Is Thomas Sowell an example of a true intellectual?

Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/04/23 03:20:34
Every time I read Thomas Sowell I'm blown away at his intelligence, his wisdom and his ability to analyze economic, political and social issues. If only we had our universities filled with Professors like him. I'm reading a compilation of his works, much of which I've already read but it's always fantastic! Do you find him as amazing as I do?

Thomas Sowell the reader

• Red Branch 2012/04/23 03:32:23
    Red Branch
    +8
    I do.

Not is he just an intellectual, he is an American intellectual.
    By that he writes as an American, not a Black American. He writes to everybody, not just the wealthier people or the poorer people. He want everyone, and I do mean everyone, to have the best life possible.
    However, he also believes in something else for everyone. Hard work and responsibility.

He did not get where he is today by affirmative action. He got there on his own merit and hard work.

• Broken 2012/04/24 03:51:13
    Broken
    +1
    I agree. I love reading his works.
  • Candy 2012/04/24 00:13:30
    Candy
    +1
    A beautiful mind who isn't afraid to speak the truth. Compassionate, but socially conservative. That's perfection to me..
  • Gracie ... Candy 2012/04/24 00:19:52
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    He's rationally compassionate....someone who looks at the outcome instead of just the intention.
  • Always Right 2012/04/23 21:09:15
    Always Right
    +2
    I wish he was president! I try to listen and read anything from him, a true American hero.
  • Kane Fernau 2012/04/23 16:56:47
    Kane Fernau
    +2
    One of the smartest men I know
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/04/23 14:29:07
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +2
    He is a brilliant mind........... too bad he is an Uncle Tom!

• Gracie ... No nons... 2012/04/23 14:29:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I know....all the good ones are!
  • No nons... Gracie ... 2012/04/23 14:34:52
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +2
    That should tell thinking people something.
  • Always ... No nons... 2012/04/23 20:55:27
    Always Right
    +2
    Great videos. Thanks
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/04/23 13:54:43 (edited)
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2012/04/23 11:28:32 (edited)
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +3
    I do! Thomas Sowell is fantastic. I've never read his books but I do read his column and have listened to a number of interviews. The man is brilliant. I may just pick up that book.
  • Gracie ... Marlow ... 2012/04/23 14:00:30
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Marlow, I do think you'd love it. It's just very short writings and it's a great book to pick up and read when you don't have a lot of time. I've read almost all of his books and every time I learn something very different from him. He's great at analogy and making things simple and clear.
  • Marlow ... Gracie ... 2012/04/23 16:44:12
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    +1
    Thanks. You talked me into this one. :)
  • Soundstorm 2012/04/23 05:54:55 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    +4
    Thomas Sowell's Random Thoughts are like a sun break of intellectual energy.
  • Prairie Wind 2012/04/23 05:46:22
    Prairie Wind
    +5
    I'm currently picking a few chapters of his "Vision of the Anointed" before turning out the bedside lamp and find it almost like a manual for "debate warfare". The examples he provides in 'The Irrelevance of Evidence" chapter so often reflect patterns of attempted discourse expressed among SH's postings, that it really provokes a necessity of supported forethought to substantiate a position of expression. I'm thankful to have been introduced to his publications and his inititial political beliefs, as well as, why he has changed to that which he is now. Take time to digest his thoughts, you'll value him well.
  • Gracie ... Prairie... 2012/04/23 14:03:29
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    I read that, it's an older one I think. His analogy of income statistics is one I use frequently to shut people down about how our incomes are stagnant and all the wealth is going to the top. A real favorite of mine is "Black Rednecks and White Liberals"....it's a fantastic look at the race wars.
  • Prairie... Gracie ... 2012/04/24 03:29:18
    Prairie Wind
    +1
    Picking up the book this week! I have heard it's precious.
  • Andy 2012/04/23 04:42:40
    Andy
    +3
    He is good... thanks for the info about the compilation book...
  • Informed Voter 2012/04/23 04:20:14
    Informed Voter
    +5
    Agreed!

He nails the Statists everytime with their vapid "logic."

“Here again, verbal virtuosity transforms an opposing argument, rather than answering it with either logic or evidence.”
    ref: Thomas Sowell, Intellectuals and Society, (New York, NY: Basic Books, 2009), p. 52.

“Admittedly, the Democrats have an easier case to make. It takes no great amount of thought, nor much in the way of persuasive powers, to sell the idea of government handing out benefits hither and yon. It is only when you stop and think about the consequences, for this generation and generations to come, that some grim questions arise.”
    ref: Thomas Sowell, Dismantling America, (New York, NY: Basic Books, 2010), p. 83.

“There are wild cards in such data that need to be kept in mind when you hear income statistics thrown around—especially when they are thrown around by people who are trying to prove something for political purposes.

One of these wild cards is that most Americans do not stay in the same income brackets throughout their lives. Millions of people move from one bracket to another in just a few years.

What that means statistically is that comparing the top income bracket with the bottom income bracket over a period of years tells you nothing about what is happening to the actual flesh-...

Agreed!

What that means statistically is that comparing the top income bracket with the bottom income bracket over a period of years tells you nothing about what is happening to the actual flesh-and-blood human beings who are moving between brackets during those years.

That is why the IRS data, which are for people 25 years old and older, and which follow the same individuals over time, find those in the bottom 20 percent of income-tax filers almost doubling their income in a decade. That is why they are no longer in the same bracket.” (Ibid, p. 136-7)
  • Gracie ... Informe... 2012/04/23 14:05:34
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    LOL, I use his analogy of income division and statistics all the time! It's a very hard thing to dispute!

I'm enjoying The Reader because he has a lot of his columns from over the years and they're always brilliant. Too bad a true intellect isn't running the show!
  • Informe... Gracie ... 2012/04/23 16:30:17
    Informed Voter
    +1
    Yes it is, Gracie! And it's always a pleasure seeing you on the posts.
  • Gracie ... Informe... 2012/04/24 00:10:06
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Thanks, I still have you as my number one SH!
  • Informe... Gracie ... 2012/04/24 00:56:35
    Informed Voter
    +1
    Awww!!!!

blushing
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/04/23 04:17:47
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +4
    It is ironic that he and Dr Walter Williams are 2 of the most favored authors on the right and both were born poor and black. If they could rise above it, you would think they would be favored role models instead of loathed as "oreos".
  • Gracie ... FeedFwd... 2012/04/23 14:06:36
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I just read Walter E. Williams autobiography and it was very interesting. I never realized how tall he was!
  • Fire&Ice 2012/04/23 03:40:20 (edited)
    Fire&Ice
    +4
    He is one of the most feared people by the left because the man is Star Parker, Col. Allen West and MLK, all rolled into one.
  • 56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA... 2012/04/23 03:40:20
    56lady☆POTL JLA BTO-t- BCRA-F's
    +5
    yes Gracie I do!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/23 03:37:31
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    Far from it.
  • Gracie ... ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/23 14:07:34
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    What a surprise! I would love to watch him debate Obama, he'd blow him away!!!
  • Red Branch 2012/04/23 03:32:23
    Red Branch
    +8
    I do.

• Gracie ... Red Branch 2012/04/23 03:34:22
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +6
    Yes, you're absolutely right. I'm always amazed that he's able to put aside any personal preferences that he has to arrive at the truth. I often use his quote...."intellect is not wisdom".
  • Red Branch Gracie ... 2012/04/23 03:41:33
    Red Branch
    +3
    Great quote.
    I would say that he favors it as well.
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/04/23 03:29:12
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +8
    I do enjoy his writings. Thanks for the heads up on the compilation.
    +3
    True Example. What you beem listning to are Communists

2014/09/30 15:57:32