JESUS STATUE SET ABLAZE IN MINN.

UncleKenC 2011/04/11 18:16:37
Related Topics: Police, Style, Crime, color
A hate crime that was racially motivated.
A hate crime that was religiously motivated.
Was this hate crime racially or religiously motivated?

It was a clash of images on Sunday in St. Paul, MN when a local man, Tuan Pham, awoke to see his beloved, custom-made Jesus statue in flames. According to family, someone took wood from a nearby pile and used a spray can to ignite a fire at the base of Pham’s 7-foot ode to Christ. It’s statue that has been controversial from the beginning:

It may have burned for awhile; Pham’s daughter took pictures of her father trying to knock down the flames. Fire investigators were going over the garden a few hours later. If they find evidence of arson, they are expected pass the case on to police.

“It pains me, it’s very upsetting. This means a lot to him. This is where he finds joy and where he spends a lot of his time,” Phan said about his retired father-in-law.

The statue took months to ship. It is a replica of a massive one Pham helped build more than 40 years ago in his hometown of Vung Tau, Vietnam. Pham says he was jailed for his catholic beliefs before he fled the country for Minnesota.

The statue was put in place last October and a month later, Phan says, the city received a complaint about it. The family requested a variance after officials found it was not the required 40 feet from the bluff line, but that request was denied by the city council a few days before the fire.

The family wonders if the fire was racially or religiously motivated, wondering why someone would try to burn marble; guessing it was merely meant to send a message. “Why does somebody need to go this far?” Phan wondered.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/jesus-statue-set-ablaze-in-minn/

Read More: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/jesus-statue-set-a...

• texasred 2011/04/11 21:33:49
    texasred
    +9
    A crime is a crime. And this is definitely a crime. Heaven only knows why someone would do this, but it was probably a radical Muslim. I cannot imagine who else would want to burn a beautiful piece of art depicting Jesus. And Minneapolis-St. Paul has a heavy Muslim population that is trying to force their lifestyle on Minnesotans.

• g_byst 2011/06/06 16:57:51 (edited)
    g_byst
    My opinion? It was stupidity motivated. Some punk kid with no clue as to the meaning of the statue nor any respect for anyone, including themselves. Thats what I think caused this mess.

I pray Mr Pham doesn't hold it against the country that we tolerate such stupidity. His presence is a blessing to us all.
  • Moma Knows 2011/05/24 04:50:51
    Moma Knows
    Someone took the time to file a complaint with the city and drag this man to court over his statue, I would say that whatever motivated the complaint,motivated the crime. I would be looking into who filed the complaint.
  • Justin.Long 2011/04/27 01:00:55
    Justin.Long
    +1
    who burns a stone statue really lol but seriously I think this was wrong and immature there are bettwer ways to disagree then act like a fool
  • Darnel 2011/04/25 21:50:38
    Darnel
    +1
    crime is crime.
  • Steve Boston 2011/04/24 14:05:07
    Steve Boston
    +1
    I chose none of the above only because "Hate" crimes on the books shouldn't even exist. They are the libs way of taking equality out of the equation when it comes to crime and punishment.. Brilliant. However this incident is indeed just another attack on Christianity. They just "Hate" it that America is predominately a Christian nation. I somewhat revel in their hate as no act they commit will ever change that fact. These pitiful buffoons just refuse to get it. God bless America.
  • Bureauc 0Blunder 2011/04/24 00:00:48
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +2
    The liberals that tirelessly defend the 'victimised' Athiest and muzlims will no doubt call this freedom of speech as they do flag burning but if you want to see 'hate crimes' watch the aftermath from burning a statue of mohammed.
  • UncleKenC Bureauc... 2011/04/24 05:15:34
  • Bowman 2011/04/23 14:46:19
    Bowman
    Real tolerant
  • Explorer 2011/04/17 05:32:14
    Explorer
    +1
    Who cares? It was a crime and needs to be addressed as such, not matter what the reason.
  • seadog6608PWCM 2011/04/16 18:30:46
  • RastaFan 2011/04/14 00:06:09
    RastaFan
    +1
    Well clearly .... we should get a mob together and run about like freaking madmen and pull off some people's arms.

What say you, guys? :-)
  • UncleKenC RastaFan 2011/04/14 01:38:47
    UncleKenC
    +2
    Sorry, that us make look as bad as the idiot(s) that tried to burn a marble statue of Jesus.
  • TombstoneJim 2011/04/13 20:40:23
    TombstoneJim
    +3
    Look out the Baptist will be in the street burning cars, no telling what the Catholics and Methodist may do in reprisal....oh, wait a minute that's the Muslim's who react insanely.....excuse me.

I am very sorry that some punk lit the fire, and I hope they catch him/her and let them serve a little time cleaning a rectory as punishment.
  • star 2011/04/12 23:48:30
    star
    +2
    Some people hates other races and some hate Jesus.
  • CindyLee 2011/04/12 16:28:51
    CindyLee
    +2
    And stupid to boot.... BURN MARBLE???? lmao what idiot thinks you can set fire to ROCK???
  • teaputts 2011/04/12 15:39:07
    teaputts
    +3
    How sad. This man left a place where he was persecuted for being a Catholic, and comes here. We will allow men who rape their wives under the pretense of religion to go free, but someone here can't have a piece of artwork they helped create?

Did anyone else find it hysterical that the wood was moved to the statue, and a spray can was used as an accelerant, and that IF there is evidence of arson, they police will investigate? WTF?
  • teaputts teaputts 2011/04/12 15:39:33
    teaputts
    +2
    Shoot! I thought I hit ALL of the above!
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/04/12 12:48:53
    Artist~PWCM~
    +3
    Persecution...pure and simple!
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/04/12 09:17:20
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    Thats terrible, hope they find the perps.
  • USAF Vet 2011/04/12 07:04:24
    USAF Vet
    +4
    That's my opinion. But in the opinion of Eric Holder and the current Justice Department, "Nothing to see here, move along, we can show marble has spontaneous combustion properties, keep moving people"
  • Dan (Politicaly Incorrect) 2011/04/12 02:30:05
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    +4
    If this had been a Mosque, the media would be all up in arms and there would be all kinds of investigations and Congress would make a new law.
  • Randice 2011/04/12 01:41:56
    Randice
    +5
    Could be motivated by religion, which I believe a muslim would more than likely be the culprit given the intolerantness of the same freedoms they enjoy, but it also could be motivated by religion from homosexuals or starving artists.

http://www.theblaze.com/stori...
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/201...

I hope they find the person that did this and they receive whatever maximum penalty one can get for trespassing and destruction of property. Whatever it is will never repay the emotional damage they did. We're in such a moral decline as a nation.
  • draconiaregina 2011/04/12 00:20:28
    draconiaregina
    +7
    Now if it was something connected to Islam it would have hit the fan, but as Open Season has been declared on Christianity, WELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2011/04/12 00:09:32
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +6
    It will never be viewed as a hate crime, it can't be the guy is a Christian. -(
  • tomas 2011/04/11 22:58:52
    tomas
    +4
    Since the crime was against a Jesus statue I would tend to think it is a religious-natured crime.

Let's see.....would a Buddhist burn it? No, don't think so. Would a Baptist burn it? No, don't think so. Would a Mormon burn it? No, don't think so. So.....what type of "religious" group might want to destroy a statue of Jesus? Maybe the same ones with the mentality who destroyed two ancient irreplaceable pieces of art, the Buddhist stone sculptures of Afghanistan. Hmmmmm......who could that be now?
  • draconi... tomas 2011/04/12 00:22:52
    draconiaregina
    +6
    Or how about a "I'm an Atheist because it's cool" type? They have no respect or brains.
  • UncleKenC draconi... 2011/04/12 00:31:32
    UncleKenC
    +2
    It is possible it could have been someone who is an Atheist, but most of the Atheist I talked with here on SodaHead, say they are not violent.
  • draconi... UncleKenC 2011/04/12 00:41:27
    draconiaregina
    +3
    Well I added the because it's cool, and if one is doing something deep like being an atheist because "it's cool and my professor is an atheist too" does not show a lot of brain power.
  • UncleKenC draconi... 2011/04/27 01:27:31 (edited)
    UncleKenC
    I know of those type they push their ideals onto their students but do not disagree with their agenda or you might pay the price in lower grades or worse.
  • draconi... UncleKenC 2011/04/27 08:07:12
    draconiaregina
    True, but then there are the lemmings,,,,,, sad but true.
  • Annie~P... tomas 2011/04/12 09:20:25
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +3
    Islamic extremists!
  • tomas Annie~P... 2011/04/12 09:26:51
    tomas
    +3
    Islamists period. We need to stop using the Democrats "extremists" term. The difference of an Islamist and an extremist is - nothing.
  • texasred 2011/04/11 21:33:49
    texasred
    +9
  • UncleKenC texasred 2011/04/11 22:19:36
    UncleKenC
    +5
    I did not know that Minneapolis-St. Paul had a large Muslim pop. and there was a problem with them forcing their lifestyle.
    Thanks for the info.
  • texasred UncleKenC 2011/04/11 22:42:04
    texasred
    +5
    Size of Twin Cities Muslim population difficult to determine ...
    For example, the State of Minnesota puts the number of Somalis at 14000-15000 statewide, with the majority located in Minneapolis.
    In the Twin Cities, where the numbers range from approximately 20,000-130,000, a narrower range of 70,000-80,000 might be more realistic.
    http://www.minneapolisfed.org...

FBI Watching Somali Muslims In Minneapolis
    http://www.cbsnews.com/storie...

Some Muslim Cabbies in Minneapolis Refusing Service to Passengers With Alcohol, Dogs
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/...
  • UncleKenC texasred 2011/04/12 00:01:00
    UncleKenC
    +2
    Read both interesting, but the deal with the cabbies takes all.
  • texasred UncleKenC 2011/04/12 01:05:20
    texasred
    I know.
  • tomas texasred 2011/04/11 22:51:48
    tomas
    +5
    They (Muslims) try to force THEIR lifestyles on everyone......worldwide. When are people going to wake up and put a halt to this crap. And don't you dare burn a Koran or we will kill you.
  • texasred tomas 2011/04/11 22:54:16
    texasred
    +3
    Or anyone that just happens to be around that doesn't look like a Muslim. Animals.
  • UncleKenC tomas 2011/04/12 00:03:24
    UncleKenC
    +2
    I did not expect this to turn into a Muslin problem in this poll.
    But is seems it could be a problem for poor Pham if his neighbors are Islamic.

2014/04/23 13:45:06