Limbaugh's Advertiser Exodus Expands Exponentially

Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/03/11 01:53:19
Na na nana, na na nana, hey hey hey.......

March 10, 2012 10:54 am ET by MMFA Staff

Radio-Info.comreported on Friday that 98 advertisers have told Premiere Radio Networks, which syndicates Rush Limbaugh's radio show, that they want to avoid advertising on Limbaugh's show and other programs with content "deemed to be offensive or controversial":

The list includes carmakers (Ford, GM, Toyota), insurance companies (Allstate, Geico, Prudential, State Farm) and restaurants (McDonald's, Subway). http://www.radio-info.com/news/when-it-comes-to-advertisers-a... , http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/03/10/advertisers_flee...

The advertisers were reportedly included in a Premiere memo circulated to radio station traffic managers and obtained by Radio-Info.com, laying out the growing reach of the advertiser exodus, which has now ensnared other controversial radio hosts:

They've specifically asked that you schedule their commercials in dayparts or programs free of content that you know are deemed to be offensive or controversial (for example, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity). Those are defined as environments likely to stir negative sentiment from a very small percentage of the listening public. http://www.radio-info.com/news/when-it-comes-to-advertisers-a...

Advertisers have dropped their ads from Limbaugh's show in the wake of his misogynistic attacks on Sandra Fluke. The online feed at WABC, Limbaugh's flagship station, has increasingly turned to free public service announcements during Limbaugh's show. http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203050019 , http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203010012 , http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203010012

Read More: http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203100003

• #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/03/11 02:24:26
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +18
    Excellent & I'm glad that other shows are being affected. It thrills me that nearly 100 companies have come to see how bad it will be for their business if they continue to advertise on hate-monger & misogynistic radio personalities programs.

• Edward Cullen 2012/03/22 03:02:51
    Edward Cullen
    Smashing job Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Micheal Savage, Glenn Beck & Sean Hannity keep up the marvelous work. I almost ended up on Sean Hannity's show, because he called my house. The sad part is that I wasn't home.
  • Diane 2012/03/17 05:48:54
    Diane
    +1
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012
    Beginning Week 3 of the Rush Limbaugh story

From today's TRI Newsletter, here at Radio-Info.com:

- Some advertisers have begun asking stations to submit Rush-free "programming grids." That's to ensure that their spots don’t air inside the Limbaugh program. One TRI reader says “Safeway is among the clients now asking for such programming grids for every daypart. And it’s not just Rush, it’s other controversial programming.” Late last week, TRI reported the Premiere memo about keeping 98 clients away from controversial programming, and on Monday the story about the two-week “barter holiday” for all barter spots carried by Premiere’s news/talk affiliates.

- “It’s time for this to cool off and start going away”, says one radio operator. He doesn’t carry the Rush show, but he’s worried about the long-term damage to radio and specifically talk radio. One market manager who does have Rush says “If this sort of thing holds from the protests, the only home for political talk will be on Sirius XM – a discovery Dr. Laura made before the rest of us did.”

http://www.radio-info.com/new...
  • Diane 2012/03/16 04:44:06 (edited)
    Diane
    +1
    To date, 142 advertisers have dropped Rush Limbaugh. But he has new sponsors. Watch the video.

• The One 2012/03/15 23:24:15
  • pat 2012/03/15 05:40:59
    pat
    +3
    Im more interested that he be removed from Armed Forces Radio.
  • Darnel 2012/03/15 01:22:21
    Darnel
    Really?
    Impressive,... So lets PUNISH EVERYONE from the right because RL messed up.

I DON'T AGREE.
  • S* Darnel 2012/03/15 08:30:22
    S*
    +3
    Who is punishing you? I do not get it? You identify so closely with Rush that you feel you are being punished if advertizers decide to place business elsewhere?
  • Darnel S* 2012/03/15 11:27:16
    Darnel
    ??
    I'm reading here that because RL messed up,... That apparently OTHER talk show entertainers from the right are losing sposorship?

And this is "ok"?

I don't agree. It's not right to slam all for one.
  • S* Darnel 2012/03/15 16:13:47
    S*
    +2
    Any "entertainer" who peddles hate and fear should take note, if you are suggesting they are on the Right, I am not going to argue with you, but the market has spoken.

Limbaugh signed for $50 million a year for something like 5 or 10 years, I think he is a waste of airtime, but this is free market at its best! He got a lucrative contract because of advertizing money, If a business chooses to take their money elsewhere, it is not punishment, it is merely a business decision. Now Rush is left to make a business decision, does he tone it down, or does he continue with the hateful rhetoric? That is his decision, and yours too, because you can choose to support those businesses that continue to support him. If you were treated very badly at your local hardware store by a clerk, you have the opportunity to talk to the management, or switch stores. This is merely the case. If you are saying one does not impact the other, I would offer a couple of examples, Rev. Wright, Van Jones, Acorn, Bill Ayers, so if you wish to point any fingers, perhaps you should consider the whole picture, where were you with all those issues? It is always different when our own ideology is questioned, Rush had a pretty good run of lambasting everyone on the left for a number of years, he went over the line, and got one of those triple Ds of his in a wringer. About time, from my perspective.
  • Darnel S* 2012/03/15 19:27:27
    Darnel
    I think you misunderstand my point.
    To be clear:
    Hang Rush Limbaugh up by his THUMBS FOR HIS CURRENT LEVEL OF STUPIDITY in regards to calling a college student a slut and a prostitute for having the nerve to discuss contraceptives in light of what else they are used for.

My main malfunction here is the thought that other people on the right who did no such stupidity were lumped and are being punished for silliness that Rush Limbaugh started.

It is NOT okay to punish others on the "same side" for the actions of the idiot.

Using that logic I have a strong case against republicans doing more than "Dog catcher" based on the past actions of a Grinrich or a Bush.

So "entertainers" who are losing sponsors simply because they are on the same "side" as RL, but have not weighed in - are being treated unfairly.
  • S* Darnel 2012/03/15 22:47:22
    S*
    +1
    fair enough. I have not heard of any tho, but you are correct, if it was merely in response to Rush.
  • SandraKogelheide 2012/03/14 22:32:19
    SandraKogelheide
    +2
    Maybe he will get the message
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/03/14 21:11:18
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +3
    awesome.
  • Pat 2012/03/12 21:54:47
    +4
    Great, they're finally coming around!
  • harley oldman 2012/03/12 12:25:33
    harley oldman
    I could give a Rat`s azz one way or the other. After checking my wallet there was no more or no less financial advantage to me. Personally I think that ANYONE (Man or Woman) that gets on National Tv "hawking" for condoms is a SLUT. ...JMHO.....
    +4
    VERY quickly the power of the people is shown to be the REAL POWER in our nation when they SPEAK WITH THEIR RETAIL DOLLARS!!!!

Here is a list of associated stores and companies that the owners of Clear Communications, BAIN CAPITOL, INC Yep you saw it right, Mitt Romney's company, ALSO OWNS!!!

Write them all to voice your distasted for Rush Limbaugh and all the other offensive prejudiced, bigoted and hatefilled commentators on Clear Communications.

A

Aleris
    AMC Theatres

B

Bavaria Yachtbau
    Bombardier Recreational Products
    Brake Bros Ltd
    Brookstone
    Burger King
    Burlington Coat Factory

C

Clear Channel Communications

D

D&M; Holdings
    Dollarama
    Domino's Pizza

E

Edcon Limited

G

GOME Electrical Appliances
    Guitar Center
    Gymboree

H

HD Supply

H cont.

Hospital Corporation of America

K

Kansas City Bolt and Nut Company plant

M

Michaels

N

NXP Semiconductors

S

Sealy Corporation
    Staples Inc.

T

Toys "R" Us

W

Warner Music Group
    The Weather Channel
  • AbadPerez 2012/03/12 03:11:54
    AbadPerez
    +7
    I hope he is taken off the air. I have been praying that his vile voice would be silenced.
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/03/12 00:44:17
    +7
    GOOD!!
  • cheshirewayne 2012/03/11 20:22:18
    cheshirewayne
    With Media Matters as a source, everthing is suspect. I realize the left want to shoot this goat and be done with it, that's why they keep pushing for a concludion. Things are just getting started and time to fill in Rush's grave just yet. In 6 months we'll take a look at things and see were they are. I don't think it will be were the left wants it to be. It appears things are already swinging the other direction.
  • Hamilton 2012/03/11 19:13:10
    Hamilton
    except that some of the companies who have bailed have gotten their bottom line whipped in the process. Good enough for them.
  • Diana 2012/03/11 19:06:10
    Diana
    Will those same advertisers who deem things that are said too controversial also pull out
    of advertising on the'' Bill Maher show'',or the'' View'' how about ABC CBS NBC CNN
    MSNBC.I find them very offensive,To the advertisers It can work both ways.
  • Tea in ... Diana 2012/03/12 01:53:36
    Tea in the Harbor
    +6
    Maher is on HBO, they don't have advertising.
  • niki 2012/03/11 18:19:28
    niki
    +7
    Hooray!!!! The force is with us!!!! Take that Jabba the Rush!
    hooray force jabba rush
  • Old Salt niki 2012/03/13 18:26:50
  • niki Old Salt 2012/03/14 19:36:58
    niki
    +2
    Send Rush this rant. It is his responsibility...NOT MINE!
  • Old Salt niki 2012/03/17 00:00:56
  • Guru_T_... Old Salt 2012/03/17 05:51:14
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    I see that your hallucinations have returned.
  • Old Salt Guru_T_... 2012/03/17 21:40:37
  • Guru_T_... Old Salt 2012/03/18 01:16:49
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    The cigar's just a prop. What's in those industrial chemicals you like to huff?
  • Old Salt Guru_T_... 2012/03/19 19:02:36
  • Guru_T_... Old Salt 2012/03/19 20:05:58
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    I'm sorry that you're an idiot.
  • niki Old Salt 2012/03/19 13:52:25
    niki
    +2
    Rush's apology was limp...
  • Old Salt niki 2012/03/19 19:03:05
  • niki Old Salt 2012/03/19 19:15:16
    niki
    +2
    I find it really humorous how you redirect the conversation away from a person who for THREE days calls a young woman who was invited and testified before members of Congress despicable names. Maher is only relevant because you on the right continue to bring him up to defend Rush's actions. Two wrongs don't make a right. Simple as that. If you were that outraged when Maher said something insulting you had the right to boycott him. That's capitalism. People know the risks of the system. What do you want socialism instead?
  • Guru_T_... niki 2012/03/19 20:07:12
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +2
    He's a little testy, isn't he? His Viagra scrip probably ran out again.
  • niki Guru_T_... 2012/03/19 23:18:19
  • Old Salt niki 2012/03/20 03:18:36
  • niki Old Salt 2012/03/20 10:58:15
    niki
    +1
    More redirection and you continue to misspell Maher. Rush Limbaugh is considered by the right to be a standard bearer. Republican politicians bow down before him. With that power comes responsiblity. Maher is a comedian, no one on the left sees him as a standard bearer with any power. Big difference. : )
  • wtxwoman 2012/03/11 17:49:54
    wtxwoman
    +5
    Great! I wish they would expand that to TV shows, too.

2014/07/29 08:42:27