It is hard to feel sympathy.......

BrianD3 2011/07/15 12:41:49

Is it just me?

I find it hard to feel empathy towards those poor professional football players that are getting hundereds of thousands of dollars and sometimes much much more to do something that (I assume) they love.

I mean, really!!! I like looking at titties, drinking beer and playing video games......I even like sharing my opinion on Soda Head. If someone were to offer me a few hundred thousand to do something I love.........Well, that is kind of a no brainer.

It bothers me that they, as a group, walk out because they do not feel that they get enough. Tell me, just how much is enough?

• FAM of the OMC 2011/07/25 14:40:40
    FAM of the OMC
    +1
    I have made a solemn vow to NEVER watch professional football ever again. This whole walk-out nonsense has torn it with me, for good.
  • BrianD3 FAM of ... 2011/07/25 15:06:57
    BrianD3
    damn collective bargaining
  • logan-er-a-tops 2011/07/21 03:45:19
    logan-er-a-tops
    +1
    yes they are overpaid as it is and dont need anymore money than usual
  • Mark 2011/07/18 02:00:52 (edited)
    Mark
    Actually , we all should aim for jobs that we like .

The Players are in the entertainment business . It just happens to be so physically demanding (football) , that it shortens their life span by a minimum of 10 years , and usually more .

The majority , if they retire and can walk off the field under their own power , WILL be enduring some form of pain , for the rest of their lives as a minimum .

Now that we have established that ALL revenue generated in football , is by those that want to "watch them play" (directly or indirectly) , and no one else is "what is in the game" - outside of the players themselves and coaching staff ,... then why when there is this $4 billion dollars of extra money discovered from "Television profit" , SHOULDN'T the players get a portion of those profits ?

Also keep in mind , there is only 1 owner (& that is Al Davis of the Raiders) , to really be what we call an owner = the team didn't exist before him & has a leg to stand on during these talks .

The others inherated an existing team (even if it moved to a another city , and they re-named the team) , either by purchasing 51 % as a minimum , OR and , with what ever financial backing - was elected to be in a position higher than CEO , or the top Executive board member (only OWNER fits that b...

The others inherated an existing team (even if it moved to a another city , and they re-named the team) , either by purchasing 51 % as a minimum , OR and , with what ever financial backing - was elected to be in a position higher than CEO , or the top Executive board member (only OWNER fits that bill) .
    That's it ,... it's a title , NOT like in regular business , where someone takes "all the risk" and utilizes "all his or her savings" to go on some kind of venture called owning your own business .

little mark
  • MIRANDDAAA :) 2011/07/18 01:49:39 (edited)
    MIRANDDAAA :)
    +1
    I have no sympathy for them at all. In fact, I'm happy that there is a lockout.
  • RosaG 2011/07/17 23:17:04
    RosaG
    +1
    You're absolutely right. They are already overpaid.
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2011/07/17 23:15:03
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +1
    After spending 2+ years working at the new cowboys stadium in Arlington TX. My opinion of the NFL..... Its kinda like the WWF, simply big business. Although, legit as a sport, its just a big show that generates hundreds of millions of dollars... No sympathy from me ;) In my opinion, its a joke, and the laugh is on the fans!
  • BUCKY-- SKYNYRD 2011/07/17 22:24:29
    BUCKY-- SKYNYRD
    +1
    your so right
    if they get hurt early in there career, they have a college degree to use to find an other job!

the fans are the ones that are getting screwed.....
  • Steve Boston 2011/07/17 20:57:11
    Steve Boston
    +1
    Its a sad shame that fans all across the country couldn't organize a strike and leave the stadiums empty. In parallel they could stop buying any related sports apparel. It'll never happen as we are a society that worships our sports stars regardless of their personal character. They are grossly overpaid for a part time job but welcome to America.
  • Gordon 2011/07/17 20:26:49
    Gordon
    +1
    Most of them seem to be greedy and self centered. I cann ot feel sorry for greedy cry baby types.
  • BrianD3 Gordon 2011/07/18 01:21:45
    BrianD3
    +1
    neither can i
  • ☆Ed☆ 2011/07/17 19:28:24
    ☆Ed☆
    +2
    I've ALWAYS believed that these unthankful, egotistical, and OVERPAID a@@holes, NEED to be told that their "services" are NO LONGER NEEDED BY ANY PROFESSIONAL teams, and that the owners need to stand together, and IGNORE the players for 2 FULL SEASONS !!! And, IF there comes a time that their "services" MIGHT be "useful", there will NEVER be another case of "RENEGOTIATING" a contract PERIOD !!!

IMHO, professional sports, STOPPED being "PROFESSIONAL" when the players started demanding to "RENEGOTIATE" their contracts simply because they had ONE exceptional season, and the owners are just as much at fault for giving in to those demands !!!

I stopped watching PROFESSIONAL sports about 20 years ago, and have NEVER regretted it !!! I get FAR MORE ENJOYMENT by watching the COLLEGE sports, and MANY of the college players seem to be FAR MORE "PROFESSIONAL" than those that merely CLAIM to be "pros" !!!
  • reasontolive 2011/07/17 19:26:18
    reasontolive
    The players didn't walk out, the owners locked them out.
  • BrianD3 reasont... 2011/07/17 19:29:57
    BrianD3
    +1
    they got locked out because they were stupidly demanding more $$$$
  • reasont... BrianD3 2011/07/17 21:38:16
    reasontolive
    No, the owners demanded more money, as some teams were either losing money or not making money. They players' union said they would consider it if the owners would open their books, to prove their claims. The owners refused and then locked the players out.
  • BrianD3 reasont... 2011/07/18 01:22:24
    BrianD3
    the players wanted a bigger cut from TV and merchandise revanue
  • reasont... BrianD3 2011/07/18 02:45:04 (edited)
    reasontolive
    The owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement a couple years ago. It was due to expire this March. The owners' opening negotiation for a new CBA was that the owners' get $1billion off the top. A court ruled that the owners unfairly secured $4 billion in TV revenue to cover themselves in violation of binding, legal agreements to make deals that benefit both the owners and the players. That the was TV money the players were trying to get. In current negotiations, reports have the players accepting a smaller percentage of proceeds than in recent years.
  • Curmudgeon 2011/07/17 19:07:53
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    Something I would do with all professional sports is change the pat scale completely; pay each player a base salary of $500,000 dollars and increase that based on how well they do their job on the field.

If you want more, play better. Sound easy to me.
  • BrianD3 Curmudgeon 2011/07/17 19:23:54
    BrianD3
    +1
    pay for performance? An idea that America was built on
  • Curmudgeon BrianD3 2011/07/17 23:58:20
    Curmudgeon
    +1
    I agree with that, but some players get paid way too much and do almost nothing in many sports. Everyone talks about the ideals that America was made on, very few have policies that show that.

Pay these guys the lowest allowable salary, and tell them the only way they can get and keep the money they want on a annual basis they have to win, perform, and keep the fans interested. Tie in greed and people usually do a better job.
  • BrianD3 Curmudgeon 2011/07/18 01:23:11
    BrianD3
    that is what Fredrick Taylor proved
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2011/07/17 18:45:23
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +3
    They make so much they could build the stadiums and rent them back to the team. If stadiums are such a good investment either owners or players would be building them.
  • XENON23 2011/07/17 18:29:00
    XENON23
    +1
    Yes I agree with you.
  • Jim 2011/07/17 18:16:10
    Jim
    +2
    I hope the lockout last at least 1 full season if not more. No sympathy here for the players or owners. It was a game that has become a business. Not the same anymore. No accountability for players. Felons can continue to play.
  • les_gvt Jim 2011/07/17 19:06:32
    les_gvt
    +2
    if you got rid of the felons, there wouldn't be enough left for one team
  • BrianD3 les_gvt 2011/07/17 19:25:22
    BrianD3
    +1
    especially on the Cowboys and the Dolphins
  • les_gvt BrianD3 2011/07/17 19:29:11
    les_gvt
    +1
    don't go picking on Jerry like that, he got the best cell money can buy
  • BrianD3 les_gvt 2011/07/18 01:23:28
    BrianD3
    lol
  • Queen B 2011/07/17 17:37:20
    Queen B
    +3
    Millionaire owners fighting with millionaire players over how to divide more millions. Cry me a frickin' river.
  • Myscat 2011/07/17 17:04:31
    Myscat
    Too lazy to read.
  • Albedo 9.0 2011/07/17 16:39:58
    Albedo 9.0
    +2
    I agree completely. I'm so tired of the people getting paid the most to play act, play games or play music in this country then on top of it the idiots just can't be happy that they won the lottery with their careers; they want to start making cultural and social paradigm for society. The fact is if you only paid players $500 K a year you would have the exact same people playing because these idiots can't make that type of money anywhere else. Then maybe a guy could afford to bring his family to a game. I say F@ckem! MMA kicks ass anyways!
  • BrianD3 Albedo 9.0 2011/07/17 16:52:43
    BrianD3
    +4
    I could NEVER afford to see a game these days
  • Albedo 9.0 BrianD3 2011/07/17 16:56:32
    Albedo 9.0
    +2
    Yeah its ridiculous you need $100 dollars to see a game and have a few beers and a hotdog.
  • BrianD3 Albedo 9.0 2011/07/17 16:57:47
    BrianD3
    +3
    100, is that all??? Dont forget what is costs just to park these days
  • Xerxes 2011/07/17 16:28:10
    Xerxes
    +3
    here is my personal opinion of "professional" athletes, "Millionaire junkies playing a children's game
  • Sadisticon 2011/07/17 16:13:16
    Sadisticon
    +1
    Yeah; a big strapping three hundred pound muscle-dude can't get a job? I have a friend in gay pron who can help.
  • Sadisticon Sadisticon 2011/07/17 16:13:48
    Sadisticon
    +1
    Oh Isis I meant porn I 'm just typoing too fast is all...
  • Pele Emerging 2011/07/17 15:27:48
    Pele Emerging
    +3
    Oh, cry me a river! Poor abused football players. I think that this should be what they get instead of more money.
    river poor abused football players money crying towel
  • BrianD3 Pele Em... 2011/07/17 16:12:06
  • Shawna 2011/07/17 15:10:07
    Shawna
    +3
    All pro athletes are overpaid, but as long as they have an audience that values them they will continue to be. They are entertainment. Actors are paid well too. In our culture we value entertainment more than health care our education.

2014/09/19 17:54:49