Kissing feels so pleasurable due to hormone surge, find scientists. Do you enjoy kissing?

SpiritualEyes 2009/02/09 05:09:40
I'm not tellin
The reason that kissing feels so pleasurable is that sparks a surge of hormones in our brains, according to new research.
reason kissing feels pleasurable sparks surge hormones brains research
Couples who share a passionate kiss this Valentine's Day will enjoy sensations of relaxation and excitement because of a complex series of chemical processes, as well as their love for their partners.

The study showed that women need more than just a kiss to experience the same chemical high as men - with additional features such as a romantic atmosphere of dimmed lights and mood music also required.

Wendy Hill, professor of psychology at Lafayette College, Pennsylvania began the research to find out why the mundane physical activity of rubbing lips can elicit such a gratifying emotional response.

Her team tested the levels of two hormones, cortisol and oxytocin, in 15 couples before and after holding hands and kissing.

They found that kissing reduced the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone, in both sexes. But levels of oxytocin, a hormone linked to social bonding that they expected to be boosted by kissing, only rose among the men.

The scientists have since replicated the tests in more intimate settings, to see if the less-than-alluring environment of the university health centres where the original research was carried out hampered women's hormonal surge.

The final results will be presented at the annual conference of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago this week.

"This study shows kissing is much more complex and causes hormonal changes and things we never thought occurred," said Prof Hill.

"We tend to think more about who we are kissing and how it feels, yet there are a lot of other things happening."

It is not clear how kissing provokes such hormonal reactions, but some scientists believe they are triggered by the exchange of pheromones – chemicals our bodies release to attract sexual partners – in the saliva.

This interaction may also have health benefits. Helen Fisher of Rutgers University, New Jersey, said: "If you share your germs with somebody, you're boosting your internal defence system."

This is not the first research to analyse the physical effects of kissing. In 2007 British scientists measured the brain and heart activity sparked by passionate kissing, but found it was less intense that the stimulation produced by eating chocolate.

Romantic love has also been shown to have a close link to neurological activity, with scans showing that it has similar effect to cocaine on our brains.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/45585...

• Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2009/02/09 05:23:51
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +8
    I love kissing. However, I do not need music, dim lights and all that yadda yadda, to have it feel better or send more of a spark. I could be in the most boring place and if my bf starts kissing me, I am in a whole other world lol. It is bliss.

feel send spark boring bf starts kissing world lol bliss

• KateDewhurst 2012/01/22 23:14:35
    KateDewhurst
    yes! it was amazing! first and only kiss so far, but it really has to make me think about the future and how much we get along... i hope one day we can be 'together forever' to sound corny, haha
  • xMs.Zombiex 2009/04/27 14:20:54
    xMs.Zombiex
    +1
    I loveee kissing. its wow. and now i cant wait to see my boyfriend again. 8-/
  • zack 2009/02/11 02:27:40
    zack
    +1
    love it
  • Michelle 2009/02/11 02:07:27
    Michelle
    +1
    I love it. I don't really need the 'mood settings' though.
  • MJ 2009/02/10 15:45:08
    MJ
    +1
    A GOOD PASSIONATE KISS SHARED BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE WHO CARE DEEPLY ABOUT EACH OTHER REINVORGORATES AND SOLIDIFIES THE BOND THEY SHARE.
  • dw<3 2009/02/10 05:34:04
    dw<3
    +1
    i love kissing my jer=] he's my only drug lol
  • HIMfanaticShannon *SHTB* 2009/02/10 04:43:26
    HIMfanaticShannon *SHTB*
    +1
    I love kissing but I only kiss the one I love.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2009/02/10 03:58:27 (edited)
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    Kissing feels awesome.....you can't make love w/o it or it's just sex and besides, my husband is a great kisser. Soft, gentle and romantic. Gets me HOT and tingly all over!!!!!
    I kiss him every where and love doing it as I love the feel and smell of his skin!!
    So velvety soft and clean. Mmmmmm.......OK-He leaves for work in a 1/2 hour so I'd better cut this out!!!!
  • Armygeek 2009/02/10 03:50:00
  • ☮Michelle☮ 2009/02/10 03:45:51 (edited)
    ☮Michelle☮
    +1
    I LOVE KISSING!!! lol

sure dim lights and such, make it more romantic but kissing makes me feel good anyways love kissing lol dim lights romantic kissing feel
  • Spiritu... ☮Michelle☮ 2009/02/10 18:10:14
    SpiritualEyes
    +1
    I like that picture.
  • ☮Michelle☮ Spiritu... 2009/02/11 05:22:10
    ☮Michelle☮
    +1
    romantic lol
  • Smokinlois 2009/02/10 03:20:19
    Smokinlois
    +1
    wtf haha like in all seriousness, who would say no.
  • mojo-jojo 2009/02/10 02:50:50
    mojo-jojo
    +1
    yea i do who doesnt. lol
  • I'm not tellin
    ♥317♥ ~*Ϟιη hαяяy Pσттεя ι тяυsтϞ*~ΨρנατσΨ
    +1
    not telling

tellin telling
  • Night 2009/02/10 01:39:46
    I'm not tellin
    Night
    +2
    i never kiss and tell! tellin kiss
  • Holliegirl11 2009/02/10 01:20:16
    Holliegirl11
    +2
    I love kissing......no kissing no lovin....
  • EJ 2009/02/10 00:42:58 (edited)
    EJ
    +1
    Anywhere the mood hits works for me. However, I don't like to do it in other people's faces.
    Cheers
  • Clarky 2009/02/10 00:27:33
    I'm not tellin
    Clarky
    +1
    I don't like to kiss and tell. LOL!!!
  • boddleblonde 2009/02/10 00:04:55
    boddleblonde
    +3
    If I had to choose between a good kisser or someone good in bed, I'd take the kisser. A great kiss is very important to me!
  • mariahluv9 2009/02/09 23:21:23
    mariahluv9
    +1
    i love kissing lol na i dont really kiss !!
    but when i kiss i make sure im kissing the one i love...
  • kayla 2009/02/09 22:19:26
    kayla
    +2
    Absolutely!

absolutely
  • Proud2BeAMaggot 2009/02/09 22:04:30
    Proud2BeAMaggot
    +1
    i havent had tht first sweet kiss yet.....
  • anal 2009/02/09 21:08:32
    anal
    +1
    A great kiss takes all your cares away (:
  • Eddie 2009/02/09 20:57:33
    Eddie
    +3
    I absolutely love kissing! Kissing is also a stress reliever too and it works!
    absolutely love kissing kissing stress reliever works
  • Comrade JBleezz 2009/02/09 19:23:35
    Comrade JBleezz
    +1
    Well depends on who I am kissing but if it is someone I love then YES!!! it is very pleasurable
  • ©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2009/02/09 19:20:37
  • Beckiness~*In Harry Potter ... 2009/02/09 18:17:50
    Beckiness~*In Harry Potter I Trust*~
    +3
    Hell-to the-yeah!
  • NuddaBlackGuy 2009/02/09 17:35:25
    NuddaBlackGuy
    +1
    as in YESSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssss...
  • Annette 2009/02/09 17:28:46
    Annette
    +1
    Depending on who and how the kiss is delivered - I love it!
  • lovejacob<3 2009/02/09 17:18:39
    lovejacob<3
    +1
    kissing feels so good and i dont need anything to make it feel better
  • hatshepsut123 2009/02/09 17:08:08
    hatshepsut123
    +1
    of course i enjoy kissing. :)
    it gives pleasure and it makes the stress to go away!:) enjoy kissing pleasure stress
  • UnwrittenSong 2009/02/09 16:45:25
    UnwrittenSong
    +3
    I absolutely love kissing my husband. Our first kiss was so amazing and such a surprise. It was the kind of first kiss you'd expect to come out of a fairy tale.
    Since he's six years older than me, I had firmly told myself I would not kiss him even though I kept feeling a very strong urge to do so. To this day neither one of us knows who kissed who... it was like we both blacked out and lost time for a moment and suddenly we were in each others arms and kissing. In that moment, it seemed that everyone and everything else in the whole wide world disappeared and it was just us and that kiss. It was a combination of relaxing and extremely exciting. Every single one of my senses and thoughts were completely focused on kissing him and somehow I knew all of the feelings were completely mutual. It seemed like fireworks were going off. It was like a switch was flipped in my head and I was effortlessly kissing in ways I had never kissed before and being kissed as I had never been kissed before. Once we started kissing, we couldn't seem to stop - we tried several times and every time we ended up in each other's arms and kissing again. The words "right" and "magical" aren't strong enough to describe it.

Our first kiss is something we could never forget. Even though we've been togeth...'''''

Our first kiss is something we could never forget. Even though we've been together for over seven years, it's still as though there are magnets all through our bodies and nothing feels quite right unless we're touching in some way. We often miss each other though we're in the same room... sometimes even just a couple feet apart. When we kiss, it's still amazing, but I'm glad our first kiss is set aside as something beyond special.
  • Spiritu... Unwritt... 2009/02/09 18:10:01
    SpiritualEyes
    +2
    That's beautiful. 17 years later, I still love kissing my wife. We've only been married for 11.
  • KateDew... Unwritt... 2012/01/22 23:08:30
    KateDewhurst
    +3
    oh my goodness! yeah, i had my first kiss not that long ago, i love my boyfriend! it was only our second date, but we've known each other for practically our whole lives. it was so weird though. it was so relaxing that i think i fell asleep on his shoulder twice! i can hardly remember much, it is all fuzzy, all i remember is that it was so wonderful. *sigh*. ^_^
  • Erikita 2009/02/09 16:25:20
    Erikita
    +1
    who doesn't?!
  • Slamdtruck 2009/02/09 15:25:35
    Slamdtruck
    +1
    but if it doesn't go further, the pleasure soon fades
  • Vegas911 2009/02/09 15:05:05
    Vegas911
    +1
    I love to kiss if it's the right person, the right person can make me feel like I'm going to explode.......I've had other kisses....and .....no so much!!!
  • nada 2009/02/09 14:35:20
  • Argyro 2009/02/09 14:09:02
    Argyro
    +2
    I just love kissing my bf... I don't care if it's a short kiss or loooong kiss... As long as we kiss I care about nothing else!!!
    love kissing bf care kiss loooong kiss kiss care

2014/07/26 06:43:17