KONY 2012 Part II: Has Invisible Children Improved Its Approach?

KONY 2012, Invisible Children's controversial awareness program aimed at taking down African warlord Joseph Kony, seemed dead in the water when co-founder Jason Russell suffered a public breakdown. It looked like Invisible Children would retreat from the spotlight to regroup, and it did... for a couple of weeks. Now, just one month later, they're back with another documentary video, "KONY 2012 Part II: Beyond Famous."

This time they appear to have cut down a bit on editing costs and kicked off the video with clips of critics, then launched into a direct response, admitting they could barely keep up with the conversation. There's less filler, and the facts are, by necessity, up-to-date. However, they did block comments on YouTube and disable ratings, and they're still convinced there's a path to success, and that awareness is essential.

The narrator explains, "Invisible Children is just one of many organizations on the ground, and we are not the first. Stopping the LRA violence is possible, but it will take increased support for the comprehensive efforts conceived and led by local leaders." It goes on to describe a "multi-pronged approach": Early-warning radio networks in endangered areas, radio broadcasts and flyers telling members and captives of the LRA how to escape, and rehabilitation efforts in affected communities, and finally, combined military force from regional governments. But, the question is: are you buying it?

• Jassi M... The Imp... 2012/04/07 01:05:29
    Jassi Marie
    +2
    Wow thats hella true. Every other war was never treated this way....
  • RoyJLores 2012/04/06 22:39:21
    RoyJLores
    +1
    I believe this is nothing more than Statist hogwash of those that want to now invade Sudan to take over the newly discovered resources there.
  • Vitalani RoyJLores 2012/04/06 22:40:26
    Vitalani
    +2
    This campaign has been around since before that discovery hasn't it?
  • BwaHa Vitalani 2012/04/07 15:49:25
    BwaHa
    I remember the time when I was offered a "job" decades ago... offered a "security" job to help provide security for select western corporations partnered with foreign governments in the African "theater". I was a young pup who finally made my mind up to get out of the US Army. Just prior to ETS and for a period of time afterwards I was contacted by several sources who "protected" the (at the time) "natural resource" harvesting lease/operations of Western interests on the African continent. Very good money... no retirement. All of the armament and ammo I could carry...

I opted to go to stay stateside for a bit. I had a couple of friends who took the jobs. I never heard from them again.

I followed some of the happenings "down there" and elsewhere via SOF magazine but as time went on I quit reading/following.

c'est la vie!
  • Vitalani BwaHa 2012/04/07 21:02:59
    Vitalani
    Ah, interesting.
  • Lt. Fred RoyJLores 2012/04/07 05:50:23
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    Which newly discovered resources would these be?
  • RoyJLores Lt. Fred 2012/04/07 14:55:50
    RoyJLores
    oil for one has been now found there...
  • Lt. Fred RoyJLores 2012/04/07 23:36:27
    Lt. Fred
    When you say 'now', you mean 'five or so years ago'.
  • Aly Hart 2012/04/06 22:34:24
    Aly Hart
    +1
    Now this *might* be a stretch, but I think it's pretty hard to redeem yourself if one of your founders got arrested while running around naked flopping his dick in the middle of the street.
  • Vitalani Aly Hart 2012/04/06 22:41:27
    Vitalani
    He was just the producer. The invisible children already had formed before he came on the scene.
  • Aly Hart Vitalani 2012/04/06 23:27:14
    Aly Hart
    +1
    Meh, the damage is done.
  • Rave Aly Hart 2012/04/07 00:01:13
    Rave
    +1
    Really? So just let children continue to be raped and murdered because one man suffered a psychosis and ruined his reputation?
  • Aly Hart Rave 2012/04/07 00:03:40
    Aly Hart
    +1
    Did I say that?
    There are other groups out there that are probably way more reliable & trustworthy than IC.
  • BwaHa Aly Hart 2012/04/07 16:10:47
    BwaHa
    +1
    You didn't say that Aly... and you're right on. There are many more groups that are far more reliable and trustworthy than IC.
  • BwaHa Rave 2012/04/07 16:08:23
    BwaHa
    Are you talking about here in the US? Well, I think we can isolate those priests, coaches, pastors, teachers, scoutmasters, cult leaders, politicos, etc. who continue to rape and murder our children and effectively take care of those problems without donating to their respective "causes". Keep the money here.

I don't make enough money to give it away to "questionable, overhead and management heavy" causes, foreign or domestic. I have to pinch back what I do donate these days because quite frankly the money I earn only covers about 59-60% of what it used to cover a scant 3 yrs. ago.

So, given that personal revelation I won't donate to anything that is historically corrupt. Certainly nothing to a foreign cause overly managed by cons and rooted in a country governed by bribed fat cats. It's evident the bulk of the donated money is used to "maintain" the overhead of the "organization" and the corrupt government in a party-like environment!

Meanwhile, the respective nation's citizens are getting slaughtered, kidnapped, etc.

Let the hapless UN grow some balls for once and step up. Ah... forgot... they're part of the problem.
  • BwaHa Vitalani 2012/04/07 15:52:12 (edited)
    BwaHa
    ...oh well... that explains everything then. One of the movements overhead running around in broad daylight drunk, high, naked, whacking off in public...

Not my idea of good character. I'm not throwing my money towards this type of behavior.

BTW... "only the producer" making a cool $90 million annually off of the videos he's making for the "cause".
  • Cal 2012/04/06 21:41:45
    Cal
    +2
    Who?? No one cares about this scam....
  • RawRsaurus Cal 2012/04/06 22:26:19 (edited)
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    Scam means "to swindle, to trick." How exactly is this organization tricking people when they released all of their financial documents to the public? Personally, I'd never donate to their cause but find their tactics make sense.

Firstly, those who donate money to a charity won't always care for how their money is spent.

Secondly, in order to bring about actual change an organization needs to spend money, right? How do you think they make these videos? They need the donations in order to keep their cause alive. I honestly don't see why it's so hard to understand the concept money fuels everything, including nonprofit organizations.
  • Jimmeh RawRsaurus 2012/04/06 22:36:22
    Jimmeh
    +1
    People are being convinced that Kony and the LRA are an actual problem, even today. This is obviously not true, if one looks into the facts. Instead of using this money for anything productive, most of it is going into providing a living for people who can't find a (slightly) more honest job, and the rest is funding foreign govt./military for no justifiable reason.

All of this because of a completely over-dramatized and over-hyped video, which flippantly bends the truth as far as it will go. Seems to me like a scam.
  • Vitalani Jimmeh 2012/04/06 22:44:36
    Vitalani
    Kony is still a problem... He has recently abducted 40+ children...but hey everyone defines problems differently....
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/07 05:53:15
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    Tens of thousands of Congalese will starve to death in the next month. Forty will be kidnapped by old Joe. Are those forty lives worth several times more than the other peoples'?
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/07 06:16:58
    Vitalani
    You have to start somewhere.
    If people were addressing the issue you stated people would be saying the same thing about the LRA.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/07 06:22:41
    Lt. Fred
    +1
    No, I wouldn't. I think we should put resources into dealing with the most dangerous problems before the less dangerous.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 04:34:21
    Vitalani
    You are disagreeing with... Having to start somewhere? Lol..... Right.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 05:08:04
    Lt. Fred
    And the place we should start is the most serious, not the least.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 05:13:16
    Vitalani
    Then go ahead, start.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 07:16:39
    Lt. Fred
    I'm not a government. The international community of governments is the only group really capable of making a significant impact in the anti-development policies off the IMF. But we've got to make our governments do it.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 19:48:31
    Vitalani
    Right....IC isn't a government either...
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 22:03:27
    Lt. Fred
    No, it's a group of governments.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 22:13:14
    Vitalani
    It's a charity.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 23:52:46
    Lt. Fred
    The International Community (IC) is a group of governments. Your acronym confused me a bit.

Basically, governments are either going to solve this problem or not. We should make them solve it. But Invisible Children is not doing that; they're making governments solve a small problem, instead of the large one.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 23:55:08
    Vitalani
    lol Sorry about that.
    Yes they are focused on this issue, there are other charities focusing on the bigger ones. It just so happens that THIS is the one that's gotten the most recognition lately.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/11 00:17:26
    Lt. Fred
    Until the concerns that matter have been dealt with, charities should deal with them.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/11 00:19:39
    Vitalani
    Yes, and many are.
    It's the fault of the public that Kony 2012 has received the attention it has, not the charities'.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/11 00:26:18
    Lt. Fred
    A vast amount of effort and money that could be employed in dealing with real problems has been devoted to irrelevant non-problems.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 05:12:31
    Vitalani
    The government can deal with that.
    Charities can decide to "help" whomever they wish.
    You get to choose which you support.
    Don't like it? Donate somewhere else.
    Or do something real, donate time.
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 07:17:47
    Lt. Fred
    I'm not saying the charity should be made to be rational with legislation or something. I'm saying they're misleading people into thinking that marginal concerns are major ones and ignoring the serious problems in that region.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 19:49:59
    Vitalani
    There are plenty of other charities which focus on what you are talking about. There wasn't one that focused on this issue. Now there is. It's not their fault that they had a great budget and people took more notice of Invisible Children...
  • Lt. Fred Vitalani 2012/04/10 22:05:47 (edited)
    Lt. Fred
    That's just wrong. IC is just wasting money. Invisible Children should spend its money forcing governments to do something meaningful, not something meaningless.
  • Vitalani Lt. Fred 2012/04/10 22:14:33
    Vitalani
    Charities can't force any government to do anything...All they can do is use the money they make for good and raise awareness. And maybe that awareness will bring about change. Charity isn't about force.

2014/11/27 05:37:09