
  • KoAm Flowers 2012/06/06 14:55:58
    KoAm
    +1
    >>>there is no logical reason why same sex couples should be banned from getting a state certificate proving legal marriage.>>>

There are logical reasons.

Just because you may not want to hear the reasons, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

"Gay marriage" fans say that a lot. They constantly say "there is no good reason for disagreeing with us."

Besides being a parroted and unoriginal argument, it's also a hostile and intolerant one. Claiming a monopoly on logic and "rightness" doesn't cast one in a very logical light.
  • Z KoAm 2012/06/06 15:03:03
    Z
    +1
    Okay, so enlighten us. And remember, religion isn't a valid argument. Religious beliefs have no place in deciding public policy without valid outside reasons as well.
  • Flowers KoAm 2012/06/06 15:15:37
    Flowers
    I don't really think you should be talking about who is hostile, Jen. I have seen your comments on the topic of gay marriage. No one is claiming a monopoly on anything. It has nothing to do with "rightness" it has everything to do with upholding the reason our democracy was founded in the first place: the freedom to live and make our own choices. People are simply trying to fix the errors in the system that were there because of bigots who hated anything that was "different".

If you don't support gay marriage, you are more than welcome to not participate in one. I don't see how same sex couples marrying has any effect on your life.
  • Snow 2012/06/06 14:33:16
    true
    Snow
    America has changed. This isn't the 1950s, or the 70s, or as late as the early 2000s. Homosexuality is slowly becoming more accepted, and in time gay marriage will be legalized. We just have to make that as fast as possible.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/06/06 13:39:14
    false
    Wahvlvke
    +2
    Just who the hell did they poll ... San Fransissy and Midtown Atlanta?
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/06/06 13:14:51
    false
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    Then how did the majority of states pass Marriage Amendments, defending their states from the onslaught of liberal college professors and activist judges, who think they can redefine marriage?
  • KoAm Pronata... 2012/06/06 14:58:41
    KoAm
    +1
    Given the current politically correct and liberal elitist climate, many people who oppose "gay marriage" are afraid to do so publicly.

And if a pollster calls their house, they may presume that the pollsters know their phone number and maybe even their address.

As such, they may not be willing to say "no" to "gay marriage" even if that's their true opinion on the subject. So, out of fear of being a victim of intolerance from the champions of tolerance, they may say "yes."
  • Pronata... KoAm 2012/06/06 15:09:22
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    What what are they going to do? Round all us "straights" up, and put us in some "re-education camp?" In a country with 90 million guns? I want to be out of here, moved to another country, before that ugliness happens.

Also beware of internet polls. Okay for fun, but not very "scientific." For almost never, is the actual voting sample, a representative sample of the general population. And it is possible that internet polls may be tracked. Notice how many forums "remember" your vote? That means it's lurking in some database, that government snoops might someday, for some strange reason, take interest in. As if they didn't have enough of their own business to manage?

Some internet polls allow "multiple voting" without meaning to. Especially if you don't have to "log in" to place a vote. That likely suggests that votes are not very carefully tracked, can't be traced back to the original voters, and that the results, should never be considered to be "scientific."

I like voting in internet polls, because it's an easy way to get my views, more promoted and heard. And I have views on almost everything.
  • rustyshackelford 2012/06/06 13:05:28 (edited)
  • KoAm rustysh... 2012/06/06 14:56:35
    KoAm
    +2
    And in Oregon, which is at least as liberal as California is.
  • John Hall 2012/06/06 12:55:27
    true
    John Hall
    from the people i speak to there ok with gay marriage .
  • Politic... John Hall 2012/06/06 14:38:48
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    The key there is "speak". I don't know many people who would want to be considered in a negative light because of their beliefs. They are as likely to say they agree, but vote that they don't.
  • John Hall Politic... 2012/06/06 17:18:07
    John Hall
    In my circle of family and friends the majority say that they are ok with gay marriage .
  • Politic... John Hall 2012/06/06 22:59:26
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    As I said, speaking is suspect in many ways. My suspision is based on the voting that decries those affirming it when the votes defeat it.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/06 12:32:49
  • lin sugar lips 2012/06/06 12:01:50
    false
    lin sugar lips
    +4
    The majority of Americans Believe Marriage is between ONE man and ONE woman!!!

2014/11/27 03:05:29