Is this Police Brutality? Bad cop or bad kids?

Scott 2007/06/27 20:23:55
No- Plain and simple, the kids were out of line and the cop acted appropriately.
No- To an extent. The kids shouldn't have ran or tried to interfere and the cop was responding to them but acted inappropriately.
Yes- To an extent. The kids shouldn't have ran or tried to interfere but the cop was out of line.
Yes- Plain and simple case of stepping over the line. They were just kids!
"A police officer who appears to choke a skateboarder and put two others in a headlock in a video posted online has been put on administrative leave while police investigate, officials said."
News story here
I usually don't like debating these types of videos but this is an interesting one. Did the police officer step over the line? Did he act appropriately when dealing with the juveniles? How should he have responded differently?

Some things to note:
Skateboarding is illegal on the sidewalks in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

• sweetpeachie 2007/09/07 12:51:17
    No- To an extent. The kids shouldn't have ran or tried to interfere and the c...
    sweetpeachie
    +2
    Those kids should know how to behave around an officer of the law. But that is precisely what he is there for as well. To uphold the law, ALL laws, and he is supposed to be held to a higher standard. Not that the rest of us aren't supposed to held to the same standard, but he is there to PROTECT and SERVE. You don't put a young child in a chokehold for running. It's abuse, plain and simple. It's the officer's job to do no bodily harm, unless his assailant is trying to physically assault him. That's the ONLY reason he should have reacted the way he did. I'm not saying that what these kids were doing wasn't wrong, but if the skateboarding was illegal, give them a citation. Pretty simple. Don't fly off the handle because you're pissed that they're running. Assert authority in the right way, because those officers are trained and prepared for every situation.

• BY 2009/06/03 02:00:39
    BY
    Hard to really judge since we don't see what happened before the officer had the skater down.
  • realin 2009 2008/12/05 19:59:59
    Yes- To an extent. The kids shouldn't have ran or tried to interfere but the ...
    realin 2009
    cant believe this...its not like they were spraypainting or assualting an elderly person...he didnt have the right to choke or put them in head locks...he should not be allowed to police anymore...
  • Kristi 2008/06/02 16:19:29
    Kristi
    +1
    I understand kids need a firm hand but what I saw on this video made me so mad, Skateboarding may be illegal in that town but the cops were way out of line for aggressively handling those kids, the ones that ran probably were afraid of getting abused also. If that was my kid I would have flipped out and done something legally about it, that cop was way over the line and should have been terminated, it's not like the kids were accused of murder or rape
  • Ash 2008/04/10 23:30:54
    Ash
    +1
    I'll admit the kids shouldnt have ran, but if a friend of mine was being chocked, even by a cop, I would have done something. Its not like the kid threatened him with his skateboard. The head locks and chocking were just plain out of line. Its shocked me to see this. These kids were young and scared, also obviously feeling they were being treated unfairly.
  • cappsy has a barcode ~_~ 2008/03/08 18:26:10
    cappsy has a barcode ~_~
    The guy was just trying to contain the kids and it didn't look like he hurt them it's to confusing unless an eye witness
  • farquezy 2008/01/10 23:55:27
    farquezy
    fuck cops
  • twin 2007/11/20 09:16:34
    twin
    He should have just subdue them and put them in hand cups till they settle down.
  • sweetpeachie 2007/09/07 12:51:17
    sweetpeachie
    +2
  • Patrick 2007/07/23 13:30:01
    Patrick
    Do not know what the circumstances were just because they are juvies, doesn't mean they are immune form a police officer doing their duty. If they fought the law enforcement officers they were completely justified in their actions. Just because they are kids they are not imune.
  • shiela33 2007/07/14 01:03:17
  • rose of texas 2007/07/13 06:40:27
    rose of texas
    +1
    It is hard to make out one way or another. Also, how old were these kids including how big should also be raised but since I was not there I do not know. I would need more information before I could make any call on this.
  • question 2007/07/12 13:15:17
    question
    +1
    We do not know the whole story Was this something these kids did all the time did the police have problems with them before. If this was their frist time and they didn't know skateboarding was illegal the cop was out of line. he should have just question them an gave them a warning.
  • Andrew 2007/07/11 23:48:31 (edited)
    +1
    give me a break. I dont care what the hell the law is on skateboarding on a sidewalk because all it is is SKATEBOARDING ON A SIDEWALK. The cop ABSOLUTELY stepped over the line. You don't choke someone out for skateboarding ESPECIALLY if its a 13 year old kid.

Its child abuse for a kids own FATHER to choke out his son for misbehaving... so yeah, the cops actions were unacceptable
  • Marine 2007/07/01 01:26:31
    Marine
    Rules and laws are there for a reason, even if you do not agree with them.
  • highlatte 2007/06/30 20:19:58
    highlatte
    +1
    The cops are always in the wrong. They are suppose to be above acting like a human being, and the rest of us can be snotty, shitty, violent, disrespectful, dishonest. That's okay

Yeah, right.

• #1Misty 2007/06/29 19:16:59
    #1Misty
    If a person knows that they are not to use their skateboard on the sidewalks , then don't do it, looks like this cop was already having a bad day, when a cop tells you to stop, you better stop,if everyone had stopped and acted civil--including this cop--maybe the outcome would have been different--maybe these kids would have walked away with just a warning --but this cop went overboard--choking these kids? Totally uncalled for--is there a follow up to this story?
  • Matt 2007/06/29 03:15:30
    Matt
    Choking him for skate boarding? Wtf? I don't skate board but like all my friends do and the cops here actually enjoy watching them. Why again was this cop choking them?
  • Juli 2007/06/28 06:19:11 (edited)
    Juli
    +1
    I'm sure those kids were smart asses but I believe the cop overreacted and came across as being extremely angry. We don't know why he's was so angry. Was it because these kids have done this daily just to tick him off? Or, did he have a fight with his wife that morning? Do we know who was taping this? Interesting poll.
  • Canyons 2007/06/28 00:26:18
    Canyons
    I'd beat on those kids to teach them a lesson since the courts system won't do anything to kids.
  • reminder 2007/06/27 23:26:01
    reminder
    +1
    I wish this video had voices. It was illegal ot skateboard and the cop had a right to stop them. But if there was any fighing on the part of the kid before hand the cop may have had to get in a headlock. ot get control. At least he didn't beat him with a club. The others should have backed off and not gotten involved. I am more apt to side with the cop here. The kids were caught and they should have just surrendered.
  • Magzilla reminder 2007/06/29 03:11:13
    Magzilla
    It does have voices.
  • Wendy 2007/06/27 23:10:00
    Wendy
    +1
    dumb kids. you should know how to behave to the police.
  • jackie 2007/06/27 22:59:59
    jackie
    he needs to lose his job plain and simple
  • John 2007/06/27 20:38:11
    John
    +1
    The kids got the best of the cop...I dont' know what happened prior to the video showing up, but the cop was out of control at the point he grabbed the last 2 people! My assumption is the first one instigated something, but it wasn't an excuse to treat the later ones the way they were treated!
  • Magzilla 2007/06/27 20:36:30
    Magzilla
    The cop was freakin out even when the kids were just trying to talk to him. The cop was wrong.

2014/09/02 01:48:51