Las Vegas Business Owner Forced To Fire 22 Employees After Obama’s Win Because Of Costs Associated With Obamacare Can Small Business survive Obamacare?

CAPISCE 2012/11/08 23:01:05
NO
yes
LAS VEGAS (CBS Las Vegas) — A Las Vegas business owner with 114 employees fired 22 workers today, apparently as a direct result of President Obama’s re-election.

“David” (he asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons) told Host Kevin Wall on 100.5 KXNT that “elections have consequences” and that “at the end of the day, I need to survive.”

Here’s an excerpt from the interview:

“I’ve done my share of educating my employees. I never tell them which way to vote. I believe in the free system we have, I believe in the right to choose who they want to be president, but I did explain as a business owner that I have always put my employees first. I always made sure that when I went without a paycheck that [I] made sure they were paid. And I explained that I always put them first and unfortunately I’m at a point where I’m being forced to have to worry about me and my family now and a business that I built from just me to 114 employees.
“I explained to them a month ago that if Obama gets in office that the regulations for Obamacare are gonna hurt our business, and I’m gonna have to make provisions to make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes, the additional health care I’m gonna have to do, and I explained that to them and I said you do what you feel like in your heart you need to do, but I’m just letting you know as a warning this is things I have to think of as a business owner.

• Stryder 2012/11/08 23:38:37
    NO
    Stryder
    +11
    A guy I work with told me today that his brother owned a family-ran HVAC business. His first order of business after the election? He fired all three of his employees (who he happened to know voted for Obama) because he would no longer be able to afford them. They were his three sons.

• Searchin' 2012/11/12 15:47:51
    NO
    Searchin'
    +1
    I love our new "normal" in order to survive ObamaCare. Hey, employers, make all your employees part-timers so you don't have to provide healthcare or pay the tax. I know your paperwork will skyrocket because of all your new hires, but hey, look how you're stimulating good job growth. Because under Obama we should all be lucky to have one or more part time jobs in order to survive.
  • redneck 2012/11/11 15:45:10
    NO
    redneck
    +1
    That's why I had to give up my dream of reopening my business again,insurance will kill you and it's hard to compete with all the cheaters out there.You have to give yourself away just be competitve,can't make money doing that.Regulations are through the roof as well.There will be more storis like this,thanks alot you lazy libtards !!
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/11/11 12:24:44
    yes
    JCD aka "biz"
    Your government should try hard to cut health care costs. You spend 17% of your GDP on health care, vs. 6-11% in other Western countries which all have universal health care, and often better vital statistics.
  • cc 2012/11/11 01:32:18
    NO
    cc
    The government can't control small business, there are too many! They can control...or be controlled by... big corporations though! Most small businesses will be run out.
  • Darr247 2012/11/10 18:13:10
    yes
    Darr247
    +1
    If a business can't afford to pay its employees a living wage, which should include either paid health insurance or enough for the employee to pay for their own, then they should go out of business, not just fire 20% of its employees.

I would certainly never go to a Going-Out-of-Business sale like shown in the picture. Those are nothing more than a farce... they go into business, claim losses for 2 years while paying themselves huge amounts, then the 3rd year they have to show a profit or the IRS declares them a hobby and cuts off their deductions, so they go out of business with a 'sale' that marks things down 50% (after they've jacked up the prices to include 400% profit), then sell the leftover inventory to another business in their brother/sister/friend's name and start ripping off the taxpayer again (sometimes in the exact same storefront, if they didn't burn it for the insurance) for another 2 years.
  • CAPISCE Darr247 2012/11/10 18:15:39
    CAPISCE
    Business is about turning a profit---without profit people lose jobs
  • Heptarch 2012/11/10 17:30:06
    yes
    Heptarch
    +1
    Forced, my ass. No one "forced" him to do anything. I thought you right wing nutjobs were all about people taking responsibility for their actions, not blaming it on someone else.
  • CAPISCE Heptarch 2012/11/10 17:52:44 (edited)
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Business is about profit, peoples jobs depend on company profit. Obamacare cuts into profit, End of story
  • Heptarch CAPISCE 2012/11/10 18:29:09
    Heptarch
    +1
    "Business is about profit, peoples jobs dedend on company profit. "

Ok. So what happens if businesses don't pay people enough to afford basic health care?
  • CAPISCE Heptarch 2012/11/10 18:45:48
    CAPISCE
    +1
    They get a job somewhere else---nobody is forcing anyone to work at that business. Business is about profit, the more profit the better off the workers are--no profit no job
  • Heptarch CAPISCE 2012/11/10 18:57:05
    Heptarch
    +1
    "They get a job somewhere else"

Where that employer is doing the same thing because there are no regulations prohibiting it.

And what is it with you people thinking that getting a job is as easy as applying for one? I have a stellar resume and I couldn't find a job for a year because no one was hiring in my field.

"Business is about profit, the more profit the better off the workers are"

LOL Yeah, right. Tell that to all the people who were abused by their employers, with government sanction, before the era of trade unions. Tell that to someone whose company doesn't offer benefits or a wage adequate enough to buy them.

"no profit no job"

You're right. But I never advocated making it so a business can't make a profit. That's not what Obamacare will do. Companies can still make a profit under Obamacare. It just won't be as big.
  • CAPISCE Heptarch 2012/11/10 21:52:28
    CAPISCE
    No it's not easy to get a job, that said a person is aware of the wage and benefits or lack of, when the person makes the decision to take the job.
    This is not Socialism, Profit is the core or business
  • Heptarch CAPISCE 2012/11/10 21:58:15
    Heptarch
    You're missing the point. If one employer is allowed to treat their employees that way, others will, too. And once they all do, the employee has no choice but to take a job that will exploit him/her. It happened in the era of the robber barons, before the age of labor unions and it would happen again if all private business were de-regulated.
  • CAPISCE Heptarch 2012/11/10 22:02:34
    CAPISCE
    +1
    There Are laws in place to protect workers AS WELL AS UNIONS IN SOME STATES,In America profit is what creates good working conditions. Nobody is forcing anyone to work anywhere.
    If you really want to help workers stop buying goods from China and other countries who mistreat workers----BUY AMERICAN--------
  • Heptarch CAPISCE 2012/11/10 22:22:26
    Heptarch
    "here Are laws in place to protect workers AS WELL AS UNIONS IN SOME STATES"

Uh huh. But those employers fought those laws... and the Unions... for a long, long time. They continue to do it.

"In America profit is what creates good working conditions."

That is so completely wrong. What creates good working conditions are safeguards against abuses by the employer. From Unions and government regulation. If you doubt that at ll, do just the most basic research about the era of the robber barons. Read "The Jungle" or "Out of this Furnace".

"Nobody is forcing anyone to work anywhere."

So you're perfectly fine with the notion of employers colluding to force working conditions down so as to maximize their profit. Good to know.

"If you really want to help workers stop buying goods from China and other countries who mistreat workers----BUY AMERICAN"

That's getting harder and harder to do. So many American companies have gone overseas because the safeguards that protect American workers don't exist in China, India and the various countries of South America.
  • CAPISCE Heptarch 2012/11/12 22:30:40
    CAPISCE
    I owned ewo business's and have also been a IBEW. UAW and TEAMSTERS---I am well aware of both sides of this issue
  • S. Gompers 2012/11/10 09:50:14
    NO
    S. Gompers
    +1
    Normally lay offs are dictated by lack of sales.
  • CAPISCE S. Gompers 2012/11/10 18:16:45
    CAPISCE
    Or high overhead
  • Dave 2012/11/10 05:59:13
    yes
    Dave
    +1
    Being anonymous says it all. He fired employees out of his own hatred, and ignorance. When does ObamaCare kick in? lol He fired them after the election - that's why he fired them. Maybe "David" should spend some time developing his business rather than watching FOX and listening to Limbaugh all day. That has to make you insane.

Also by using anonymous he insults the real Anonymous. lol
  • flrdsgns 2012/11/09 20:30:34
    yes
    flrdsgns
    +1
    "Forced to Fire"? Seems to me he wasn't running much of a business if he had to fire 13% of his employees. Guess he needs to blame someone for his own failures as a businessman.
  • knothead flrdsgns 2012/11/10 01:00:16
    knothead
    +3
    Yeppers FORCED!!!!! Faced with having to pay $2500 per employee per year I would say forced. Read that wonderful socialist insurance that has been stuffed down our throats.
  • CAPISCE flrdsgns 2012/11/10 17:54:02
    CAPISCE
    Forced---yes, to be able to turn a profit --Obamacare will cost many Americans there jobs. Talk to me in a year
  • flrdsgns CAPISCE 2012/11/10 21:17:05
    flrdsgns
    There are ways around it. If he wants to cheap out, then cut their hours to 20 a week and hire 13 new people for 20 hours. Problem solved
  • CAPISCE flrdsgns 2012/11/10 21:53:41
    CAPISCE
    That's true but in my mind 20 hours a week is not a job
  • flrdsgns CAPISCE 2012/11/11 02:37:00
    flrdsgns
    Then work 2 20 hour a week jobs. If your company doesn't earn enough to pay health insurance, then the only way around it is to cut everyones hours to under 32 per week. That way no benefits need be paid.
  • Darr247 flrdsgns 2012/11/10 18:14:45
    Darr247
    22 out of 114 is 19.3%
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/11/09 18:03:14
    yes
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    Sorry. I don't believe in forced. The owner made an active decision to do this.
  • Mountai... Melicio... 2012/11/10 01:06:19
    Mountainman
    If your having something shoved down your throat...it's forced.
  • donisue 2012/11/09 17:18:37
    NO
    donisue
    +2
    Also more of those awful Corporations that hire people will also be moving out of the country. Why don't the Liberal idiots get it?
  • ProudPr... donisue 2012/11/10 02:59:13
    ProudProgressive
    They're not going anywhere. They've been threatening to expatriate for decades, but they'll never walk away from the cash cow that is for them the American economy. Why don't the Conservative idiots get it? I cannot but laugh at those whose blind hatred for this President compels them to work so hard to burn down their own house.
  • ProudProgressive 2012/11/09 16:05:36
    yes
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Forced??? Not hardly. This guy sounds like your typical "Make America Fail Because A Black Guy Was Elected" moron, and if he wants to drive himself out of business out of spite, let him.
  • knothead ProudPr... 2012/11/10 01:03:00
    knothead
    +1
    Under that crap affordable insurance THAT BLACK MAN stuffed down our throats employeers are forced to pay $2500 per employee per year. SO YES forced does fit. And how do you like your SOCIALIST FRAUD BLACK MAN president now?
  • ProudPr... knothead 2012/11/10 03:03:42
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Go away, ignorant racist. "That Black Man" is the President of the United States and is going to be for the next four years, so either live with it or get the hell out of my country already.
  • voice_matters 2012/11/09 15:31:18
    yes
    voice_matters
    the election had nothing ot do with him firing his employees
  • knothead voice_m... 2012/11/10 01:04:17
    knothead
    +1
    You are correct. Go to the head of the class. It has to do with Oscumos Affordable Health Care Plan that is going to screw many people and kill even more.
  • voice_m... knothead 2012/11/12 15:23:01
    voice_matters
    the same plan that passed congress and will not be repealed. sorry libby the facts again show that you are ignorant to them making you a lib. majority of america wanted obamacare and still do. and before you say look at the polls i did and the latest polls showed the voters wanting obamacare or obama would be out out of office and the republicans in control of the senate.
  • Patent1 2012/11/09 14:17:54
  • Embalmer 2012/11/09 13:40:44
  • CAPISCE Embalmer 2012/11/09 13:43:28 (edited)
    CAPISCE
    CBS Las Vegas----do your own damn search--by the way I have never seen a Native American with a White Beard
    "Native Americans do not produce facial hair" Genetics.com
  • Embalmer CAPISCE 2012/11/09 15:14:22 (edited)
    Embalmer
    It's your question, not mine and it's your responsibility to provide the information in which you refer to. You're just lazy.

I never claimed I was 100% Native American - quit Assuming.

native american

http://content.lib.washington...

2014/08/29 22:24:57