Liberal Icon Nat Hentoff of The Village Voice Urges Obama Impeachment

ChiTownGirl 2014/01/21 04:08:14
Yes, Impeachment, I Agree With Nat Hentoff
No, Impeachment Out of The Question
Other
LIBERAL ICON URGES OBAMA IMPEACHMENT
Posted on January 20, 2014 by

Obama, my plan is working“THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE, DANGEROUS PRESIDENT WE’VE EVER HAD”

Garth Kant 1-20-14 WASHINGTON Worse than Richard Nixon.

nixon_press_conference-150x140An unprecedented abuse of powers. The most un-American president in the nation’s history. Nat Hentoff does not think much of President Obama.

And now, the famous journalist says it is time to begin looking into impeachment.

Hentoff sees the biggest problem as Obama’s penchant to rule by executive order when he can’t convince Congress to do things his way.

The issue jumped back into the headlines last week when, just before his first Cabinet meeting of 2014, Obama said, “I’ve got a pen and I’ve got a phone … and I can use that pen to sign executive orders and take executive actions.”

“Apparently he doesn’t give one damn about the separation of powers,” Hentoff told WND. “Never before in our history has a president done these things.”

And just to make sure everyone knows how extremely serious he regards the situation, the journalist added, “This is the worst state, I think, the country has ever been in.”

Many have regarded Hentoff as the conscience of civil libertarianism and liberalism for decades.

Recognized as one of the foremost authorities on the Bill of Rights and the Supreme Court, Hentoff was a columnist and staff writer with The Village Voice for 51 years, from 1957 until 2008, when his columns began appearing in WND.

nhentoff-150x140Hentoff left the Voice after he looked into the abortion industry, was shocked by what he found and had a falling-out with colleagues.

The First Amendment expert still hews left on many issues, railing against former President George W. Bush, former Vice President Dick Cheney, the prison at Guantanamo Bay and the National Defense Authorization Act.

But he hasn’t liked Obama from the start.

“Within a few months after he was elected, I wrote a column saying he was going to be the most destructive, dangerous president we’ve ever had,” he said.

Hentoff said people he’d known for years told him to stop being so negative and to give Obama a chance.

“Well, we’ve given him a chance. I understated the case a little.”

In other words, Hentoff thinks Obama is the most dangerous and destructive president ever.

And, that’s why the veteran journalist thinks it’s time to begin looking into impeachment.

“He has no right to do these executive orders,” Hentoff insisted, his voice reaching a crescendo of indignation.

He says Obama gets away with it only because there is no outrage in Congress, no coverage by the media and no knowledge by the public.

“He’s in a position now where he figures he’s going to do whatever he wants to do.”

In fact, Hentoff said, Obama doesn’t even pretend to care about the separation of powers between the executive branch and Congress anymore, because “He’s the boss and hardly anybody cares enough” to stop him.

The most well-known examples of Obama changing or issuing laws with the stroke of a pen by issuing executive orders include:

• Delaying the employer mandate in Obamacare
  • Changing the types of plans available under Obamacare
  • Ensuring abortions would be covered under Obamacare
  • Enacting key provisions of the failed Dream Act to halt deportations of illegal immigrants
  • Enacting stricter gun-control measures
  • Sealing presidential records
  • Creating an economic council
  • Creating a domestic policy council
  • Changing pay grades

As WND previously reported, even the the far left-leaning FactCheck wrote, “It’s true that President Obama is increasingly using his executive powers in the face of staunch Republican opposition in Congress. He’s changed federal policies on immigration and welfare and appointed officials without congressional approval.”

“I would say that never before in our history had a president done these things,” Hentoff mused.

He noted that while Nixon merely claimed that winning an election gave him the right to do what he wanted, Obama is actually doing whatever he pleases.

The journalist said he doesn’t think any other president has acted so lawlessly as a matter of habit.

“So, if this isn’t a reason for at least the start of an independent investigation that would lead to impeachment, what is?”

Hentoff is baffled that Obama should escape such scrutinywhen former President Bill Clinton faced impeachment just for being “a lousy liar.”

A big part of the problem, the journalist believes, is what he calls the utter ignorance of a huge portion of the population, which is not outraged at losing its basic right to be self-governing.

And Obama “doesn’t give a damn, because he can get away with whatever he wants.”

That’s why Hentoff called this the worst state the country has ever been in, “Even worse than Woodrow Wilson’s regime, when people could be arrested for speaking German.”

Compounding the problem he says, is the digital age, which has allowed the president to engage in unprecedented domestic spying with the apparatus of the National Security Agency.

WND asked if Obama really posed such a threat, considering he was a professor of constitutional law.

“People forget, he taught a course that he was not fully qualified to teach. But nobody seemed to care,” Hentoff observed.

He also pointed out that Obama was the only editor of the Harvard Law Review to never publish an article, something that went virtually unnoticed when voters considered his qualifications.

“See, that was a case of affirmative-action and people feeling, ‘Hey we ought to do something important, symbolically, and here’s a black guy, and he’s articulate, so we’re gonna do this.’”

Hentoff mentioned that former U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, the man Time Magazine once called “the most doctrinaire and committed civil libertarian ever to sit on the court,” once personally lectured him that “Affirmative-action on a racial basis is a total violation of the 14th Amendment, no doubt about it.”

And, referring to Obama’s presidency, the journalist said, “That’s what that kind of affirmative-action did for us.”

He told WND that he firmly believed the president does not care about due process, the separation of powers, the concept of a self-governing republic or many other basic American ideals.

And that’s why, he said, “What Obama is doing now is about as un-American as you can get.”

Hentoff wanted to make sure no one thought he was engaging in hyperbole.

He said it was literally true that Obama is “the most un-American president we’ve ever had.”

And just to make sure everybody heard him, he added, “I hope the FBI got all of that.”FBI_crop-500x3211

Hentoff is just the latest public figure to be added to the growing list of those mentioning the possible impeachment of President Obama.

Read More: http://patriotsbillboard.org/liberal-icon-urges-ob...

• Double Tee 2014/01/21 04:22:02
    Double Tee
    +8
    We all see it, even the Republicans in power and yet they don't do a damn thing about it.

• Dikki 2014/01/22 10:06:47
    Dikki
    +1
    What's the hold up? Why haven't we started the impeachment process yet? Get this criminal out of office!
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2014/01/21 18:36:45
    No, Impeachment Out of The Question
    lurx: the soda jerk
    So Jazz columnist and part time political libertarian columnist who supported the Iraq War is now a "Liberal Icon"?
  • ChiTown... lurx: t... 2014/01/21 20:36:29
    ChiTownGirl
    I bet you loved him before 2009. Total Liberal Icon to the Leftists until he started talking abortion.
  • lurx: t... ChiTown... 2014/01/21 20:42:07
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    Frankly the name doesn't necessarily ring a bell.

...I just happened to look him up on the internet to see what his views were.
  • ChiTown... lurx: t... 2014/01/21 20:50:23
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    I didn't support the Iraq War or my parents and I'm no Liberal, you can't pigeon hole ppl. Thanks for your comments. And if you've read about him, you know he's a Jazz afficionado, but a Bill of Rights and Supreme Court expert, his real forte.

American historian, novelist, jazz and country music critic, and syndicated columnist for United Media and writes regularly on jazz and country music for The Wall Street Journal. Columnist for Down Beat, The Village Voice, JazzTimes, Legal Times, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, The Progressive, Editor & Publisher and Free Inquiry. Staff writer for The New Yorker, and his writing has also been published in the New York Times, Jewish World Review, The Atlantic, The New Republic, Commonweal and in the Italian Enciclopedia dello Spettacolo.

Genius.
  • lurx: t... ChiTown... 2014/01/21 20:51:24
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    Genius?

...he did support the Iraq war after all.
  • ChiTown... lurx: t... 2014/01/21 21:13:25
    ChiTownGirl
    True, but genius enough to most likely admit he was wrong, unlike liberals who see total failure already and refuse to admit it like ones I meet every day. They start attacking the messenger, but not the message, like you did with phenomenal Mr. Hentoff. It's about Obama not Nat's accomplishments.

I always thought liberals were so open minded, it's a myth.
  • lurx: t... ChiTown... 2014/01/21 21:38:29 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    "I always thought liberals were so open minded, it's a myth."

...that's kind of funny considering how your topic is about how a "liberal icon" can disagree with Obama's policies.
  • ChiTown... lurx: t... 2014/01/21 21:46:19
    ChiTownGirl
    Ya, you're right, but they are so rare it might as well be.
  • lurx: t... ChiTown... 2014/01/21 21:54:02 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    I remember during that time, Christopher Hitchens, Peter Beinart and many others on the political left tentatively supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq, and in the case of Hitchens, I found myself supporting the views of his brother Peter, who was a conservative.
  • ChiTown... lurx: t... 2014/01/23 05:28:36
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    I heard an Interview once with both bros on it, very interesting, you're right. R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens.
  • Billyk75 2014/01/21 16:31:46
    Billyk75
    +3
    Nat Hentoff is a true liberal not the socialist/communists using the word today.
  • Yo'Adri... Billyk75 2014/01/21 20:16:37
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    Just one of your Daddy's DEMOCRATS!
  • Ashley 2014/01/21 16:08:39
    Ashley
    +4
    It will not happen with the Senate and House we have.
  • ☆ Queen... Ashley 2014/01/21 20:03:27
    ☆ QueenAline
    +3
    NOVEMBER IS COMING !!
  • Ashley ☆ Queen... 2014/01/21 20:08:44
    Ashley
    +3
    And the Republicans have a lot of work to do until then. I vote in California, so it does not help.
  • Yo'Adri... Ashley 2014/01/21 20:18:03
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    NEVER
    give up!!!!!
  • Ashley Yo'Adri... 2014/01/21 20:34:32
    Ashley
    +2
    I can see you have not!
  • Yo'Adri... ☆ Queen... 2014/01/21 20:17:29
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    Hate to wish my precious life away..........but it CAN'T come soon enough!
  • No-to-neocons 2014/01/21 15:16:36
    No, Impeachment Out of The Question
    No-to-neocons
    +1
    All you Constitution thumping hacks out there that think Pres. Obama should be impeached, I have one question, What high crime or misdemeanor has Pres. Obama committed? Answer: NONE!
  • Jane 2014/01/21 14:42:55
    No, Impeachment Out of The Question
    Jane
    Hell, congress couldn't even impeach Reagan who was as corrupt as any president in history. Forget Nixon. He didn't commit treason. Of course he didn't have hostages as an asset to bargain with our enemies. He didn't sell missiles and spare parts to the other side. He didn't give the head of the CIA brain surgery to prevent him from talking. C'mon! Nixon needed impeachment. So did Reagan. But Obama is nowhere even close.
  • dubbie 2014/01/21 12:03:28
    dubbie
    +2
    The GOP is doing more harm to themselves By not bringing it up in the house , Whether the Senate agrees or not , At least it would show America they are on our side , The way it looks now They are in agreement with democrats , Put it on the table , Let democrats block it and show the uniformed who the real traitors are that are causing them so much misery,Lame stream couldn`t keep that in the dark
  • urwutuis 2014/01/21 07:47:59
    Other
    urwutuis
    +2
    That's why liberals don't understand why conservatives don't like Obama because liberals don't like Obama.
    Like Biden is going to be less of a crook. Let it go. It's just a puppet show.
  • MLS 2014/01/21 07:32:52 (edited)
    MLS
    +4
    HAND CUFFS AND LEG IRONS

The PINK ones should be perfect for barry!
  • ChiTown... MLS 2014/01/21 20:37:51
    ChiTownGirl
    +2
    LMAO @ Pink Ones :)
  • Jedi Mind 2014/01/21 07:24:31 (edited)
    No, Impeachment Out of The Question
    Jedi Mind
    This is the same guy that defended Bush when Georgie was lying about WMD in Iraq. He's more libertarian than liberal, give me a break. He supported the invasion of Iraq and is a die hard supporter of Israel so I think we know why he has a problem with Obama.
  • USAF Vet Jedi Mind 2014/01/21 08:48:36
    USAF Vet
    +2
    At the very least, go to Wikipedia and READ about Nat Hentoff before casting aspersions on the man.
  • Jedi Mind USAF Vet 2014/01/22 19:09:21
    Jedi Mind
    straight from wikipedia

He supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq and is a supporter of Israel.

He also criticized the Democratic Party for casting doubt on President Bush's pre-war assertions about Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction in an election year.

Aspersions?
  • paulvic... Jedi Mind 2014/01/21 14:10:15
    paulvick2002
    +2
    So did Hilary Clinton and many, many Dem's....

Bush wasn't lying either, he was told about WMD's by the CIA, England, Frances and Germanys Intelligence Agencies.
  • Jedi Mind paulvic... 2014/01/22 20:40:52
    Jedi Mind
    Well I'm not sure what's worse, dishonesty or willful ignorance
  • paulvic... Jedi Mind 2014/01/26 18:13:56
    paulvick2002
    Maybe after the shock of 911 you might be more apt to listen to the rest of the World?
  • Jedi Mind paulvic... 2014/01/26 23:15:32 (edited)
    Jedi Mind
    lol Again willful ignorance. Shock? Are you one of these people that believes Bush had not been forewarned about Osama Bin Ladens intentions? Give me a break? Stop apologizing for that clown!

"Bin Ladin Determined To Strike in US was the President's Daily Brief prepared by the Central Intelligence Agency and given to U.S. President George W. Bush on Monday, August 6, 2001. The brief warned of terrorism threats from Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda 36 days before the September 11, 2001 attacks."
  • paulvic... Jedi Mind 2014/01/27 00:04:07 (edited)
    paulvick2002
    Do you know how many daily briefs they get that turn out to be nothing?? Man are you Naive...

BTW, Bill Clinton could have killed Osama in Africa and chose not to...

Nut job
  • Illuminatti 37° 2014/01/21 07:09:18
    Other
    Illuminatti 37°
    +6
    Impeachment takes too long and the corrupt Senate would not convict the communist. I suggest an immediate FORCED resignation and relinquishment of all pay, benefits, and federal pension.
  • Biki~pw... Illumin... 2014/01/21 20:54:26
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    but how?? I know there is an American Spring march on DC planned for this March I think it is, but you know the media won't cover it, (think the veterans march and the truckers protest) and when you see snipers on the roof of the White House when veterans stacked the barriers up next to the White House fence, you get the feeling NOTHING will drag that slug out of his executive chair. =-{
  • TheTruth1313 2014/01/21 06:00:39
  • Biki~pwcm/potl~ 2014/01/21 05:28:02
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    +7
    Wow! What a nice Birthday present for me to see this!!
  • ChiTown... Biki~pw... 2014/01/21 06:14:38
    ChiTownGirl
    +4
    Hey girl, Happy Birthday To You, I'm glad this is a little present for you...
    fireworks gif
    birthday cake with burning candles gif
    birthday flower bouquet
    champagne glass toast gif
  • Biki~pw... ChiTown... 2014/01/21 20:52:18
    Biki~pwcm/potl~
    Thanks! I'm headed to town to see my son and have dinner tonight to continue the celebration. 8~}
  • Dan der Mensch 2014/01/21 04:56:49
    Other
    Dan der Mensch
    +3
    Obama's just a suit in the WH, it's the electorate we have to worry about. The next guy will do the exact same thing. Republican or Democrat - it doesn't matter. The levy has been breached, the seal has been broken.

2014/10/25 00:49:00