Is Women-Only City in Saudi Arabia Revolutionary or Regressive?

AdriHead 2012/08/13 19:00:00
We're not sure whether to file this under "revolutionary" or "regressive." A new town will be built in Saudi Arabia that is just reserved for women... and the reason behind it is so women can be encouraged to pursue careers without breaking the country's strict Islamic laws. As of now, only 15 percent of women in the Islamic nation work.

The controversial city is expected to have companies and firms run by women, produce about 5,000 jobs in industries like pharmaceutics and food processing and lure in millions of dollars in investments. Do you think the idea behind this upcoming women-only city is revolutionary... or is it kind of regressive?

NEWS.COM.AU reports:
BUILD them a city, and they will come!
news au reports build city

Read More: http://www.news.com.au/world/saudi-arabia-plans-to...

• Melkor 2012/08/13 20:34:46 (edited)
    Regressive
    Melkor
    +18
    While people say it is revolutionary, let is think about it: a city only for women. Pretend this was only for men. Is it really revolutionary? No I say this is discrminating to men, this doesn't improve their standing relating to men. This makes women unequal to men. It Only makes the gap between each greater.

• Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/07 20:56:37
  • Omar Dahir 2012/09/02 00:51:44
    Revolutionary
    Omar Dahir
    +1
    They get jobs right?
  • JustBeingAtPeace 2012/09/02 00:02:23
    Revolutionary
    JustBeingAtPeace
    +1
    Its a start for them, just thankful to see something being done period for the women over there.
  • Obamarules2012 2012/08/31 17:41:49 (edited)
    Regressive
    Obamarules2012
    +2
    I guess for Saudi Arabia, it's revolutionary. Pretty backwards by any other standards. God, I'm glad I'm not from there.
  • Luna Wren 2012/08/25 21:12:46
    Revolutionary
    Luna Wren
    +1
    Neither nor. But I do think that giving them some sort of freedom is a good thing
  • Corey 2012/08/24 17:43:34
  • EllЕ 2012/08/23 19:30:21 (edited)
    Regressive
    EllЕ
    Women are second class citizens in Saudi Arabia, comparable to slaves or pets. )))
    So, they will get their own stable now? ;-)
    Iranian women have 90% more freedom, than women in SA - country that inslave's & sales women like pets & actually they have real slavery - today.
    Sunni Wahhabism - the most oppressive & primitive if you compare to Shia & other primitives out there... )))
  • Moejj 2012/08/23 03:03:53
    Regressive
    Moejj
    freakin' backward freaks. i
  • fightingquip 2012/08/22 04:26:53
    Regressive
    fightingquip
    Too much leisure time in that country.
  • Stiffy 2012/08/20 10:56:14
    Revolutionary
    Stiffy
    +1
    YEEESSSS!!!
    FI-NAL-LY!
    I Hope they have pools and parks and rides! Thank Allah for Privacy...
    I hope i get the chance to visit.
    oh and i hope there are sceneries!
    and for those men who say: hey, that's discrimination!
    Then SOA-RRY, BUT the women that'll be there will not be for YOUR eyes to see.
    Muslim women?
    part of the elite..
    ;P
    no seriously, it's like saying "hey, girls have their own bathroom? THAT'S DESCRIMINATION!"
    ya5y, WE DON'T WANT YOU (MEN) THERE.
    WE'D LOOOOOVE TO WEAR WHATEVER WE WANT, WITHOUT A DUDE GLARING AT US UP AND DOWN THANK YOU.
    AND IF YOU THINK IT'S SUCH A BAD PLACE, THEN SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND DON'T GO THERE.
    Because whether you like it or not, SOME girls OUT THERE and some MEN as well, LOOOOOOOVITY LOVE LOVE this idea :)
    so just go to disney land or something aight..?
    plenty of MIXED resorts or whatever in the world...
    so take your pick.
    NEXT THING THEY'LL SAY IS: "hey, there are GIRL SCHOOLS that are JUST for GIRLS?! *gassssssp* DESCRIMINATION!!!!!"
    come on, take a kit kat, take a break, 'kay?
  • Sal Del... Stiffy 2012/08/23 12:26:28
    Sal Del GIgante
    +1
    I don't thing anyone's saying it's discriminating to men, but we're saying that it's not adding any rights to the women. You'll still have to be covered because in the muslim faith it is considered a form of adultery for anyone except your husband or Direct family to see your face, that goes for other women seeing your face too.
  • Stiffy Sal Del... 2012/08/27 22:21:24
    Stiffy
    hahahaha!!! wow, you know, I'm wondering, were you TRYING to be funny? if you were you really hit the spot!
    okay, A) OF COURSE IT DOES SAUDI WOMEN SOME GOOD, GENIUS! THEY AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED TO DRIVE!? THIS, THE CITY I MEAN, IS A HUUUGE STEP FOR THE MALES OVER THERE TO SEEEEE WHAT WOMEN CAN DO! THAT IS GOOOOD.
    B) WHOOO TOLD YOU THAT IT IS "it is considered a form of adultery for anyone except your husband or Direct family to SEE your FACE, that goes for OTHER WOMEN SEEING YOUR FACE TOO." - I'm like whaa?! who THE HECK TOLD YOU, or WHAT ON EARTH WAS YOUR SOURCE?!
    Bi) it is NOT considered adultery if a woman chooses NOT to cover her FACE. You should our weddings (yes, they're not mixed, but that's beside the point); WE can wear whatever WE want AS long as MALES are not included. It's a girls-only party. Until the groom comes in and we put on our abayas, but he only comes at the end, and by then we're SOO tired of DANCING that we JUST wanna SIT down and finally help ourselves to the abundant food on the tables. walla il3atheem...."ADULTERY"? SERIOUSLY? WOW.
    SO "that goes for other women seeing your face too" is WRONG. dude, I'm at home in my Jamies... MUM walks by. Dad walks by, MY OLDER BROTHER WALKS BY. SO WHAT? NO, IT IS NOT ADULTERY. GO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. and... don't argue ...

SO "that goes for other women seeing your face too" is WRONG. dude, I'm at home in my Jamies... MUM walks by. Dad walks by, MY OLDER BROTHER WALKS BY. SO WHAT? NO, IT IS NOT ADULTERY. GO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. and... don't argue with me, aight? Cuz I'm LIVING PROOF. Just SAY-YIN.

NOT ADDING RIGHTS TO WOMEN.... PA-LEASE... you don't know, so don't judge please.

AND FOR THAT DAVE 007, yeah, you, if you're reading this: SHUT UP you wind bag. if you wanna say anymore trash please stick your head in a toilet, cause honestly, what you said, PROVES that YOU belong there.
    PEACE. :D
  • Sal Del... Stiffy 2012/08/30 13:51:15
    Sal Del GIgante
    Ok first off in no way did I disrespect you, but obviously you're a child on here trying to play adult cause you're only way of debating is insult, i'm sure that like most religions it depends on the sect of said religion how strict the rules are. Now over here I'm sure your religion isn't as strict as in Saudi Arabia. If you would take the time to learn that you're particular sect doesn't apply to all sects then you would be worth actually talking to but, alas ignorance appears to be your one and only reality.
  • Stiffy Sal Del... 2012/08/31 23:10:21
    Stiffy
    okay, perhaps I was a little harsh, but I'm not a kid. I have NEVER in my LIFE heard of a sect that BANS other women to see other women's faces. THAT I don't think ANYONE has ever HEARD of. That was what you were talking about, right?
    And i know my religion and WOULD know if this rule existed. I have never HEARD of the women-not-allowed-to-see-othe... thingy.Never. I have to be honest and say it upset me. I would really love to know who or from where you heard that because if someone is spreading lies... then the world has to know?
    i realise i have been slightly insulting in my reply, sorry about that. Really, you just sounded like one of those people who didn't know what they were talking about. You didn't even mention the "sects" in your first reply, you just GENERALIZED and said "in the muslim faith", now i just wanted to show you or tell you MORE about my religion than what you see in the News or whatever. So excuse me for getting carried away and expressing myself freely for a second.
  • Corey Stiffy 2012/08/24 17:53:52
  • Dave 007 2012/08/19 11:36:11
    Regressive
    Dave 007
    Will one Muhammed be the husbad for all?
  • Yousif Dave 007 2012/08/20 02:07:32
    Yousif
    Prophet Mohammed - Peace been upon him - is not the husband for all Dave !!! You look dosen't know about Islam and basics of Islam. If so, you wouldn't been answered this question by this silly way ...
  • Carl 2012/08/17 21:14:47
    Regressive
    Carl
    +2
    It's been done before..... on a small island west of Greece, coupla thousand years ago. Women who chose to get out of the company of men, wanted to live their own lifestyle, and celebrate their beliefs about their Rights in the universe, including having only women as partners.
    The island was named Lesbos. The resident were known as Lesbians.
  • The I 2012/08/17 18:01:47
    Revolutionary
    The I
    +1
    Women are not allowed to work in Saudia Arabia. They are dependent on the male for everything. Looks like 54% of people would expect Mars to be like Earth if they think Saudi Arabia is like most western nations.
  • ShadowGirl 2012/08/17 17:51:09
    Regressive
    ShadowGirl
    I don't know how many of you looked at the actual article link, but here is a clip:
    Saleh Al Rasheed added: ''We are now working on a second industrial city for women.

''We have plans to establish a number of women-only industries in various parts of the kingdom''.

Sounds to me like they are just trying to monetize us. If this was a one off city in the US, it would be revolutionary, however it is not.
  • Marianne 2012/08/17 17:19:40
    Regressive
    Marianne
    +1
    I am not quite sure if it is revolutionary or regressive.

Women are still considered 2nd class citizens, and there should be a change of mentality first, regarding their civil rights.

Seperate cities or ghettos will not really change mentalities, as women will still be subject to the control and the authority of males.
  • Riley 2012/08/17 17:15:10
    Regressive
    Riley
    +1
    A city without the presence of males seems somewhat delightful and refreshing(sorry guys), alot of women will be able to work and such, but why should they have to go to a whole nother city to be able to work? If Islamic males are finally seeing that women can work too I don't see why a city needs to be built.
  • MrsB 2012/08/17 17:00:35
    Regressive
    MrsB
    Wow ... in order for them to live what we would consider a "normal" life, these women have to be yanked away from their families, friends and lives just to live in a town by themselves? Will they be taken away in the middle of the night and shipped on trains? Maybe have all of their hair cut off and get a numerical tattoo on their arms?

Sounds a little like an idea from a certain 'stached coward from Germany that I've heard about ...
    hitler
  • Corey MrsB 2012/08/24 17:59:27
  • MrsB Corey 2012/08/28 23:37:24
    MrsB
    He was born in Austria. Moved to Germany and became a citizen ... hence the "from Germany" part.

By the way ... Sie müssen lernen, wie man sprechen Deutsch richtig.

And I think that I'm allowed to give my opinion ... if you're a fan of Hitler, good for you, but there's no reason to say ugly things to me in a language you obviously don't even understand. My family is German, so before you think that you can "school" someone, make sure you understand the difference between opinion and fact.

Basically, that means that I can say he's a coward and not be offended by your chopped up German that you got from Google Translate.
  • Kalechi808 2012/08/17 16:43:33
    Regressive
    Kalechi808
    That's just naturally stupid.....there's absolutely no point to it
  • Greenbay 2012/08/17 13:30:50
    Revolutionary
    Greenbay
    They need to escape the opression
  • InoYamanaka 2012/08/16 23:37:37
    Revolutionary
    InoYamanaka
    +1
    I'd be iffy if it was any other country; but that one, where women are stoned to death, yeah they need to get away from all of that.
  • EricVanSingleton 2012/08/16 20:36:32
    Regressive
    EricVanSingleton
    Didn't we try the "Separate but Equal" carrot here in our country. Then again, Wonder Woman and other Amazons seem to do just fine. Wonder Woman on Paradise Island
  • Transquesta 2012/08/16 20:30:27
    Regressive
    Transquesta
    +1
    Get back to me when this city is run by women from top to bottom, and wholly autonomous in its function, and I may change my mind/answer. Till then it's just another example of fundy Islamic men doing what fundy Islamic men do: brutalize their women.
  • donna.robinson.102 2012/08/16 20:27:03
    Regressive
    donna.robinson.102
    I, say its regressive the reason being is because the women are still being given an ultimatum, its either live by our rules or go live amongst the women with those same ideas, no husband, and let us not forget that while they will be encouraged to work,there is still the question of which percentage of their income will they be allowed to maintain? will there be individual quarters or will they be forced to share?
  • lucky 2012/08/16 14:49:15
    Regressive
    lucky
    +1
    equality isnt gained by differential treatment.
  • CJ M 2012/08/16 10:51:05
    Revolutionary
    CJ M
    +3
    What's regressive about this is the fact that this kind of thing is necessary in a country like Saudi.
  • bettyboop 2012/08/16 10:50:18
    Regressive
    bettyboop
    I guess the men cannot handle the competition so they are sending the women off to a city made just for them. I think it is silly.
  • jessica 2012/08/16 05:14:07
    Revolutionary
    jessica
    +1
    It's a good start for women to gain there freedom
  • Moon 2012/08/15 23:19:11
    Regressive
    Moon
    It's a little bit of both really. Great for the women to be able to pursue careers since men there make it so hard with their Islamic laws for a woman do anything. Regressive since they won't stop acting like women are second class citizens and let them grow and progress to their full potential.
  • lurch 2012/08/15 22:20:22
    Regressive
    lurch
    Population certainly won't grow . . . unless there philandering elsewhere. And what happens if an impregnated woman gives birth to a boy?

The need to segregate in order to obtain equality - supposedly - is sad.
  • rereblue 2012/08/15 20:59:13
    Regressive
    rereblue
    Oh wow! A whole city for just women! I feel so warm and fuzzy inside.
    Sarcastic
  • MIchele Thomas 2012/08/15 20:25:40
    Revolutionary
    MIchele Thomas
    +1
    Its revolutionary for their "restrictive" religious environment
  • Noor 2012/08/15 19:30:59
    Regressive
    Noor
    +1
    Considering this is taking place in Saudi Arabia, home of fanatic Wahabbis and Salafis, who subjugate women horrendously, it is an understandable and revolutionary goal for the women of that country.

The KSA is one of the worst countries in history of our planet for women's equality ~ largely due to the fact that it seems their men cannot control their lusts at the sight of a female, so the women are isolated and blamed by the .

Sad to see that divide and conquer methodology come to this point but it is not a simple black and white issue. Islam before the creation of these sects stressed unity and cooperation between man and woman. These modern problems are largely due to these fundamentalists slowly moving into other branches of Islam.

Were this city to be built in the west, or for a lesbian population, I would have a different opinion. Unbalanced I would think. I like men and seeing them around ... so... it would definitely be regressive to me.

2014/11/26 10:01:21