John Stossel: Ban All the Things?! Should Government Ban More or Less?

Fef 2013/02/08 23:00:00
The following is an excerpt from an opinion column reporter John Stossel wrote for The Washington Examiner. Do you think the government should ban more or less?

WASHINGTONEXAMINER.COM reports:I like to bet on sports. Having a stake in the game, even if it's just five bucks, makes it more exciting. I also like playing poker. Unacceptable! say politicians in much of America. Gambling sometimes leads to 'addiction,' destitute families!

Well, it can.

So politicians ban it. It's why we no longer see a poker game in the back of bars. Half the states even ban poker between friends -- though they rarely enforce that.

After banning things, politicians' second favorite activity is granting special privileges to a few people who do those same things -- so big casinos flourish, and most states run their own lotteries. Running lotteries is one of the more horrible things our governments do. The poor buy the most tickets, and states offer them terrible odds. The government entered the lottery business promising to end the criminal numbers racket. Now states do what the criminals did but offer much worse odds. Adding insult to their scam, politicians also spend our tax money promoting lotteries with disgusting commercials that trash hard work, implying that happiness comes from hedonism.

Read More: http://washingtonexaminer.com/john-stossel-ban-all...

• Katherine 2013/03/10 05:54:54
    Ban Less
    Katherine
    How about other. We've been so brainwashed to believe in moral relativity, some leftist comes along and tells us "well you guys want to ban things too." There's absolutely no discernment for right and wrong and tyranny.
  • Markie 2013/02/12 03:06:10
    Ban More
    Markie
    Ban Stossel, he is a bonehead
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2013/02/11 20:20:59
    Ban Less
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    The corollary of course, is to hold people responsible for their actions. Stop forcing the taxpayer to pay for safety nets for those who make poor choices in life.
  • Flowers 2013/02/11 17:19:08
    Ban Less
    Flowers
    +1
    They have gotten out of hand with all this banning. Every day, there is a new ban being put in effect, or proposed. On the local and federal level, politicians need to get a freaking grip on what their responsibility is and what is beyond their scope
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2013/02/11 12:40:13
    Ban Less
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    We the people shoudl not have all our freedoms restricted by a government that wants to rule every step of our lives. People should have personal responsibility, too. The government should encouyrage and speak more about that rather than try to be the mother or father of the people.
  • Wohuz 2013/02/11 09:13:14
    Ban Less
    Wohuz
    +3
    Prohibition never works, it only creates a black market.
  • ivegotl... Wohuz 2013/02/11 12:41:01
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    Equalling more crime.
  • Old Salt 2013/02/11 04:22:27
  • Michael... Old Salt 2013/02/11 14:34:16
    Michael Mcconnell
    +3
    Actually, it is time for a second party. The democrats and republicans are nothing more than a two headed dog.
  • Old Salt Michael... 2013/02/11 21:37:09
  • FeedFwd... Old Salt 2013/02/11 20:22:46 (edited)
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    I'm guessing most Americans aren't on SH... I know, it's hard to believe! ;)
  • Old Salt FeedFwd... 2013/02/11 21:39:09
  • DeeB 2013/02/11 02:26:08
    Ban Less
    DeeB
    +1
    Try NOTHING!
  • Charles E 2013/02/11 00:13:28
    Ban Less
    Charles E
    +3
    Banning is the first reaction of a politician seeking headlines that might get him re-elected.

The rush to do "something" and the refusal to admit that "something" didn't work is the basis of many of our problems.
  • ArisBoch 2013/02/11 00:12:35
    Ban Less
    ArisBoch
    +5
    The state should ban less, this erosion of freedom serves no purpose and only creates black markets and the surrounding mafia. The same goes for drugs.
  • Transquesta 2013/02/10 21:37:46
    Ban Less
    Transquesta
    +7
    Banning unacceptable behaviors is a necessary component of living together with other human beings. Banning things is pointless at best and wasteful/evil at worst. Wherever there is a demand there WILL be a supply REGARDLESS of any silly attempts on the part of government to prohibit it. In fact, banning something only serves to drive UP the demand for the object of prohibition.
  • ivegotl... Transqu... 2013/02/11 12:42:19
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +3
    Exactly. The bootleggers, gangsters and moonshiners of the 20's did a roaring trade in alcohol, which would have been tempered if the government had not signed in whatever amendment that was to ban alcohol.
  • Transqu... ivegotl... 2013/02/11 20:12:08
    Transquesta
    +3
    There's no telling how many people's lives were destroyed by that busybody do-gooder, Carry Nation. Alcohol may kill, but codependency and arrogance kills a whole lot more.
  • FeedFwd... ivegotl... 2013/02/11 20:17:50
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    Prohibited by the 18th, repealed by the 21st.
  • ivegotl... FeedFwd... 2013/02/12 11:06:50
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    Thank you! It is difficult to remeber all of the US Constitution.
  • FeedFwd... ivegotl... 2013/02/12 13:35:48
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    There are several groups that give out a pocket sized copy of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence free for the asking. I think the Cato Institute and the Heritage Foundation are 2 of them. It's something I have gotten my kids as they have advanced to high school.
  • ivegotl... FeedFwd... 2013/02/13 11:02:22
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    I live in Britain, but I can access the Constitution online. Its sad when I heard that many Americans have not read their Constitution- is this true? It should be mandatory reading. I am not even 20, but I ma well versed in my Nigerian Constitution.
  • FeedFwd... ivegotl... 2013/02/13 13:25:22
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    In America, I think a lot of things are taken for granted. That is one of the problems we face. There is enough freedom and prosperity here that many people don't pay attention until something hits them in the face. And the mainstream media in America has long been revered and trusted as the historical watchdog on government. Unfortunately, for many reasons not the least of which is 24 hour news coverage on TV, the media has become politicized. Changes have occurred so gradually, that many people simply don't realize they have occurred. And our government continues to spend beyond its means so that the politicians running it can get reelected without having to deal with their bad decisions. Schools don't teach as much as they used to teach and what they teach is shaded with political correctness. It is sad, but I suspect most people have either not read the constitution or read it as some kind of homework assignment when they were in school ans subsequently have forgotten what they read.
  • FeedFwd... Transqu... 2013/02/11 20:16:23
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    and the price, which in turn, invites organized crime. Hmmmm.... where have we seen that before?
  • Transqu... FeedFwd... 2013/02/11 20:22:14
    Transquesta
    +2
    On the main Americans are far more likely to chase parked cars than not, but "war on drugs" conservatives are some of the most mind-bendingly, militantly stupid of all.
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2013/02/10 21:33:21
    Ban Less
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +2
    even though some people want to give the government power to ban more and more things
  • wilsonmja 2013/02/10 19:24:32
    Ban Less
    wilsonmja
    +4
    The sad part is that they tax the rich at an obscene rate whilst spreading the money amongst the poor. THEN, they put things like state run gambling and heavy cigerette taxes in affect to make sure they get that money back from them. It's funny because Oregon is one of the most left leaning states in the union, but in every bar everywhere there are poker machines that just sit there and feed on the poor like vampires while they shovel their money in them just hoping to catch one break despite the horrible odds of doing so. They're even designed to grab attention and keep you sitting there with clever subliminal messages. Sure, there are gambling hotline numbers stuck to the machines if you bust out your microscope and find them. The state wants you to believe that them controlling gambling is protecting you from the evil, heartless companies that want all your money. In fact, they are creating a monopoly to make sure they get every damn dime to spend on bigger salaries, more state run programs, and they toss a little of the scraps to education so they can sleep at night. It's fuc*ing disgusting.
  • ivegotl... wilsonmja 2013/02/11 12:44:09
    ivegotloveinmypants
    Very well said. Taxing the rich is not really a crime, though. The revenue to build the country's infrastructure has to come from somewhere.
  • wilsonmja ivegotl... 2013/02/11 18:27:24
    wilsonmja
    +1
    Well, that's a whole different can of worms. I will say that if you're going to tax the rich at a obscene rate than at least have a government that helps the poor become productive instead of feeding on what little money they can scrape up.
  • ivegotl... wilsonmja 2013/02/12 11:07:14
    ivegotloveinmypants
    True again.
  • Jeff wilsonmja 2013/02/13 04:28:07 (edited)
    Jeff
    How about the politicians and the regular Federal Employees pay into the IRS for the pivileges of having their their positions and benefits, if they exceed more than 2 to 4 years or set position time limits? The State Polticians and employees would pay the states. Unless a certain amount of jobs are created in the public sector and kept, dock the Washington big wigs' paychecks to offset the unemployment and welfare costs, until the situation improves. Outsource the Supreme Court Justices positions to the Phillipines just to keep it interesting. :--)
  • wilsonmja Jeff 2013/02/13 19:10:48
    wilsonmja
    +1
    Not bad.
  • FeedFwd... ivegotl... 2013/02/11 20:36:15
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    Like the users? If I want to mail a letter with the USPS, I pay postage. If I want to drive on a road, I either buy gasoline that is taxed or I pay a toll. If I don't use the roads, I pay little or nothing for them. If I use the roads a lot, I pay a lot. Same with national parks. Same with the helpful government brochures and pamphlets printed up in Pueblo, CO. Same for most things the government provides or should be providing.
  • ivegotl... FeedFwd... 2013/02/12 11:07:42
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    Fair enough. Some good counter arguments here.
  • Sagan 2013/02/10 15:53:17
  • Jane 2013/02/10 13:46:20
    Ban More
    Jane
    We defiantly need more regulations in the financial industry.
  • ivegotl... Jane 2013/02/11 12:44:52
    ivegotloveinmypants
    But regulations are not neccessrily the same thing as a ban. But I agree with you. Less regulation led to the last recession. We can't afford to go there again.
  • Jane ivegotl... 2013/02/12 17:27:19
    Jane
    +1
    And we must fund the regulators. That is a trick that both parties have used in the past to prove regulations don't work, but they do work if properly funded.
  • FeedFwd... Jane 2013/02/11 20:47:14
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    Be carful what you ask for.
  • Jane FeedFwd... 2013/02/12 17:28:01
    Jane
    I would also ask for funding for the regulators.

2014/11/23 04:49:08