It's Been One Month Since the Newtown Massacre: What Should Change?

AdriHead 2013/01/14 22:46:46
It's been exactly one month since the shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which left 20 children and seven adults dead. And understandably so, those who were directly impacted are still looking for some sort of closure.

President Obama has already stated that he will unveil a handful of proposals on gun laws later on this week -- but many still think that gun control isn't the real answer here. Some cite a change in mental health legislation while others think that the entertainment industry should be less inclined to showcase violence in its work.

But no matter your thoughts on the root of the problem, what Newtown and countless other recent shootings in the U.S. have proven, is that there is indeed a problem. What do you think should change?

CNN.COM reports:
Many questions remain 31 days after a school massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, shocked the nation.
questions remain 31 days school massacre newtown connecticut shocked nation

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/us/connecticut-newto...

• democoach 2013/01/20 23:01:30
    Gun policy
    democoach
    liberals should open their eyes and see what there gun free policies are causing
  • marty 2013/01/19 17:09:06
  • Tina 2013/01/19 01:55:35
    Other
    Tina
    Mental health mainly, but also gun policy
  • Wayne 2013/01/17 18:26:05
    Gun policy
    Wayne
    +2
    There's no need for assault rifles. It won't entirely fix the problem but it's a start.
  • Isabel ... Wayne 2013/01/17 20:48:31
    Isabel Perez
    thank you I agree!
  • democoach Wayne 2013/01/20 23:03:37
    democoach
    what will it fix? sure it will stop law abiding citizens from defending them selves against criminals and tyrannical government. but what will the law do for criminals who stop at nothing to get the weapon? NOTHING they will still have them! its not a start and it will get society no where!
  • Wayne democoach 2013/02/10 16:56:50
    Wayne
    I agree that criminals might be able to still get assault rifles through black markets, but making regulations stricter and imposing more policies might make it harder to get them. Also, you don't need assault rifles to defend yourself unless your fighting off an army. I didn't say anything about not owning handguns though. Anything is better than continuing on the way we are now.
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2013/01/17 17:56:59
    Other
    The Bantam Seditioner
    +1
    Best thing you can possibly do is, if you're able, take your kids out of this abysmal failure called the public school system.
  • democoach The Ban... 2013/01/20 23:04:00
    democoach
    +1
    home school or private schools are much better
  • MWD#1 2013/01/17 17:20:35
    Mental health legislation
    MWD#1
    +1
    Start putting nuts back in the nuthouse instead of in the White House
  • Tasine 2013/01/17 16:15:11
    Other
    Tasine
    +1
    Eliminate public schools. ASAP
  • mrdog 2013/01/17 15:53:06
    Other
    mrdog
    All the uproar will pass....nothing will be done...mental health is the issue...not guns...or other media hype....bark
  • bluelady 2013/01/17 15:20:54
    School safety policy
    bluelady
    guards
  • democoach bluelady 2013/01/20 23:04:38
    democoach
    dude i can give you events where guards went on shooting rampages too. not the solution
  • Rebel [SHP] 2013/01/17 15:20:36
    Mental health legislation
    Rebel [SHP]
    Lets actually address the problem. I know we've spent an entire month pussy footing around....but I think it's time.
  • Rey 2013/01/17 15:06:15
    Other
    Rey
    Seriously, you want to divide people up on which one of these is important.

Mental Health legislation is clearly VERY important, Since President Reagan essentially closed down long term government supported mental health for the totally insane in this country, it has gotten worse and worse. That decision should be reversed. If someone is found to be clinically insane they should be institutionalized until they are better OR if they cannot get better -- that isn't their fault and we shouldn't punish them for it -- if they cannot get better then we the people should in fact and in deed foot the bill to keep them for their natural lives.

Gun policy also does in fact need to be reviewed. Why are there no criminal background checks nationally enforced? In many, many places a convicted felon, even a person who is a violent sex offender can walk into a gun show or even shop and buy a semi-automatic or automatic weapon without a check. Really? How many of you REALLY believe that's appropriate???? Not what does some whack job like Limbaugh say, do YOU, the you with children and family, REALLY think that's ok??? Really??? How many of you that hunt REALLY think that a rifle with a full auto setting and a 30 or 50 bullet drum is needed or even appropriate for hunting? REALLY?...

Gun policy also does in fact need to be reviewed. Why are there no criminal background checks nationally enforced? In many, many places a convicted felon, even a person who is a violent sex offender can walk into a gun show or even shop and buy a semi-automatic or automatic weapon without a check. Really? How many of you REALLY believe that's appropriate???? Not what does some whack job like Limbaugh say, do YOU, the you with children and family, REALLY think that's ok??? Really??? How many of you that hunt REALLY think that a rifle with a full auto setting and a 30 or 50 bullet drum is needed or even appropriate for hunting? REALLY??? Again, not what did someone TELL you, what do you REALLY believe? What about a street sweeper? Do you think that is an appropriate weapon for hunting? Or for anything except killing a large number of people in a small area? Should we have guns available to the people? Absolutely, we have an older rifle and are planning on buying a deer rifle soon and we support the second amendment, but the second amendment does not say anything about high powered murder weapons that kill 30,000 or whatever it is people a year, nor does it say anything about unrestricted access for the insane and the criminal or about a lot of other things that some would like to assert it does.

And yes, school safety policies should be examined and updated to deal with what is happening in the real world. I have small children, I want to see them safe.

Now, to a failed point from the other side (which is normally my own side). To those who say "there's no need for guns to hunt with now because we don't hunt to put meat on the table." SHAME on you for marginalizing over 10% of the American people. From a different perspective you are doing the exact same thing to a group of America's most vulnerable people (Rural poor) that the Right does to a different group (Urban poor).

Set aside the fact that my father hunted. He did it for sport although he believed that not using all of the meat and skin of the deer was a terrible waste that was deplorable, so we did eat it - but honestly we didn't need to. I can however look beyond myself. My family now as an adult is lucky enough that we are both well educated with solid jobs and a large income which we live FAR within the means of (we owe literally no appreciable debt at all). Not all families are.

We moved out of the city, beyond the burbs and bought a large home in a rural area. I can tell you right now, there are significant numbers of people where we live that would NOT have meat without hunting. Furthermore, a friend I've known for many years from another rural area hunts regularly, and his family and children would not have meat either. They live in the most primitive conditions in many ways, but they have running water and he works "full time" on a local farm and they grow a great deal of their own food and he hunts for their meat.

There is NOTHING wrong with him and NOTHING wrong with his way or life or the way of life of many of the people where we live either.

Don't fall into the trap of tacit prejudice that the Right wallows in - and be reasonable. There is no logical reason people can't have guns. The president's suggestions are reasonable for both sides if people were willing to actually look.
  • J Brian 2013/01/17 14:34:33
    Mental health legislation
    J Brian
    Liberals are using what many actually believe is a hoax to perpetrate their population control agenda. This is about infringing on American Citizens rights and nothing more. Anyone who supports this is simply on the Liberal payroll.
  • Rey J Brian 2013/01/17 15:42:35 (edited)
    Rey
    Many actually also believe we never set foot on the moon. In both cases they are wrong -- and the conspiracy theory on the extreme about the school shooting being a government set up is more ludicrous than I think you can possibly understand from inside it. I say this for two reasons: 1. People inside structured thought bubbles rarely understand how those outside their particular bubble view them, or how out of reality their views are regarded -- good examples would be -- Scientologists, Chinese Communist Party members (remember that they literally ran a multipage celebration in state media over an article in THE ONION that said that the ruler of North Korea was the sexiest man alive -- THE ONION -- they are that out of touch), and the political hard Right this past election. Unfortunately, another group has emerged, those that believe that somehow the government conspired to kill these innocent children (or that they aren't really dead). 2. A friend of many years is a biology teacher in a middle school that borders Newtown and she is absolutely beside herself. Hate to tell you J Brian, but it is real and those who deny are, well - honestly - kinda crazy. The response can be discussed - the event - if you haven't ever gone to a child's funeral, then I hope you never have to -- I have -- and its never "just a show.") the event, sadly, cannot be.
  • democoach Rey 2013/01/20 23:06:45
    democoach
    is it? its a fact obama, wanted gun control, just needed, as jack sparrow said so well: "the opportune moment".

obama has done that several times, waiting for opportune moments to spread his fascism.
  • Rey democoach 2013/01/24 18:04:02
    Rey
    Excuse me -- even if what you said was true - which as far as I can tell it is not and which you present no objective support for -- but even if it were true that this happened and he is now forwarding a policy that he "wanted" -- that isn't fascism.

Most scholars agree that a "fascist regime" is foremost an authoritarian form of government, although not all authoritarian regimes are fascist. The model is 1920s and 30s Italy, where Corporatism blended with conservatism to create a hybrid under Mussolini.

Generally scholars agree that when considered as a modern movement there are both left and right influences on fascism and that regardless of that, fascism, once in power, has historically attacked communism, mainstream conservatism and mainstream liberalism, attracting support primarily or even solely from the "far right" or "extreme right and not from any mainstream group at all -- this has been true repeatedly in country after country (see Laqueuer, 1996 p. 223; Eatwell, 1996, p. 39; Griffin, 1991, 2000, pp. 185-201; Weber, [1964] 1982, p. 8; Payne (1995), Fritzsche (1990), Laclau (1977), and Reich (1970). [Eatwell, Roger. 1996. Fascism: A History. New York: Allen Lane; Fritzsche, Peter. 1990. Rehearsals for Fascism: Populism and Political Mobilization in Weimar Germa...&

Generally scholars agree that when considered as a modern movement there are both left and right influences on fascism and that regardless of that, fascism, once in power, has historically attacked communism, mainstream conservatism and mainstream liberalism, attracting support primarily or even solely from the "far right" or "extreme right and not from any mainstream group at all -- this has been true repeatedly in country after country (see Laqueuer, 1996 p. 223; Eatwell, 1996, p. 39; Griffin, 1991, 2000, pp. 185-201; Weber, [1964] 1982, p. 8; Payne (1995), Fritzsche (1990), Laclau (1977), and Reich (1970). [Eatwell, Roger. 1996. Fascism: A History. New York: Allen Lane; Fritzsche, Peter. 1990. Rehearsals for Fascism: Populism and Political Mobilization in Weimar Germany. New York: Oxford University Press; Griffin, Roger. 1991. The Nature of Fascism. New York: St. Martin’s Press.; Laclau, Ernesto. 1977. Politics and Ideology in Marxist Theory: Capitalism, Fascism, Populism. London: NLB/Atlantic Highlands Humanities Press; Laqueur, Walter. 1966. Fascism: Past, Present, Future, New York: Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996; Payne, Stanley G. 1995. A History of Fascism, 1914-45. Madison, Wisc.: University of Wisconsin Press ISBN 0-299-14874-2; Reich, Wilhelm. 1970. The Mass Psychology of Fascism. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux; Weber, Eugen. [1964] 1982. Varieties of Fascism: Doctrines of Revolution in the Twentieth Century, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company.] ). Unless you know something about President Obama that I don't - such as a devotion to hidden Right Wing doctrines -- then I think the possibility of anything resembling fascism from him to be vanishingly small.

Further, the man is not an authoritarian to start with and he certainly is not a Leftist (the other canard used against him) As a person on the Left let me assure you that I am under no delusions. President Obama is a centrist liberal. Yes he is left of center, no question - but he is NOT on the Left, even the American Left. He is center-Left or at most Left-center.

Failing to recognize that won't change it. Oh, and yes, language matters -- if you meant something other than what you said - then be clear about what you are proposing please.

Regards.
  • beanpole 2013/01/17 10:10:48
    School safety policy
    beanpole
    +1
    We were warned when prayer was taken out of schools, that guns would eventually take their place. We the people had no say so then and we have no say so now. But I say they should, at least, give the returning patriots from the war, a chance to guard the schools in their community. I'm sure they would be glad to volunteer.
  • democoach beanpole 2013/01/20 23:07:35
    democoach
    and you rnot at all worried about PTS???? one psyco vet and more kids could die
  • abubincrazy 2013/01/17 06:15:19
    Other
    abubincrazy
    +1
    Obama should be impeached for his crimes in Fast and Furious and at Benghazi.
  • vern payne 2013/01/17 05:15:03
    School safety policy
    vern payne
    I belive that if there the school had some typt of metal detector or something to detect, that a person entering the school had a gun, and was stoped at the school house stepts by security or a police man. Sandy would never had happen. We have to do something to protect the children.
  • Rey vern payne 2013/01/17 15:45:10
    Rey
    Sandy? Sandy was a weather event, Newtown was a massacre. The person who killed the children did not enter the school through a door. He shot his way into the classroom through the window I understand. Perhaps I understand wrong, but if he did so, then such measures would have been futile.
  • Martyr4... Rey 2013/01/17 22:35:19
    Martyr4Christ
    He isn't referring to the Hurricane...the name of the school is Sandy Hook Elementary.
  • Rey Martyr4... 2013/01/24 18:04:56
    Rey
    Thank you - at the time I had only heard Newtown. I have occasionally heard Sandy Hook on local media now, but only because I'm continuing to follow that story as it becomes clearer.
  • hatter 2013/01/17 04:39:53
    Other
    hatter
    I would say the latter three. But leaning towards Hollywood and games. They desentities our kids to killing.
  • Rey hatter 2013/01/17 15:45:47
    Rey
    The young man was insane, had been for years - but his mother could not get him placed in appropriate care. Games had utterly nothing to do with it.
  • hatter Rey 2013/01/18 06:45:52
    hatter
    I love games. Left 4 dead, modern warfare, batman arkham asylum. Those games are awesome. But all you do in them is kill people. It hurts me to criticize them
  • Rey hatter 2013/01/24 18:07:00
    Rey
    I must admit, I have not played any of them. I play fantasy games, both tabletop and computer though. I kill evil monsters in WoW -- but I suppose that there is a difference between killing a cartoon depiction of evil and killing a cartoon human. I still question the link however, except for those who are insane and SHOULD be cared for by the government.

Thank you for your response.

Kind thoughts.
  • nickthestick 2013/01/17 04:33:42
    School safety policy
    nickthestick
    this is why there should be armed guards at every school, maybe is schools actually had some sort of defense, guards could have shot this madman dead as soon as he got into the school
  • Rey nickthe... 2013/01/17 15:46:13
    Rey
    You do realize that Newtown had a security officer in place right? He was powerless to do anything.
  • William 2013/01/17 01:27:16
    School safety policy
    William
    +3
    Gun-free zones are fine, if people have the option of being there or not. Forcing kids into an environment where law breakers know the law abiding will be disarmed is a recipe for death and mayhem.
  • TheBadOne 2013/01/17 00:51:00
    Mental health legislation
    TheBadOne
    +1
    Don't take away the guns, don't turn schools into prisons, and don't blame Hollywood for the fact that people raise kids that are better than everyone else. I think counseling is in order for everyone. Including the parents who raised these monsters.
  • Rey TheBadOne 2013/01/17 15:48:04
    Rey
    +1
    The young man was an adult technically. He was known to be insane. You are right, Video games had nothing to do with it. You are wrong that access to fully automatic weapons did not though. I agree don't take away the guns, but I also say -- go back to allowing institutionalization of the insane for the long haul. The shooter's mother could not get him into an institution. The whole thing is horrifying.
  • Martyr4Christ 2013/01/17 00:48:51
    Other
    Martyr4Christ
    +3
    The media should be forced to take a lie detector test and sign sworn affidavits before reporting. This stories surrounding this tragic and unnecessary homicide reminds me of another:
    media
  • aussie1 2013/01/16 22:02:36
    Gun policy
    aussie1
    Once again on this issue look at the non USA vote and it is clear what the rest of us think. IT'S THE GUNS STUPID. Virtually all countries media and public comment concentrate on your idiotic refusal to address the gun issue every time there is a massacre like this, which is often. Will you ever learn?
  • Isabel ... aussie1 2013/01/17 00:37:27
    Isabel Perez
    Thanks Aussie, I know it I hard not to Los ones temper! I'm so tired of the way they guy fight and gang up on liberals! I don't even know what to think to know my own country man value owning a semi-auto over trying to say kids lives!
  • Aleksandr aussie1 2013/01/17 06:01:11

2014/07/23 13:36:29