Its OFFICIAL! Watching MSM News will make you dumber than if you didnt watch at all.

Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/05/22 18:47:10

David Frum at the Daily Beast
draws attention to a study of TV news viewing habits that indicates
certain news channels make people dumber than if they hadn’t watched the
news at all.

The study by Fairleigh Dickinson
University (“the largest independent university in New Jersey”) finds a
a correlation between which news programs Americans watch, and their
ability to answer questions on public issues. It’s worth noting that nobody
does very well. Out of 1,185 respondents, on average people got the
correct answer to only 1.8 of 4 questions on international news, and 1.6
of 5 questions on domestic news.

But people who watched the “most ideological” stations — FOX News for conservatives and MSNBC for liberals — did the worst.

The study concludes that media sources have a significant
impact on the number of questions that people were able to answer
correctly. The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal,
someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04
domestic questions correctly — a figure which is significantly worse
than if they had reported watching no media at all. On the other hand,
if they listened only to NPR, they would be expected to answer 1.51
questions correctly; viewers of Sunday morning talk shows fare similarly
well. And people watching only The Daily Show with Jon Stewart could
answer about 1.42 questions correctly.

“These differences may be small, but even small differences are
important when we’re talking about millions of people,” said Cassino.
“We expect that watching the news should help people learn, but the most
popular of the national media sources – Fox, CNN, MSNBC – seem to be
the least informative.”

That was last year ... this year the study was repeated.

So this year, the authors repeated the experiment, using a wider base of respondents. And guess what?

1185
people nationwide were asked about their viewing habits and then asked 4
questions about international affairs and 5 about domestic news. On average, respondents got correct 1.8 of the international questions and 1.6 of the domestic questions. (I know, I know.) People who mainly listened to NPR did somewhat better: an average of 1.92 correct on the domestic section.

People who watched no news at all averaged 1.22 domestic questions right. And people who watched only Fox? 1.04.

Read More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/21/f...

• Roger47 2012/05/22 19:31:40
    Roger47
    +1
    Fox viewers lowest. NPR listeners highest, at 1.97. Fox is the network of choice for the willingly misled.
  • MichaelJ 2012/05/22 19:25:39
    MichaelJ
    +1
    Intresting. I watch Fox news along with other media. I would say that Fox covers the news as well or better than any other serious news channel. It was interesting that they didn't give any examples of the questions asked. I'm thinking the domestic questions were related to the Kardasians and the international questions were mostly related to some other drivel. Studies like this have no value if you can't see what it is based on and how the test itself was designed.

So, the accuracy of this study? I have no idea. This story? Apparently either poor or biased reporting.
  • Joe Shw... MichaelJ 2012/05/22 20:00:30
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    I've looked for the actual test questions but ... as stated above;
    "asked 4 questions about international affairs and 5 about domestic news"

Which leads me to believe these were not reality TV questions otherwise the American viewing audience would have scored better.
    Watching FOX News is not informative in any shape or form. Its op-ed POSING as news which is why so many CON's pound the table as stating fact because they saw it on the TV. Their is an inability there to decipher the difference between fact base news and op-ed news.
  • MichaelJ Joe Shw... 2012/05/23 02:18:41 (edited)
    MichaelJ
    Your right, there is some confusion. People watch Hannity, O'Rielly and others with the news portion of Fox. Those programs, openly conservative are indeed very critical of the President and if you are honest about his record there is a lot to criticize from the conservative point of view.

Fox news, like others decide what they deem to be relevant. That’s why we should all get our information from many different sources. Compare that with what you see and experience in your own life and decide what you believe in. I’m a conservative and have no doubt Americans will make a wise choice in what to believe.

I would suggest that people give the actual fox news a try. If you feel it’s slanted and go watch something else. The main thing is get varied viewpoints and have an informed opinion, not one that has been formed for us, be it Hannity or Rachel Maddow.
  • Joe Shw... MichaelJ 2012/05/23 03:15:45
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    I would almost agree with you except for this point:
    " The main thing is get varied viewpoints and have an informed opinion..."

I find this sentiment to be the main talking point by Fox News watchers where they state that Fox "tells both sides of the story". This is incorrect. First because Fox does not tell both sides of the story ...they are openly "CONservative". Secondly AND MORE IMPORTANT ... the news, the actual facts have no sides.

Walter Cronkite was famous for saying and thats the way it was when signing off. No spin, no opinion, no "both sides" of the story ... just the facts. A true reporting of the event, period. Americans are void or confused as to what the news is suppose to do. Another gift of Ronald Reagans that keeps on giving.
  • MichaelJ Joe Shw... 2012/05/23 03:28:17
    MichaelJ
    Well I suppose you can criticise the idea of getting your information from different sources? If you have watched fox news, determined that it is biased, don't watch it.
    Many, myself included don't find it any more biased as any other network, with the exception of MSNBC which I had to stop watching as it would make a buzzard puke. Of course if someone considers that great news, feel free.

In any case, whatever.
  • Joe Shw... MichaelJ 2012/05/23 12:42:11
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +1
    no I didnt criticize getting the news from different sources. I criticized the myth that gets repeated that there are "both sides" of the news. Americans in general have completely forgotten, or never knew, what the news is suppose to do ... report the facts.

2014/08/29 06:35:13