It use to be that all businesses were closed on Sundays. Do you think we should still be doing that?

TJ 2009/05/20 14:38:55
No... it's just another day!
Yes...It's one of the commandments.
The term "Sabbath" derives from the Hebrew shabbat (שבת), "to cease", which was first used in the Biblical account of the seventh day of Creation (Genesis 2:2-3). Observation and remembrance of Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments (the fourth in the original Jewish, the Eastern Orthodox, and most Protestant traditions, the third in Roman Catholic and Lutheran traditions). Most people who observe Biblical Sabbath regard it as having been instituted as a "perpetual covenant [for] the people of Israel" (Exodus 31:13-17), a sign in respect for the day during which God rested after having completed the Creation in six days (Exodus 20:8-11); Isaiah extends the term to include even corrupted rest-day traditions (Isaiah 1:13). Sabbath desecration was originally officially punishable by death (Exodus 31:15

• Pele Emerging 2009/05/21 01:51:59
    No... it's just another day!
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    What day should you close? Sunday, when most, but not Christians celebrate the Sabbath Saturday, when Adventists celebrate? Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday when Jewish people celebrate? Then, what about nontraditional religions, like pagans? Do we close everything down on every solstice or equinox, to say nothing of some of their other days?

Let businesses stay open or closed according to the dictates of the conscience of those who run it. I would hope, however, that a good business would respect the beliefs of their workers, and allow then to be off of work on their particular worship days.

• Pele Emerging 2009/05/21 01:51:59
    No... it's just another day!
    Pele Emerging
    +2

• TJ Pele Em... 2009/05/21 03:03:32
    TJ
    +1
    I like the idea of letting workers off for the day they want to rest. I wonder if staying open is better for their businesses or worse. Back when all stores were closed on Sunday didn't businesses do better? Everyone is open all the time now and look what a mess we are in. Maybe by respecting the "day of rest" we would see profits soar. After all, blessings are promised to those that are obedient.
  • Pele Em... TJ 2009/05/21 03:08:40
    Pele Emerging
    Businesses, particularly retail businesses, have been open on Sundays for decades. Even when I was a little kid, the stores were open on Sundays. This has been through good times and bad, so I don't think we can blame the current economic mess on that. Besides, stores and businesses tended to be closed on Sundays during the Great Depression, so I don't think you can draw a correlation one way or the other.
  • TJ Pele Em... 2009/05/21 03:15:21
    TJ
    You're probably right. I have the kind of job that never stops. Airlines! They have us in the air 24 7 365 days a year. Other jobs must always stay open as well like in the medical field, law inforcement, military, electric, water..on and on. I guess in todays world it's nearly impossible to keep this commandment.
  • Pele Em... TJ 2009/05/21 03:27:20
    Pele Emerging
    I think that a lot of employers will respect their workers' beliefs, if they know about them. Some won't, of course, but others will, particularly if a worker is wiling to work on a different, desirable day, like will work Saturdays, but prefers not to work Sundays.
  • TJ Pele Em... 2009/05/21 03:32:07 (edited)
    TJ
    Not mine...I have never even met my "boss" or seen him in person. I'm just 1 of 25,000. I work Sundays and I have had to work every major and minor holidays for 20 years. Off sometimes of corse, but worked them all none the less.
  • Pele Em... TJ 2009/05/21 03:44:14
    Pele Emerging
    That's the problem, I think, when you don't have a boss to whom you can talk. You just become one of the herd.
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2009/05/20 15:59:51 (edited)
    No... it's just another day!
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    I think having things closed on Sunday is ridiculous! What about people who's only free time is on the weekend?
  • TJ fairief... 2009/05/20 16:10:12 (edited)
    TJ
    Good point...There are a lot of things to do that don't cost money. We lived in some great places growing up and never ran out of free entertainment. cost money lived places growing ran free entertainment cost money lived places growing ran free entertainment cost money lived places growing ran free entertainment cost money lived places growing ran free entertainment
  • fairief... TJ 2009/05/22 02:21:43
    I miss living near the beach :(
  • TJ fairief... 2009/05/22 13:29:15
    TJ
    +1
    When I was going to school in California we could see the beach from our classroom. I loved it as a kid. When I got older I lived on the beach in Puerto Rico, and got sick of all the sand in EVERYTHING! But living near one would be nice again.
  • Brions ... fairief... 2009/08/23 20:05:08
    Brions Harris
    +1
    Aren’t you forgetting Saturday? Shop on Saturday be with your family on Sunday. It worked in the 50’ and 60’. Unfortunately is probably won’t work today due mass of convenient stores and WalMart every two miles. Thank God there is only one WalMart in my area out of a population of about 200000. The only thing about having one WalMart here is that it breeds crime. In the last four years, there have been three murders in the parking lot, one carjacking, two in store robberies, and a uncounted number of shoplifting each day. Closing on Sunday would also cause people to lose their jobs, but WalMart has already reduced its work force and are not hiring only accepting transfers from other stores. In the WalMart here only see one or two employees to cover several departments. The employees appear to be very stressed out. I did have one employee tell be that they would be fired if they didn’t keep up with the work load.
  • fairief... Brions ... 2009/08/24 00:56:38
    Saturday is only one day though, that would mean having to do all the running around that you don't get done during the week in one day.
    It's not the 50's and 60's any more, times have changed a lot.
    WalMart is evil...
  • the imposter 2009/05/20 15:36:30
    No... it's just another day!
    the imposter
    how will i buy alcohol and porno and disposable enemas?
  • TJ the imp... 2009/05/20 15:39:15
    TJ
    Ha ha ha...everyone's a comedian. Thanks for the laugh! ha ha ha everyones comedian laugh
  • the imp... TJ 2009/05/20 15:43:10
    the imposter
    :)
  • ctuagentdown 2009/05/20 15:32:45
    ctuagentdown
    where would the people go then after church?
  • TJ ctuagen... 2009/05/20 15:42:27
    TJ
    +1
    Do you meen for dinner? We always had our big family meal together at home. usually a big roast, mashed potatoes and all the sides....Loved that time as a kid with my family! family meal home roast mashed potatoes sides loved kid family
  • ALofRI 2009/05/20 14:50:45
    No... it's just another day!
    ALofRI
    When I was in Spain I found that all businesses closed at noon and didn't open until two. Restaurants didn't open at all until 8PM. The amount of business lost due to the time spent closed is probably a huge part of their economic problems. No, the choice should be up to those who own the business, but time is money...24/7 is best for the economy where it's practical to stay open.
  • TJ ALofRI 2009/05/20 15:15:26
    TJ
    I understand your point...economically it doesn't make sense, but what about the commandment thing and the day of rest? My wife studied in Spain, and yes it causes $$$ problems, but they have a much better quality of life in some ways than we do. Sometimes it not all about the money.
  • Milk Maid 2009/05/20 14:46:24
    No... it's just another day!
    Milk Maid
    Just another day....and when it is my day off on a Sunday, I would like it if things were open. I live on an island and most things are closed on Sunday...it's frustrating. Now if only banks could be open I'd get so much done *_*
  • TJ Milk Maid 2009/05/20 15:17:36 (edited)
    TJ
    +1
    Bankers hours = frustration.... bankers frustration

2014/09/30 20:36:08