Is this comment by a devoted, die-hard Obama supporter a valid, truthful, justifiable answer to the question the comment was addressing?..Or, is it a failed attempt to rationalize the "un" and "under" employment for Obama's sake?

Howler 2013/01/21 14:50:51
POLL QUESTION -

8,332,000 Americans Dropped Out Of The Workforce During Obama’s First Term… Should the people under 65 who drop out of workforce be counted in the unemployment numbers?
http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/8332000-americans-dropp...

ANSWER GIVEN -

"Should a mother or father who stays at home with her children be counted as part of the workforce? Most if not all mothers and fathers of children under the age of 18 are also under the age of 65. IMO, raising our children is America's most important job and women or men who chose to stay at home have made a wise choice and one that is in America's best interest. Do you really think it is in America's best interest to count them as unemployed when they are engaged in our most important endeavor?"

• betz 2013/01/21 14:57:43
    Even though there may be SOME truth in it, it sounds more like a spin to just...
    betz
    +7
    If the person has looked and looked and looked and then gave up yes they should be counted. I know a few who just gave up after beating the pavement for a few years. They WANT to continue working but there is nothing out there.

• mustangluver 2013/01/23 06:47:02
    mustangluver
    +1
    Having kids is a conscious choice and so you and you alone should be responsible for their care in every way. Blockbuster went under and closed 300 stores today and that is a lot of jobs lost. Unemployment is STILL a huge misery under BOs watch.. My older son lost a high paying job 3 yrs ago and has been looking ever since..there are no full time jobs and no jobs with benefits out there today.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2013/01/22 00:49:41
    jumpboots 187th PIR
  • princess 2013/01/21 23:10:28
    princess
    +1
    Simply ANOTHER demonstration of how the low-life Liberals lie, twist & cover-up the truth of just how horrible the unemployment figures truly are to fit their agenda.....gotta keep those ignorant sheeple blinded to the facts & truth.
  • George 2013/01/21 21:39:29
    George
    +2
    Nope, more BS from the from an ass
  • thefatguy 2013/01/21 20:03:35
    thefatguy
    +2
    Staying at home to take care of your children doesn't pay the bills unless you demand the rest of us pay your bills.
  • ruthannhausman 2013/01/21 19:11:16
    ruthannhausman
    +3
    Double speak at its finest. Noble reasoning behind the response, but misdirection, period. Whether or not we consider at-home mothers and/or fathers to be employed or unemployed could be an interesting topic of conversation in the la-la crowd; however, when we are speaking of the employment rate in the United States, as everybody knows, we are speaking of persons employed outside the home -- or in-home workers doing work for people/companies that are not part of their family -- and which generates $$$ which can be taxed and circulated throughout our economy and invested and all that kind of good stuff.

Yes, motherhood and fatherhood are extremely important topics and must be dealt with intelligently and compassionately. However, when speaking of the overall economy of the United States, those folks are to be not counted as members of the workforce for purposes of $$$ calculations and budgeting, etc. Economy means money. Moms and dads aren't on the payroll, unfortunately, and should not be used to skew the figures.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/21 19:04:57
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Most discouraged workers are NOT stay-at-home Moms and Dads, many of them are young people or people over 50 who can't find a job.

Stop trying to twist the facts, any idiot can look at the population to employment ratio and see how bad it REALLY is.
  • Space Invader 2013/01/21 17:21:25
    Space Invader
    +2
    I am sick of all of this..I really am..
  • Jackie 2013/01/21 17:03:30
    Jackie
    +3
    What a twisted take on unemployment. That's like saying there are many more teachers than on the rolls. Because parents are teachers too. True but that doesn't make them actual certified teachers. PROOF...... Just try to get a job teaching with those credentials.
  • Howler Jackie 2013/01/21 17:06:56
    Howler
    Just about everything the particular SH who gave such an answer as this has a "twist" to it.
  • lucky 2013/01/21 16:46:36
    lucky
    +2
    Its an odd answer, staying at home and raising your family can be called a lot of things, some even call it a job off hand but its really not a job, its a privilege for some, a responsibility for others but never really a job.
  • WhereIs... lucky 2013/01/21 19:07:52
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Have you raised any children yet? It sure as heck is a "job", but that is not the point, the point is there are not anything close to enough stay at home parents to even put a dent in the discouraged workers number, again, look at the population to employment ratio.
  • lucky WhereIs... 2013/01/22 00:33:54
    lucky
    I raised two children, both are now adults, I also partially raised my grandchild her first year of life. I never considered them a "job" they were my responsibility when they were at their worst and they were a privilege when they were at their best, just because you consider your children a "job" dont put your baggage on everyone else.

Dont want the "job" of raising children then dont have them.

The "point" is raising children is completely different then having employment at a business or running a business.
  • WhereIs... lucky 2013/01/22 00:41:04 (edited)
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    I loved raising my child, but it is work to raise a child and do it right. and there is nothing bad about calling it a job, you have quite the attitude there. As to baggage, I think you need to go take a good look in the mirror.

What do you say to a Mother you think did a good job of raising her children? You did a good ________?

Seriously, I think you forgot to take your meds today.
  • lucky WhereIs... 2013/01/22 00:50:11
    lucky
    Just because something is work does not make it a job. A job by definition requires you to be paid an agreed amount.

The attitude is your imagination.
  • WhereIs... lucky 2013/01/22 00:53:12
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    The word "job" has more than one definition, so I am going to chalk this up to the fact that you are just not smart enough to realize that, sad but true.
  • Lanikai 2013/01/21 16:33:56
    +3
    Parents who stay at home VOLUNTARILY-and WITH another spouse supporting them, do not and should not get counted as workforce members.
  • WhereIs... Lanikai 2013/01/21 19:08:30
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    Which does just about nothing to explain all of the discouraged workers, nice try but that pig is not going to fly no matter what you do.
  • Lanikai WhereIs... 2013/01/21 22:15:49
    +1
    That explains how they are dropping numbers without creating jobs.
  • Boo 2013/01/21 16:18:43
    Boo
    +2
    I was never able to choose to stay home with my children, like I would have liked. I had to leave them in the care of others and go to the job that provided income necessary to support them. That job didn't pay enough to compensate for what I missed out on, but I didn't expect the government to support me and my family!
  • boneman1 2013/01/21 16:13:31
    boneman1
    +4
    Just one of the liberal lemmings trying to make their leader look better. Mothers and fathers who choose to stay home because they want to and aren't doing so because they lost a job are not counted in the unemployment numbers. The people that have dropped off the unemployment numbers have dropped because they either exhausted their benefits or gave up on finding a job.
  • susan 2013/01/21 15:47:32 (edited)
    susan
    +2
    Actually, the statement that 8,332,000 Americans dropped out of the workforce is false. Those people did not "drop out," they were forced out of their jobs. In addition, many more took early retirement or retired though they would have continued working for many years past age 65.

That was the number of people whose jobs were lost in the 2008-2009 financial crisis. More than 25% of those were in skilled construction jobs, their jobs destroyed by the banks' calling of commercial development and real estate loans that had underlaid the projects they were working on. Many of the rest of those jobs lost were related to those construction industry losses in manufacturing, service industries, equipment and consumer goods that came to a screeching halt with the foreclosures and bankruptcies caused by the banking industry. (Data from the Federal Reserve of St. Louis study of job losses caused by the 2008 financial crisis)
  • Cal 2013/01/21 15:29:24 (edited)
    Cal
    +3
    It's a well written and very thought out excuse that entirely evades the question and the natural conclusion any other person would come to. In other words....normal SH sheeple comment.
  • gtorborg77 2013/01/21 15:26:35
    gtorborg77
    +2
    That said, the responder has a point: getting an accurate picture of the real unemployment numbers is a difficult thing... but it is not impossible.

When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, my mom was in the majority: she did not work outside of the home. She had a job when I was a baby and worked up until shortly before the birth of my younger brother. She never had a job outside the home after that. But that was also at a time when it was actually feasible to raise a family with just one income. Many people don't realize that the increase in the cost of living in the past 50 years is NOT a straight line, nor is it a smooth curve. There was a huge spike in the cost of living that occurred in the middle 70s through the early 80s. It's no coincidence that during this time the percent of moms who stayed at home with the kids went from over 70% all the way down to 15%, and it has since dropped to around 10%.

Up until our oldest kid was around 8 years old, my wife had a job, too. She decided, though, as my own job stabilized, to drop out of the workforce for a while. That was the intention, anyway. Her plans of returning to the workforce after our youngest got into high school were thwarted by health issues and other circumstances. But we never received any form o...

Up until our oldest kid was around 8 years old, my wife had a job, too. She decided, though, as my own job stabilized, to drop out of the workforce for a while. That was the intention, anyway. Her plans of returning to the workforce after our youngest got into high school were thwarted by health issues and other circumstances. But we never received any form of assistance, and simply went on with just my job's income. It hasn't always been easy, but we made it. So do you count my wife as unemployed? No... she left the workforce voluntarily and not because she couldn't find a new job. She never received any form assistance, either, which is a big factor. How do you count everyone else, then? Your guess is as good as mine, but they definitely do need to somehow count those who 1) were employed in the last 2-3 years, 2) received some form of unemployment compensation after losing that job, and 3) dropped out of the workforce specifically because they couldn't find gainful employment while receiving that compensation.
  • WhereIs... gtorborg77 2013/01/21 19:10:42
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    More can be done to figure it out, but the surveys they use are crap, and the population to employment ratio shows a HUGE problem. THE government is fudging the unemployment number, and they keep perfecting their method since 1994 when they started hiding the truth.
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2013/01/21 14:59:41
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +1
    The answer is basically Obamaese cricket crap. Once the Obamaites swallow the swill, they get creative, if not disgustingly air-headed when coming up with a defense of their master.
  • betz 2013/01/21 14:57:43
    betz
    +7
  • WhereIs... betz 2013/01/21 19:11:41
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I know a few too, so if all of us or even most of us know a few, how many is that?

I also know far too many who are underemployed or work PT when they want FT.
  • HOMBRE 2013/01/21 14:57:15
    HOMBRE
    +6
    Forgive them father for the libtards to stupid to vote amen
  • Rustie 2013/01/21 14:56:59
    Rustie
    +6
    Since "parent" is not a paid position (from which the government may extract taxes, medicare, and social security), as far as the government and its skewed numbers go - they are unemployed.
    +5
    Indeed!
  • ☆astac☆~PWCM 2013/01/21 14:52:19
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +6
    Typical brain dead liberal
  • Kronan_1 ☆astac☆... 2013/01/21 14:56:38
    Kronan_1
    +2
    This quetion can't be answered with the choices given.

2014/11/26 13:55:55