James Buchanan: the REAL "first gay president"?

Inquisitve Kat 2012/05/18 04:58:52
Interesting article. I agree!
Interesting article, but I disagree.
This article was crap.
I didn't bother to read any of this. Wahhh, too much effort, TL;DR!
Inspired by Newsweek's sensationalist (and rather off-base) headline regarding president Barack Obama's statements on gay marriage, historian Jim Loewen's post at History News Network offers an interesting insight into America's past, taking a close look at the life of the 15th president of the United States, James Buchanan.

For your convenience, I have pasted the part of the article explaining why Obama (aside from the fact that he is not gay) is not actually the first gay president. If you click the link, you can read the entire article, which also examines America's history of tolerance.

"There can be no doubt that James Buchanan was gay, before, during,
and after his four years in the White House. Moreover, the nation knew
it, too -- he was not far into the closet.

Today, I know no
historian who has studied the matter and thinks Buchanan was
heterosexual. Fifteen years ago, historian John Howard, author of Men Like That,
a pioneering study of queer culture in Mississippi, shared with me the
key documents, including Buchanan's May 13, 1844, letter to a Mrs.
Roosevelt. Describing his deteriorating social life after his great
love, William Rufus King, senator from Alabama, had moved to Paris to
become our ambassador to France, Buchanan wrote:

I
am now "solitary and alone," having no companion in the house with me. I
have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with
any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone; and
should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can
nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well,
and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection
."

Read More: http://hnn.us/jim_loewen/articles/146241.html

• Giantfighter 2012/05/19 08:13:40
    Giantfighter
    +1
    However Buchanan was gay!
  • Jan Haskell 2012/05/18 20:41:21
    Interesting article, but I disagree.
    Jan Haskell
    +1
    I'm not disputing the article; I just need to do a little more study. This is the first piece I've read on the subject ... interesting!
  • Inquisi... Jan Has... 2012/05/18 21:14:32
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    It is definitely interesting... I was most fascinated by the proposal that we're not necessarily more 'tolerant' these days, just because that's something I've considered before. Every era has its "freaks"...
  • Jan Has... Inquisi... 2012/05/18 21:18:45
    Jan Haskell
    +1
    I wouldn't consider him a freak either way :)
  • Inquisi... Jan Has... 2012/05/18 21:20:04
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    I phrased that poorly... I just meant that we think we're more tolerant now, but we still persecute people... we just don't necessarily persecute the same people we did in the past. :-)
  • elijahin24 2012/05/18 13:08:54
    Interesting article. I agree!
    elijahin24
    +1
    Of course Buchanan was gay. And of course President Obama is not. What a ridicuolous debate.
  • Inquisi... elijahin24 2012/05/18 21:16:19
    Inquisitve Kat
    I agree, it's a ridiculous debate... I just found this article interesting because of how it examine tolerance now and then, and the general idea of such.
    As for Newsweek's "First Gay President" headline, I'm with Loewen that it's just a sensationalist garbage headline.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/05/18 06:48:45 (edited)
    Interesting article. I agree!
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    President Buchanan was succeeded by President Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War began. President Obama likes to compare himself to President Lincoln, but Lincoln never blamed his predecessor for anything. President Obama would have said: "The Civil War is Buchanan's fault! The American People must always elect heterosexual Presidents. The "hets" keep us out of war!"
  • Inquisi... Tenness... 2012/05/18 21:18:27
    Inquisitve Kat
    I'm not sure I follow...
    I can't see Obama (or any other recent president; even the Republicans) blaming someone's sexuality on things they did or did not do during their presidency... as for him playing the blame game, I think that's a plague that affects all modern politicians.
  • Tenness... Inquisi... 2012/05/18 21:51:01
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    You liberals have no sense of humor! Do we have to put LOL next to everything? My answer was intended to be a spoof! I guess Jay Leno, David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel do not have to worry about their networks auditioning me for their jobs! I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, who said: "I tell ya, I get no repect!"
  • Inquisi... Tenness... 2012/05/19 01:21:48
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    Sorry, I can see the humour now, but you've got to admit that there are a LOT of people on this site who would have said that and have been completely serious.
  • Tenness... Inquisi... 2012/05/19 05:20:07
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    Wanda Sykes for President. We could have our first woman President who is gay, African American and would have the most entertaining news conferences! LOL !
  • caius madison 2012/05/18 06:08:57
    Interesting article. I agree!
    caius madison
    +1
    It's all right there. A d I though Clinton was first to give the gay populace rights with the military law. Ya know, don't ask don't tell.
  • Inquisi... caius m... 2012/05/18 07:55:41
    Inquisitve Kat
    I think you're right... the media, however, loves to play on these things.
  • caius m... Inquisi... 2012/05/18 08:08:30
    caius madison
    +1
    Clinton was also what I put on the SodaHead HQ question of if the magazine went too far. It was the first time I remember a president being mention in the same sentance with homosexuality. I believ I was maybe 17 or so....
  • RogerCoppock 2012/05/18 05:25:31 (edited)
    Interesting article. I agree!
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    Over the course of more than two centuries of American history, all kinds of eccentrics have lead us. Why should Americans be afraid of differences?

When will America elect its first nonhuman President?
    Grey Alien for President

2014/09/20 18:04:03