Islamic Group Condemns Molotov Cocktail Attack On Mosque

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/01/02 19:33:16

NEW YORK — While members of an Islamic cultural center gathered for a Sunday evening dinner, a Molotov cocktail hurled by an unknown assailant and made from a Starbucks bottle burst and shattered against the center's main entrance. Another was thrown at the sign for the center's school.

It was one of a string of suspected arson attacks that police were investigating on Monday as possible bias crimes and trying to determine whether the incidents were linked. No arrests have been made.

Structural damage to the Imam Al-Khoei Foundation was minimal, but some members of the center were emotionally shaken, the assistant imam said. About 80 worshippers were there when the firebomb was set off at 8:44 p.m., the third in the series of suspected arson attacks in Queens on Sunday night.

"We were very surprised," assistant Imam Maan Al-Sahlani said. "This has never happened here before."

The decades-old foundation is among the foremost Muslim institutions in New York, with branches around the world, he said. Named for one of the most influential Shiite scholars, it promotes work in development, human rights and minority rights as a general consultant to the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.

The center also has a full, accredited school that resumes Tuesday after holiday break, and some parents were concerned about the attack, Al-Sahlani said. The sprawling complex has two minarets rising high with the Van Wyck Expressway as a backdrop. On Monday, the concrete overhang outside the main entrance was blackened from smoke damage and there was minor damage to the area near the sign, as yellow police tape fluttered.

But Al-Sahlani, 36, dressed in traditional clerics' robes, said the center was working with authorities and trying to move forward. Worshippers prayed and milled around, and the front doors were wide open.

"This is America," he said. "And we must continue to love one another."

Other targeted locations were more substantially damaged. No one was injured in the four attacks. Police said at least three Molotov cocktails were thrown, though some did not explode.

The first hit at 8 p.m., when a bottle was thrown at a counter at a corner store known as a bodega.

Ten minutes later, a nearby house was damaged in a fire that erupted when a possible firebomb smashed through glass; it took 65 firefighters 40 minutes to bring the blaze under control, authorities said. The home was badly damaged.

At 8:44 p.m., the Islamic center was targeted.

And at 10:14 p.m., two bottles were thrown – but did not explode – at a house police said was used for Hindu worship services.

Police said possible suspects were believed to have fled the scenes of the third and fourth attacks. They were looking at surveillance video obtained from the bodega and the attack on one of the houses.

Meanwhile, political leaders spoke out against the incidents. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said New York Police Department hate crimes unit detectives were working with precinct detectives and looking into whether there were any connections to incidents outside the city.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Council on American-Islamic Relations condemned the violence.

"The four reported attacks on Sunday night go against everything we stand for as New Yorkers and Americans," Cuomo said in a statement. "Attacks such as this have no place in our open and inclusive society."

CAIR called on police and Muslim institutions to step up security measures around mosques.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the advocacy group, said CAIR recently called on the FBI to investigate threats targeting mosques posted on an anti-Islam blog called "Bare Naked Islam."

One comment on the site read: "Throw 10 Molotov cocktails into these mosques and burn them down," according to Hooper. By Monday, the comment appeared to have been taken down by blog operator WordPress.com.

The council noted that in the past year, numerous mosques or mosque construction sites around the country have been targeted by arson, vandalism or threats.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/02/islamic-g...

• Elephant Lord 2012/02/03 05:07:05
  • you 2012/01/04 19:36:56
    you
    +1
    It sounds like they are still investigating it
  • A Founding Father 2012/01/03 09:27:11
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Well, lucky for them they weren't in Los Angeles or things could have been a lot worse.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/01/02 22:56:51
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    So now it seems that terrorism is being directed towards Muslims in NYC. I hope these terrorists are proud of themselves because they have once again dragged our country into the slime-pit of hatred & idiocy.
  • Yeahaboutthatthough 2012/01/02 22:43:54
    Yeahaboutthatthough
    Who cares.
  • #Justic... Yeahabo... 2012/01/02 22:50:06
  • Kashee #Justic... 2012/01/02 23:51:08
    Kashee
    +2
    I care too.
  • #Justic... Kashee 2012/01/02 23:56:26
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +1
    Wouldn't it be great if 1000's of SH members chimed in that they care also?
  • Kashee #Justic... 2012/01/03 00:08:32
    Kashee
    +2
    It certainly would be wonderful.
  • Elephan... Yeahabo... 2012/01/25 01:21:38
    Elephant Lord
    Me
  • Bucky 2012/01/02 22:05:46
    Bucky
    Kosovo: 150 Orthodox christian Monasteries and Churches BEF. & AFTER being DISTROYED by Albanian muslim extremists:

NO Islamic Group Condemned it!
  • Gordon 2012/01/02 21:32:24
    Gordon
    +2
    Interesting that an Islamic mosque is getting a taste of what so many Islamic nutcases are doing to other people. Are they enjoying getting what some of them dish out?
  • #Justic... Gordon 2012/01/02 22:50:56
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    So two wrongs make a right?
  • Gordon #Justic... 2012/01/03 13:51:07
    Gordon
    I did not say that, nor did I imply it. Please, go back and reread my reply.
  • #Justic... Gordon 2012/01/03 13:55:39
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    Reading between the lines, it felt like you were. That's another reason why I posed it in question form? I don't like to assume.
  • Gordon #Justic... 2012/01/03 14:22:00
    Gordon
    All of us need to be careful not to read between the lines, because not all people write that way. Thanks.
  • #Justic... Gordon 2012/01/03 14:28:19
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    Would you mind explaining your initial response since we've cleared up my query to you? Thank you.
  • Gordon #Justic... 2012/01/03 14:55:46
    Gordon
    Sure. I don't recall ever reading a concerned letter from any Islamic group about the vicious bombings and murders by Islamic militant nutcases. Now that they have had a taste of that sort of treatment, I was wondering if they were better able to understand how it felt to be on the receiving end.

Sometimes I forget that I was blessed with a very good British public school (which means private school here in the States) education, and that I use English in the more English manner. Many people back home in central Virginia understood my usage, but it seems to escape lots of Americans. That does not mean that lots of Americans are stupid, but that some language nuances seem to be not a part of American English.

Thanks for asking.
  • Kashee Gordon 2012/01/02 23:50:21
    Kashee
    +2
    There are nutcases in every religion. You can't blame a whole religion for what the nutty ones do. Innocent people are taking a real beating for this and they didn't cause it.
  • Gordon Kashee 2012/01/03 13:52:06
    Gordon
    I did not blame the entire religion. Please, go back and reread my reply.
  • Elephant Lord 2012/01/02 21:29:23
    Elephant Lord
    +3
    Hope the criminals get caught before someone dies.
  • #Justic... Elephan... 2012/01/02 22:52:15
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    So do I. Maybe the perpetrators should get the designation of terrorist since their crimes incite terror.
  • Beautiful_Syn 2012/01/02 20:46:09
    Beautiful_Syn
    +3
    Hopefully they can catch the people doing this before they hurt someone.
  • Kaimeso 2012/01/02 20:28:24
    Kaimeso
    +1
    Given the history of terror attacks it shouldn't excude some other muslim group from this incident. Still the attack seemed pretty incompetent so most likely some idiot kids will be found to be responsible.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/01/02 20:11:45
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    So now some New Yorkers are resorting to terrorism, way to legitimize it.
  • JoshuaHarper 2012/01/02 19:48:32
    JoshuaHarper
    +2
    Why am I not surprised...?
    +3
    I decry the use of violence against any group regardless of type or level of hatred, prejudice and bigotry towards that group.

But ya know, the actions around the world against Americans and the religious organizations of Christendom and organizations supporting the Jewish peoples I can well understand the feelings of those who would take action against the organizations of Islam.

Until Islam totally and completely disavows the jihad’s and violence these kind of actions are going to continue to escalate.

Eventually, people will die. Then you will see a full scale attack against religions of all types.
  • Kashee sjalan 2012/01/02 23:47:56
    Kashee
    Hmm...You might want to attend some interfaith meetings to learn more about Islam.
  • sjalan Kashee 2012/01/03 03:20:35
    I have. I find all organized religion to be corrupt and false to the original teachings of the root beliefs. I find violence of all kinds abhorent and ANY religious group or person they support to be unacceptable.
  • Kashee 2012/01/02 19:44:04
    Kashee
    +2
    Disgusting to be bashing and harassing and trying to kill Muslims. Whatever happened to religious freedom? I hope they find out who did it and that they get charged with hate crimes.
  • john 2012/01/02 19:37:26
    john
    +3
    What a shame..they must have been shocked someone was trying to hurt them....

2014/07/23 16:22:53