Labor Unions: Should the Federal Government Allow its Employees to Unionize?

Fef 2010/06/10 15:51:23
Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
Don't Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
Employee Unions originally served to protect employees from harsh and unfair labor conditions. Times have changed in the past hundred years -- the government has established labor workplace codes and oversights like OSHA. Companies have also changed and made the workplace safer.

As a result of the changes, employee/labor unions have shrunk in their membership except in membership by federal and local government employees. The SEIU and other labor unions have worked hard to increase their membership amongst federal employees because of their close relationship to politicians.

But, does the federal government treat its employees so poorly that they need a union to protect them?

Additionally, federal employee unions may create a conflict of interest since union members must pay dues that go to the union's political lobbying efforts. This means that taxpayers, who pay the wages of federal employees, pay for the lobbying efforts of Leftwing organizations like SEIU and AFL-CIO. Some Americans may agree with that, but others don't. Federal employee unions mean all Americans fund those organizations -- and some Rightwing organizations, too.

Should we have the SEIU unionize the Army to protect them on issues like "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"? Do postal delivery persons need the AFL-CIO to protect them? Should the NRA start a union to protect members of the CIA?

• cmdrbnd007 2010/06/10 15:59:36
    cmdrbnd007
    +8
    It should never have happened. We now have federal government employees making more money than the private sector. Who pays these wages? You and I do with our taxes and they get to strike if they want more? Like I said, it should never have happened.

• John Walker 2010/09/24 03:17:15
    John Walker
    Regarding the Union - Have the Union watch the Norma Rea - she started the Union revelation. Apparently the Union that has been established is taking advantage of it - with the loop holes - they are taking the dues from working people think that they are getting a great benefit from it with pensions - what happens to those that are not contributing? And to top it off - It's deal is it not for the employees - its for the the Union - so they can determine who can benefit it. After all - If they misguide the workers, they have them walk to the streets and argue....petition about it.

Think about it people. Do you think that having a Union benefits you? Who gets the money they accumulated. What percent has the Union given you...?
  • RichardL.Otten 2010/06/17 07:16:17
    RichardL.Otten
    If WE the People have no say in the negotiations (contracts subject to approval by general election) and our representatives have proven to not have our best interests at heart then NO, they should not be allowed to unionize.
  • Michael 2010/06/13 15:08:50
    Michael
    +1
    Good point about using union dues for political purposes. The teachers unions do the same and I resent that usage also, since we, the tax payers pay their salaries!
  • Cymech Dragon 2010/06/13 05:07:04
    Cymech Dragon
    +1
    Someone else said it better than I could.
  • Lynn 2010/06/11 18:45:54
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    Lynn
    +1
    Absolutely! That'll shut the government down in a heart beat and save America.
  • cele Lynn 2012/07/14 22:25:18
    cele
    +2
    IT'S A FREE COUNTRY AND IT'S UP TO THE EMPLOYEE TO CHOOSE AND HAVE THE RIIGHT TO JOIN A LABOR UNION AT WORK AND THE RIGHT TO PAY DUES WHICH ARE TAX DEDUCTEBLE AND A WORKER FEELS MORE SAFE AT KNOWING THEY CAN CALL THEIR UNION REP OR ATTORNEY WHEN THEY FELL THEIR RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED .LABOR FOREVER. P.S AND FOR THOSE THAT DON;T CHOOSE UNION REPRESENTATION, GO LUCK.MANAGEMENT WON'T ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU.NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU KISS THEIR REAR ENDS.
  • BK 2010/06/11 13:00:37
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    BK
    I can't say for sure, since I am not an employee for the Federal government, but working for a local governmental organization, I can tell you that I have never seen anyone from OSHA, I have seen some ridiculous lapses in safety consciousness from management, and if management had their way, the liscenced people who keep the bomb from going off underneath the schools around here would be replaced by semi-literate middle school dropouts. While I will never say that there isn't a downside to unions, I will say that there is a downside to almost everything, and if management for the Feds is as short-sighted and outright negligent as I've seen in local government, unions definitely serve a purpose.
  • AL 2010/06/11 06:55:20
    AL
    Who needs them any more anyway? All they do now is act more like street thugs then anything else! Does the word Gangsters ring any bells?
  • crimson dragon 2010/06/11 03:45:51
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    crimson dragon
    All employees should have the right to bargain as a unit.
  • wesley crimson... 2011/01/08 02:13:59
    wesley
    +1
    why should the government worker be able to hold the american taxpayer hostage.
  • crimson... wesley 2011/01/09 01:53:06
    crimson dragon
    Why should an American worker be held hostage just because he/she works for the government? The constitution allows the right to free association. Why shouldn't government workers be allowed to associate in contract negociations? Of course, constitutional issues are part of the "liberal" agenda, arn't they?
  • Max7 2010/06/11 03:09:41
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    Max7
    I worked for almost 30 years with a company that had four (4) different locals, Local 245 for the overhead and underground lineman, Local 19 (for the professional officer workers), a local for the guards and a local for the boiler makers. When management got beside themselves, it was the union that stepped in and made things right. Maybe if the Federal government was unionized, they'd be a little more decent operating system.
  • AL Max7 2010/06/11 07:15:22
    AL
    My dad was once a line men years ago in Calfornia as well! He was also a die hard union member and a real Democrat at one time! Yet when he found out about the gangster ways of unions he change his mind and his party and never went to another union meeting from that time on!I think he saw unions as the thugs that you pay to protect you from a company that would pay you as little as they could at that time! I do think he had more respect for his own employer that gave him a pay check then he ever did any union leader!
  • Max7 AL 2010/06/11 17:37:13
    Max7
    I guess I came along during the time when our unions really fought for us, I managed to get almost 30 years of seniority there. I think that unions are like everything else in life, you have your good and you have your bad. What works for some don't work for all.
  • AL Max7 2010/06/11 19:23:13
    AL
    Now most of those same union leaders are fighting for another mass amnesty that would put millions of U.S. citizen workers out of work instead!
  • Max7 AL 2010/06/13 05:14:30
    Max7
    Not the ones that I know, I honestly think that the unions were messed up way back when Regan was in the White House. Now the unions are only as strong as the company's allow them to be.
  • AL Max7 2010/06/14 05:19:54
    AL
    +1
    In some cases thats tvery rue! Just take the issue of illegal alien imigration for example! They are indeed on the very same page now-U.S. workers be damned!
  • 1regmom 2010/06/11 02:33:23
    1regmom
    +1
    Absolutely not. They are already getting the best benefits available. What more do they want? They get free childcare, travel expenses, benefits, allowances for things, etc. They don't need a union. They would just up taxes so that they wouldn't have to pay their own dues.
  • hddoug 2010/06/11 01:31:07 (edited)
    hddoug
    Every union should be dissolved! By the way where is is" Bob the union blocker " on this Thought we would here from him however without his "fellow liberal union folk" to praise him ,guess we won't hear from him.
  • no1badboy56 2010/06/11 00:46:38
    no1badboy56
    +1
    Nope, don't need them anymore.
  • WshngMchn 2010/06/10 21:15:18 (edited)
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    WshngMchn
    +1
    "This means that taxpayers, who pay the wages of federal employees, pay for the lobbying efforts of Leftwing organizations like SEIU and AFL-CIO."

That statement is my main point of disagreement. That's kind of like saying that giving $5 to a homeless man is just assisting his alcohol problem. Even if he is an alcoholic, that's not the point. The left believes in entitlement--forced charity, regardless of the recipient--and the right does not. That's kind of what this issue boils down to. Not only that, but in this case, these are (potentially) hard-working government employees.

Unions are not mandatory, they are the decision of a paid employee. They are entitled to their income, and they are entitled to lobby with it.

However, I do think that lobbying is the source of a lot of problems. As is alcohol.
  • Bill in Niantic 2010/06/10 21:02:30
    Bill in Niantic
    +1
    Govt is Fxxked Up enough, don't need anymore corrupt union B.S. in there.
  • DavidPhillips 2010/06/10 20:57:47
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    DavidPhillips
    Why are people so willing to lower the wages of others? Are you jealous that they make more money? Are you envious, wished it was you and since its not, you want to knock them down in wages?

Unions are just as important today as they were 100 years ago...

"federal employee unions may create a conflict of interest since union members must pay dues that go to the union's political lobbying efforts. This means that taxpayers, who pay the wages of federal employees, pay for the lobbying efforts of Leftwing organizations like SEIU and AFL-CIO."

Sheer BS, their wages, not the peoples tax dollars...They earn the money just as everyone else does who work...Because they are Federal employees, RWNJ's think they have the right to say how they should spend their money? BS, Unions have Dues, the union worker works for a pay check just like most people, who the hell are RWNJ's to say how the money is spent? (this is a RW campaign to get rid of Unions and the money they give to politics, which is not much in the grand scheme of things)...

FYI Firefighters and Police are also Unionized, will the RWNJ's want to tell them as well that they cannot give money to RIGHT WING politicians and organization?

Unions built our country, the wages and benefits that everyone now enjoys, but RWNJ's get ...

Unions built our country, the wages and benefits that everyone now enjoys, but RWNJ's get all bitchy because Unions for the most part back democrats...Well, SCOTUS just ruled that Unions can continue, but they also ruled that Corporations are People, and they too can give, even more than they use to...And in any given election year corporations give 100 times the amount of money to politicians and PAC's then Unions because Unions do not have the deep pockets that the corporations have...

Go Unions, Buy American...
  • Fef DavidPh... 2010/06/11 02:48:30
    Fef
    You wrote:
    Unions built our country
    Slaves also built this country, but we don't want slavery back.

I support our country and laborers, but not at the expense of our freedoms.

Are you jealous that they make more money?
    I make a lot of money and don't have any jealousy issues. I love it when other people make a lot of money. It means they won't have to borrow from me, and maybe they'll take me to dinner. And I don't have to support them with my taxes. I, and most people, love to have rich friends.

You also wrote:
    I know they have unions. But why? Unions go on strike when they don't get what they want -- do you want fire and police to strike or walk off the job?

You don't have to call me or others "nut jobs" -- and you don't understand my point. I don't want to restrict their freedom of giving money voluntarily to whichever organization they want (i.e. NRA or PETA). I don't want a union to force them to pay membership dues that go to causes they don't support.
  • Mark 2010/06/10 20:21:00
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    Mark
    +1
    Well Fef , you've come up w/ a good one here ...

First ,... the original reason that a Union "way back when" , might of been attractive still stands to this day . There are 117 points of interest (if I remember correctly maybe 120 , it's been over a decade since I looked into their history) , that people like about America (and flock here in groves) , that "we the people" associate with either our Constitution or Bill of Rights , which were NOT given to us thru those 2 documents , but indeed were things that Organized Labor got for the American people .

Texas still doesn't abide in the mandatory minumum wage that the rest of the country recognizes - (seems to me a certain family is from there ?) . Outsourced jobs (which represented "at least" 12 million of the foreclosures during Bush Jr.s' attempt to eliminate the middle class) were because there is NO OSHA at the foreign location , so the money NOT spent on safety could go directly into the CEOs' pockets (the 2% , "their buddies" , the word "representatives " in Websters' definition of what a republic is) . The average wage increase given to a CEO of an outsourced company was a minimum of 2 million dollars / a year .

People that really want to know who is who in Washington , simple follow the money trail , which is hidde...

People that really want to know who is who in Washington , simple follow the money trail , which is hidden in all kinds of ways . The lobbists go down the street to a bar (Quorum) and give vacation packages in someone elses name , in order to get what they want done , as just a small example . Transparent funds given in support , has a little less deviousness involved (if at all) because everyone can see it including the IRS .

Our worker rights are always under attack and must be defended , or your lunch break would of been done away with back when Reagan was in office . Remember ,... the last time a 3rd of our banks closed their doors .

Although I am Pro-Labor , Not everything needs to be organized . First : if the company has fewer employees than 28 (including the office staff) , guess what , many of us just need a Mom & Pop shop to service our needs ; a 10 employee plumbing service can fix my preexisting plumbing issue , without calling out the big boys . Their 10 employees (which didn't go to the manditory Trade school) can do a good job from experience & having some ethics , at my house - but their total number of wage earners (receiving substandard wages) , and then having less to spend = (to drive the economy) won't effect our economy to the extent of damaging it . But if there are 100s' of "schooled employees" NOT earning the prevailing wage , = now we have a weaker driving force behind our economy . Plus , somethings just have to be done correctly the first time around or can you imagine tearing out all the walls in a new 15 story condominium to redo the plumbing , electrical , elevator shaft , concrete poured ,etc. ??

We allowed that once in my metropolitan area , and the screw ups were so severe , just that occured . All the people living there had to move temporarily (because they owned the condo) , and the whole interior of the building had to be striped and redone
    by workers that had 5 years of electrical schooling , 4 years of painting school , etc. trained and experienced Journeyman . A huge undertaking , that was recompleted UNDER the estimated cost of the job .

Are there crap workers on both sides of the fence - YES !

little mark
  • ray 2010/06/10 19:14:54
    ray
    +5
    Sure. The federal taxpayer should also hire union hairdressers ...and let them retire at 50 ..after breathing all that hairspray...then they can lay on the beach in their thongs
    for the next forty years curtesy of our children and grand children . Sounds like a plan.
    A Greek one.
  • Lanikai ray 2010/06/10 20:22:51
    +4
    I think the WH sends one or two on every trip with Michelle, and they are "federal employees" with full salary and benefits. Like, how hard id it to do your own hair.
  • Fef ray 2010/06/11 02:49:54
    Fef
    +1
    Yup. America should look at Greece as an example of what not to do.
    yup america greece
  • madjack 2010/06/10 19:06:12
    madjack
    +1
    Interesting thoughts.There are abuses in the work place.I know from experience.However,each Federal Department has an Inspector Generals Office,which should be doing its job.In general,I think unions are necesseary,what they have become is another matter altogether.
  • Tessaprn 2010/06/10 18:49:20 (edited)
    Tessaprn
    +5
    Hell NO! Unions need to go. Their time has come and gone. We have federal laws that cover what they claim to represent. Too involved with government already.
  • Nobamaforu 2010/06/10 18:35:00
    Nobamaforu
    +6
    Unions should be outlawed. It's extortion. America has labor laws that protect the employee. Unions are destroying America.
  • Alex 2010/06/10 18:32:47
    Alex
    +4
    Unionized Army? As in "Sorry sergeant, by the union rules I am not allowed to do more than 15 push-ups a day"?
  • phoenix... Alex 2010/06/10 20:25:31
    phoenix AFCL
    +3
    or.. go to that fire or arrest that criminal..lol.. There should be no unions in the tax-supported sector.
  • Huki68 2010/06/10 18:22:02
    Huki68
    +2
    If this continue, we will still have spoiled workers fighting for stupidities, union was one time to fight for our rights and stop employers abuse tours any employee and the government has placed those laws to protect the employee, yet many, many companies today go around of the government laws and still taking advantage of employees like inventing false reports of performance, so the employee can’t get unemployment, no free speech at the work environment, subordination like they called when in many cases it is not, it is the employer who make the employee life’s miserable. Most of the times, the old school workers, smart and hard working people. Texas will of state they can fire you with out a cause, the real threat lies in all states that have overdone it and still doing it, no opinion whatsoever and when is reported the take the company side of the story, because those companies are still running by the old good boys club and that is what they need to stop. They need to investigate the root cause from the beginning to the end and they don't. Employers should need to be monitored on turnover like what? When? WHY? I know many companies they do exit interviews, yet they still not fixing the problems, some employees can't speak up because they are scared of losing their jobs a...
    If this continue, we will still have spoiled workers fighting for stupidities, union was one time to fight for our rights and stop employers abuse tours any employee and the government has placed those laws to protect the employee, yet many, many companies today go around of the government laws and still taking advantage of employees like inventing false reports of performance, so the employee can’t get unemployment, no free speech at the work environment, subordination like they called when in many cases it is not, it is the employer who make the employee life’s miserable. Most of the times, the old school workers, smart and hard working people. Texas will of state they can fire you with out a cause, the real threat lies in all states that have overdone it and still doing it, no opinion whatsoever and when is reported the take the company side of the story, because those companies are still running by the old good boys club and that is what they need to stop. They need to investigate the root cause from the beginning to the end and they don't. Employers should need to be monitored on turnover like what? When? WHY? I know many companies they do exit interviews, yet they still not fixing the problems, some employees can't speak up because they are scared of losing their jobs and others they just don't mention anything... So in this case I don’t know if a union could help. The only thing I know is WHO INVENT THE LAW INVENT THE TRAMP. I don't believe in Unions, if this continues it will be the end of many, many small business and big coorporations just to keep employees with good decent salary, Health insurance and bonuses... As well, things will go up, like groceries, fastfood restaurants... This is too complex because no-one really care for any human being in todays world, everything is all about me and that is sad. I think the best job now to work for UNIONS, I guess your job will be save don't ya think?
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2010/06/10 18:15:15
  • AL Chris -... 2010/06/11 07:23:26
    AL
    Give me liberty or give me a good bat so I can get what I want when I want it! What is the union rate for a good beat down anyway? does it pay by the hour or how many heads you bust instead? Do you get over time if you kill your innocent victims or not?
  • THE REAL STORY 2010/06/10 17:54:44
    THE REAL STORY
    +4
    All unions have outlived their usefulness.
  • Lanikai 2010/06/10 17:47:00
    +3
    I think it should be against the law for ANY federal worker to be a union member,.
  • PetrifiedElephantPoop 2010/06/10 17:23:49
    Allow Federal Employee Labor Unions
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +2
    We should be worried about CEO's making over 10,000 times more than the workers.
  • phoenix... Petrifi... 2010/06/10 18:22:29
    phoenix AFCL
    +3
    oops ... didn't mean to rave you but I do agree that the Corp. greed is outrageous!! And I don't know why shareholders stand for it.

2014/08/20 14:39:35