Lake Superior freezes over. Normally happens once every 20 years. Now it has frozen over twice this decade, 2003 and 2009. Global warming?

Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama 2009/03/08 01:03:11
Yes, I'm with Al Gore on this...
Global warming is...
Dunno...
Lake Superior is freezing over

7 03 2009

Lake Superior last froze over in 2003. It has now, again, frozen over. The frequency of freeze overs has historically been around once every 20 years. Now, in the last decade, we have seen two freeze overs.

The picture below is a beautiful satellite photo of Lake Superior from yesterday. With the well below freezing temperatures seen over the region Thursday night (-20 F), any isolated open water could have frozen.

Lake Superior satellite image

thursday -20 isolated open water frozen lake superior satellite image

The NWS in Marquette MI writes:

Due to the recent cold spell and below normal temperatures for much of the winter of 2008-2009, ice covers nearly all of Lake Superior. Only small areas of open water remain. This image was taken on Tuesday, March 3rd. If arctic air does not return in the next couple of weeks, it is likely that this will be the day of maximum ice cover on Lake Superior for this winter as warmer weather and periods of stronger winds through the end of this week will cause open water areas to expand. Click on the image to view a higher resolution satellite picture (image is large — just under 1mb).

Source:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/?n=lake_superior_ice

h/t to Kevin Klimek

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/07/lake-superior-is-freezi...

• Endless Roads 2009/03/08 01:19:24 (edited)
    Dunno...
    Endless Roads
    +9
    NO NO NOOOOOOOO...
    Haven't you heard?

Because the past few winters have been VERRY LONG and VERRRRRRRY COLD, and the summers mild, we now call it ---- "CLIMATE CHANGE"

dunno noooooooo heard winters cold summers mild climate change

• Jill 2009/03/27 02:52:35
    Global warming is...
    Jill
  • Roberto... Jill 2009/03/27 02:53:42
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    Brief and to the point. LOL
  • Jill Roberto... 2009/03/27 02:56:00
    Jill
    +1
    Subjects like global warming and politics=ugliness. It's best not to elaborate unless you want hellfire unleashed upon you.
  • Roberto... Jill 2009/03/27 02:58:11
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    Chicken!!
  • Jill Roberto... 2009/03/27 03:00:37
    Jill
    +1
    Lover not a fighter.
  • Roberto... Jill 2009/03/27 16:56:57
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    I like that!!
  • Docstrich 2009/03/11 01:31:01
    Global warming is...
    Docstrich
    Real, whether people bury their heads in the sand about it or not. It is arrogant to think that 6 billion people and their garbage and pollution is NOT having an effect on the planet
  • Bob 2009/03/09 22:02:13
    Why do we believe Al Gore. Now he and Obama are going to implement "cap and t...
    Bob
    +1
    Kill more jobs, It is a plot, Those lakers cannot ply the lakes with coal. More likely we have witnessed the ellipse of our orbit away from the Sun. Radiated Heat theory comes to mind.
  • roberts_improved257 2009/03/09 13:43:12
    Global warming is...
    roberts_improved257
    +1
    Just methane out of a cow's ass. I've lived in Michigan just about all of my life, cycles come and cycles go. I can tell you right now we are entering a "wet" cycle. The lakes have been down for about 15 years. With the above snow fall we've had, the lake levels will start going up.
    Ebb and flow. Since we've enter a period of low sun activity, it'll be a grey, cool, wet summer. Perfect for the mood in Michigan right now.
  • wow-really 2009/03/09 13:21:12 (edited)
    Dunno...
    wow-really
    +1
    It's called climate change - not "the sky is falling'-syndrome!!!!

While we could all do more to keep our planet clean, the earth has it's own way of taking care of it's self..... whether we like how it does it or not..

More scare tactics - just what we need -NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • spunkysmum ~ Tall In the S... 2009/03/09 04:50:43 (edited)
    Global warming is...
    spunkysmum ~  Tall In the Saddle, White Hat on Straight ~
  • Sandie 2009/03/09 01:15:14
    Sandie
    +5
    These guys are such scammers with this Global Warming BS.
    Anyone with a 1/2 of a brain, can see it's what a fraud Uncle Gore has been.
  • Dagon 2009/03/09 00:43:50
  • mimi 2009/03/08 23:34:15
    mimi
    +4
    I do not believe in Global Warming. Gore is as crazy as a "betsy bug". Obama is going to destroy our country as it was originally founded.
  • Kevman 2009/03/08 23:04:49
    Global warming is...
    Kevman
    +2
    ..BULLSHIT, and Owl Gwhore is a gypsy!! global warming bullshit owl gwhore gypsy
  • Roberto... Kevman 2009/03/09 00:39:42
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +2
    I'll have to get me one of those.
  • Kevman Roberto... 2009/03/09 01:19:13
    Kevman
    +1
    cafepress.com
  • Luis 2009/03/08 22:32:11
    Yes, I'm with Al Gore on this...
    Luis
    +1
    This is a result of Climate Change.
  • bls Luis 2009/03/09 03:55:02
    bls
    Luis I'm gonna give you a pass on this because I am happy to see someone your age interested in what's going on in the world. I'm going to give you a rave too
  • marco 2009/03/08 22:12:42
  • The Electrician 2009/03/08 21:00:11 (edited)
    Yes, I'm with Al Gore on this...
    The Electrician
    +2
    Most people don't have scientific minds. Educated people, Educated as they might be, know little of nothing of alternative energy, or the use of “carbon based fuels.” Had Al Gore become President, we would be using Alternative Energy by now. Do not think for one minute that the Energy Industry doesn’t know this. They’re a 4 to 5 trillion dollar a year industry. Their profit margin is extremely high, as much as 75 to 80% . Science and engineering has been “dumb down” in America. We have developed the Atomic Bomb and Nuclear Energy. We’ve put a man on the Moon and send pictures back from Mars. No small feats by any measure. Yet many people are reluctant to change the “status quo” for obvious reasons. They are and have been for several years avoiding and ignoring the consequences of the “Inconvenient Truth.” America is less than 5% of the world population, and we consume 26% of the worlds Oil production on a daily basis. 75% of that is transportation. Hydrogen on Demand or HHO as an automotive fuel would alleviate that. That is just one example. There are several more but too much to list here. Permanent magnet engines and motors are already being used. Self contained motor / generators sets are in use in other countries. Australia has already developed such units. Mountain region...
    Most people don't have scientific minds. Educated people, Educated as they might be, know little of nothing of alternative energy, or the use of “carbon based fuels.” Had Al Gore become President, we would be using Alternative Energy by now. Do not think for one minute that the Energy Industry doesn’t know this. They’re a 4 to 5 trillion dollar a year industry. Their profit margin is extremely high, as much as 75 to 80% . Science and engineering has been “dumb down” in America. We have developed the Atomic Bomb and Nuclear Energy. We’ve put a man on the Moon and send pictures back from Mars. No small feats by any measure. Yet many people are reluctant to change the “status quo” for obvious reasons. They are and have been for several years avoiding and ignoring the consequences of the “Inconvenient Truth.” America is less than 5% of the world population, and we consume 26% of the worlds Oil production on a daily basis. 75% of that is transportation. Hydrogen on Demand or HHO as an automotive fuel would alleviate that. That is just one example. There are several more but too much to list here. Permanent magnet engines and motors are already being used. Self contained motor / generators sets are in use in other countries. Australia has already developed such units. Mountain regions of Switzerland, where it in-practical to use power transmission towers has been using such methods since the early ’70’s. There are all kinds of practical solutions, technology and engineering available. It will open up many more fields and a tremendous number of jobs. It will not increase the cost of energy. The government does not have to bear the expense. The government needs to provide legislation to encourage and protect the development of these ventures. The Internet, which Al Gore did not invent, www.snopes.com/quotes/interne... has literally hundreds of video available. Global Climate Change is the effect of gases warming the upper atmosphere creating changes in weather patterns. It’s not a hoax. The man got a Nobel Prize for this work. Some people say “who cares, I won’t be here by then. Think again, it’s coming sooner than expected. The cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men who subverted the power of the people, and usurped for themselves the reins of government to maintain their personal interest, are gone. Believe it! They made their money and left the country in shambles. It’s now time to get on with our lives, clean up our government and rebuild our economy and country. God Bless
  • tdterry... The Ele... 2009/03/08 22:19:07 (edited)
    tdterry1999
    +3
    What does it matter what we consume or how much..Global warming is just another way to tax everyone.
  • Roberto... tdterry... 2009/03/09 00:41:09
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    Yessir.
  • Roberto... The Ele... 2009/03/09 00:40:44
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +2
    Muddled minds must speak.
  • bls The Ele... 2009/03/09 03:58:44
    bls
    +1
    Australia is a major player in oil exploration
  • riderwriter extremist extra... 2009/03/08 19:42:24
    Global warming is...
    riderwriter extremist extraordinaire
    +4
    I totally do NOT support Al Gore's idea of global warming and the conclusion that it's a U.S. borne problem.

However, isolated temperature event is not necessarily typical of a global change.
  • The Ele... riderwr... 2010/03/07 21:37:17
    The Electrician
    Where did the use of fossil fuels start. We are the biggest contributor for the size of our population. We developed the use of gasoline. We developed electrical energy. The parameters of of electrical engineering were set to include the use of a fuel for it's production. We don't need gasoline or Oil. We don't need Coal. Get back to me. I'll explain.
  • Kisstal 2009/03/08 19:39:17
    Global warming is...
    Kisstal
    +1
    make believe.
  • KAT 2009/03/08 18:51:14
    Global warming is...
    KAT
    +1
    either that or some kind of warning global warming warning
  • Danielle 2009/03/08 18:51:09
    Global warming is...
    Danielle
    +2
    Actually called Climate Change. I wish Gore had used a better term. During Climate Change it gets hotter in some places and cooler in others as currents and trade winds shift things around.
  • Roberto... Danielle 2009/03/09 00:42:18
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    What are you trying to say?
  • Danielle Roberto... 2009/03/09 21:16:38
    Danielle
    +1
    Global weather patterns are complicated. Human interference aside, the planet is experiencing climate change all the time, up or down. Because of everything from the trade winds, the pull of the moon, and even the pull of gravity, our earth is not constant, but ever changing. That doesn't mean that humans aren't negatively affecting our planet, and that we shouldn't try to come up with innovating ways to reduce our impact.

I saw Al Gore and his movie at a film festival w year or so ago. It was very simplistic: like a high school health class film. But the idea was to scare us into reducing our negative impact on the planet. Al may be very silly, but we do have a lot of power to effect change. Take Los Angeles for example. The smog was so bad in the 70's your eyes stung whenever you drove through the area. Now it's pretty clear all the time. We have used technology to improve our infrastructure so that we don't do nearly as much damage even though the size of our population has increased.

BTW, the funniest part of Al Gore's movie was when he was driving around his family tabacco farm in a giant gas guzzling mercedes sedan...not walking, driving around while the interviewer asked him questions on camera about his youth on the farm! I don't know how I didn't burst out laughing during the screening.
  • Roberto... Danielle 2009/03/09 23:07:12
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    Al Gore is a hypocrite for sure.
  • Roberto... Danielle 2009/03/09 23:10:06
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    Please take a look at this to see how insignificant human activity influences climate.

insignificant human activity influences climate
  • Danielle Roberto... 2009/03/11 04:55:52 (edited)
    Danielle
    +1
    Where's you get that? That was pretty well done, if it's accurate. Seems we are getting a bit chillier if anything...

My next car will still be a sipper, not a guzzler. More to keep money out of the pockets of the middle east than anything else.
  • Roberto... Danielle 2009/03/11 20:48:46
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    I'm not a warmer, but I bought a Smart Car - 35+MPG.

warmer smart car 35mpg
  • Danielle Roberto... 2009/03/12 02:36:44 (edited)
    Danielle
    +1
    Excellent! I'm waiting for one of these new super gas sipping cars to come out. The European car show this year had a few that get better than 62, even one that was over 150! When my current car dies I'll buy the best American made sipper out there I can afford!
  • Roberto... Danielle 2009/03/12 02:44:36
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    Cool!! Al Gore will be proud of you! LOL
  • Bosco Roberto... 2009/03/27 02:29:15
    Bosco
    +1
    Roberto this is my next car. roberto car
    I know I'm terrible because it's not "green" but damn it I just love muscle cars
  • Roberto... Bosco 2009/03/27 02:42:47
    Roberto-Pro-America-Anti Obama
    +1
    You're not terrible. This is your life. It belongs to no one else. Go for it!

2014/04/19 09:25:54