Jobs Move to the USA?

~ The Rebel ~ 2012/03/05 18:22:48

Here is a man bites dog story. The Caterpillar Company has closed a Canadian plant and has moved back to the United States.

The union in Canada refused to take a 50% pay cut. So, it will now take a 100% pay cut.

This is great for American workers. It is fitting for union members in Canada. “We won’t budge,” they said. “We will stand firm.” They will stand firm, holding their picket signs, permanently.

This is how freedom works. A group of workers in the USA are willing to work for the pay that Canadian union members refused to accept. The union was underbid. The liberty of American workers to underbid Canadian workers is the essence of economic liberty.

This of course is seen as an outage by Canadian workers. “Unfair labor practices” they will scream. “Scabs!” Let them scream. No one in the USA is listening.

Despite the layoffs, picketing has continued into the weekend as the now former employees call for a closure agreement from the company. The head of the Canadian Auto Workers is also calling for a public inquiry.

Read More: http://teapartyeconomist.com/2012/03/05/jobs-move-...

• Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/03/06 01:01:42
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    Until CAT can find the next population to exploit for substandard wages.
  • Avenged7 2012/03/05 21:53:42
    Avenged7
    +1
    Your going to see more jobs come back to the U.S., especially from China, as the right wing has pushed down wages, with their war against the American worker. Also as the middle class in China is developing, because of the increase in wages there. Isn't it ironic because this countries wages are going the other way, so now we are taking jobs away from the Chinese workers!!
  • skyperkins1 2012/03/05 21:13:29
  • Joe Shw... skyperk... 2012/03/06 01:04:12
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    what is an excessive wage?
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/03/05 20:28:56
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +3
    Canadian Communists tough crap, As for Canadians who do not follow the Communist/union agenda it's rough for them.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/03/05 20:15:26
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +4
    The Unions are killing countries all over the world. When will they ever learn.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 01:03:30
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    Really? Because Germany seems to be a European power house... go figure.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 01:06:19
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    Yep, Clueless. Have you been to Germany lately? I guess unemployment is nothing to you.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 01:12:43
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    Its OK to be lead around by your nose by those that count on your ignorance.
    http://www.google.com/publicd...
    Germany Unemployment 2 2012
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 01:15:22
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    And this shows? Did you ask all those unemployed? I have many friends there. Just when you compare them to the rest of Europe that means nothing. Europe as a whole is failing fast.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 01:29:17
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE OF GERMANY.

I would have thought someone so well versed in German economics would know what the rate is ... hmmm guess not.

So now you are backing off of your initial statement to include Europe as a whole? That has zilch to do with the unions.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 02:23:32
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    I knew what you are trying to show but it shows nothing when there are still many unemployed and many not finding jobs.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 14:44:11
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    That statement can be applied worldwide. I still do not see how you can connect this even remotely to being a "union" problem.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 19:28:59
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Well since I've worked for 3 major corporation that closed due to the Unions I can make first hand. Since we just lost two hospitals due to high cost of the Unions and one right in my neighborhood we can make it first hand. Since My other half has to fight right now trying to save their company from the cost of the Unions and the regulations and can't fire imcompent people. Union leaders themselves come right out and admit they are not for the people any more so shut your stupid face thinking they are the save all for the world. Lately they are destroyers.

Yep, forget about the law.....we are union thugs and that's all that matters. http://frontpagemag.com/2011/...
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 20:33:33
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    And you are completely positive that its always the unions fault a company closes its doors, right? Right? With all the other factors it goes into running a successful company its always about the employee wages that determines success or failure right? Right?
    Its the union that tells the company what to build, how to build it, and where to sell it, right? Its the unions that tell the company you have to keep insubordinate employees on the payroll, right? Right?
    Its the sum total of 7% of the labor force in the country that has caused the problems we have today, right?

Just askin .... to see just how foolish you really are willing to make yourself appear for the world to see.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 21:05:43
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    I was there. I personally saw the Union thugs. I personally worked in Estimating and we couldn't compete any longer. I personally saw the salaries of all the office workers salaries double mine included from one week to the next due to the pushing of the Unions. I personally watched out contracts go overseas. I personally saw the writing on the wall and took that pay I was making prior to the double increased and took a job at another company so I could have a job.

I personally have to hear about at home and all the troubles they have with the Unions.

I personally have to see the money my sister has to pay SEIU just so she can take care of our own mother at home because they call that home nursing.

I personally talk to my neighbor who also is a home care nurse and she never wanted to be in a Union but because she also is a home care nurse they force her to be.

If you want to be a Union Stooge then be one but allow those that don't want any part of them to also not be forced into them.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 21:33:10
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    Nobody forces anyone to a union unless you apply and are highered into a union shop, or the majority of your fellow coworkers seek to be organized.

So your union "thug" mantra falls flat. There is always another low wage country you can find a job in ... I hear China is big on non-union labor ... oh but you may have to compete with a billion other people willing to undercut you.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 21:39:47
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    Wrong. My sister and all those with her didn't choose the Union she is forced in it to take care of our own mother.
    My sister never signed up for the Union but they take money out of my mothers medicare since moms not at the nursing home any longer. Since my sister also works part time to pay bills all those that take care of mom also have union fees come out of their pay.
    I worked at a Non Union company and didn't vote for the Union so to keep my job we were forced. I never did sign up but either work or not. The company closed years later. Opps, good old unions.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/06 22:05:30
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    Nobody was forced ... in the case of your former employer. Many of your coworkers chose to be organized. ITS CALLED DEMOCRACY! And that is the way its works.

You mean that socialized program ... Medicare? I would think that a giant rejection of anything socialized would be coming from you instead of accepting a government handout.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/06 22:13:32
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    We don't live in a Democracy we live in a Republic.

Forcing home care workers into SEIU to take care of their own mother is forcing.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/07 01:04:11
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    Dont accept the money then if its so offensive.
  • Hula gi... Joe Shw... 2012/03/07 01:25:05
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +1
    What money? It's her own money...she paid into it it's hers to take now that she's 90 years old. You could pay more and pay for an expensive nursing home but since too many die from Mersa there she was taken out. Sad you have no heart and support such an organization.
  • Joe Shw... Hula gi... 2012/03/07 04:58:10
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    I do wholeheartedly ... union labor will be the organization to save the middle class.
  • Gordon 2012/03/05 20:13:29
    Gordon
    +3
    Unions have become very expensive and greedy in Canada and here in the States. Too bad for those greedy Canadian workers. It is better to have half pay than no pay.
  • Joe Shw... Gordon 2012/03/06 01:03:47
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    better for who?
  • RJ~PWCM~JLA 2012/03/05 19:57:13
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    Is Caterpillar sure that 0bama's NLRB will allow them to move the factory back into the US?
  • Lefty 2012/03/05 19:21:47 (edited)
    Lefty
    I'm listening! This has been the game all along. Put US workers out of work long enough and we will eventually work for peanuts. Another success story for capitalism.
  • RJ~PWCM... Lefty 2012/03/05 19:58:30
    RJ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    "Listening" but obviously not comprehending.

This is a case of a union LOSING its members their jobs.

If you deny that, you have your head in the sand.
  • Lefty RJ~PWCM... 2012/03/05 20:05:35
    Lefty
    And you cannot see the forest for the trees!
  • JoeBlo 2012/03/05 19:02:51
    JoeBlo
    +5
    Double whammy.

Back in 2009, 0bie said his porkulus package would bring jobs back from Canada to Illinois. No dice.
    Immediately after Indiana became a Right to Work state, Caterpillar announced they will NOT be going to Illinois and opt for 450 new jobs in Indiana instead.

Meanwhile, they also announced they will be moving 1,400 jobs back from Japan, to a brand new $200 Million facility near Atlanta, Georgia (another Right to Work state) which will create 3,000 more jobs in Athens, GA.

Are we feeling a trend here?
  • Cthulhu 2012/03/05 19:02:19
    Cthulhu
    +3
    Good for us. On another note ...

This is what NAFTA and all the free trade agreements were about. The freedom of employers to setup shop anywhere they want.

Indeed, the freedom of financial firms to move money anyplace they want, for any reason they want, any time they want. Even if it destroys a nation.
  • SneakyPete 2012/03/05 18:43:43
    SneakyPete
    +2
    And we shall see a 100% increase in union wages plus retirement and benefits. What a deal....
  • K-ZOOMI-----0 2012/03/05 18:28:34
    K-ZOOMI-----0
    +3
    Still...Unions are here in the U.S. destroying jobs quicker!
  • Lefty K-ZOOMI... 2012/03/05 19:26:59 (edited)
    Lefty
    We are pawns to the big business. Slavery may be a better word. Go without work long enough, you'll take whatever they give you!
  • Joe Shw... K-ZOOMI... 2012/03/06 01:02:31
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    right... its the unions destroying jobs. NOT!
  • Steve Russel 2012/03/05 18:26:09
  • Lefty Steve R... 2012/03/05 19:29:57 (edited)
    Lefty
    You have been told to take a pay cut or else. Or you have been replaced by an owners relative.
  • Steve R... Lefty 2012/03/05 20:26:20
    Steve Russel
    +3
    I own a business, sometimes pay cuts are nesecary.
  • Lefty Steve R... 2012/03/05 20:49:04
    Lefty
    I do agree with that, but sometimes it's because a fresh younger face will do the job for less pay, and the 60 year old is on the street.

2014/09/21 14:14:44