Laura Bush Wants Out of Gay Marriage Ad: Should the Coalition Have Included Her in the First Place?

AdriHead 2013/02/22 20:00:00
She may think gay people should have the same rights as anyone else, but former first lady Laura Bush does not think a gay marriage coalition has the right to use her in an ad!

Bush recently asked to be removed from an ad created by the Respect for Marriage Coalition, in which they share a clip of Bush saying on CNN "When couples are committed to each other and love each other then they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has."

Bush's spokeswoman Anne MacDonald said that the former first lady asked to be removed from the campaign after finding out that she was being featured in it. MacDonald said that Bush "did not approve of her inclusion in this advertisement nor is she associated in any way with the group that made the ad."

Do you think that the gay marriage coalition should have included Bush's public comments in the ad in the first place? Or should they have asked for her permission beforehand?

CSMONITOR.COM reports:
The national advertising campaign of print, television and online ads that launched this week featured a quote from an appearance by Bush on CNN in which she says: 'When couples are committed to each other and love each other then they ought to have the same sort of rights that everyone has.'
featured quote appearance bush cnn couples committed love sort rights

Read More: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/201...

• keeper 2013/02/22 21:31:40
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    keeper
    +16
    I think she has grounds for a lawsuit just to prove a point!

• i don't care 2013/10/13 09:49:53
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    i don't care
    but if she has a heart, she would willingly allow them to use the footage for a good cause.
  • Mick 2013/03/03 07:06:04
  • skip 2013/02/27 11:28:56
    Yes, she publicly advocated for gay rights
    skip
    and the drunk can have her picture witn mother against drunk drivers too
  • lambchopp 2013/02/27 04:45:04
    lambchopp
    Especially after the elections drag every nuance and miscontrue statements by anyone to drum for any cause, Laura's statement was clear, why does she want to rescind that now? This campaign is likely to pull the statement just from respect of her request.
    When public statements like "you didn't build that" are misquoted, taken out of context, used to trash someone dishonestly, this issue pales in comparison.
  • B.O.Plenty 2013/02/27 02:15:26
    B.O.Plenty
    What the hell laura is married to the bigest queer on the planet and she wants out of an add.
  • T 2013/02/27 00:39:36
    T
    +2
    I think they should honor her request if she asks to be removed from an ad, but I don't think that there is any legal weight behind the request. When a public figure makes a public statement, they lose the right to control that statement. Just think about campaign ads before elections. How many of those have quotes from a candidate that the candidate wouldn't want in an ad. With that in mind, Laura isn't even being misquoted or quoted out of context.

That being said I think it is the respectable thing to do to remove her from the ad now that she has requested it.
  • Old Hippie Dude 2013/02/26 23:41:42
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Old Hippie Dude
    She only said what she did in keeping with the PC FL that she was. Perhaps she has had a change of mind or change of heart. I am frankly very tired of the LGBT-GLAAD activists' overbearing "Gay Inclusion" clause in everything from TV commercials, sitcoms, TV dramas, and movies to the two dads ads in JCP catalog, and everything in between.
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2013/02/26 22:04:24
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    +1
    "Do you think that the gay marriage coalition should have included Bush's public comments in the ad in the first place? Or should they have asked for her permission beforehand?"

The important factor is, of course, that the comments were public.
  • betty 2013/02/26 19:58:44
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    betty
    +4
    Everyone who wants to put anyone in an ad.. Should simply get permission.
  • raine 2013/02/26 19:28:26
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    raine
    She dosen't want to be there, she didn't say they can use her. That is criminal. Why do gay people think they can do whatever they want????
  • elijahin24 2013/02/26 19:18:47
    elijahin24
    +1
    She made that statement on CNN. CNN owns that footage. Theirs is the only permission needed. If she regrets saying it, she can retract, but she said it on camera on CNN. So her permission to use CNN footage is irrelevant.
  • JoeBob Scruggs 2013/02/26 17:16:07
    JoeBob Scruggs
    F Laura Bush.
  • Todd The Libertarian 2013/02/26 16:49:18
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Todd The Libertarian
    +2
    I am from the old school.I leave first ladies alone.That includes M.S Obama.
  • JoeBob ... Todd Th... 2013/05/08 09:07:07
    JoeBob Scruggs
    Very white of you
  • Todd Th... JoeBob ... 2013/05/09 14:34:19
    Todd The Libertarian
    lmfao what a stupid statement.Are you saying blacks n latinos n asians have no manners?
  • Diddley Squat 2013/02/26 16:31:54
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Diddley Squat
    +2
    I'm divided on this one. If she said it publicly, then the campaign has the right to use the video. But that isn't the same as saying they should.
  • theprothinker 2013/02/26 16:27:33
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    theprothinker
    +2
    Homosexuals have the same marriage rights as anyone. Any homosexual man can marry a woman, just like a heterosexual man can. Any homosexual woman can marry a man, just like a heterosexual woman can.
  • jorge0214 theprot... 2013/02/27 00:36:37
    jorge0214
    Maybe thats why the divorce rate is almost 50% for hetro couples? ;-)
    Why would someone want to marry someone they don't love?

I honestly do not care about this issue, but I just don't understand this fear of equality...
    Is that not a basic value of our country?
  • theprot... jorge0214 2013/02/27 18:38:51
    theprothinker
    +2
    Does a tree have an equal right to be a dog? Are roses priced higher than carnations because there's lack of equality among flowers? A rose is a rose. Marriage is the mating of two people of opposite gender. That's just what it is. Maybe that divorce rate among heterosexual couples is what it is because of our society's screwed up notions about marriage? Homosexual "marriage" is just an extention of that confusion.
  • Old Hip... theprot... 2013/02/28 07:59:00
    Old Hippie Dude
    +2
    "Our screwed up notions about marriage" from being brain-scrubbed by the LGBT-GLAAD agenda in all MSM including insipid movies, and TV sitcoms and dramas ("gay inclusion") to inane commercials ("gay inclusion,") Have you noticed that all heterosexual couples and individuals on TV are portrayed as dithering, blithering, unkempt, slovenly, gruesome dolts? I have. Further, If you're a busines, and you have a disdain for homosexual behavior, better keep it on the 'down low' or they will make you pay, to wit, Chick-Filet.

"Equality" as a minority group, based solely on preferred sexual activity or "behavior?" Well, now that's a first.
  • theprot... Old Hip... 2013/02/28 17:44:50
    theprothinker
    You are absolutely right.
  • Old Hip... jorge0214 2013/02/28 07:40:56
    Old Hippie Dude
    "Equality?" Based on nothing at all excepting abnormal sexual behavior? Is there some other considerable distinction, defining characteristic, or trait for "gays?" Nada? Hmmm. . .

That's 'hetero,' jorge. If the institution of marriage is so screwed up, as you articulate here, why are homosexual activists from LGBT, and GLAAD, et al, fighting to legalize the legal term "marriage," in every state, having repeatedly turned down offers to be legally bound as a "couple" with a "Civil Union" contract and all consequential spousal perquisites? Nope, Gotta be "MARRIAGE!?" Figure. ?

You speak of "love." I have loved many men in my lifetime but I have never wanted to engage in sexual intercourse with any of them. I assume homo'sex'ual couples have sexual intercourse to consummate their "marriage," as with heterosexual, conventional marriage. Peace, OHD
  • Old Hip... theprot... 2013/02/28 07:44:10
    Old Hippie Dude
    Well, the thinking is a little convoluted, but I think I understand, and agree in principle, at least, prothinker.
  • Cliff 2013/02/26 15:45:00
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Cliff
    Isn't it magnanimous of the gay rights crowd to give a celebrity's Christianity a pass if the celebrity shows any sign of sympathy for their cause?
  • MetroidJunkie2009 2013/02/26 12:34:09
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    MetroidJunkie2009
    I don't care if you're for Gay Marriage or not, they still used her image for commercial purposes without her consent. That's illegal because it's violating her rights to her own image.
  • JoeBob ... Metroid... 2013/05/08 09:10:20
    JoeBob Scruggs
    No dumbass. She is a public figure making public statements . F her. & F her whole family of idiots and devil spawn
  • Carlo 2013/02/26 12:16:45
    Carlo
    And now that her husband has rapped a pillaged and no longer needs the gay vote, she probably wants as far from them as possible. I say make an example out of her and keep her in the ad. You people who back her hypocrisy, deserve everything that comes to you for that behavior as well. Your day is coming.too.
  • rory.ca... Carlo 2013/02/26 13:01:25
    rory.calhoun.90
    +1
    Bush did not need the gay vote and didn't ask for it. You have him confused with your savior Obama again. Laura Bush did not advocate for gay rights she made a simple statement that could relate to a couple of sheep as well as human beings. Go light your flame somewhere else.......
  • Carlo rory.ca... 2013/02/28 17:56:17 (edited)
    Carlo
    My Savior. That truly shows your ignorance. You dont know me from adam idiot.
    To begin with, I dont and have not paid very close attention to the details of GWBs wife's statement either. Seeming friendly to a group is using them if you didnt mean it! Anything his wife makes a statement to is political! Personally I only thought to use her to make an example of her, I didnt say it was right. That my friend is the only flame I'm burning, unless its the one government intruding on anyone's rights so long as it is currently happening without society breaking down, you and I dont have to like it, but since it doesnt effect us if we worry about our own problems and leave all others alone that aren't hurting anyone and just want the same life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as the rest of the world deserves, flame your talking about?

George wanted gay votes as much as any other politician! You made it sound as though I thought he was looking for all the gay votes. Who are you trying to fool?
    In case you didn't grasp that, being gay doesn't mean they all think the same way and certainly dont vote the same. I'm sure I could qualify that without ever having met one as well.
  • WinterLynn Carlo 2013/02/26 19:57:10
  • Old Hip... Carlo 2013/02/28 08:09:00
    Old Hippie Dude
    Talk about "behavior" and "hypocrisy." How the hell has Bush "rapped a pillaged?" That makes no sense. I am NO Bush fan but I don't think you mean that. 'Raped and pillaged' doesn't sound much better, at least not in this context. "Your day is coming?" You're scaring somebody. Peace, OHD
  • nicesteve 2013/02/26 08:18:54 (edited)
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    nicesteve
    No organization has the right to use anyone in their promotions,
    without the consent of the affected party. And the fact that the
    same advocated in favor of the concerned organization, or not,
    should be irrelevent. To do so, is to leave themselves wide open
    to a libel or slander lawsuit, and /or even worse, criminal charges.
  • jorge0214 nicesteve 2013/02/27 00:47:20
    jorge0214
    That is totally not true.
    If you are a public figure and make a public statement it is in the public domain.
    Maybe what you are missing here- she isn't endorsing a product.
    If what you posted was true- pretty much all of the right-wing attack ads using the president and Mrs Obama would have been banned and Carl Rove would be in jail.
    Are you a lawyer?
  • raymond.hedley.9 2013/02/26 06:42:17
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    raymond.hedley.9
    +1
    Shows - you have to be very careful - what you say and promote - because the preverted lost soul of these degenerates - will twist it for their own agendas and they will. No matter what their IQ or Status in this world - they don't answer to straights - they'll ultimately answer to their Creator and justify their lifestyle to HIM alone. But their lifestyle infects and corrupts the Moral fibers of all societies - and ultimately their own demise. God will put up with so much and then He will burn and level and destroy as Sodom and Gormmorah which are ashes and fragments of Brimestone - salt crystals when burned give off poisonous gases - even today. The entire BUSH CLAN and FAMILY are more like the evil King and queen of Israel - Ahab and Jezzable. Both SR and JR have and are involved in Satan Worship the Global One World Government System - Bohemian Grove members - Illumanitists - etc etc - buddies with Clinton and Obama's and othe Soc, Commies - both Rep and Dems. it all merging into a one party destruction of the USA. It all a matter of time - not if it will happen - it when!
  • Cliff raymond... 2013/02/26 15:37:58
  • silentart 2013/02/26 05:09:46
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    silentart
    Laura Bush should get lawyer and sue that damn groupies
  • Edie 2013/02/26 04:53:29
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Edie
    Simple and stupid to think you can put anyone's picture on an advertisement without their consent.
  • DavidK 2013/02/26 04:36:00
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    DavidK
    +1
    Liberals are doing everything they can to distract from the important issues.
  • Captamerica 2013/02/26 04:11:23
    No, they didn't ask for her permission
    Captamerica
    +1
    They are also changing what she said. She thinks (as do I) that they should have the same rights and privileges, but does not support redefining marriage.
  • raymond... Captame... 2013/02/26 06:58:19
    raymond.hedley.9
    Sir both you and her need to stop and think about what you just commented on - to allow these depraved lost souls same right and privileges - directly or indirectly - your tolerance and apathy is aiding and abedding - their agendas for redefining marriage. Because for laws and regulation allowing same rights and privileges it gives them license to prey upon the society as a whole. Give a person like this and inch they take a mile - it's the law of freedom and liberty and a fact of life.

2014/11/23 21:35:35