Is Yankees Third Baseman Alex Rodriguez a Slum Lord?

Yankees star Alex Rodriguez is known for a lot of things: dating Madonna and Kate Hudson, being fed popcorn by Cameron Diaz, signing a $275 million contract, being a 13-time All-Star selection and being the proud owner of a World Series ring.

There’s got to be something else we’re forgetting. Hmmm…

Oh yeah, allegedly A-Rod is also a slum lord. Fox News reports that some tenants at the Normandy Park Luxury Apartment and Townhouse complex that Rodriguez owns in Temple Terrace, Fla., claim that the third baseman is neglecting his investment.

The complex is one of eight properties in the Tampa Bay area that are part of A-Rod’s real estate portfolio and while the website for his company shows enticing pictures of the apartments, the real thing is reportedly not so hot.

“You got leaky faucets, leaky bathrooms, screens coming off, dog feces everywhere,” said one anonymous tenant.

Other residents have reportedly complained there’s trash along the complex’s walkways because there aren’t enough dumpsters and that the pool is full of bacteria and hasn’t been usable in three years.

The complex’s property manager has been dragged in front of the Temple Terrace Code Enforcement Board a number of times in the past year over a number of complaints, but in November the board ruled the property was in compliance with local ordinances.

Rodriguez, slated to pull down $30 million this year, had no comment on the issue.

Do you think A-Rod is a slum lord?

• Lanikai 2011/03/30 15:56:53
    +3
    If there is trash on the ground-the tenants should clean it up, Alex isn't there and didn't dump trash out there. If there is dog poop-make everyone clean up their own dog poop-NOT HIS JOB. Call maintenance and ask them to fix the other problem, but normally screens only come off if tampered with-so again, the tenant is to blame.

I wouldn't call him a slum lord, I would say he needs a better manager at that property. As much as I don't like this "whorelord" for skipping out on his family to chase hollyweird tail, calling him a slumlord is a stretch.

• prosperhappily 2011/03/30 18:07:54
    prosperhappily
    It's hard to say.

I'd really need to know just how involved A-rod is with his investment. Does he know about the conditions at the apartments and choose to ignore them? Or, did he simply write a check to an investment company & leave it all to his accountants, property managers etc?

Either way, once he became aware of the situation, he should have made some move to bring things up to snuff.
  • jay 2011/03/30 17:57:14
    jay
    +1
    Communities in Florida simply have very low standards, especially around the Tampa Bay area.
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2011/03/30 17:01:39
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +1
    From the details shown here, you can't say yes or no... It's not his job (or the property manager's) to clean up after the tenant's dogs, nor to pick up their trash off the streets. Sounds like the tenants are the ones who are neglecting their own homes. When I rented, I only called the landlord whenever there was something wrong that I could not fix myself. If I broke something I didn't go calling to have someone else fix it, I fixed it!
  • Frank 2011/03/30 16:40:12
    Frank
    +2
    There's not enough info to determine if he neglects or not so can't vote yes or no..... Sometimes tenants bring on their own misery, and sometimes owners of property do neglect. Considering you can't believe the media anymore, and the fact the Board ruled he was in compliance also means nothing since most are crooked.
    Only thing I know is Alex is overpaid.....
  • Gino™ 2011/03/30 16:17:06 (edited)
  • Lanikai 2011/03/30 15:56:53
    +3

• dhellew2 2011/03/30 14:41:52
  • Lanikai dhellew2 2011/03/30 15:58:56
    +1
    One look at the inner city, or publically provided housing complexes PROVES that.

Public parks near public housing are stripped of equipment within days of going up, and th e"federal housing" these welfare deadbeats live in, usually free, ARE slums because they never take care of anything, destroy, tear up, rip out and sell, but care for properly-NEVER.
  • Horrid Helen 2011/03/30 11:33:47
    Horrid Helen
    +2
    I'm not able to comment on his skills, or even the game - I'm a Brit and this is an unknown field to me, but I know that here in the UK, we have many overpaid sports brats - mainly footballers (soccer). They mainly come from poor backgrounds, have average education, and earn far more than they can spend, with no notion on how to look after the things they buy. Cars are disposable - even brand new Porche Panameras. Money does not equal intelligence.

buy cars disposable brand porche panameras money equal intelligence dumb
  • william keegan 2011/03/30 09:58:17
    william keegan
    If the information you provided is true, Mr. Rodriguez has some serious problems that need his attention. His failure to correct the deficiencies could become actionable.
  • Lanikai william... 2011/03/30 16:00:14
    +2
    So dog poop is somehow Alexs responsibility and not the responsibility of the dog owner? Trash on the property is his fault too? Wow, i am so glad I don't live near you.
  • Seeker ... william... 2011/03/30 17:11:12
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +2
    How about the tenants responsibility to maintain the place where they live? They are not cleaning up after their own dogs, are putting trash on the sidewalks, and can't even be bothered to maintain their own screens?

The only thing I see in the list of complaints that I can see as a real concern is the pool. But we don't know whether the pool is dirty due to lack of maintenance or whether the tenants simply keep getting it dirty. For all we know, someone's using it as a bathtub or toilet, and the property management may have closed it.
  • painted desert 2011/03/30 05:47:00
    painted desert
    Yes, he is too busy being feed popcorn to take care of busy. He is over paid,over rated, and a big time slum lord! I heard he didn't even know where the building was, much a least what's going on there.
  • KoAm 2011/03/30 04:27:57
    KoAm
    +2
    I bet he's never even been there. It's probably something that his financial planners bought for him. He probably signed on the dotted line, and that's it.

It's not as if he is PERSONALLY responsible for (or aware of) what's going there.

If I were him, I'd tell my financial advisors, "Either clean the place up, or just sell it."
  • unrelig... KoAm 2011/03/30 12:28:23
    unreligious
    When you own something you are personally responsible for it. American law has a long history of prosecuting owners and managers for such things despite their claims of ignorance of the situation. The courts have usually ruled if they did not know about it they should have and are responsible.
  • KoAm unrelig... 2011/03/30 14:11:07
    KoAm
    You're right. I stand corrected.

Actually, I'm sitting down now. So, I sit corrected.
  • Arty 2011/03/30 04:16:33
    Arty
    +1
    FIX IT PENDEJO
  • All_Hail_Hurley 2011/03/30 03:38:51
    All_Hail_Hurley
    I really don't give a damn.
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2011/03/30 03:34:05
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    mmmmmm. What was the question? I was distracted by sexiness,
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2011/03/30 03:31:36
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    If he's going to own rental property he needs to make sure it is properly maintained. I saw the pictures of the pool and I know exactly where they are. I hope he got a deal when he bought the place!
  • thomas Finch 2011/03/30 03:19:13
    thomas Finch
    What?
  • kent 2011/03/30 03:12:47 (edited)
    kent
    +1
    I somehow doubt that A Rod has been taking his dog there to wander around dropping turds all over the property and it's just as unlikely that he has been there throwing his trash around. It does sound a lot more like he has some really bad tenants who can't be bothered to do the daily cleanup everyone else does.
    Time for an eviction notice Alex
  • Jackie O 2011/03/30 03:10:57
    Jackie O
    Who cares?
  • Tigger Too 2011/03/30 03:08:40
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Hell yeah Alex Rodriguez is a slut lord. Just look at how he cheated on his wife and all of the skanks, some famous and some not-so-famous, he's been seen out and about with in his lifetime. And boy oh boy, he sure can afford to pay for wining and dining the ladies, on HIS bodacious salary. Oh... Wait a minute... You said, SLUM lord? Oops, sorry. Well, yeah, A-Rod is probably a SLUM lord, too. It figures that some rich, juiced punk like him would buy property for investment purposes, rent it out and not take care of the joint. A-Rod is an A-Hole.
  • missnamecaller 2011/03/30 02:47:06
    missnamecaller
    +1
    He should just sell it.
  • Tom 2011/03/30 02:39:20
    Tom
    again who cares. cares who cares
  • Tom 2011/03/30 02:39:16
    Tom
    again who cares. cares who cares
  • magic_is_might BN-0 2011/03/30 02:15:09
    magic_is_might BN-0
    They should move out. It's clear that A-Rod is a greedy selfish athlete.
  • belle 2011/03/30 01:54:05
    belle
    if these people were reallly smart they would move. he doesn't need their money, so he will fix nothing.
  • Edie 2011/03/30 01:14:34
    Edie
    If he is a slum lord so be it. Because his investments are in real estate that is sub standard to some does not force anyone to rent from this slum lord.
  • Theresa 2011/03/30 00:41:02
    Theresa
    +1
    Probably his accountant bought those buildings as a tax right off..but he should try and do the right thing for the tenants..its not like he is broke ...
  • JP 2011/03/30 00:35:29
    JP
    only cuz my friend likes the yankees
  • Dark Knight 2011/03/30 00:32:59
  • New Jer... Dark Kn... 2011/03/30 01:39:47
    New Jersey Mom
    +1
    I'm a Yankee fan, but I'm with Poppy on this. This is a guy who hooked up with hookers while his wife was pregnant, had sex with the repugnant Madonna knowing how many others "hit that" before him. Ditto skanky Kate Hudson and now Cameron Diaz. He had a good woman but she was too good for him and he knew it.

A man so willing to betray his children and put them second, can't be expected to maintain rental property? If his women are low-class, why wouldn't his properties be as well?
  • Dark Kn... New Jer... 2011/03/30 01:46:12
    Dark Knight
    So many people are afraid to equate one life decision of a person with the way he, or she, acted out another. I, however, say if Arod is a schmuck in his family life, doesn't it follow that he's likely a schmuck in something far less hurtful to the ones that love him? I find him to be a total @$$h*le - the anti - Derrick Jeter, if you will.

P. S. Though I love my helpless Cubbies, I do NOT dislike the Yankees, as a team, in any way. As a kid, I, in fact, was a Yankee fan - but, then again, who wasn't (?) - I mean Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, and on and on and on.
  • New Jer... Dark Kn... 2011/03/30 01:50:02
    New Jersey Mom
    +1
    He's got the money to delegate, but it is Florida and after living there, I'm here to say that there are more crooks and scammers in that state than you can shake a stick at. He really should pony up and put a first rate management company in there to at least provide tenants with an equitable rental.
  • Dark Kn... New Jer... 2011/03/30 01:51:45
    Dark Knight
    Any person with a decent bone in his, or her, body would do that very thing.
  • Lanikai New Jer... 2011/03/30 16:02:57
    But the dog crap and trash on the ground is the tenants fault. The rest is shoddy management. If this place belonged to Joe Schmucatelli, no one would say a word, other then-tell the tenants to tidy up their mess.
  • New Jer... Lanikai 2011/03/31 00:36:27
    New Jersey Mom
    Dog crap yes, but maybe not the trash. I lived in very upscale complexes in SoFla, but the management companies tried to cut corners by having the dumpsters emptied on a less frequent basis than was needed. Winds kick up and the overflow from the dumpster starts blowing around the ground.
  • Lanikai New Jer... 2011/03/31 16:12:26
    I have lived in some really nice complexes and we all took part in keeping things tidy. Yes, the rubbish bins can be too small of too few, but we generally worked together-sometimes even burning all the paper trash in the pit just to save space. One complex allowed us to rent another dumpster at our expense. But then, I was never a lazy tenant, I figured I could live in a clean space or a crappy one, and I choose clean. We also always landscaped our area if allowed, and helped keep weeds and such out between maintenance visits.
    Anyway you slice this though, the management company is responsible and I suspect they are getting paid for it and just pocketing the cash rather then doing the repairs especially because it is a famous landlord.

2014/07/28 01:41:43