Is there any conclusive hard scientific evidence or empirical data that proves the existence of LOVE?

TeaParty Patriot 2007/07/01 07:10:40
Love exists I can prove it
Love exists but I can't prove it
Love doesn't exist
I created this poll in response to a great poll by Randy about the existence of God. This isn't an attack on his poll. His poll inspired me. Mine is better only because it has pictures.

• Hank 2007/07/01 12:33:45
    Love exists I can prove it
    Hank
    +8
    God acted on our behalf, showing us he loved us in that Jesus Christ, his only son was born, lived among us and died for us. What greater love has man than to give his life for his nieghbor? I have heard several different definitions of the word love. Our local priest explained it best, for me anyway. There is "Eros" or erotic love. "Philia" or love of brother (sister). "Storge", family love and finally "Agape" the love of God demonstrated in the cross (he loves us so much he died for us) and beyond the cross to believers is primarily agape. Indeed, the love of God expressed to the unsaved by the way of the cross is only ever agape until the individuals respond to Him in repentance and faith.
    When Jesus asked Peter "do you love me" he was asking Peter do you love me enough to die for me? We could write pages on this and I do not say I am an expert in this area by any means. I have not even scratched the surface. Can I hand you something tangible that is love? Some say yes. Can you measure love? The love of mother for her child cannot be measured. Does it exist? Most certainly, why would one person willingly take the place of another sentenced to certain death, as in the concentration camps where others did in fact offer their lives to save another. Does love exist? Absolutely, can I define it for you? Not really , it is something you must find the answers to your self.

• Arleen 2008/04/12 07:16:51
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    Arleen
    Kahlil Gibran wrote this and I have seen this work..Its a good recipe for loving relationships..
    Proof? Its in your head..
    Love one another, but make not a bond of love:
    Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
    Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
    Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf
    Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
    Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
    For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
    And stand together yet not too near together:
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.
  • tg 2008/04/12 03:28:56 (edited)
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    tg
    +1
    love is a choice! love shows, shares and sacrifices. a choice cannot be proven concretely!
  • Lisa 2008/03/15 03:50:56
    Love exists I can prove it
    Lisa
    If you've ever seen a mother and a child, you know love exists.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2008/02/29 03:43:13
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    Love is very software-ish. :)

• cheerie-o 2008/02/26 21:55:54
    Love exists I can prove it
    cheerie-o
    love is complicated. its not a feeling like everyone thinks it is . it is a decion. u have 2 decide 2 love someone. like when someone puts there baby up for addoption sometimes they have 2 but other times they choose 2 not love their child.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/01/20 20:33:46
  • Marko 2007/12/05 20:09:32
    Love exists I can prove it
    Marko
    with or without love it is all the same to me.
  • bob 2007/11/15 00:26:09
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    bob
    undecided
    love is an emotion, which is entirely created in our heads. but love is a universal emotion
  • Kanaka Rican - Now's the ti... 2007/11/07 19:14:41 (edited)
    Love exists I can prove it
    Kanaka Rican - Now's the time for ACTION
    +2
    Look at a child...a bran new baby and tell me there is no love...
    Look into the eyes of your lover and tell me it is only lust and not love....
    Have a relationship with God and let Him truly take over and tell me you don't feel love...for God Is LOVE! I just know love exists...For He sent His only begotten Son...that was the greatest act of Love
  • <--That guy 2007/11/05 19:19:01
    Love exists I can prove it
    <--That guy
    +1
    I think that there such a thing as love, but it's difficult to prove scientifically. However, if we were to conduct brainscans and observe how the brain reacts when certain emotions are being expressed, we could see where in the brain it takes place and what neurotransmitters are causing this effect. The hard part is getting someone to feel love in a controlled condition. It would seem difficult to feel romantic with electrodes all over one's head.
    Still, even if it works, it won't "prove" that love exists, but it will suggest that it does based upon evidence. Science never really proves anything. It just offers the best and most simplistic explanations to things within the natural world. Unfortunately, sometimes even the simplest explanation is still difficult to interpret. Nevertheless, I think there are some scientific experiments one could do to find evidence of love.
  • 134 2007/10/13 19:39:31
  • TeaPart... 134 2007/10/18 22:03:29
    TeaParty Patriot
    +1
    And God can show his results but not Himself.
  • 134 TeaPart... 2007/10/19 00:10:40
  • dras 2007/07/12 19:59:34
    Love exists I can prove it
    dras
    Love exist and anyone who says anything else has to be a sorry a**.
  • TeaPart... dras 2007/07/13 18:40:39
    TeaParty Patriot
    I agree. How do you prove it?
  • Betty "Jesus is Lord" 2007/07/06 08:04:09
    Love exists I can prove it
    Betty   "Jesus is Lord"
    There are different kinds of love. Love you have romantically, love for a child or friend or relative love you have for others. It is a feeling and an action. It is giving of yourself eventhough it could be a sacrifice. It's putting yourself second and others first. It's that tug at your heart when someone is in need then doing something about it.
  • Kari 2007/07/03 12:22:34
    Love exists I can prove it
    Kari
    What about love between a mother and child? That's love and that obviously exists. I guess if you are talking about love in a marriage or relationship, then I still think it exists. I can't prove it personally, but all you have to do is look around. You know what you should do...go to the airport and watch people's loved ones greet them when they get off of the airplane. Now, that's love! People are hugging, kissing, occasionally crying. Ya know, the airport is a funny place now that I think about it. It's very business like and sterile, considering you have to go through the metal detectors, take off your shoes incase your smuggling a bomb in there, maybe even drink a bottle of breast milk to prove that it's not poison. But, if you can witness the love between the people who are getting to see each other again, you'll realize that the airport is a building that is full of love.
  • True~Male 2007/07/03 02:03:53
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    True~Male
    +2
    JUST AS GOD EXISTS BUT I CAN't PROVE IT -- YOU CAN'T SEE THE WIND but YOU can FELL IT AND SEE ITS EFFECTS .
  • Ginny 2007/07/02 19:57:46
    Love exists I can prove it
    Ginny
    +2
    So many excellent answers! Great poll Mouthpiece. I truly can't add much more to what has already been said.
  • byebye ,I love you,gotta go 2007/07/01 17:56:21
    Love exists I can prove it
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    +4
    there are different types of love...
    In the secular world one defines love as a "feeling" to be experienced rather than a quality pertaining to the new nature. For the natural man, love is something that "just happens" over which sometimes there is little control. It is a matter of "feeling" and may be seen in the Greek word eros and philia. First, "eros" is a love called forth by an inordinate desire for an object of worth or a desire to possess and enjoy the desired object. Eros is not a bad thing, but there is danger when one thinks of eros as equal to love (this is seen when eros is absent, we then think love is absent). In our society today, eros is highly overrated and is the type of love that many marriages are based on and may be the single reason for the ever increasing divorce rate (once the object becomes undesirable, love dies; a very selfish unilateral love). Second, philia is a love that is best defined as an affectionate love, a fondness, or the love of friends. These types of love may fuel a relationship temporarily, but they are "conditional." Even though they may have others as their focus, primarily the motivating interest behind these types of love is self-interest, self-gratification, and self-protection. This "conditional" love involves the element of gi...

there are different types of love...
    In the secular world one defines love as a "feeling" to be experienced rather than a quality pertaining to the new nature. For the natural man, love is something that "just happens" over which sometimes there is little control. It is a matter of "feeling" and may be seen in the Greek word eros and philia. First, "eros" is a love called forth by an inordinate desire for an object of worth or a desire to possess and enjoy the desired object. Eros is not a bad thing, but there is danger when one thinks of eros as equal to love (this is seen when eros is absent, we then think love is absent). In our society today, eros is highly overrated and is the type of love that many marriages are based on and may be the single reason for the ever increasing divorce rate (once the object becomes undesirable, love dies; a very selfish unilateral love). Second, philia is a love that is best defined as an affectionate love, a fondness, or the love of friends. These types of love may fuel a relationship temporarily, but they are "conditional." Even though they may have others as their focus, primarily the motivating interest behind these types of love is self-interest, self-gratification, and self-protection. This "conditional" love involves the element of giving for the purpose of getting something in return. Here the "feeling" of love is motivated by the excitement of getting love, and is not due to the love for another.

Therefore, modern love is a process of selection; it picks and chooses how it will love based solely on an expected and desired response. In other words, the effort extended is equal to the desired comfort. So then, the commitment level is rooted in one’s feelings and expectations of that which will be returned by the object desired. The ideological view is, "When I do not receive what I need, I soon discover that I did not love it."

In contrast to worldly love is the biblical, divine, agape love(this love is divine in the sense that it is love first shown between the Persons of the Godhead from all eternity). It is a self-sacrificing love in that it "lives to give." Such love finds commitment in the "giving" itself; it receives comfort from the good that is accomplished in the one loved. It is doing for a person based on the internal change of the new creature. Agape may be best defined as a steadfast commitment to act on someone else’s behalf. Agape is foundational to complete love and is the cognitive side of love. It is different from philia in that it is unconditional (no "ifs" "ands" or "buts"). Once one becomes a child of God, washed from his sin by the shed blood of the Lamb, agape love abides in him. This love is not manufactured nor can it be faked, it is a part of the new nature given at regeneration and developed through sanctification.
  • tg byebye ... 2008/04/12 03:49:20 (edited)
    tg
    +1
    i started to answer with the same response depicting the different types of love but ended up going in another direction and look, God knew you had already answered as such. He's awesome I tell ya!
  • byebye ... tg 2008/04/12 05:30:31
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    He is AWESOME tg..... :)
  • jackrorabbit 2007/07/01 17:19:50
    Love exists but I can't prove it
    jackrorabbit
    +2
    Love is a decision, not a feeling. This is why so many modern marriages
    fail. People go into the marriage with "flutternutter" feelings, and
    then when the work of marriage starts, and the "feelings" get
    disturbed, then it falls apart. Instead, if when getting married,
    people were forced to live with an older married couple for a year
    beforehand, and got to see all the work involved in making a successful
    union, they would be able to make a much more informed choice about the
    person that they claim to love.
  • ARMENTHIA jackror... 2007/07/01 17:27:32
    ARMENTHIA
    +2
    A GOOD PRE-Marital Counseling normally works almost the same. I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you sir...you are a gentleman.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/01 20:45:25
    Teedee
    +3
    Alot of good answers on here. I still say it can be a feeling..but I stand corrected on " I should of went farther with my answer ". Honestly..you have all said it so well. I think there is different types of love and different ways to love. My love for my children and husband is a different more powerful love than for someone else.For the good and bad...I love them regardless..that will never change. Love can be many things. There is even one or two people that I love...but I just dont like them..Not sure if that will make sense to anyone...does to me :))... Or should I say..I love them..but dont like some of their ways??? Again..alot of good answers here.
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/01 20:54:46
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    No it makes perfect since, you can love someone and not like them. That is the decision side of love.
  • ARMENTHIA Teedee 2007/07/02 10:58:06 (edited)
    ARMENTHIA
    +2
    What do you think about this Lady Teedee....that the "feeling" part is a BY-product of the actually choice to love? (smile)

Would you agree with that? (giggling) I say this only because there are "feeling" or "emotions" that could be attached to love but it's not really the power behind loving someone because as you truthfully stated...there are times....when oh my goodness.....the "like" just isn't there. (giggling)

So do we agree on it being a by-product? (smiling)

Can I get an Amen and thank you Jesus to that? (laughing)
  • Teedee ARMENTHIA 2007/07/02 12:48:33
    Teedee
    +3
    I'll give ya a Amen and a thank you Jesus for that :))..
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 12:58:26
    Teedee
    +2
    Now the love is a decision thing... What if you meet someone and think...hmmm...dont think this person is my type or dont think this person would be good for me...but then...in time...they do something/somethings and bam...then you start to have love for them...Is that still a decision thing? Or would it be just going with feelings of love you developed along the way? Just asking ???
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/02 13:24:03
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    Well, I would submit, that it isn't love, but lust at that moment. Lust
    is a moment in time feeling. Love is a decision that you make that
    works through problems ect. Lust is a strong desire for a thing, idea,
    person, or other. But it could be that you saw them do something, and
    because of the attitude or actions of that person, you then decide to
    love them, again, if you could decide not to love them because of that
    action.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 13:29:49
    Teedee
    +1
    Hmmmmm...but what if...they do go on...have a life together.. live and love like there is not tommorrow...yes..I know it would be a decision as far as making the commitment to be together..but I'm talking about the love part :))
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/02 13:40:08
    jackrorabbit
    +2
    Love is still a decision. It has a feeling attached to it, but lets
    take the opposite of it. What if that person did something that was
    abhorant to you, would you still love them and not like the action, or
    would you then hate them because of what they did? If it was true love,
    you would hate the action, but continue to love the person, because you
    made the choice to love them. So many of the divorces occur, because
    people say, "I just don't love them any more", but that is not the
    truth, the truth would be, "I don't want to put energy into the
    marriage to make it work any more, because there must be someone else
    out there that is better." And when they get into the next marriage,
    because they never made the decision to love (work hard to keep) the
    new spouse, it will eventually fall apart as well.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 13:55:00
    Teedee
    +1
    I knew you would could up with something good lol..my answer...hmmmmm...I can live with that and see your way of thinking...I can even agree with all of it..but I also think it's a feeling...and now you just have me confused :))..I think love is many different things.You are totally right about the " put energy into the marriage " thing..I think some people just cop out when it comes to working on a marriage. And...I think your wife is one lucky gal...she has a good man beside her :))
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/02 13:57:56
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    That is because we use the word love in place of 4 greek words. Read Hanks post because he disects the difference so well.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 14:01:13
    Teedee
    +1
    Yes he did..I even said...What Hank said..and it's a feeling.. Again...alot of good answers.
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/02 14:03:59
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    I read his post. The word feeling isn't in there anywhere. That was
    your reply to someone right above him as to the image that you got from
    what he said.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 14:08:07
    Teedee
    +1
    when I posted I believe Hanks was the only one...could be mistaken..but what I meant was....What Hank said...and I added Love is a feeling (which was my comment).
  • jackror... Teedee 2007/07/02 14:11:21
    jackrorabbit
    +1
    Usually (and I say that because there is always an exception) when
    people speak about love being a feeling, it is Eros, which is the
    sexual love, or in our language lust is the closest translation, but
    not the bad lust. Lust is just a very strong desire, lust for power,
    lust for property, et al.
    I think we are at the agree to disagree point, but it was a good discussion.
  • Teedee jackror... 2007/07/02 14:18:21
    Teedee
    +2
    I believe the Eros one was posted after my comment...again..I could be wrong..When I posted ...I did it in a hurry...that's my bad.. I remember Hank had a great answer and I add the Love is a feeling as my comment. You will learn..just ask my husband :)) sometimes I say things and they turn out wrong..I'm working on that..I'm still..at 48..a work in progess :))
  • ARMENTHIA Teedee 2007/07/02 23:16:02
    ARMENTHIA
    +1
    Hey guys, I REFUSE to interject because you are right on target.

I stepped back and kept quiet because Mr. Man was right on about what he was saying.

One thing I have learned is that when truth is speaking.....back up and let it flow.

There was no need for me to speak.

He spoke truth.

Every word was clear, concise and to the point.

He didn't and still does not need anyone to walk along side of him....he's good. (giggling)

I'm sitting here reading all of your comments and this is exciting me to see the dialogue and see how it's moving and it's such a positive movement compared to other polls where folk is just lashing out at each other and being clueless at the same time.

We CAN reason together if we put forth just a little bit of effort. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. (laughing)

Thank you both and others here for the dialogue and for allowing me to participate if just for a little bit. (smiling) I am honored.

It's all love baby...all love. (giggling) THUMBS UP!!!

2014/07/22 23:01:58