Lone Grove, OK Tornado: Are you afraid of Tornadoes?

Coffee-Aholic 2009/02/11 19:44:05
Yes. Tornadoes scares the living creepers out of me! Poor poeople in Lone Grove.
I don't live where Tornadoes strike, like in Oklahoma.
I'm so sorry to families living around Lone Grove, Ok who were affected by the twisters.
A set of tornadoes hit near Oklahoma City on Tuesday, Feb 10th 2009. Eight people were killed near Lone Grove, OK, as people were lifted into the air due to the twister. 14 more people were seriously injured and taken to hospitals, like one woman who was found underneath her mobile home. The National Guard was even sent in to help the innocent victims of another natural disaster. The National Whether Service did however issue a tornado warning, warning residences to take cover and beware.

Do hearing stories like this make you scared of tornadoes?

• 519378 2009/02/11 20:34:23 (edited)
    I'm so sorry to families living around Lone Grove, Ok who were affected by th...
    519378
    +2
    I fear hurricanes much more than tornadoes.

Tornadoes are smaller, and I have literally driven away from on-coming tornadoes. My car drives faster than tornadoes move, so I looked at the tornado, gauged what direction it was traveling, and drove the other way.

When you actually see an oncoming hurricane approaching you, it is just too big to get out of the way.

I am not trying to say that tornadoes are not devastating to things in their path, but I have also been less than 5 miles from the 'eye' of tornadoes dozens of times in my life, without ever being injured.

• agentchewy 2009/03/02 09:04:48
    agentchewy
    who wouldn't be scared of tornadoes?
  • Sweetness ~Loves her Lion~ 2009/02/28 10:43:46
    Sweetness ~Loves her Lion~
    but i'm still shit scared of them
    we don't even really get tornadoes in australia
    well, not huge ones
    and not usually where there's people
    but i used to have nightmares about them
    actually, the nightmares started after i watched the wizard of oz...
    i never realised that
    evil movie
    haha
    anyway
    so yeah, i'm scared shitless of them
  • janay 2009/02/27 02:38:07
    janay
    I live in Lone Grove,Oklahome.I am praised that the only thing that happened at my house was that our basketball goal was tipped over.But y best friends house was completely destroyed.Please put the Lone Grove people in your prayers that lost their home,or a family,friend,pet or anythings else that passed away.
  • TJE 2009/02/18 22:22:31
    TJE
    Luckily
  • poet4justice 2009/02/16 03:54:15 (edited)
    poet4justice
    i have been in flood and earthquake and hurricane i dont think i will like to live in tornado allie flood earthquake hurricane live tornado allie
  • harrypotter_twilightfan 2009/02/15 03:53:29
    harrypotter_twilightfan
    i live in oklahoma and so yes i am scared of twisters! i had famliy who lived in lone grove but they were ok.
  • L.A. woman 2009/02/15 02:05:45
    L.A. woman
    I grew up in California so I was used to earthquakes. When I moved to the midwest I lived in fear of tornadoes. I was told to listen for the siren or the sound of a train which would tell me it was near. Trouble was, I lived near the railroad tracks. My last night in Iowa a tornado plowed the college across the river from me and took down every tree on the mall.
  • LadyMindy [Indestructible] 2009/02/13 16:39:46
    LadyMindy [Indestructible]
    but tornados have always kinda facinated me. ive lived through more than a few and many a sevire storm but even as a kid they didnt scare me...i get this buzz when there around. its possible that im really weird =] but thats how it is.
  • martiebaby 2009/02/13 06:08:54 (edited)
    martiebaby
    I know that tornadoes are scary and devastating to those struck by them, and my prayers and sympathy go out to all the families hit, but I have to admit, I was hoping I'd see one when I drove through kansas/oklahoma recently, (one that didn't hurt anybody of course) what a powerful phenomenon and awesome natural happening, I really would love to see one from a safe distance, or get sucked in and land safely, it would just be incredible to feel such power. I guess it's natural to feel curious about them, and to be intrigued by something so frightening.

land safely feel power guess natural feel curious intrigued frightening
  • sully 2009/02/12 22:57:07
  • Lord Nils 2009/02/12 21:48:16
    Lord Nils
    Actually, they do occur here, but very rarely. But they really don't scare me.
  • ctuagentdown 2009/02/12 21:20:24
    ctuagentdown
    they come when they want and destroy all in its path
  • Tessaprn 2009/02/12 19:29:15
    Tessaprn
    Living in North Alabama I can understand fear of tornadoes.
  • MickeyRenee~ 2009/02/12 16:52:09 (edited)
    MickeyRenee~
    I have lived in tornado alley my entire life and have had many tornado watches/warnings too numerous to count. I am not so much SCARED of them..they are more a fact of life around here..but I do have a healthy respect for them and take many precautions in severe weather
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/02/12 16:02:50
    Just MEH....Piwan
    Scared of 'em, but also fascinated with them!
  • SuperCee 2009/02/12 15:02:15
    SuperCee
    I look at tornados as the hand of God! I don't live where tornados are a natural occurence nor have I ever seen one up close and personal and hope to never have to.

My condolences to all those that lost famiy and homes to this tornado.
  • DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Tru... 2009/02/12 13:26:05
    DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Trust ♥
    I am not afraid or Tornadoes. I am cautious of them. My thought to the families though.
  • debwilldo 2009/02/12 12:27:45 (edited)
    debwilldo
    My heart goes out to all of the citizens of Lone Grove,as well as my prayers,especially to those who are suffering from the loss of loved ones.
    Having dealt with such losses recently, I can truly say that faith and prayers will ease the suffering...in time.
    I think that just the sight of that huge,dark funnel shaped cloud, coming in my direction, could quite possibly cause my demise! When it comes to any type of extreme weather, I have to admit to being more of a chicken than a hawk!
    Thankfully, I live in PA. and the most I see is a lot of snow,and *ick* ice!
  • BUNNIES 2009/02/12 05:20:36
    BUNNIES
    tornadoes are scary..*shiver*
  • XspecialX 2009/02/12 03:45:29
    XspecialX
    it's like a big monster you can't stop, cause it's natural. even though i live in new york, i'm still afraid of tornadoes.
  • Peggy 2009/02/12 03:37:52
    Peggy
    I live in NW PA. Not exactly a tornado strick zone. We may get snow but the earth does not move under our feet, nor high winds round our homes
  • Professor 2009/02/12 03:32:52
    Professor
    Oklahoma lately seems like ground zero for tornados! Luckily I live in Wisconsin which only occasionally gets them and isn't in Tornado Alley. Most tornados (but not all) occur in a line going NE from Oklahoma to Ohio.
  • SARA 2009/02/12 02:54:15
    SARA
    Any type of bad weather scares me. I am so fortunate to live in a town in Iowa where knock on wood we have not experienced any destructive weather. I had just said to my husband how devestating it was to see some towns here in Iowa that flooded last spring while where I am we are lucky we don't flood because we have a flood wall. And as for tornados we have lots of bluffs to keep them out of here once again knock on wood. I have lived here for 45 years and have not seen a tornado. We have had some strong winds at some point that has blown roofs off of building and knocked down trees but nothing ever too devestating. I hope those people are able to piece back together their lives and move on.
  • Matt 2009/02/12 02:51:44
    Matt
    I got hit myself in January of 2008. I put my Chevy Malibu with 20,000 miles on it in the barn to avoid "hail damage". Well, I got hit by a tornado which collapsed my new 42'x50' barn and totalled both of them out. The car did not sustain any hail damage, but the falling barn flattened the "hail" out of it... Link to pictures below on myspace.
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.c...
  • Slamdtruck 2009/02/12 02:43:05
    Slamdtruck
    hell yea! i live in illinois, tornadoes pay visits here way too often... i've seen a few, and had nightmares, if you can see a tornado you are too close to it
  • Santa 2009/02/12 00:40:24
    Santa
    I feel so bad for the people of Lone Grove. I will pray for the people who have lost so much. It is so sad.

I was near a twister on my way home once, I was so scared I turned around and went back the other way over 15 miles. and I could still see the dust from it. On the way back where the twister had crossed the highway, the asphalt had big sections missing. I am so glad I turned around.
  • HeliAce 2009/02/11 23:45:58
    HeliAce
    If a tornado did strike in Las Vegas, I'd be screwed! No basement here, only an attic.
  • SARA HeliAce 2009/02/12 02:56:01
    SARA
    In a tornado even if you have a basement it is not always a safe place to be I feel that your house could still cave in on you.
  • Irish Weatherman 2009/02/11 23:38:20
    Irish Weatherman
    But I love twisters. I saw my first one when I was 12, and that is when I knew I wanted to be a meteorologist. Now I am doing what I love!!!

families living lone grove twisters love twisters 12 meteorologist love
  • screwybruce 2009/02/11 23:19:59
    screwybruce
    No not afraid of them, I do feel sadness for those that have lost family and friends. Mother Nature gives us great beauty but sometimes at a great cost.
  • Cookinfool 2009/02/11 22:41:31
    Cookinfool
    That is very sad; I do live in a tornado prone area and it is like hurricanes, earthquakes it is just part of it. Actually if it were not for all the distruction and loss of live they are amazing storms.
  • Zozo 2009/02/11 22:35:25
  • cincin88 2009/02/11 22:34:19 (edited)
    cincin88
    My nephew had just moved into a trailer in the park in Lone Grove that was hit. They got out about 5 minutes before it blew their trailer away. I live in a small Texas town, that was hit in 1995. My roof was damaged, as well as broken windows.My ex brother in law said he was not afraid of tornados, till he saw one, and the damage it left behind! Tornados are unpredictable! It may hit you and leave your neighbor alone, or it could wipe out blocks at a time. If you say they do not scare you, either your lying, or you've Never seen one!
  • Carol 2009/02/11 22:33:04
    Carol
    They are horrible, horrible and that is fact. I have seen the damage they have done and that is close enough for me.Thank You!!!
  • no name 2009/02/11 21:53:14 (edited)
    no name
    I SEND ABSOLUTE PRAYERS TO ALL THAT LOST LIVES AND THOSE WHO WERE INJURED. THINGS LOST CAN BE REBUILT. BUT PEOPLE SEEING ONE, HEARING ONE, AND WATCHING THE MOVIE "TWISTER" AT THE NEW THEATER SCARED ME BONELESS! WE DON'T LIVE IN TORNADO ALLEY BUT THERE HAVE BEEN SMALL ONES COME THROUGH HERE CLOSE BY ENOUGH TO SEND US TO THE BASEMENT. YES THEY SCARE ME TO PIECES. ALL WE CAN DO IF WE CAN IS GO AND SEE IF WE CAN HELP, IF NOT PRAY FOR THEM.
  • KJ 2009/02/11 21:49:11
    KJ
    I used to be worried about twisters all the time. Every summer I wouldn't be able to help but feel uneasy every second of the day, especially when there were warnings or even watches around our area. Now tornados still make me a little nervous but they don't fill me with a full-on wave of alarm and panic like they used to.
  • Moe 2009/02/11 21:22:06
    Moe
    I live in the northeast and we do not get tornadoes often. We had one come thru Deerfield NH this past summer and people were in a panic. There were houses floating down the river. I am not afraid of many things, but this is definately one of them.
  • Karensue322 2009/02/11 21:13:52
    Karensue322
    You don't have to live in Oklahoma to have a tornado, a tornado can hit anyplace. One night I heard one go overhead but thankgoodness it didn't touch down in my neighborhood. High winds scare me, especially at night.
  • bunny mania 2009/02/11 20:59:02
    bunny mania
    +1
    I don't live in an area like this but they do scare the jeepers out of me!!! I wouldn't know what to do... I feel very sorry for the families whom had to go through this...
  • kate 2009/02/11 20:57:25
    kate
    not to, but for. I don't live near tornadoes, but I feel for those who do. I have hurricane strength wind storms, and I guess tornadoes have occurred here, but 60 yrs ago was the last one, other then a few weak ones last year. I am Praying for Lone Grove!

2014/10/31 12:26:23