It is not a governments job to feed people-should food stamps be discontinued?

den 2011/04/18 00:47:04

no.. but they should be cut back and curtailed

• CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2011/04/18 01:33:05
    yes because.
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4
    This is totally out of hand. In my utopian world, if a person doesn't work, they don't eat. I think that's fair.

In today's progressive world, people not only are paid not to work, they are paid to have babies and everything in between. This entitlement mentality is completely out of control and is a major reason we are in the fiscal constraints we are today.

Food stamps should be used for a 1 year period of time. Period. Subsequent to that, you don't eat.

• Lucy 2011/04/20 03:47:16
    no because
    Lucy
    No, not if it feeds those who really need it. It is like a guilty guy going free; better than an innocent one being found guilty. So a few deadbeats get stamps. But what I would do is make them good for only protein, veggies, fruit, milk, bread, cheese and cereal.
  • DIXIEGIRL 2011/04/18 21:19:45
    yes because.
    DIXIEGIRL
    +1
    You don't work, you don't eat.....always should be what we live by......not see what the government can give us for free, especially if we keep having babies and they remain in care of the grandmother so she can get thousands of money each year instead of holding the mom responsible and make them get out and get jobs! If you can't work, don't have kids if you can't take care of them in the first place
    !
  • R. 2011/04/18 16:50:09
    yes because.
    R.
    +1
    I was told ONCE, as a young child, "you don't work ,you don't eat". It is a pretty
    simple concept that stuck with me.
  • tomas 2011/04/18 06:51:34
    undecided ,or comments
    tomas
    +1
    ALL entitlement programs need revamping. Too many cases of "strap-hangers" caught selling their food stamps for drugs and alcohol.

It is these type of bastards who ruin it for the people who really need it and what it was truly designed for. Many years ago when I was a young man and had a family I found myself needing help and got stamps. Actually cried when I got them but was damn happy to see food on the table. Only got them for one-month, and that was over 30-years ago.
  • mrdog 2011/04/18 06:20:27
    undecided ,or comments
    mrdog
    +2
    Government is not in the feeding business.but we have a lot of people in need these days ..... catch 22.. what to do? bark
  • Lucy mrdog 2011/04/20 03:49:09
    Lucy
    +1
    Well, this is where I think charities should come in. After all they claim to want to help people.
  • mrdog Lucy 2011/04/20 06:25:46
    mrdog
    +1
    Great point....that is often overlooked.... bark
  • Lucy mrdog 2011/04/20 20:27:43
    Lucy
    +1
    Thank you. I know. People tend to think oh, let the government take care of them and do not donate to food banks as much as they would if they knew that otherwise people would be hungry.
  • maggied45 2011/04/18 04:14:01 (edited)
    undecided ,or comments
    maggied45
    I think that you can't stop foodstamps because innocent children will pay the price for their parents folly, but I do think they should be restricted.

1. No FS to non-citizens, just give them a free trip back from whence they came.
    2. Make it like the WIC program where they can only buy fresh healthy food - no prepackaged food - and give them a cookbook so they learn how to cook.
    3. No using FS on non-necessity food like Soda, junk food, take out food.
    4. No FS for anyone who does not have small children, is not elderly or handicapped. Everyone else can go out and make some money like the rest of us.
  • Jackie O 2011/04/18 03:12:34
    yes because.
    Jackie O
    We give subsidies to farmers, why not give subsidies to qualified citizens to buy this food especially if they are struggling in this economy.
  • den Jackie O 2011/04/20 03:40:36
    den
    +1
    the farmers are investing big money and losing money that is a whole different subject
  • Lucy Jackie O 2011/04/20 03:50:56
    Lucy
    The farmers are our feeders; all of us. They should get whatever they need.
  • Tooshy 2011/04/18 02:34:30 (edited)
    undecided ,or comments
    Tooshy
    +2
    I think people should get them just for temporary!! Some families just use the system and get $500 worth of food stamps with my taxes and have a job! I work my butt off everyday and can't afford $500 worth of Groceries! The system really does need change.
  • SonyaN Tooshy 2011/05/28 01:52:39
    SonyaN
    +2
    I think people should get them temporary as well. I work as a Teacher's Assistant and a Noon-time Aide. I get up and go to work 5 days a week. I recieve food stamps, because working both positions for the School District does not pay enough to feed my three children. I am currently attending college to better myself. I am one class away from recieving my Associate degree in Business. I do not want to be on food stamps forever, but at this time in my life, my children and I need them and I'm very grateful for them. Don't forget I pay taxes as well.
  • Birthpangs 2011/04/18 02:21:26
    undecided ,or comments
    +1
    Seriously .. I can see some cases of TEMPORARY Need (no longer than a year max .. ) .. and yes, I do also feel for the very young servicemembers with families that do NOT Even get paid enough to be able to afford to provide for their families (and they are the ones likely to be deployed as well) ..

BUT .. I would discontinue these food stamps for those who have other forms of public aid ..

AND .. I would make sure that I would E-Verify (no Food Stamps at all for ILLEGALS, verify in person and cut off immediately if they are NOT Citizens or Legal Residents) ..

AND .. I would also cut off Food Stamps to those who come up dirty on regular/random Drug Testing for public aid as well (after all .. it is not about the food .. but what they can sell their Benefits card for in terms of Drugs to chase the next high they are doing by deliberately poisoning their bodies instead).

There's NO "Guarantees" in life .. go out and WORK .. for what one needs. TIME after time I see those with EBT Cards with HUGE overflowing Carts .. pre-packaged/pre-cooked junk loaded up .. junk food .. expensive cuts of meat/other foods .. things I can NOT Afford .. (and I actually worked hard for what I earned too).
  • Dagon 2011/04/18 01:38:34
    yes because.
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +4

• lylamerican 2011/04/18 01:32:40
    no because
    lylamerican
    +3
    I think only food that can be prepared should be used..milk and juice and veggiies..No garbage or processed food.I bet people would get jobs just to eat junk Papa murphys accept food stamps,,dang they eat better than me
  • den lylamer... 2011/04/20 03:42:35
    den
    +1
    a high percentage of food stamp peaple are too lazy to cook also
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/04/18 01:31:04 (edited)
    yes because.
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    No one should starve in a first world country.It IS the job of the government to feed people and food stamps should be more generous if anything.Taxpayers should feel good in helping the unfortunate that do not have the same opportunities as they have.
  • Dagon Prime T... 2011/04/18 01:40:36
  • Prime T... Dagon 2011/04/18 02:16:18 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Why the selfishness,do you want others to starve??????That is what is wrong with society,I have got, mine screw the rest.
  • Dagon Prime T... 2011/04/18 02:20:09 (edited)
  • Prime T... Dagon 2011/04/18 02:23:32
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    It is the land of opportunity to the same extent here.The amount of money that goes to feed the poor is very little, when it comes to taxes,and is nothing compared to the waste for other programs. .
  • Dagon Prime T... 2011/04/18 02:49:38
  • Prime T... Dagon 2011/04/18 02:52:30
    Prime Time Lime
    +2
    I agree that people should not cheat the system,though think they are more the exception and not the norm.I would say 90%+ or more are not like these people,and genuinely need food stamps to feed themselves and their family.
  • Dagon Prime T... 2011/04/18 04:41:24
  • misty Prime T... 2011/05/27 02:46:22
    misty
    +1
    I know someone who gets $500 in food stamps and 7 in cs she lives with her boyfrind who pays all the bills. she believes she has the right to not work or make any money to help her kids bc everyone else is paying her to have them.
  • den Prime T... 2011/04/20 03:42:59
    den
    wrong
  • SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX 2011/04/18 00:53:18
    no because
    SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX
    +2
    I think families and churches could and would do more to give an helping hand to many if it weren't so easy to get handouts from the government. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/04/18 00:51:05
    yes because.
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    The system along with school meals has gotten out of hand. It's become a secondary currency in some neighborhoods. Here in Texas mothers with small children can get WIC foods-which are healthy food and usually generic. I have seen people with the Lone Star card buying costly cuts of meat and name brand products when their money would go further with generics or store brands. I sometimes wonder if it is deliberate or just ignorance. A home economist a couple of years ago put together a food list based on welfare food stamps income for a family of four. There was plenty of nutritious food to last the whole month including milk, fresh fruit and veggies, meat, cereal, and more.But the key was that the people had to be willing to cook or bake sometimes rather than relying on ready made frozen food. Convenience food is expensive.
  • den TruBluT... 2011/04/18 01:14:24
    den
    +3
    we notice that a lot of people ahead of us in line at the grocery that use the food card buy expensive and ready made food
  • krayzrick 2011/04/18 00:49:08
    yes because.
    krayzrick
    +4
    Bring home the troops, and use that money to put everyone to work on the bridges and roads in this country.
  • den krayzrick 2011/04/20 03:45:08
    den
    bringing home the troops means big layoffs even though I generaly agree

2014/08/27 21:22:11