KIA Bracelets for Marines: Should Disneyland East Approve?

Fef 2011/10/17 19:27:27
Disneyland East -- the Marines' affectionate term for United States Marine Corps headquarters at Arlington, Virginia -- has put the halt on Marine's wearing Killed In Action bracelets ("KIA bracelets"). Marines wear the bracelets to honor their fallen devil dogs.
KIA bracelets worn by Marines vary in design; some are rubber, most are metal. They are, however, considered unauthorized jewelry, according to Marine Corps uniform orders, but the regulation being used to ban them is enforced unevenly across the force. Some commands turn a blind eye to it, with even senior leaders wearing them, while others have told Marines they are prohibited.

Among rank-and-file Marines, the greatest source of confusion — and frustration — lies in a passage of the uniform order that approves Marines to wear bracelets honoring prisoners of war or those who are considered missing in action. POW/MIA bracelets are similar in size and style to KIA bracelets. They were authorized by a Secretary of the Navy message published in 1972 during the Vietnam War. SECNAV is not considering a change to the regulations, either.

The KIA bracelets look very similar to the approved POW/MIA bracelets. “There is no difference between the three except the writing on the bracelet. It is not like they are going out to get a pink bracelet. As long as it meets the standards of the bracelets, it should be no different. I have seen watches that are more extravagant,” 1st Sgt. Travis DeBarr said.

“There are few ways to make the loss of a Marine bearable,” Sgt. Megan Cavanaugh, who is assigned to the Marine Senate Liaison Office in Washington, D.C. said, “but memorializing them seems to help.”

The United States Marine Corps needs to conform to uniform standards. However, the USMC can change those standards to allow its fighting force to keep up with the times and instill morale -- never leave a brother behind.

Read More: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/10/marin...

• Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/10/17 19:32:29
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +7
    I say allow it. If they are of a similar size and standard as the bracelets already allowed, and it makes the grief easier to bear, and brings honor to fallen Marines, then they should be allowed. The bracelets seem to honor marines killed in action and keep people from forgetting that some give all. I think they should be allowed.

• Keith 2011/11/15 05:34:54 (edited)
    Ooh-rah
    Keith
    When I was in Vietnam from the late 60's early 70's my girlfriend at the time sent me 2 POW/MIA braclets which I PROUDLY wore until a medic had to remove one. I never flaunted them and no one had a problem with them. I still have the 2nd one, 40 years later
    Semper Fi!!!
  • Brosia 2011/11/08 04:32:38
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Brosia
    Unless the sleeves are short on your uniform, you will almost never even see the damned thing.
  • JustMe 2011/10/25 07:00:10
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    JustMe
    I see no difference between these and POW/MIA, I think this is a fine way to honor a fallen comrade
  • Zak Smith 2011/10/19 16:35:51
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Zak Smith
    As a Marine, I hate the idea of wearing bracelets in uniform, but if a similar one is already authorized for POW/MIA, then it should be allowed for KIA as well.
  • Govan Yee 2011/10/18 20:36:36
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Govan Yee
    +1
    The Commandant of the U.S.M.C. just authorized the KIA Bracelets after hearing from those who recently came back home from deployments. Bracelets representing POWs, KIAs and DoWs are ok to be worn!
  • Fef Govan Yee 2011/10/18 21:38:14
    Fef
    They must have read SodaHead ;)
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    +2
    Leave no one behind .. remember always ..
    Let them wear the KIA Bracelets ...
  • S. Gompers 2011/10/18 06:33:26
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    S. Gompers
    +3
    Let them remember their fallen friends in the manner they see fit.
  • ZippyTheWonderMonkey 2011/10/17 23:06:08 (edited)
    No KIA Jewelry for Marines
    ZippyTheWonderMonkey
    +1
    if they are metal and they are in a combat zone, it gives an enemy sniper something to pinpoint in on and viola, they are the next name on the bracelet. I do realize that it is a way of honoring your fallen brothers but why put your life in harms way to do so. Stow it in a pocket when in combat actions, military exercises, or anywhere else you CO is going to harass you about it. (and when you aren't going to get shot at or yelled at... sneak it on your wrist and remember your brothers, even if you are in uniform [that's my official and unofficial stance])
  • Cliff 2011/10/17 20:52:14
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Cliff
    +3
    What's the harm?
  • Bronar 2011/10/17 20:26:14
    Ooh-rah
    Bronar
    +3
    Change the regulations or don't wear them, but don't allow a flaunting of the rules.
  • Liza Jane 2011/10/17 20:25:38
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Liza Jane
    +4
    My ex was a Marine and he wore one with his uniform and no one ever said anything to him about it. They should certainly be allowed.
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2011/10/17 20:00:23
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    +3
    Survivor's guilt is bad enough... don't make it worse my not allowing the men to memorialize their fallen companions. The KIA bracelets are already nearly identical to the MIA/POW bracelets that are allowed so I see no reason not to allow these.
  • BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/17 19:53:43
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    BUCCANEER~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    How about killed by inaction bracelets for politicians
  • Rocky 2011/10/17 19:39:08
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Rocky
    +4
    I see nothing wrong with allowing the Bracelet to be worn.....however, I feel that a time limit should be placed on the priviledge of wearing one, say, thirty days....like flying the American Flag at Half-Mast for a National Hero when they die!
  • millermedia 2011/10/17 19:38:05
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    millermedia
    +4
    Someone is always unhappy about something!
  • Flowers 2011/10/17 19:34:20
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Flowers
    +4
    POW/MIA bracelets are NO DIFFERENT then the KIA, and therefore should be allowed as official and authorized for soldiers in uniform to wear. These are their friends, lost in combat when they were spared. Give them a chance to mourn!
    Allow KIA Bracelets
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +7

2014/08/21 08:21:01