Let's end the lie that Black Americans commit the most crimes

Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET 2012/05/31 23:21:05
I didn't know this
Other
I knew
A White person is more likely to be hit by lightening than, attacked by a minority.

Overall whites commit 70% of all crime in the USA. The media does not talk about this.

According to Justice Department statistics (pdf), 84 percent of white people killed every year are killed by other whites.

The truth? As the largest racial group, whites commit the majority of crimes in America. In particular, whites are responsible for the vast majority of violent crimes. With respect to aggravated assault, whites led blacks 2-1 in arrests; in forcible-rape cases, whites led all racial and ethnic groups by more than 2-1. And in larceny theft, whites led blacks, again, more than 2-1.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/cont...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/c...

The term "black on black" crime is a destructive, racialized colloquialism that perpetuates an idea that blacks are somehow more prone to violence. This is untrue and fully verifiable by FBI, DOJ and census (pdf) data. Yet the fallacy is so fixed that even African Americans have come to believe it.

http://www.census.gov/compend...

African-American media and policymakers have been equally complicit in promoting a "black-on-black crime" anecdote, thinking that it could help address some of the community's problems; but what it has actually done is provide support for racial profiling and promote the disproportionate policing of black criminality as "legitimate" and "acceptable." This over-policing has led to disproportionately higher rates of arrests in black communities, reinforcing the idea that blacks commit more crimes.

If we were to talk about "white-on-white crime," then at least we'd be addressing issues like gun violence in a racially neutral way. That doesn't happen because too many Americans remain convinced that black or brown people are the problem. Respected journalists like George Will further perpetuate lies as fact when they make blanket statements that support an ill-conceived narrative.

It seems that the media in general and white American society in particular prefer to focus on crime perpetrated by African Americans because it serves as a way to absolve them from the violence, prejudice and institutionalized discrimination engendered for generations against blacks. It offers a buffer against responsibility, a way to shift blame and deflect cause and effect. But the truth, and numbers, tell a different story.

The myth of black-on-black violence has become a stain on the sociopolitical consciousness and indelibly imbues mindsets as well as public policy. At the heart of an increasingly violent society is not a subculture among blacks but the violence and criminality of many Americans, and whites in particular. No one seems to speak about this. Why? Because the snake oil was duly purchased and consumed. It is time for race-based pseudo-facts to be challenged and dismantled.

• bob 2013/05/22 23:08:43
    Other
    bob
    The FBI actually clumps hispanics in with the "white" population so in reality yes, the black population that makes up 12% of America actually commits just as much crime as the white and Hispanic community combined. If you still don't believe this please just take a look at any American jail-http://www.project.org/i...
    commits crime white hispanic community combined american jail-httpwww project orgi
    This is most likely due to the lack of education in black communities.
  • Latti I... bob 2013/05/23 02:07:51
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Wrong; you showed the number of people who are incarcerated, not the stats on violent crimes. This is the mistakes many who are ignorant, stupid or just plain spiteful showcase. The fact is that Black Americans account for 28% of all violent crimes; White account for 69% of all violent crimes.

Black Americans have the highest incarceration rate due to 'The War on Drugs' and 'Racism'. 66% of crack users are White; only 7.8% go into prison. 13.8% of crack users are Black and 80% go to prison. Talk about a double standard; oh, and people of African descent account for 14% of the population.
  • Melizmatic Latti I... 2013/05/23 02:15:03
    Melizmatic
    +1
    Don't play with the socks, Mah; it only encourages them.
  • Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstr... 2012/06/02 14:59:26
    Other
    Jump Back Jack ~ The Minstrel of *þᾞमेॐऊ

You can't use cumulative statistics to make a point when dealing with population demographics. This statement is totally meaningless and the reason nobody talks about it is because it's irrelevant.
  • Latti I... Jump Ba... 2012/06/02 15:16:02
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    "You can't use cumulative statistics to make a point when dealing with population demographics."

Yes you can; it's done on an everyday basis to other demographics, mostly minorities. Now when doing the same to the majority; now it is taboo and moot, nice try.
  • ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET 2012/06/01 21:14:27
    I knew
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    +3
    A little salt in the wound

• Rogue_Loner 2012/06/01 11:59:54 (edited)
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/06/01 07:57:30
    I knew
    VERYwiseguy
    +1
    People are talking per ratio,but lump blacks into and overall figure.They do it with Latino/Hispanic minorities also.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2012/06/01 07:25:45
    I didn't know this
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +1
    Another great post, be back later
  • Latti I... C-ZAR™,... 2012/06/01 07:28:16
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    Thanks C; I'm going to be dismantling all of these lies and stereotypes about Black people.
  • David Hussey 2012/06/01 07:01:45
    Other
    David Hussey
    +2
    Lets just stop including someones race in the discussion of anything. Black, white, brown.... whatever, it matters not to me. A thief is a thief, a murderer a murderer!

And statistics can be a double edged sword Latrice. While you can say that whites led blacks 2-1 in arrests to claim that whites commit twice as many crimes, that can also can be used to show that on an individual level a black individual is more likely than a white to be arrested. Which in and of itself is meaningless anyways, for arrests don't correlate to crimes committed and certainly doesn't deal with the police's predilection to look for minority suspects while ignoring white ones.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong in my approach to this Latrice. I just can't understand or relate to considering somebody's race, to me it simply should not be relevant
  • Latti I... David H... 2012/06/01 07:18:40
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    I'm trying to show how Conservatives lie on this site about interracial crimes. White Americans kill other White Americans 84% of the time. Black on Black 94% of the time when a violent crime is committed. Black crime in violence isn't higher than White Americans; though when a violent crime is done by a Black criminal, it is 8 times more likely to be done to another Black person. For White criminals 6.5 times more likely to be another White person than anyone else.
  • FeedFwd... Latti I... 2012/06/01 18:37:59
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    Is it a lie if you believe and parrot what you have been told? There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. If your point is that as a race, black people are not more evil than white people, then I absolutely agree with you. I think most violent crimes and most crimes in general are committed by the poor. There are white collar and blue collar crimes, so in terms of fraud and theft, white collar crimes can be especially high dollar crimes. I think you would agree that (though not because of race) blacks are disproportionately represented among the poor. And as David mentioned, rightly or wrongly, the police are likely to be more suspicious of minority suspects than white ones. This is as true for black cops as it is for white cops. By all means, bring forth statistics like the ones above, but don't make the same errors as the conservatives you condemn by using statistics to paint an incomplete picture leading to erroneous conclusions.
  • David H... Latti I... 2012/06/02 00:59:45
    David Hussey
    +1
    I understand this, and I know what you are trying to do Latrice, it is a noble cause. I just wanted to make my point, that until we all stop segregating by race we cannot expect racism to leave us. When you group people racially, even if the grouping casts them in a positive light, it is still perpetuating distinction by race
  • Latti I... David H... 2012/06/02 14:36:09
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    You're right D; I just want to clear up the lies or distortion about Black Americans.
  • David H... Latti I... 2012/06/02 20:52:24
    David Hussey
    +1
    I know Latrice, and I commend you for it. I just took the opportunity to express what I believe is the only way to be rid of the racism.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2012/06/01 06:05:39
    Other
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    ''Let's end the lie that Black Americans commit the most crimes''
    Good luck, the facts are not in your corner, no matter how you torture the data.

''whites led blacks 2-1 in arrests; in forcible-rape cases, whites led all racial and ethnic groups by more than 2-1. And in larceny theft, whites led blacks, again, more than 2-1.

Blacks make up only 16% of the population.
  • Latti I... Bureauc... 2012/06/01 06:08:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    LOL!!! 70% of America's total violent crimes are committed by White Americans; nice try.
  • Bureauc... Latti I... 2012/06/01 10:43:03
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +1
    In 2008, the offending rate for blacks (24.7 offenders per 100,000) was 7 times higher than the rate for whites (3.4 offenders per 100,000) ( figure 18).

The offending rate for blacks showed a similar pattern to the victimization rate, peaking in the early 1990s at a high of 51.1 offenders per 100,000 in 1991.

After 1991, the offending rate for blacks declined until it reached 24 per 100,000 in 2004. The rate has since fluctuated, increasing to 28.4 offenders per 100,000 in 2006 before falling again to 24.7 offenders per 100,000 in 2008.

Page 11 of YOUR document.
  • Latti I... Bureauc... 2012/06/01 12:47:20 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET

It seems that the media in g...

Of 9.5 million offenses charged, 6.7 million whites were arrested, compared to 2.5 million blacks.

The most common crimes were drug abuse violations, resulting in arrest of 770,430 whites and 381,006 blacks.

Whites were far more likely to be arrested driving under the influence. Of 998,035 total offenses, 877,810 of those arrested where whites.

Whites outnumbered blacks about 2-1 in arrests for other crimes, including rape (11,766-6,114), aggravated assault (203,076-103,697), burglary (143,889-103,697) and larceny/theft (556,215-233,806.)

Whites also were most often arrested for motor vehicle theft, arson, other assaults, fraud, embezzlement, dealing in stolen property, vandalism, weapons charges, prostitution, sex offenses, crimes against families and children, liquor laws, drunkenness, disorderly conduct, vagrancy, curfew and loitering, suspicion, as runaways and all other offenses not including traffic.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/c...

Just to compare, the number of Americans struck by lightning every year: 360.

A white person is 6.5 times more likely to be killed by another white. Even if this was achieved by whites avoiding blacks, then whites are 6.5 times more afraid of blacks than they should be.

White fear is not based on fact. It is based on stereotypes and on the fear that blacks want revenge, a fear as old as slave days.

You see this in the way they twist crime statistics. Even when you untwist them, they quickly find some other way to twist them back. Which shows their fears were never based on the numbers to begin with – they just use those numbers as a fig leaf to cover their racism.

Or take white flight: whites say it is caused by black crime. I have lived in two such places 30 to 40 years after whites left: One was extremely violent and the other was the safest place I have ever lived, safer than any white or mixed neighbourhood I have ever lived in.

You got to take neighbourhoods and people case by case. To judge them simply by their race is racist. It is nuts that I even have to say that.

Should I then fear whites in general? Does that even make sense?
  • Bureauc... Latti I... 2012/06/03 05:35:55
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    ''As the largest racial group, whites commit the majority of crimes in America.''

As the largest racial group , whites commit the majority of crimes in America. Get the point

''White fear is not based on fact''
    In 2008, the offending rate for blacks (24.7 offenders per 100,000) was 7 times higher than the rate for whites (3.4 offenders per 100,000)

Black or White, you are safer in a white neighborhood, so get over it. Cherry picking the numbers will not change that fact.
  • Latti I... Bureauc... 2012/06/03 06:06:43
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    You must be really slow if you believe Shelmet Louisiana, many places in Michigan, Ohio and the list goes on is safer me to go to, than the safe big population of excellent Black Americans in West Orange NJ. That alone shows you are an idiot to believe any White neighborhood is safer. Sorry; I rather live in the nice neighborhood of West Orange with people who have good jobs and work hard. LOL!! In addition you are more likely to be killed by a White person; the irony in your stupidity is laughable.

African-American media and policymakers have been equally complicit in promoting a "black-on-black crime" anecdote, thinking that it could help address some of the community's problems; but what it has actually done is provide support for racial profiling and promote the disproportionate policing of black criminality as "legitimate" and "acceptable." This over-policing has led to disproportionately higher r...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/c...

• Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2012/06/01 02:55:25
    I didn't know this
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    Not the full details anyway. The problem with bigots is they'll believe what they want despite contradictory evidence.
  • Latti I... Ruby De... 2012/06/01 02:57:09
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Exactly!
  • Bureauc... Ruby De... 2012/06/01 10:44:16
    Bureauc 0Bamao

Page 11 of the document attached to this blog post.
  • Latti I... Bureauc... 2012/06/01 12:47:41 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1

It seems that the media in g...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/c...

• Ruby De... Bureauc... 2012/06/01 18:20:53
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    Latrice has linked the FBI website as her source. You've copied and pasted from a blog, which you didn't even link to.
  • Latti I... Ruby De... 2012/06/01 18:24:24
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    It's what my professor told me once; people will always try to spin numbers to fit their agenda or perception. He knows 94% of Black criminals kill other Black citizens and White criminals kill 84% of White citizens. He know when they state Black Americans are 7 times more likely to commit a crime against one another; not the general population. All in all; people want to believe in the stereotypes about most Black Americans, because it gives them an excuse to be racist.
  • Ruby De... Latti I... 2012/06/01 18:43:43
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    You tell them, Latrice :)
  • Bureauc... Ruby De... 2012/06/03 05:39:47
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +1
    I cited information from Latrice's link on her blog. Information she conveniently glosses over. That trumps your useless post
  • Latti I... Bureauc... 2012/06/03 06:07:04
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    lol
  • Nick S. Latti I... 2014/08/20 15:24:58
  • Nick S. Latti I... 2014/08/20 15:25:57
    Nick S.
    +3
    There is no profanity in my previous/other comment. I think somebody at Sodahead didn't want my words to be seen.
  • Greatkibble 2012/06/01 01:29:56
    I knew
    Greatkibble
    +2
    At least I got the detailed reasons why now though.

preach on
  • stephanie16 2012/06/01 01:17:34
  • Latti I... stephan... 2012/06/01 01:50:36
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET

It seems that the media in g...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/c...

• Soundstorm 2012/06/01 01:15:11
    Other
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Of course black Americans don't commit the most crimes. They're only 12% of the population. But a larger portion of black Americans live criminal lifestyles than comparable portions of any other ethnic group in America. Is that not deplorable?
  • Latti I... Soundstorm 2012/06/01 01:36:25 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    What is deplorable are liars who state interracial crimes are leading, when they are rare. Actually 13.2%; actually most Blacks are not living the criminal lifestyle. It's just stereotypes and propaganda that make others believe that.

People choose to see what they want to see, which isn't surprising.
  • Soundstorm Latti I... 2012/06/01 02:12:24
    Soundstorm
    +1
    I never said interracial crimes were leading the statistics. I stay out of bad neighborhoods. Blacks are pretty much killing each other every day. No, I'm not glad about that.
  • Latti I... Soundstorm 2012/06/01 02:25:13 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    LMAO! You do realize there are 42 million Black Americans and crime is less than 3 million. lol

84% of Whites kill other Whites; stop acting dense. Even if minorities were not in this country; it will be the same.

2014/09/22 16:03:12