Kid Gets 'Catastrophe Award': Mean or Meaningful?

Christina Valdez believes her 8-year-old daughter was humiliated in front of her peers when the girl's Desert Springs Academy teacher gave her a "Catastrophe Award" for "Most Excuses for Not Having Homework." The award was given in front of the whole class, and according to ABC News, the kids were laughing at her. Valdez tried to contact the school about the incident, but says the teacher shrugged it off and said it was just a joke.

Valdez told KGUN-TV, "I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing." Psychologist Sheri Bauman at the University of Arizona College of Education agrees with Valdez, adding, "That isn't an award. It doesn't fit the criteria. [Kids that age] feel less than, they feel fearful of authority of what might happen if they make a mistake." Do you think the "Catastrophe Award" was cruel, or appropriate?

• TasselLady 2012/05/31 20:55:16 (edited)
    Mean
    TasselLady
    +21
    Whether she turned in homework or not, it was no reason to humiliate her in front of her whole class. Some adults might see it as a joke, but when you are eight years old that's a whole different matter altogether. Nothing like having the teacher and the whole class laughing at you. Somebody should string up that !#$$ teacher by her knockers.

for shame

• GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/02 02:18:30 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Depends. And 3:30PM was when my Elementary-aged children got home. Additionally, you don't do homework during Summer, Holidays, or weekends. In third grade you don't have "study hall," and when do you expect the parents to make dinner and them to eat? The weekdays are pretty packed for when my girls came home.
    Let's see...
    3:30 PM Homework (1.5 hrs, for 3 hrs., or more, of homework?)
    6:00 PM Hopefully, eat.
    7:00 PM Feed/clean after animals (2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits)
    8:00 PM Bathe
    9:00 PM Bedtime

On each day of the week, also, there's an extracurricular (TKD, Origami Club, Assisted reading, Girl Scouts) which takes another hour out of the after school time.
  • juirsh GLaDOS 2012/06/03 02:15:25
    juirsh
    My point is genius there is plenty of time for "family time" extracurrricular activities are good but not a necessity and needs to be given in retrospect as to what the child can intake.
  • GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/03 02:23:32 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Well, "genius," extracurriculars are not "family time," and they're good for college applications, later. "Family time" is the free time when they're not required to do other things, such as homework.
  • juirsh GLaDOS 2012/06/04 01:52:55
    juirsh
    and I doubt it takes most homework 3 hours to accomplish as well. Sorry about the name-calling as it was very rude.
  • GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/04 02:19:08
    GLaDOS
    Quite right. However, if a child does the work, instead of their parent doing it for them, or holding their hand to the point that the parent may as well be doing it for them, it can take three to four hours, or more, dependent upon what sort of work it is. Three to nine worksheets is what my girls average on a night.
  • juirsh GLaDOS 2012/06/05 01:43:09
    juirsh
    Well put again you still have to put value in how many extracurricular activities the child is involved in. But in the particular mentioned child I'm not aware that that was a problem.
  • GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/05 01:48:09
    GLaDOS
    Then one may wonder what the mother does as a job, what times she works, makes dinner, and so on. One should not judge until they have the whole story.

According to the mother, the girl only missed three or four homework assignments, any others, she didn't know about, though there were situations where the girl didn't write her assignments down, which the teacher should be responsible to make sure they have.
  • juirsh GLaDOS 2012/06/05 01:51:38
    juirsh
    You speak as if the teacher has no experience in what she does for a living. This is nothing more than good old fashioned accountability check for the student.
  • GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/05 02:08:55
    GLaDOS
    Given some of the teachers I've had, before, you can't be 100% sure that all of them do know what they're doing. In fact, some may just be malicious to students because they're cruel.
  • juirsh GLaDOS 2012/06/11 03:31:55
    juirsh
    tru dis tru dat! we are all humans. I just think this particular teacher did, in fact, have the student's best interest at heart.
  • GLaDOS juirsh 2012/06/11 09:14:09
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Won't ever know unless she makes a statement.
  • statho GLaDOS 2012/06/05 21:16:26
    statho
    Exactly.
  • statho juirsh 2012/06/05 21:15:09
    statho
    you obviously either don't have children or simply don't mind not spending the most QUALITY time with yours if you do. Since I have the tedious task of explaining the logically obvious to you, at least take a moment to process this before you reply with insults: most children in school are out of session at around 3-4pm. Therefore, they get home after 4pm, wind down after changing clothes and having a snack around 5:30pmish, pull out and start homework which is a minimum of 1hr but most likely 2hours worth of work. That makes it about 7pm when they finish. I didn't even mention dinnertime, bathtime, and perhaps some personal reading. If the child doesn't want to be a wreck the next day (since he or she usually has to get up by at least 6:30am the latest) he should actually try to hit the sack before 9pm like maybe, 8ish. This starts all over again the next day! Then we cram all our fam time into the weekends because we clearly don't get enough QUALITY time throughout the week. Sure, children should become accustomed to some type of routine of responsibility, but we are overloading not only the teachers with responsibility but the children as well...Sparky.
  • juirsh statho 2012/06/11 03:39:29
    juirsh
    .....and if you are somewhat religious you even have church once, twice or dare I even say it three times a week. I was sooo abused (forgive the slight sarcasm)! I don't even know what studyhalls were or even if the teacher ended a certain class early, I presume! Oh and I'm guessing the child never had any holidays or any time to get massive amounts of homework that are accustomed to a what-third grader? Life is tough but somehow I and many other people before me have perservered and led the way to finishing Homework!!!!!!! (mucho apologies for bigger sarcasm) :)
  • La statho 2012/06/02 01:21:11
    La
    Um, school is typically 9am-3pm, give or take half an hour. That's six hours, less if you remember they get recess and lunch (so that's like a free hour in the middle). And she's 8, so what, grade 3 or 4? They would get maybe 1 hour of homework max. If I remember, usually in lower school levels the homework is maybe a page of maths, or a project to work on. Primary school teachers love projects. Also there is usually a presumption that the parent will help the kid if the kid can't do it, because you know, good parents like to see their kids do well in school. So if the family "can't spend time" with the kid because the kid is doing homework, maybe they should be helping them...particularly if it's a kid who never does their homework.
  • GLaDOS La 2012/06/02 02:10:19 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    +1
    O_o My girls' school days are 7 hrs., and when they brought homework home, it was two-to-five pages of math, a page or two of Science or Social Studies, two pages of English, possibly, and oh, GOD, the book reports. Honestly, six in a year? For a fourth-grader!? Seriously?

Some days they'd get no homework, such as Fridays, but most days they'd have at least 3-4 sheets to work through, and some nights? Eight or nine. And I can assure you that it took a lot more than "one hour" for them to do them all, even with my help, short of my giving them the answers, which I don't believe in.
  • Cheeseu... GLaDOS 2012/06/02 05:17:39
    Cheeseus Christ
    +1
    Watch out School Board! Here comes Public Enemy No. 1 with a class action lawsuit! Plus, six book reports in nine months, in all honesty, not that much. Do the math or ask your kids, maybe they can do it after ALL THAT homework.
  • GLaDOS Cheeseu... 2012/06/02 06:14:08
    GLaDOS
    I repeat, I don't believe in giving them the answers, and I'll be dipped before I do their homework for them. Otherwise, how the heck will they learn? If the teachers are assigning too much, then I guess they just get to fail.

I will help, but I won't do the work for them. Six book reports in 180 days of school, that's a book report every 30 days, which may not be much to you, but it's a pain in the ass to me, pardon my elocution.

I'm hardly going to bring a class-action lawsuit against them, but they really should focus on assigning an amount of work appropriate to the age. "One hour" of homework is not three-to-nine sheets a night, adding in at least 15-20 minutes of reading afterward. They have responsibilities, including bathing themselves, and taking care of their animals, which takes approximately an hour each, then, of course, I have to make sure they're fed, which is another 45 min. to an hour, not that I really care if their homework is covered in stains and blotches.
  • statho GLaDOS 2012/06/05 21:26:09
    statho
    These morons who are attaking what you say obviously suck as parents or aren't. Move on while laughing and shaking your head.
  • Cheeseu... GLaDOS 2012/06/06 04:00:58
    Cheeseus Christ
    While you have a fair point, it's only going to prepare them for the real world. Life is hell, the sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

Also, (this is just a joke) 'pardon my elocution?
    feel like a sir
  • GLaDOS Cheeseu... 2012/06/06 05:16:24
    GLaDOS
    +1
    Life is what you make it.

But, that doesn't mean that teachers should set them up to potentially fail, particularly in Elementary school where they're only dealing with one, or two, teachers in a given day. It's not like high school where you have a different teacher giving you a different assignment with no care for what the others are giving you.
  • statho La 2012/06/05 21:23:57 (edited)
    statho
    No offense, but it is clear that you either don't know wth you are talking about or your children are going to a school in a fairytale. One hour, one page of homework? Teachers who anticipate the parents will do the work for the child?! lmao. ooooooookkkaaaaay.
  • Cheeseu... statho 2012/06/02 05:12:31
    Cheeseus Christ
    +1
    You didn't do very well in school, did you? I mean, if you hate homework that much, I take it you werent exactly an A student.
  • statho Cheeseu... 2012/06/05 21:29:48
    statho
    I loved and still do love school. Btw, 3.9 GPA in college and always honor roll in middle and high school. My child is also straight A student and always has been. Took second in National spelling bee one year and uuuh,, loves school. Thanks for that moment to boast.
  • Cheeseu... statho 2012/06/06 04:06:22
    Cheeseus Christ
    Then why you be complaining about two hours of homework? If you do teh maths, you shalt see that on a normal school day, homework would end at, at latest, 6:30 and unless you put your kids to bed at 7:00, you still have an hour and a half to two hours.
  • Kuruptsoul 2012/06/01 21:21:13
    Meaningful
    Kuruptsoul
    +4
    I have deserved many of these in my lifetime, why have I never got one????
  • Jack 2012/06/01 21:14:50
    Meaningful
    Jack
    +5
    This is about as mild a punishment as the child could possibly have received. When I was at school, if I'd repeatedly not handed in homework, I'd have been hit in front of the whole class, and I'd have deserved it. The mere fact that this is an issue shows just how much kids are worshipped nowadays, instead of just being treated like the trainee adults that they are.
  • GLaDOS Jack 2012/06/02 01:03:17
  • Jack GLaDOS 2012/06/02 01:29:03
    Jack
    Yeah, I remember that being on T.V.! Even in school (and I was a badly behaved little bastard!) I still believed in corporal punishment. I'm not saying it's a first resort, but some children simply cannot be controlled by any other means.
  • GLaDOS Jack 2012/06/02 01:59:59
    GLaDOS
    Given that it was intended to be a joke, it seemed a little malicious, or, at least, thoughtless.
  • Jack GLaDOS 2012/06/02 02:04:03
    Jack
    Do you mean Pink Floyd's video? Or my opinion? Or yours? I'm pretty confused!
  • GLaDOS Jack 2012/06/02 02:22:32
    GLaDOS
    The teacher's action. Even the principal said it was "only a joke."
  • PatBB Jack 2012/06/02 12:04:45
    PatBB
    Hitting, IF DONE AT ALL, should be done only for serious moral offenses, such as bullying or actions which are crimes when done by adults. Failure to do homework deserves discipline, but not a hittable offense IMO.
  • Jack PatBB 2012/06/02 18:47:40
    Jack
    I'm not so sure. A kid who repeatedly doesn't do homework is being openly disobedient. If kids deliberately don't do what they're told, they're basically giving the middle finger to the adults. If the punishment you're using doesn't make them do the homework, the punishment has to keep increasing.
  • Sam Adams 2012/06/01 21:09:34
    Meaningful
    Sam Adams
    +6
    Seems to me that she earned every bit of that "award." Furthermore, the mother should look to herself for not taking a more involved role in her child's education.

Parent's: It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to see that your children are educated! The schools are there to make it easier for you, BUT IT IS STILL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!!!
  • mybloodturnstoalcohol 2012/06/01 21:08:30
    Mean
    mybloodturnstoalcohol
    +1
    Obviously, she should get her homework done (what in the world is she going to do when she's a teenager? Fail out of high school?), but this is *so* far from the correct way to approach it.
  • juirsh myblood... 2012/06/01 22:14:53
    juirsh
    +1
    I don't have time for this idiotic conversation!
  • myblood... juirsh 2012/06/03 03:35:48
    mybloodturnstoalcohol
    Um, okay...then why are you here? You make no sense....
  • juirsh myblood... 2012/06/04 01:54:43
    juirsh
    lol!I know, I was tired at the time and I just wanted to write something quick. Yes it absolutely made no sense whatsoever
  • myblood... juirsh 2012/07/07 17:40:25
    mybloodturnstoalcohol
    +1
    ....okay, then.

2014/12/19 09:22:11