Is the War on Women Real or Manufactured?

Politics got personal on Wednesday when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen accused Mitt Romney's wife, Ann Romney, of having "never worked a day in her life." It moved Mrs. Romney to send her first tweet ever ("I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work"), setting off a debate over the decision to work or stay home. But The Christian Science Monitor is calling it a "fake" debate.

Ann told Fox News, "[Rosen] should have come to my house when those five boys were causing so much trouble, it wasn’t so easy. My career choice was to be a mother. And I think all of us need to know that we need to respect the choices that women make. Other women make other choices to have a career and raise a family, which I think Hilary Rosen has actually done herself. I respect that, that's wonderful... We have to respect women in all those choices that they make."

But Rosen is sticking to her guns, and responded to the criticism in a CNN editorial: "I have no judgments about women who work outside the home versus women who work in the home raising a family. I admire women who can stay home and raise their kids full time. I even envy them sometimes. It is a wonderful luxury to have the choice. But let's stipulate that it is not a choice that most women have in America today." We're not sure if Hilary Rosen or Ann Romney wins this debate, but that's not really the point. Do you think these kinds of feuds are real -- or just manufactured to get a vote in politics?

• lee smitty 2012/04/13 22:14:58
    lee
    you said "in the 50's and 60's the dems had the same values as republicans today."

the only thing common to those two groups is a long standing fear/hatetred of the black people.

why do you think Regan when after the "southern strategy?".. to lure conservative southern dems over to the R side of the isle.

we're not stupid, out here in CA... WE CAN SEE YOU, you know.
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 22:37:09
    smitty
    Ha! You all are clueless in CA.

"the only thing common to those two groups is a long standing fear/hatetred of the black people." Hell you could say that about everyone in the 50's 60's. Probably 95% of the people regardless of race and or political background.

Nice try.. yet utter failure of playing the race card.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 22:53:00
    lee
    you're the one who made the comparison... what ELSE could you have been talking about?
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 22:54:45
    smitty
    Figured a left wing nut job would be fixiated on race.

Doncha have some baby seals to go save?
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 22:56:25
    lee
    if republicans were not so overt about it, perhaps we could ignore it but lately the hoods are off and they letting their FREAK fly...

just an observation.
  • smitty lee 2012/04/14 19:03:14
    smitty
    They are just catching up to the last 8 years of closed door negotiation by the dems.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 21:33:04
    lee
    i find most of the "independents" are shamed Republicans who don't want to admit they voted for GWB.
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 21:37:02
    smitty
    I voted for GWB. I am not ashamed. I would be if I voted for Obama... People actually bought into his hope and change.. man did they get bent over.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 21:39:38
    lee
    is that ANOTHER anus reference?
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 21:54:59
    smitty
    Wait for it......
  • Lady Wh... luvguins 2012/04/13 13:36:56
  • oldlady luvguins 2012/04/13 22:37:48
    oldlady
    +1
    I agree! See my comment ;)
  • luvguins oldlady 2012/04/13 22:47:15
    luvguins
    +1
    Where is it? There are 33 pages, eek.
  • oldlady luvguins 2012/04/13 23:40:17
    oldlady
    Should be on the first page. Do I not come up on your friends list at the right of posts where friends comments come up on each post?
  • luvguins oldlady 2012/04/14 00:38:39
    luvguins
    +1
    Duh? Never thought of that, my friend. Took me right there and the song is still playing in my head.....LOL.
  • Blackberry 2012/04/12 20:10:10
    Manufactured
    Blackberry
    +4
    There's no actual "war", but it's common sense and sociology 101 that there's a social hierarchy that is no where near equal on our planet.
  • Communi... Blackberry 2012/04/13 00:16:46
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    Yep, but now women don't have to follow the popular roles do they?
  • Blackberry Communi... 2012/04/13 18:08:49
    Blackberry
    Some do and some don't.
  • Communi... Blackberry 2012/04/18 19:07:34
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    Really? Show me where women are legally required to fit into popular gender roles against their will. Where does the law not back up a woman who seeks to be independent?
  • Rich Knoch 2012/04/12 20:09:57
    Manufactured
    Rich Knoch
    +5
    This is one facet of obama's Class Warfare Scam which is designed to split the vote. Luckily, only around 10-20% of females will believe it; i.e., the wackier part of those on the Left.

It's simply B.S., as women have continued to make more money and earn more degrees each and every year.
    http://www.slate.com/articles...
  • lee Rich Knoch 2012/04/12 22:02:47
    lee
    you think its about earning money and book learn'in?

wow.

you ARE out of touch.
  • smitty lee 2012/04/12 22:58:55
    smitty
    What's it about then? Being able to go topless?
  • lee smitty 2012/04/12 23:29:34
    lee
    +1
    ask a woman in your life... she will tell you.
  • Communi... lee 2012/04/13 00:15:05
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    The only thing I can think of that people mention is abortion, and that isn't about suppressing women in any way, its just about trying to find the balance between privacy and a childs right to life.
  • lee Communi... 2012/04/13 00:18:10
    lee
    +1
    equal pay?
  • Communi... lee 2012/04/13 00:29:59
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    +2
    The wage gap is a myth. It exists because women tend to choose to stay home to provide for the family. I can't remember the exact study I saw, but the average difference between a man and woman who follow the same career choices is almost nothing. Look up "Wage Gap Myth" and you'll understand what I mean. Men are more willing to take more dangerous jobs, men work more hours, and also unmarried women technically make more than unmarried men.
  • lee Communi... 2012/04/13 00:35:24
    lee
    +1
    you are not a woman... clearly.

goggle Lilly Leadbetter
  • Communi... lee 2012/04/13 00:54:50
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    +2
    This is an anecdote. I gave proof based off of cases all across the country, and you gave one instance to go against it. It's clear you aren't going to listen to reason?
  • lee Communi... 2012/04/13 00:58:56
    lee
    +1
    what is clear it that you don't know what you are talking about....

equal pay is for equal work... that's what the act was about and that's what she sued for.

your "proof" had nothing to do with equal work, it only focused on earnings ratios...

as Cain says, "apples and aranges"
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 13:10:07 (edited)
    smitty
    +1
    We should have a beer summit on this... or maybe we can get a community organizer to set something up.. Do you know of one?

Oh wait I do... He lives at 1600 Pennsylvania avenue.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 16:41:01 (edited)
    lee
    we should just pay women the same rate we pay men who do that same work...

its not rocket science.

(not that women can't do rocket science, because math is hard for everyone... oh, it stepped in it again, didn't I? :p)
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 18:30:20
    smitty
    Hello McFly? They do... For equal work and time they do.

I would assume if one was a Rocket Scientist then it would be considered Rocket Science, no?
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 18:35:43
    lee
    and so you know for a fact that all women are paid an equal wage as a man would be paid for the same work... nothing to see here... no reason for the ACT... its all just a lie...

is that your position?

well, you will forgive me if I don't take YOUR word for it, and still keep the option open for women (who have been traditionally underpaid) to actually hold you to those words in a court of law.

seems fair to me.... if you are right then there is nothing for you to worrry about, now is there?
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 20:19:08 (edited)
    smitty
    No I don't know that for a fact across the US of A. I know some women make more than some men. In my case my wife. I for sure as hades work more than her.. I have been putting almost 80 hours per week for 6 months.. Where as she puts almost 40.. and that is high for her profession.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 20:58:39
    lee
    you're working 80hr weeks and you have all this time to post on SH?

does your wife know this?
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 21:00:54
    smitty
    Why should it matter if she knows?

I guess you have never multi tasked? It only takes 30 seconds to answer a Lib. Hardest thing is typing on a cell phone.
  • lee smitty 2012/04/13 21:02:38
    lee
    get back to work, you slacker...

her she comes to check on you. ;p
  • smitty lee 2012/04/13 21:09:04
    smitty
    Ha! She is about 30 miles away.. The boss just came in though.. sO I got to pretend I am doing something.. Can I borrow yourplaybook? =p
  • Communi... lee 2012/04/13 17:11:06
    CommunistLiberalAtheistJew
    +1
    But there are real studies that men and women make the same on average in the same fields. And unemployed women make more than unemployed men. I'm not shouting discrimination about that. You showed ONE example, whereas there are studies over thousands that prove that case is not usual. You want to imagine youre at a disadvantage when in reality you have none. I can pull a few cases in which men have been discriminated against as well, but I highly doubt you care about how men are disadvantaged against women in places like divorce court and child custody. You don't care about statistics, you just want to hold on to your make believe theory that women in general are at a disadvantage against men in our industry when in reality they average the same amount of money when they make the same choices. It's obvious you didn't even look up the studies, whereas I actually read your case and refuted it with something that isn't anecdotal. Do you even know why an anecdote doesn't work to support your argument?
  • lee Communi... 2012/04/13 17:44:08
    lee
    the anecdote you are so quick to dismiss is a real person, who fought for and won a landmark piece of legislation that applies to ALL women.. perhaps you should do a bit more research on the ACT bearing her name.

when you demonstrate some knowledge of that reality then we can talk more.

2014/08/31 02:35:11