KFC Closes Restaurants in Pakistan Amid Protests: Should U.S. Retailers Get Out of the Middle East?

Chris D 2012/09/21 17:00:00
Now the enraged Muslim protestors are taking it out on the Colonel! What did those chickens do to you anyway? Well, it looks like lashing out against anything American is "in style" in the Middle East right now. Oh, and help me to understand again what Pakistan is so mad at the U.S. about? Are those hundreds of millions of dollars worth of aid we send for free just not enough? Should the U.S. just pack up and get out?

MONEY.CNN.COM reports:
Yum! Brands is shuttering all of its KFC franchises in Pakistan in the wake of anti-American protests there, after one of its KFC restaurants was attacked in Lebanon last week.
franchises pakistan wake anti-american protests kfc restaurants attacked lebanon week

Read More: http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/21/news/companies/kfc...

• CODE 11 2012/09/22 00:33:53 (edited)
    CODE 11
    +16
    We should all get out of the Mid East..let them live in the 3rd century like they want !!

• MR. 2012/09/23 05:33:56
    MR.
    +1
    "THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!" *(AS LONG AS IT'S "EAST OF GREEWICH MEAN TIME!") -"Come Toto, we're leaving!"-
  • ZenerSix 2012/09/23 05:26:30 (edited)
    ZenerSix
    It was stupid to expand there in the first place. Carl's Jr and Hardee's better close those stores as well or their stock is going to sink.
  • Resp 2012/09/23 05:25:27
    Maybe
    Resp
    Why don't Americans retaliate against Muslim institutions here?
  • rk Resp 2012/09/23 05:36:25
    rk
    Because were not terrorists
  • Sapphire 2012/09/23 04:40:37
    Maybe
    Sapphire
    Let's kill and burn everything American or Western because we think it will solve all our problems!
  • meme14 2012/09/23 04:40:03
    Maybe
    meme14
    It's truly insane - all in the name of religion? Do they think they will gain favor from whoever they worship because they violently protested and destroyed a KFC? It's dumb. I think it's the radical, uneducated that do these things - anyone with half a brain would realize they only hurt themselves and the locals who are employed there - KFC is insured, they can sell chicken anywhere..the only ones who gained are the chickens...lol..somewhere chickens are rejoicing..
    kfc
    warrants
  • garyt212 2012/09/23 04:39:48
    garyt212
    +2
    Get out now unless you're stupid enough to believe Obamas Hope and Change BS.....
    obama terrorist

obama things could be worse
  • diane garyt212 2012/09/23 15:26:10
  • diane 2012/09/23 03:40:48
    diane
    +1
    lets get closer to home and secure our own borders and defend our own sovereignty, let the knuckle draggers look after their own, or kill themselves off whatever comes first. Over these muslims.
  • Eden Andalus 2012/09/23 03:39:48
    Eden Andalus
    +2
    Just cos Pakistan have some crazies that dosen't mean all of the Mid East don't wanna get fat the American way! :$
  • luigi1-... Eden An... 2012/09/23 13:40:22
    luigi1- in god we trust
    The USA will never defeat this region.

Let the fast food chains stay. We will kill them slowly with our fast food.
  • Eden An... luigi1-... 2012/09/24 06:59:12
    Eden Andalus
    lol you'll die first and faster with your own food :P
  • natwebb 2012/09/23 03:11:21
    natwebb
    +2
    Most of these companies franchise the restaurants. I expect locals own these restaurant franchises. The idiots who burn them are attacking their neighbors. Like the idiots who riot everhwhere, whether Los Angeles or Cairo; they burn their neighborhoods, their neighbor's car, shop or house.

Maybe exposure to western culture can undercut the crazy notions of the religious nuts that seek to dominate these places.

Anyone who calls for democracy in the Islamic world needs to remember that Thomas Jefferson is not a role model taught in their schools and churches. "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." That concept is as foreign as can be imagined to a man who believes his god (in his magic book) tells him to kill apostates, heritics and infidels.

Calls for compromise cause me to ask the question, how do I compromise with a man whose stated goal is to kill me. Do I pay him not to kill me today, this week or this year? The only way to compromise with these people is for them to take the first step and abandon the goal of killing us. Until that happens, no compromise is possible.

Maybe if they...

Maybe if they eat a hamburger or peice of fried chicken, they can start to become more like us, and decide that killing us is not the best plan.

One more thought, they seem to forget that is is us in the west that has the ability to kill them, if that were our stated goal. They should take comfort in the knowledge that we do not preach death to muslims. It is for the same reasoning that causes we in the west view with alarm the desire of Iran's leaders to build atomic weapons.
  • elvira 2012/09/23 03:06:02
    elvira
    +1
    All Americans should leave the Middle East. No more money sent to the Middle East--at all. Secure our borders with the military (no political determent) to keep them (Middle East people) out. I suspect they will eventually eliminate one another.
  • Tpem 2012/09/23 03:06:00
    Maybe
    Tpem
    +1
    It's their business so it's up to them to get out or not.
  • Thor American EXPAT n New G... 2012/09/23 03:00:22
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    No start selling them poisoned food instead. And exploding turbins that only kill the wearer. Hey there's a market for everything. selling poisoned food exploding turbins kill wearer hey market
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/23 02:58:50
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    The only thing that might work is to change the names of those "American" names to something regional?? Stop giving money. SELL them arms and LET THEM KILL EACH ORHER WITHOUT OUR HELP !!
  • belinda baardsen 2012/09/23 02:41:35
    belinda baardsen
    +2
    No, I do not think anyone doing business should close shop.Remember these are franchises, and they are run by local people who bought into the brand. However, I do believe we should stop sending money to Pakistan--they do not need our money; they have plenty of it. Secondly, I do not believe we should be involved in middle eastern affairs with the use of our military, whatever needs to be settled amongst themselves--should be settled amongst themselves by themselves.
  • srini 2012/09/23 02:34:46
    srini
    Let the 1st-century (BC) mentality POS's between the Nile and the world's largest sewer get KFC (or a local competitor "Chicken 66") from India if they can get a visa to go there (note: about 80 million of them don't need a visa, specifically those residing in the area between the Radcliffe Line and the Ganges--which you may have is the aforementioned sewer)
  • Dahlia 2012/09/23 02:34:45
    Dahlia
    +4
    Once a business gets that big I don't think you can rightfully claim it as your countries company. Its just a world wide company now. A good example is the fact that a lot of people in Japan think McDonald's was a Japanese creation. I'm not joking. A friend of mine who went to Japan said a Japanese woman asked him if America has McDonald's restaurants.
  • Cat 2012/09/23 02:05:30
    Cat
    +1
    A good idea. Let them eat their hummus and kebabs.
  • me Cat 2012/09/23 12:19:05
    me
    Oh, they DO have great hummus and kebabs! Couple of Pakistani's run a take-out place near me. Wow, is it good food. Gyros are fantastic And they do chicken like Roy Rogers, not crappy like KFC. ;-)
  • Cat me 2012/09/23 23:06:27
    Cat
    I know. I have lots of Arabic friends whose families moved here years ago 'TO GET AWAY FROM THE CRAZINESS".
  • bodaciousMKJ 2012/09/23 01:39:39
    bodaciousMKJ
    +2
    Unless they are losing money I don't think they should.
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/09/23 01:13:25 (edited)
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    The region is too volatile people are too violent.
  • Moh Al-a 2012/09/23 00:45:55
    Maybe
    Moh Al-a
    +1
    But for sure US military should get out of the Middle East.
  • clasact 2012/09/23 00:39:16
    clasact
    get out completely then when they kill each other off our hands are clean
  • naked_and_barefoot N.I.T. 2012/09/23 00:21:19
    naked_and_barefoot N.I.T.
    +1
    Pack up and come home to America where home is. Let them find and cook their own food.
  • Lorenz0... naked_a... 2012/09/23 01:43:20
    Lorenz0 W. ElMenzo
    +1
    or themselves!
  • artso 2012/09/23 00:13:40
    artso
    +2
    Yes, ungrateful pigs! Let them go back to eating goat, serves them right.
  • WWZ Captain 2012/09/22 23:57:46
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/09/22 23:47:05
  • Robin 2012/09/22 23:16:25
    Maybe
    Robin
    +1
    up to them.. me? I wouldn;t be there to begin with
  • Hawk 2012/09/22 22:52:20
    Hawk
    +1
    Maybe they would like dog meat instead. Wer`e paying for the chicken anyway. muslim dog meat
  • topcat128 2012/09/22 22:50:50
    topcat128
    +1
    Why would any company want to be in a country with 14 centery throwbacks in contol.
  • me topcat128 2012/09/23 12:23:21
    me
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
  • BabyBear 2012/09/22 21:55:17
    Maybe
    BabyBear
    +1
    Well, war isn't working. Maybe it's a new strategy, death by heart attack, diabetes & cholesterol....
  • Lorenz0... BabyBear 2012/09/23 01:48:56
    Lorenz0 W. ElMenzo
    +1
    Yea, That's it, The New Obama Middle-East, foreign polocy stratedgy!
  • BabyBear Lorenz0... 2012/09/23 01:53:40
    BabyBear
    Considering these are private corporations, tax payer money isn't being used. Talk about a win-win. Now to open a Krispy Kreme, a Southern Maid & In-N-Out to really give them some health problems.
  • ronbo 2012/09/22 21:50:55
    ronbo
    +1
    We don,t need their business that bad.

2014/08/27 15:26:11