Is This The Weakest Field of Republican Presidential Candidates Ever?

ProudProgressive 2011/11/04 01:49:15
Yes I've never seen a more inept group of people
They're weak, but this election's crop was worse:  [please explain]
No this is an historic assemblage of greatness
I don't care that the question's not about Obama, I want to spew hate anyway
This one isn't about President Obama. The only question this one's about is how the 2012 field of Republican Presidential candidates compares to the Republican field in previous Presidential campaigns. Try to restrain your comments accordingly. Thanks.

Article Excerpt Follows:

In Search Of Greatness......Finding the Soul of America's Politics
Wed Nov 2, 2011 1:55 PM EDT

This nation has a long history of great people stepping up during times of its greatest need and entering our political arena. Whether it was the brilliance of our founding fathers at the birth of our great nation, or the birth of the modern Republican party in the body of Abraham Lincoln or the patrician hero of the mid twentieth century, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, this country has always managed to establish it's exceptionalism through the greatness of it's collective leadership.

- - - - -

And finally the upcoming presidential race. Most democrats are satisfied with President Obama. Many view him as great, many don't. Many republicans view him as terrible. As with most incumbent presidents, the historical fate of President Obama will be decided through the prism of history.

But the Republican candidacies are a different story. As we look at the major candidates of the republican party, we see what most Americans are considering the weakest field in a presidential primary history. Herman Cain, Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, Newt Gingrich, Michele Bachmann, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, and Jon Huntsman do not appear to have a historical giant among them. Even among the republican party, there is considerable unease about their own candidates. The running joke inside the beltway is who is republican flavor of the week since there h, ave been so many changes in who the front runner for their nomination will be.

When we look at the lack of greatness among our leadership. When we fail to see the big, bold ideas that not only lead our nation, but transform the world, our exceptionalism as a nation is in jeopardy. It is time for the American people to stop worrying about who is a democrat or who is a republican and start worrying about who truly has the big idea. What we all have to remember is that political parties evolve. Republicans become democrats, democrats become republicans, some parties disappear in a generation like the Whigs did in the 19th century. What stays in our country is greatness. We are truly in the need for candidates that are great. We, as a nation, must find the great to represent us. I, for one, am sick and tired of mediocrity.

Read More: http://docphil.newsvine.com/_news/2011/11/02/85981...

• Razoreye001 2011/11/04 02:07:58
    Razoreye001
    +6
    to quote one of the greatest movies of all time, you will never see a more retched pile of scum and villainy in the galaxy.

• The Electrician 2011/11/05 12:21:50
    The Electrician
    7 Billion people on this earth and the GOP can't find 1 viable candidate ? WTF, they really need to dissolve that party.
  • Superman 2011/11/04 16:29:10
    Superman
    I think what you have is a typical search for the direction of a party. You have a diverse set of people - both ideologically and personally - and thats going to factionalize the base of the party. I'd hardly call all of them inept at all. I'd argue that at this point the GOP just isn't sure what direction it wants to go in. And thats not new for either Party, they've both faced this from time to time. Its nothing new.

Eventually I think they'll shake out Romney to run against Obama and indicators aren't very good for the incumbent right now. A lot can change in a year but its no surprise that one party is doing its best to try and turn public opinion against the oppositions field as much as possible. Is marketing and rhetoric and typical.
  • socokid 2011/11/04 16:08:47
    socokid
    But, polls showing Obama would be re-elected if any GOP currently running is the nomination, even with under 50% approval ratings, says something IMO.

Not good... It is a sign of their deepening into depths of "out of touch" rarely seen.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2011/11/04 14:24:23
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    It is however the most epic assemblage of tea party reactionaries to ever take the stage. The tea party is really going have to go further and farther than it has ever before after Obama wins again in 2012.
  • betz 2011/11/04 12:23:13
    betz
    Actually I am not undecided....but this answer was best suited.. I will vote for whomever gets the nomination but in my heart I am hoping it is Herman Cain. Does it bother me that he has not held public office? It does not. As a matter of fact I find it rather refreshing.
  • ProudPr... betz 2011/11/04 14:53:17
    ProudProgressive
    Does it bother you that he might be a sexual predator?
    Does it bother you that he has changed his story about the alleged harassment charges half a dozen times this week?
    Does it bother you that he has repeatedly played the race card (as in "they're only attacking me because I'm black") to try to distract from the charges?
    Does it bother you that his economic "plan" came right out of Sim City?
    Does it bother you that he knows less about foreign policy than Sarah Palin?
    Does it bother you that he is an Islamophobic bigot who has openly said that he would violate the "no religious test" clause of the Constitution to ban all Muslims from government service?

You know I respect and would defend your right to vote for whomever you choose to vote for, but even taking Obama completely out of the question I just think you can do a lot better than Herman Cain. Personally, if I HAD TO vote for one of the Republicans I would probably lean towards Jon Huntsman, Gary Johnson or Buddy Roemer.
  • Maynard 2011/11/04 12:00:12
    Maynard
    To say they are weak is a simple

REFLECTION OF IGNORANCE UPON THE WRITER.

Newt was the last person in DC to BALANCE THE BUDGET, why did libs HATE for that?

Cain is GREAT in Math and has run large businesses.

Perry has been Governor of one of the most successfull States lately.

obama was a rabble rouser, then a Senator for less than two years and libs think that is great experience?
  • Boris Badinov 2011/11/04 11:38:22
    Boris Badinov
    +1
    I agree that the Republicans are goofy. The Republican leadership Is way too progressive. Genuine Conservatives need to Replace Them. These candidtates are our starting point.
  • gary 2011/11/04 10:27:44
    gary
    +1
    Mitts Romney the man. Hé'll be the next ronald Reagan,.
  • ProudPr... gary 2011/11/04 11:35:03
    ProudProgressive
    A senile war monger who sells arms to our enemies?
  • harry gary 2011/11/04 13:03:29
    harry
    Yes, just what we need. Another 30 years of Reaganomics and Voodoo Economics. So we can complete the transition from Democracy to Plutocracy. To a "One Dollar Vote from a "One Person Vote"
  • reaper 2011/11/04 09:22:27
    reaper
    i think most sane one would be huntsman only because he said the republican really shouldn't become the anti-science party as it seems to be becoming
    +1
    "Is This The Weakest Field of Republican Presidential Candidates Ever...?"

Does a Bear sit in the woods?
  • ProudPr... Lady Wh... 2011/11/04 11:35:38
  • harry 2011/11/04 06:10:22 (edited)
    harry
    +2
    Republicans have been so hung up on getting Obama out of office, they have forgotten about what the people want and the common good of our nation. The Republican candidates that are running for the 2012 Whte House ( none have a chance to beat Obama) they are just out of touch. They have the same old same old plans for fixing things. They are un willing to comprimise.
    Republicans need to forget about taking the White House back even at the cost of crashing the economy to do it. Repubs need to focus on 2016 and grooming a candidate and a platform that will tackle the issues of a 21st Century Economy and get off 20th Century thinking.
    There is a Perfect Storm Crisis brewing. The convergence of Climate Change, Financial Crisis, and Peak Oil. There needs to be a major over haul of the rules. We must have an economy that uses the wealth of the Earth to optomize the support of a healthy life for all human beings, not just the few.
  • Lady Wh... harry 2011/11/04 09:17:50
    "Republicans have been so hung up on getting Obama out of office, they have forgotten about what the people want and the common good of our nation..."

WE HAVE A WINNER!
  • Not Einstein 2011/11/04 05:41:17
    Not Einstein
    Well maybe not. Remember 2008?
  • ProudPr... Not Ein... 2011/11/04 11:37:10
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Unsuitable as John McCain was ultimately, I think he would take any of this year's crowd.
  • Not Ein... ProudPr... 2011/11/05 03:44:34
    Not Einstein
    I agree. I used to like McCain, until he started kissing the asses of those who roasted him. And then there was that HUGE faux pas of a running mate. HUGE MISTAKE, as my friend Vivian said in Pretty Woman. pretty woman
  • ken 2011/11/04 05:12:26
    ken
  • JohnFitzgeral12 2011/11/04 05:03:07
    JohnFitzgeral12
    +1
    Obama is the least experienced President in my lifetime and yours. You can't support a weak candidate like that and bitch about others who have much, much more experience.
  • ProudPr... JohnFit... 2011/11/04 11:39:13 (edited)
    ProudProgressive
    Aside from Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush there is no one on Earth who is eligible to run for President with more experience being President than Barack Obama.
  • mich52 2011/11/04 04:55:57
  • flrdsgns 2011/11/04 04:36:14
    They're weak, but this election's crop was worse: [please explain]
    flrdsgns
    Maybe Goldwater and those yo yo's Nixon in 1960 looked pretty bad.
    Cain, Perry and Bachmann are only there for comic relief, no one can actually take them seriously can they?
  • elijahin24 2011/11/04 04:10:55
    elijahin24
    +2
    It's as if they took the dumbest and most absurd SNL characters and put them on the ballot for the single most important job in the world. It's pathetic, and insulting to our country. The only ones who are worth a damn, are Huntsman and Paul, and neither of them has a snowballs chance in hell.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2011/11/04 03:24:51
    JCD aka "biz"
    +2
    I've been following US elections since 1952, and my answer is "yes".
  • Blackberry 2011/11/04 03:01:49
    Blackberry
    +5
    These people make Reagan look like a liberal. This is embarrassing and this is why Europeans call us idiots.
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 05:04:46 (edited)
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 05:08:14 (edited)
    Blackberry
    +1
    Well then, allow me to rephrase: this is why some Americans think the majority of Americans are blithering idiots.
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 05:12:18 (edited)
    JohnFitzgeral12
    So you blame voter turnout on the Republican field?

Do yourself a favor and search Youtube for European leaders. Depending on the leader, they're just as blithering and stupid.

You might want to change your political view from "apathetic" if you want to complain about voter turnout and appeal.
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 05:19:22
    Blackberry
    +1
    I don't buy into the broken system anyway, but I can still support one side over the other. One side has clearly shown themselves to be quite detrimental in ideology, more than the other side. This is why voting is deemed choosing the lesser of two evils.
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 05:24:14
    JohnFitzgeral12
    If you don't buy into a broken system then I'm really confused why you give a damn what Europe thinks about us. In the past few years all they've defined is the pathway to achieving a truly broken political system.

"One side has clearly shown themselves to be quite detrimental in ideology, more than the other side. This is why voting is deemed choosing the lesser of two evils." - The side that you like, Democrats, obviously share the mindset that European leaders share. What do you not understand about "broken" or "bankrupt" or "default"?
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 05:41:09 (edited)
    Blackberry
    Of course there is no perfect system, but when certain legislation is put in place and touted as a good thing, that's being dishonest and it's wrong. There are some fairly simply fixes that can be made, but they won't be made because everything seems to be about keeping the oligarchy and plutocracy intact, if not stronger.
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 05:49:44 (edited)
    JohnFitzgeral12
    +1
    You're being extremely vague. What legislation?

I am glad to see you've drifted from the "one party is less evil than the other" argument though, because it just isn't true. Admittedly, I'm far more likely to vote Republican than Democrat. Democrats have made a living talking about social issues which don't do a damn thing to help me, you or others get a job. Companies do prefer Republican administrations because they understand they're more business friendly.

I'm quite socially liberal, but at the same time I understand legislating social thought is pointless and probably impossible. Social changes are not subject to politics BUT business IS certainly subject to political legislation. I'll continue to vote the "lesser of two evils" just as you do, but I'll do so looking at that formula from the opposite end. I have no problem with that approach, just the idea that one party is worse than the other.
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 06:03:51
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 06:10:32 (edited)
    JohnFitzgeral12
    Neither party advocates a completely unregulated system.

I never said social matters are not important to me. I said social policy tends to take care of itself. The phrase "social justice" is a scary one. I rightfully don't trust you enough to dispense "social justice."

If you could be specific in your arguments of "more fairly" than perhaps I could reply, but I've come to realize that these phrases are purposely vague for a reason.
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 06:20:55
    Blackberry
    Yes, because the repeal of DOMA is so dangerous. Is that specific enough? It doesn't matter though, you do have a point about things taking care of themselves. This progress doesn't happen overnight, even if it is obstructed by the most ignorant, yet powerful people. But there's more to life than the market, in my opinion at least.
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 06:28:28
  • Blackberry JohnFit... 2011/11/04 06:36:27
    Blackberry
    I'll suggest some reading, instead of writing an essay for you. I recommend The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby, and Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky. I have to sleep now, but I'll be back later. :)
  • JohnFit... Blackberry 2011/11/04 06:40:24
    JohnFitzgeral12
    Ah, yes. It must be my fault for not accepting your absurdly vague declarations.

2014/08/30 06:38:33