James Holmes, Aurora Shooting Suspect, Used Internet For Arsenal

Samantha 2012/07/23 16:01:06
If this isn't a reason for some regulation of Internet businesses, there never will be one! There's no valid reason for a person to own "the accoutrements that our military generally has." Suggesting that the proliferation of guns and the violent gun culture has made "America stronger" is a ridiculous claim. In my opinion, only a mentally unstable gun owner could make such an absurd comment.

In a world where Amazon can track your next book purchase and you must register to buy allergy medicine, James Holmes spent months stockpiling thousands of bullets and head-to-toe ballistic gear without raising any red flags with authorities.

The suspect in the mass theater shooting availed himself of an unregulated online marketplace that allows consumers to acquire some of the tools of modern warfare as if they were pieces of a new wardrobe. The Internet is awash in sites ranging from BulkAmmo.com, which this weekend listed a sale on a thousand rifle rounds for $335, to eBay, where bidding on one armored special forces helmet has risen to $799.

"We're different than other cultures," said Dudley Brown, executive director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, which advocates for firearms owners' rights. "We do allow Americans to possess the accoutrements that our military generally has."

Excerpts:

Rep Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), whose husband was killed in a mass shooting on the Long Island Railroad in 1993, has proposed a ban on high-capacity magazines in Congress but acknowledges it has little chance of passage. She said she was horrified by the shooting but most shocked by the other material that Holmes allegedly accumulated -- the bullets and combat gear.

"It befuddles me to think those things should be sold to the general public," she said.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/23/james-hol...

• DuncanONeil 2012/07/28 14:29:17
    DuncanONeil
    "There's no valid reason for a person to own "the accoutrements that our military generally has."
    There is no valid reason? Really!? How about; "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government," or "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." or "... a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States." or "to ... establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity" or even "... the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
  • Frank 2012/07/24 21:59:13
    Frank
    I understand where you are coming from. But, you're young and appear kindhearted and caring.. Not everyoe is that way........... It once befuddled the citizens of Germany, Mexico, and many other Countries throughtout history, the same way it befuddles you, then they became unbefuddled when millions were slaughtered by the Government military right after they unarmed everyone............
  • Samantha Frank 2012/07/25 12:26:10
    Samantha
    I'm not "befuddled" at all; I understand history. The threat to German citizens was far right fascism; the same was true for Italy. In the United States, today, our greatest threat comes from right wing extremists.
  • Frank Samantha 2012/07/25 16:52:46
    Frank
    Just curious why do you think that????
  • Samantha Frank 2012/07/25 17:00:33 (edited)
    Samantha
    http://www.splcenter.org/get-...

Right wing militias aren't "patriots." They're violent extremists. They falsely believe they can wage war against the U.S. government. However, you'll see the hypocrisy of their argument if you examine conservative reactions to past leftist groups who were anti-government.

These right wing groups have something in common with fundamentalist Muslim extremists. In both groups, there's intense hatred of the U.S. government.
  • Frank Samantha 2012/07/25 19:30:36
    Frank
    Thanks for explanation, although I didn't know there were right wing militias in this Country. Where are they headquartered??????
  • Samantha Frank 2012/07/25 19:57:40
    Samantha
    In many states! They probably don't have a "headquarters" since they don't fit the constitutional requirement of "a well regulated militia..."
  • Frank Samantha 2012/07/25 20:08:34
    Frank
    Samantha you have beenn msinformed about the militias.....
  • DuncanO... Samantha 2012/07/28 14:33:15
    DuncanONeil
    Just what does "well regulated militia" mean to you?
  • DuncanO... Samantha 2012/07/28 14:32:38
    DuncanONeil
    "Legal and historical meanings of militia include:

Defense activity or service, to protect a community, its territory, property, and laws.[3]
    The entire able-bodied population of a community, town, county, or state, available to be called to arms.
    A subset of these who may be legally penalized for failing to respond to a call-up.
    A subset of these who actually respond to a call-up, regardless of legal obligation.
    A private, non-government force, not necessarily directly supported or sanctioned by its government.
    An official reserve army, composed of citizen soldiers. Called by various names in different countries such as; the Army Reserve, National Guard, or state defense forces."
    mi·li·tia   [mi-lish-uh] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies.
    2.
    a body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers.
    3.
    all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.
    4.
    a body of citizens organized in a paramilitary group and typically regarding themselves as defenders of individual rights against the presumed interference of the federal government.
  • DuncanO... Samantha 2012/07/28 14:30:19
    DuncanONeil
    Then why are all the ones running rampant killing people left leaning?
  • Michaelene 2012/07/23 18:28:44
    Michaelene
    +1
    The more I read about the details, I still can't understand. There sure should be some red flags raised. It makes no sense.
  • DuncanO... Michaelene 2012/07/28 14:35:04
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    Really? Just how? I currently work to purchase two boxes of ammo per month. Though I recently found a deal for a box of 600. At the range I can go through 2 boxes to about 20 minutes.
  • Michaelene DuncanO... 2012/07/29 12:55:50
    Michaelene
    Unique circumstances such as his body gear, he never attempted to flee or fight; his choice of ammo, why need steel tips with civilians; he had thousands of rounds for thousands of casualties, brought a bomb with him for more murder, and booby trapped his apt., set up for cops or more likely his neighbors in the building ( a half mile?). I'm still SMH!
    I pray that town gets peace and justice.
  • DuncanO... Michaelene 2012/07/29 14:37:35
    DuncanONeil
    "Unique circumstances such as his body gear,"
    ..Have not yet heard if the gear was actually ballistic protection or merely tactical gear.

"he never attempted to flee or fight;"
    ..I suspect that the gear was a disguise to hide among the cops when they showed up.

"his choice of ammo, why need steel tips with civilians;"
    ..I am a bit overloaded with this story. Have not heard a report about the specifics of the ammo. Since I started this post I did a bit of research. He, apparently, did not have "steel tip" ammo. There is confusion if he used soft or Full Metal Jacket (FMJ). FMJ allows for higher muzzle velocities than bare lead without depositing significant amounts of metal in the bore. So its intent is to protect the weapon not cause greater harm to the target. In fact greater harm is caused by soft bullets. Hollow point and soft-tipped bullets are designed to expand upon impact, full metal jacket bullets are limited in their capacity to expand. This makes the bullet pierce through, in many cases leading to decreased target damage. Hollow point and soft tipped bullets are for use against soft targets only, such as animals or people, whereas full metal jacketed bullets can be indiscriminately used against soft and hard targets, delivering sub-optimal damage to both kinds of targets.

...

"he never attempted to flee or fight;"

"he had thousands of rounds for thousands of casualties,"
    ..But he did not bring all those rounds with him. That would have been a weight of 125 pounds, in ammo alone. Plus the magazines to get it into the guns.

"brought a bomb with him for more murder,"
    ..Hadn't heard that, unless you mean the distraction devices.

"and booby trapped his apt., set up for cops or more likely his neighbors in the building ( a half mile?)."
    ..This I heard something about. He set that up as a device to distract the police and have them congregate in a location other than where he was at. Nobody took his bait, loud music.
  • Michaelene DuncanO... 2012/07/29 17:46:17
    Michaelene
    So can you make anymore sense after your research? I can't find no rhyme of reason for any of it.
  • DuncanO... Michaelene 2012/07/29 18:39:00
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    No rhyme nor reason? That is the problem. How do you ferret out someone that has or is about to go off the rails?
  • Michaelene DuncanO... 2012/07/30 13:54:23
    Michaelene
    That is true, this man apparantly showed no signs of going off the rails.
    His background check went through just fine.

Just like the kook in the Giffords incident, there were probably signs that went unreported. Yet the media, incorrect again, jumped to attack the tea party and politicians saw an excuse to expand unconstitutional gun laws.

I do agree with you about being able to purchase a large amount (in some people's eyes) of ammo, 600 rounds is not enough for my families trip to the target/practice range.
  • DuncanO... Michaelene 2012/07/30 22:47:08
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    I'm a bit stingy with my money. One of the reasons *I try to buy a certain amount each month. Looking for sales. Kind of bummed when the best price is for a store that never has my caliber on the shelf!
  • Michaelene DuncanO... 2012/08/06 13:28:32
    Michaelene
    Me too, I call it frugal ;)
  • Juan O'Mara 2012/07/23 16:10:55
    Juan O'Mara
    +2
    oh i thought this was about John Holmes my bad....
  • Samantha Juan O'... 2012/07/23 16:28:36
    Samantha
    Who is John Holmes?
  • Juan O'... Samantha 2012/07/23 16:31:58
    Juan O'Mara
    he was an "extra curricular actor" in the 70's and early 80's
  • Samantha Juan O'... 2012/07/23 16:39:07
    Samantha
    I'm 20 years old; I don't know what that means.
  • Samantha Juan O'... 2012/07/23 16:39:51
    Samantha
    +2
    I did an Internet search; I'm sorry I did.
  • Juan O'... Samantha 2012/07/23 16:43:51
    Juan O'Mara
    +1
    sorry kiddo
  • Samantha Juan O'... 2012/07/23 17:01:08
    Samantha
    +2
    I'll recover.

2014/10/25 09:39:58