Jesus 'omitted' from Niagara Falls crossing

millermedia 2012/06/18 02:16:35
Not surprised at ABC NEWS omitting references to Jesus
ABC News does a good job at keeping Jesus' name silenced
Different opinion

SARASOTA, Fla. – Despite Nik Wallenda’s frequent mentions of God the Father and Jesus during his record-setting, high-wire crossing of Niagara Falls Friday night, an ABC News blog documenting virtually every moment of the achievement makes no mention of his verbal thanks to the Creator.

Wallenda, 33, the great grandson of legendary tightrope walker Karl Wallenda, became the first person ever to walk across Niagara Falls on a high wire, as hundreds watched on TV at a block party in his Florida hometown of Sarasota, Fla., and millions of others tuned in for ABC television coverage.

Wallenda was fitted with a microphone during his tension-filled, 25-minute saunter at 200 feet high, and he could be heard praising God numerous times as he walked the length of four football fields from New York to Canada.

“Praise you, Father God. Praise you, Jesus!” Wallenda said on one occasion.

Not only were his comments audible, but on closed-caption TV sets broadcasting the event at restaurants, each of his words glorifying God were visible.

“Oh, my gosh, it’s an unbelievable view,” Wallenda continued. “You know I am so blessed to be in the position I am to be the first person in the world to be right here.”

His remarks provided a continuous theme of inspiration, as he said, “This is what dreams are made of, people. Pursue your dreams. Never give up. Mine might seem strange, but anybody that’s dealing with any battle – focus on that other side.”

But during the event itself and on an ABC News blog chronicling the astounding event, reporters did not mention Wallenda’s frequent shout-outs to God, and some viewers are taking issue with the omission.

“Not mentioned by the news media, Wallenda prayed throughout the walk, and we could hear him,” says Christian writer Jim Bramlett.

One commenter told ABC News, “How come this blog leaves out the part about him praising Jesus? All the details are complete, except this is noticeably left out. Are you that uncomfortable typing the name of Christ?”

Another wondered, “Why could any (just one) of your ‘correspondents’ not acknowledge Mr. Wallenda’s faith in Jesus and God, throughout his walk??? What is up with that? Really. This wasn’t a stunt. it was a challenge faced by a non-fundamentalist Christian. Why can’t media acknowledge that? Ask Nik about it. I bet he would like answering the question.”

The closest thing to matters of faith cited by ABC’s blog was noting at 10:08 p.m., “The Wallenda family prays together moments before he gets on the wire.”

Later at 10:56 p.m. once the crossing was complete, ABC’s blog noted: “Nik says, “It hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m grinning from ear to ear. This is something I’ve played over and over in my mind for the past 20 years. It’s surreal. I’m really blessed to be here.”

Before the walk took place, Wallenda was asked how he could be so calm, and he answered it was thanks to prayer, saying “I am the righteousness of God in Christ,” an allusion to 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Despite the apparent omissions by journalists, Bramlett was thrilled with the broadcast, saying, “God used this sensational event to get His name proclaimed across the Earth and for people to see a man trusting in Him doing the seemingly impossible.”

• Walt 2012/06/18 03:09:23
    Walt
    +8
    The news media is talented at manipulating footage to portray reality incorrectly. (Just ask George Zimmerman.)

• socokid 2012/06/21 19:01:30
    Different opinion
    socokid
    If he was professing his faith in leprechauns and thanking them for being "lucky", I would probably have cut that part out too.

Meh.
  • socokid socokid 2012/06/21 19:02:41
    socokid
    Wait, no. I would have left that in.

Leprechauns? That would be awesome. The other stuff has been done before....
  • arkiii 2012/06/21 12:55:39
    Different opinion
    arkiii
    +1
    Jesus had nothing to do with Wallenda's walk so why mention him?
  • millerm... arkiii 2012/06/23 02:57:08
    millermedia
    Wallenda has a deep faith in Jesus Christ just as I do and I know that he was expressing his faith in a higher power. If he had been chanting eastern religion prayers then they would have allowed that with reverence. My faith in Jesus Christ gives me the greatest peace and assurance. I am sorry that you have not found that peace for yourself yet. it is available to all who ask and believe, including you my friend.
  • arkiii millerm... 2012/06/25 03:11:26
    arkiii
    thank you millermedia for you kind words, i have found peace. I am a very peaceful person...
    I don't think the media kept him from praying did they? Maybe I missed that. What I was referring to was that ABC was focusing on Wallenda's skills and training and dedication that he went through to achieve this amazing feat. It was not jesus walking that tightrope... It would have been silly for ABC news to somehow bring Jesus into the reporting of the event.
  • NoBama Man 2012/06/21 06:51:13
    NoBama Man
    +1
    Not surprises at all...what really galls me is if something tragic had occurred the reporters would have been the first ones to say what a tragedy it was and that 'he will be in their prayers'...the use of religion on the medias part is height of hypocrisy.
  • Catch224u 2012/06/19 00:47:13
    Catch224u
    +1
    Reprobates
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/06/18 20:09:35
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    Not surprised, because they're a bunch of limp wrist Liberals who would never want to do anything to insult a satanic Muslim, or anyone like them. They'll never be able to completely silence those who give the glory of their achievements to The Father, Son and Spirit.
  • Heather 2012/06/18 19:33:31
    Different opinion
    Heather
    +1
    sounds good - it wasn't suppose to be a show about religion...
  • rand 2012/06/18 14:51:58
    Different opinion
    rand
    +1
    I've no problem with media not allowing entertainers to proselytize.
  • Deb 2012/06/18 11:59:48
    Deb
    +2
    So, closed caption included his remarks, but his comments were omitted for :"hearing people" I really loathe ABC,,,,glad I don't watch that channel......at all! Just another that loves Obama,,,,and prob blame Bush for everything as well, What a crock of shhhhhhhhhhhhhhat!
  • mrdog 2012/06/18 06:33:28
    mrdog
    +1
    Liberal media? It is just their way these days...bark
  • Brandon 2012/06/18 04:24:53
    Different opinion
    Brandon
    +1
    Props to the man. However I think you would have an issue if they actually muted his remarks and didn't put anything out about Jesus at all. Instead they did. Reporters ummm reported what happened, the man did the praising so what is your issue they didn't talk about Jesus?

Save that interview for the 700 club if you want to hear it so much.
  • zbacku 2012/06/18 04:11:30
    zbacku
    +4
    The media is waging a war against Christians and the country doesn't care. We are indeed doomed as a Nation.
  • Al B Thayer 2012/06/18 03:17:24
    Al B Thayer
    +6
    Oh there is power in the name of Jesus. The way ABC handles this will never stop the Truth no mater how hard they try.
  • Deborah... Al B Th... 2012/06/18 20:10:53
  • MarinerFH 2012/06/18 03:10:57
  • Deborah... MarinerFH 2012/06/18 20:11:11
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    Sadly, nope.
  • Walt 2012/06/18 03:09:23
    Walt
    +8
  • Deborah... Walt 2012/06/18 20:11:30
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +3
    10-4!!!!!!
  • Concerned Citizen 2012/06/18 03:08:01
    Concerned Citizen
    +5
    Doesn't say much for the accuracy of ABC's News blog.
  • Deborah... Concern... 2012/06/18 20:12:33
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/06/18 03:06:59
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +4
    Wouldn't want to OFFEND anyone. (sarcasm)
  • Michelle 2012/06/18 03:03:31
    Michelle
    +4
    Imagine, for a moment, the same situation if he were a Muslim! They deny Christ because they are ashamed of their sin that He reveals yet so easily forgives if they would only repent.
  • Deborah... Michelle 2012/06/18 20:12:56
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    YUP!!!!
  • Bruce 2012/06/18 02:52:25
    Different opinion
    Bruce
    +2
    It really doesn't matter unless it was a religious program. Most religious people would realize he was thanking God for being alive which is natural. And we were probaly doing the same for his safety.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/06/18 02:51:34
    Ozzyboy
    +8
    The All Barack Channel selectively editing a tape? Isn't that what they accuse everyone else of doing????
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/18 02:22:44
    HarleyCharley
    +5
    they are biased...

2014/11/28 03:06:35