Kid Gets 'Catastrophe Award': Mean or Meaningful?

Christina Valdez believes her 8-year-old daughter was humiliated in front of her peers when the girl's Desert Springs Academy teacher gave her a "Catastrophe Award" for "Most Excuses for Not Having Homework." The award was given in front of the whole class, and according to ABC News, the kids were laughing at her. Valdez tried to contact the school about the incident, but says the teacher shrugged it off and said it was just a joke.

Valdez told KGUN-TV, "I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing." Psychologist Sheri Bauman at the University of Arizona College of Education agrees with Valdez, adding, "That isn't an award. It doesn't fit the criteria. [Kids that age] feel less than, they feel fearful of authority of what might happen if they make a mistake." Do you think the "Catastrophe Award" was cruel, or appropriate?

• TasselLady 2012/05/31 20:55:16 (edited)
    Mean
    TasselLady
    +21
    Whether she turned in homework or not, it was no reason to humiliate her in front of her whole class. Some adults might see it as a joke, but when you are eight years old that's a whole different matter altogether. Nothing like having the teacher and the whole class laughing at you. Somebody should string up that !#$$ teacher by her knockers.

for shame

• Sadisticon nataku80 2012/06/01 22:50:28
    Sadisticon
    Let me fire you for your minor misstakes.
  • nataku80 Sadisticon 2012/06/02 01:25:54
    nataku80
    Minor mistake? U saying this is a minor mistake ?? A teacher basically damaging a lil gilrs confidence hmm.
  • kay29 2012/06/01 15:16:17 (edited)
    Mean
    kay29
    +2
    This is not a laughing matter. While it may seem funny to some, it could really hurt the girl's feelings. I have been made fun of before. I've had serious health issues in the past, and a maths teacher has completely humiliated me by telling the whole class that I probably wagged, among other things. This made me feel like complete scum, and I dread going to his class. I also hated (and sometimes avoided) doing his homework, simply because I hated his class. Now think of this in an 8 year old's perspective...pathetic..
  • hollowpointxkilljoy 2012/06/01 15:08:18 (edited)
    Mean
    hollowpointxkilljoy
    Mean isn't exactly how I would describe this. More like stupI'd. But maybe now the kid will realize she needs to wise up and start doing her friggin homework. Apparently her parents don't care whether she fails school or not. Maybe this teacher just provided an excellent wake up call.
  • Luxxie 2012/06/01 14:57:46
    Mean
    Luxxie
    +2
    That's so cruel, she's just a child. Maybe the teacher found it funny but it hurt that poor kid ! It's kind of like bullying, shame on that "teacher."
  • Firefly Luxxie 2012/06/01 16:01:44
    Firefly
    +1
    Indeed, and Well Said,

especially the 'bullying' point ~
  • xxx 2012/06/01 14:51:48
    Meaningful
    xxx
    +6
    If the student did not turn in the homework, I think the teacher should flunk the student, hold the student accountable. The only thing the student learned is that she does not have to do the work, Complain to Dommy dearest ....psycho bitch from HELL Mom goes to the media with claims her dear darling was damaged and traumatized because other children laughed at her. Wahh,Wahh !!!
  • Isha Dwesar 2012/06/01 14:46:17
    Mean
    Isha Dwesar
    +2
    that's a really horrible thing to do to an eight year old, humiliate her in front of the class. there are other ways to tell her that she needed to hand in homework without embarrassing her like that. just take her aside quietly, not shame her in front of her entire class!
  • Andrea 2012/06/01 14:34:44
    Meaningful
    Andrea
    +6
    Stop rewarding your kids for bad behaviour. If the kid was constantly without homework and telling lies about why, then obviously there is a problem with MOM and DAD. And if the kid was the WORST, that applies that her kid was not singled out. There were other kids who did the same thing. Funny and insulting awards are a common thing in schools and classes. If mom doesn't want her kid to be 'humiliated' then she needs to teach her to be responsible so she will not qualify.

Wonder if the school bully's mother was mad too.
  • Manster 2012/06/01 14:34:39
  • Eric Echevarria 2012/06/01 14:34:31
    Mean
    Eric Echevarria
    +3
    Public humiliation is classic bullying.
    Eight years old... think about that for a second. The teacher and the other students had a laugh at an 8 year old girl's expense. They may as well have stood her in front of the school wearing a dunce cap and a sandwich sign that says, "I'm an idiot, my teacher said so."
    What's next? Maybe the teacher can give a "catastrophe award" to the fattest kid in he class or the ugliest. Why stop there? How about kids with speech impediments or kids whose parents can't afford designer clothes?
    Callous and idiotic if you ask me.
  • PatBB Eric Ec... 2012/06/02 12:22:03
    PatBB
    Ugliness, speech impediments, & parents' poverty are not caused by a child failing to do his/her duty.
  • Eric Ec... PatBB 2012/06/09 07:54:13
    Eric Echevarria
    Really? I can assume you're not perfect. Nobody is. Do I get to decide which of your failings need to be publicly addressed? Does your boss get to decide? If your boss thinks your performance is less than adequate should he or she put a dunce cap on you and put you on public display?
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2012/06/01 14:33:58
    Meaningful
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +8
    Christina Valdez's eight year old was only humiliated in front of her peers at school. Now, the whole nation knows she did not do her homework. I am not sure if the teacher handled this situation correctly or not, but I know that the mother going to the press did not help the situation.
  • S123 Donald ... 2012/06/01 17:21:47
    S123
    +1
    I think what the teacher did was wrong, but that's a good point.
  • Donald ... S123 2012/06/01 17:58:32
    Donald Eric Kesler
    +4
    Christina Valdez did not go to either the principal or the teacher about this problem. She started by going to the news.

I'll agree that maybe the teacher could have handled it better, but the mother can't complain that it was the teacher who made a public spectacle about her daughter's failure to finish her homework. The teacher, at least, kept it in the classroom.
  • S123 Donald ... 2012/06/01 20:15:45
    S123
    +3
    I agree.
  • kofp 2012/06/01 14:30:24
    Mean
    kofp
    +1
    The student doesn't owe the teacher homework. Homework should be completely voluntary as with going to school. No one is paying her to do homework or go to school. If kids got paid to attend school or do homework properly maybe they'd take it more seriously like adults do in their professions and jobs. This could be considered allowance money students would not want to lose for goofing up.
  • rocker1446 kofp 2012/06/01 14:36:41
    rocker1446
    +4
    Then by all means, pay your kid. Education is a privilege that many take for granted.
  • GoodEncounter 2012/06/01 14:29:36
    Mean
    GoodEncounter
    +5
    There are a lot of other positive ways that teacher could have made her point. Humiliation is not one of them. People should know that words wound.
  • sky blue pink - American 2012/06/01 14:28:57
    Mean
    sky blue pink - American
    +2
    The teacher is no better than her counter parts which are all the Bullys. I think it is time for everyone to start Voting out the School Board Officials, apparently they don't see anything wrong.
    Have a nice day !
  • SoftBear sky blu... 2012/06/01 14:38:53
    SoftBear
    +4
    If admonition is bullying, there is no way to maintain societal norms. What a bunch of spoiled children!
  • SoftBear 2012/06/01 14:27:49 (edited)
    Meaningful
    SoftBear
    +5
    It is never too soon to learn the lesson that our actions have consequences. "Spare the rod, spoil the child." When understood as metaphor, and not as a license for abuse, that can be seen as part of the glue that holds human society together.
    In short, the mother is correct that her child was humiliated. The point she missed is that if the child was not humiliated they would properly be considered a sociopath.
  • hollowp... SoftBear 2012/06/01 15:17:08
    hollowpointxkilljoy
    +3
    Absolutely correct. Children are way too spoiled anymore, and seems like they control the parents.
  • MzChyna 2012/06/01 14:24:14
    Mean
    MzChyna
    +2
    Some teachers are out of line, if the child is not doing so well, then talk to the parent or a counselor at the school, because being mean is not the answer, if you want respect as a teacher, then earn it, you cannot expect children to behave and do well if you are sending out harmful and negative messages! NOW WHAT IF THE PARENT PRESENTED THE TEACHER ITH A STUPID AWARD WITH HEARTS AROUND THE BORDER, DOES THAT MAKE IT ANY BETTER? OR A KNUCKLE SANDWICH? I,M JUST SAYING, YOU ONLY GET BACK WHAT YOU PUT OUT! SO TRY TO TEACH BY EXAMPLE, AND ONLY PT OUT POSITIVE THINGS.
  • ToniGirl 2012/06/01 14:22:30
    Meaningful
    ToniGirl
    +6
    The kid never turned in her homework. She's a slacker. Someone needed to point it out, 'cause her mom obviously wasn't being responsible. I think the little brat deserved what she got.
  • MetalMouthJeff 2012/06/01 14:20:55
    Meaningful
    MetalMouthJeff
    +10
    Lighten up People! If this Mom and her kid get so upset about something as trivial as this the kid is in for a reality check in a couple of years. Today its just homework. Someday it may be forgetting to pay the electric bill and she will be sitting in the dark. Mom, your kid is lazy. Worry about that instead of the kids feelings getting hurt. Stupid Ass Mother! (And Kid apparently) lol!
  • hollowp... MetalMo... 2012/06/01 15:18:18
    hollowpointxkilljoy
    +3
    Godddd this is the best comment I've seen!!!
  • Sadisticon MetalMo... 2012/06/01 22:55:35
    Sadisticon
    You totally rock!!!
  • PatBB MetalMo... 2012/06/02 12:29:04
    PatBB
    Has any electric company ever recognized someone for "Most Excuses for Late or Non-Payment?" LOL Seriously, I have met deadbeats who are also professional BS excuse artists as to why they don't have the money to pay their debts! So I understand why my present landlord files eviction papers on anyone whose rent is 10 days late!
  • Monica Brown 2012/06/01 14:12:09
    Mean
    Monica Brown
    +2
    If the girl was about 13 or 14 I would think it would be more tolerable. Eight is a bit young for public humiliation to be an effective means of punishment. May have been emotionally scarring depending on the child.
  • Joey 2012/06/01 14:05:04
    Meaningful
    Joey
    +9
    I am on the line about this one .. while it is mean .. I can see the point . This was not due to the kid not being smart ,or the kid having trouble with the work . This was given due to the kid just not doing her homework . Funny the mom can now go out of her way and go on News shows..yet she could not make sure her kid did her homework.
  • Mazbill 2012/06/01 14:04:18
    Meaningful
    Mazbill
    +6
    Maybe the mother should focus more on why the homework is not being done. I think the teacher could possibly have contacted the parents or is this an award that other kids have gotten and everyone in the class was well aware of the
  • PatBB Mazbill 2012/06/02 12:31:40
    PatBB
    I would like to know how many times the teacher phoned the mother & or escorted the girl to the principal's or guidance counselor's office for a conference.
  • Mazbill PatBB 2012/06/06 18:58:10
    Mazbill
    +1
    I agree but I know with our kids we tried to stay on top of what was happening, parent teacher nights was a good way to get input from the teachers.
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/06/01 14:02:42
    Meaningful
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    +6
    The problem is APPARENT. Which has a double meaning. heh.
  • Mrs.B 2012/06/01 14:02:03
    Mean
    Mrs.B
    +1
    That teacher should be fired! What a terrible thing to do to a child. Talk about bullying
  • Sadisticon Mrs.B 2012/06/01 22:57:06
    Sadisticon
    STFU
  • nina 2012/06/01 14:01:40
    Mean
    nina
    +1
    If the child was older say, over 12 they would probably take it as a joke but aged 8 they probably find it upsetting.
  • Defcon 2012/06/01 13:58:14 (edited)
    Mean
    Defcon
    +1
    Child should be personal, not public.

2014/07/24 12:24:57