Legalize and Tax Marijuana?

Mopvyzo 2012/03/31 07:20:11
Maybe

Read More: http://www.legalizationofmarijuana.com

• Thomas Olson 2012/03/31 07:48:06
    Thomas Olson
    +10
    The chief argument against legalizing marijuana is that "marijuana is a gateway drug." This is crap, pure and simple. The only reason marijuana could be considered a gateway drug is, because it's illegal, those who wish to use marijuana are in contact with people who sell other illegal drugs.

The second most quoted thing about marijuana is that "marijuana has no medicinal value." IF this is true then how do you explain Marinol (a synthetic from of THC, the "active ingredient" in marijuana)?

Marijuana was originally made illegal because people with big money started a smear campaign. Marijuana was painted as evil NOT because of anything to do with marijuana itself but because those money men were invested in chemicals, specifically chemicals used to make paper from wood. Why? Because HEMP, a close cousin of cannabis (marijuana) makes superior paper WITHOUT the use of the chemicals needed to make paper from wood.

The continuing illegality of marijuana prevents the use of hemp, the longest and strongest natural plant fibers. Entire industries could benefit from the legalization of marijuana as it would allow the use of hemp which can be used to make literally thousands of products ranging from clothing and food to composite materials for construction and even plastics and fuel.

In short the benefits of legalizing marijuana go FAR beyond merely letting people get high, and the potential for revenue goes far beyond taxing marijuana.

• Thank you but no... 2012/04/16 17:56:54
    Thank you but no...
  • Sadisticon 2012/04/15 20:43:54
    Sadisticon
    Today, i'm all in favour of it.
  • A Lionheart 2012/04/12 03:30:00
  • Timeworn 2012/04/06 20:34:44
    Timeworn
    Then less people would get their asses in jail for possessing/smoking/selling something that hardly does anything bad to you.
  • Limeh 2012/04/03 15:45:37
    Limeh
    It would earn the country money rather than costing them millions to try and stop it..
  • Avenged7 2012/04/02 18:14:48
    Avenged7
    YES!!! Do it, and have the same regulations as cigarettes.
  • Spyderman739 2012/04/02 15:28:48
    Spyderman739
    +1
    Sure, why not? We could eliminate the national debt and have a doped up citizenry that doesn't give a hoot about anything the gov't does to them.
  • JAA Spyderm... 2012/04/09 00:11:27
    JAA
    We've already got half the country in that state (progressives). As long as it's an option, I imagine conservatives won't be buying, but I can see it being a part of the health care bill . . . mandatory maryjane in lieu of expensive surgeries.
    No.
  • rand 2012/04/02 04:09:23
    rand
    Come on! If Pat Robertson has figured it out, it's not rocket science. But then it hasn't been difficult to understand since we learned from "Prohibition" ...or some of us did.
  • mamacrash 2012/04/02 02:51:34
    mamacrash
    Of course we should, our deficit could vanish in a matter of a few years and cancer patients as well as other terminally ill patients could not only feel better but eat and sleep better. i have seen cancer and AIDS patients benefit greatly with the use of marijuana or THC.
  • Robert 2012/04/02 01:00:01
  • Catalana 2012/04/02 00:12:31
    Catalana
    Luckily in Ca it's already semi legal but they should do away with the prescription.
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2012/04/01 23:19:59
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    +1
    This is a no brainer.
    Reduces the cost of enforcement.
    Reduces cost of our prison systems.
    Removes a commodity from cartel profits.
    Reduces the number of persons with criminal records.
    Adds to government income at all levels.
  • Edwin 2012/04/01 22:36:55
    Edwin
    I predict liberals say yes because pot should be legal, conservatives say no because pot is immoral, and libertarians say no because tax on a product is government intrusion.

Personally, I think we should legalize it and tax it for this reason: prosecuting costs way too much money in a time when we lack money, jailing people for pot takes way too much money -- keeping them in jail, keeping them out of the work force, and taxing it will generate gobs of cash. Regulate it -- change ATF to ATFM (or whatever).
  • rhstarr 2012/04/01 21:29:50
    rhstarr
    Its safer than other drugs its an herb. And its not like people get addicted to it and start killing and robbing for more. I see nothing wrong with it, I mean the worse thing that could happen is a lot of fast food resturants and grocery stores would be busier due to people having the munchies.
  • Claybern 2012/04/01 17:16:04
    Claybern
    +1
    Why not. It's safer then booze and it could go along way towards paying down the national debt by taxing it. And it is good medicine for people who have chronic pain.
  • happyman 2012/04/01 16:45:51
    happyman
    Just like Alcohol, people cannot manage themselves. It is the people that cannot make good chices if and when they use. There will always be the abuse. It is human nature.
    Govenment should not be involved if this were a Perfect World.
  • hagerthehorrible 2012/04/01 14:29:42
    hagerthehorrible
    +2
    This is an old one. We are all aware that MJ is relatively harmless. Even less harmless the alcohol. The world just needs to past it's prejudices.
  • YouSirName hagerth... 2012/04/01 17:05:45
    YouSirName
    +1
    It will happen. RJ Reynolds is already buying land in California to use for growing marijuana. Once money gets behind it, politics will follow.
  • hagerth... YouSirName 2012/04/01 21:34:23
  • gaylehelen 2012/04/01 13:02:51
    gaylehelen
    I think it is so hypocritical to allow alcohol to be bought and sold, but marijuana is illegal in most states. It definitely has medicinal purposes. People need to accept that fact.
    Have any of you had the miserable experience of living next to a drunkard? Unfortunately, we have, not just once but twice over our near 25 years together. Waking up to a drunken neighbor stuck in your tree (she decided to climb a sap oozing pine tree) is a miserable way to start one's day.
    In order not to be blatant hyprocrits, we should tax both alcohol and marijuana. Hey, the cartels make a lot of money off pot, why shouldn't we reap the benefits for a change. This income could help in so many ways it's not funny. We're letting profits go into the hands of criminals who then engage in further criminal activity.
    Oh, I could go on and on, but I think you get my point of view on this one.
  • Anonymous Coward218 2012/04/01 12:56:45
    Anonymous Coward218
    Sorry, but even legalized, it IS and WOULD REMAIN a gateway drug. It will always be a gateway drug. It depends on the type of high that the druggie is into....a person who likes uppers isn't going to gravitate to weed just because it is legal.
    That said, I AM for legalization, and tax the hell out of it! Take some of the drug money out of the hands of criminals, and put it back in the economy!
  • Zacky D Anonymo... 2012/04/04 10:10:04
    Zacky D
    personal experience: it is not a gateway drug.
  • clasact 2012/04/01 11:50:04
    clasact
    just get it over with we have been hearing about this for years
  • VampFreak13 2012/04/01 08:35:25
    VampFreak13
    +1
    But they won't...that would be the smart thing to do... :)
  • Don Perro 2012/04/01 05:57:29
    Don Perro
    +1
    Is a no brainer.
  • docdj 2012/04/01 05:18:02
    docdj
    +1
    'Hey this is Dave let me in"
    'Dave's not here man'
    "I know, I'm Dave, let me in'
    "No way man, Dave's not here'
    'Man this IS Dave, let me in the cops are coming'
    'Dave's not here man'
    .
    .
    .
    hey dave daves dave daves dave cops daves
    Dave s not here
    Dave s not here
    Dave s not here
    Dave s not here
  • Dawn Jacquelyn 2012/04/01 02:44:36
    Dawn Jacquelyn
    +2
    If alcohol is legal, why not pot? And no, I'm not a pot smoker. Tried it (when I was 38!!) and hated it. But I feel sick people should be able to get it legally, even people who are not sick - I think alcohol is worse.
  • SirJame... Dawn Ja... 2012/04/01 03:16:58
    SirJames777
    You are absolutely right!!!
  • Anonymo... Dawn Ja... 2012/04/01 13:02:22
    Anonymous Coward218
    There is a breathalyzer to detect alcohol, and it is out of your system in 48 hours. Pot remains there for 28 days! IF it is legal, how do you keep school bus drivers, and the like from using it? Afterall, they CAN drink when they are OFF duty, but no test exists to tell WHEN cannabis is ingested. Sick people can already get Marinol, or Dronabinol.
  • Lakota ... Anonymo... 2012/04/08 15:44:21
    Lakota Deviant
    Yes it is detectable when u ingest it same as if u smoked it. I don't know why you would think that.
  • Zippcodey 2012/04/01 02:30:26
    Zippcodey
    But this Christian country has legalized abortion, alcohol, homosexual marriage, homosexual adoptions, gambling, so why not prostitution and dope too right?
  • docdj Zippcodey 2012/04/01 05:09:33
    docdj
    How old are you that you call Cannabis, dope?
    old hillbilly
  • Zippcodey docdj 2012/04/01 07:53:27
    Zippcodey
    It's dope, it takes a dope to use it. Just another way of getting high. Like I said this Christian country legalizes anything.
  • Anonymo... docdj 2012/04/01 13:04:23
    Anonymous Coward218
    Dope refers to ANY drug among non-users. Any particular reason you immediately thought about smack that you'd care to share?
  • Beverly 2012/04/01 01:33:17
    Beverly
    +3
    I strongly believe that the benefits of marijourana out weight the unproven side affects. I have never used it but know many nice peopel that have to reduce stress, help wiht medical issues and just because they enjoy it.
  • Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/01 01:02:20
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Why stop at just Marijuana? I say legalize and tax ALL Recreational drugs and let adults choose their poison.

Some say it would cause more problems like traffic accidents or criminal activity... I say "Book'em Danno" for the crimes committed. But if they choose to sit in the privacy of their own home and drug them selves into a comatose vegomatic, that fine by me so long as my tax bucks don't have to fund the moron's rehab costs. That can be paid for by taxing the crap out of the drugs in the first place.

Hey, I like to hunt and fish... and hunting & fishing licenses PAY FOR the Department of Natural Resources which helps hunters, fishermen and maintains rules and regs for the environment. The drugs should do the same for the dopers... let their own taxes pay for the regulation, enforcement and addict rehab. If people can commit suicide, then they should be allowed to kill themselves with the poison of their choice.
  • Anonymo... Adakin ... 2012/04/01 13:09:21
    Anonymous Coward218
    Ah yes, because I just would LOVE to live in a society where a drug that is 1200x MORE addictive than crack cocaine (crystal meth) is LEGAL! Are you insane, or just didn't THINK before you chimed in? As it stands NOW, it is easy to make, and epidemic. (just because you have blinders on does not mean it isn't going on around you!) legalize a poison like that, and you will have one hell of a problem on your hands!
  • Adakin ... Anonymo... 2012/04/01 14:36:37

2014/11/24 15:18:23