Is the War on Women Real or Manufactured?

Politics got personal on Wednesday when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen accused Mitt Romney's wife, Ann Romney, of having "never worked a day in her life." It moved Mrs. Romney to send her first tweet ever ("I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work"), setting off a debate over the decision to work or stay home. But The Christian Science Monitor is calling it a "fake" debate.

Ann told Fox News, "[Rosen] should have come to my house when those five boys were causing so much trouble, it wasn’t so easy. My career choice was to be a mother. And I think all of us need to know that we need to respect the choices that women make. Other women make other choices to have a career and raise a family, which I think Hilary Rosen has actually done herself. I respect that, that's wonderful... We have to respect women in all those choices that they make."

But Rosen is sticking to her guns, and responded to the criticism in a CNN editorial: "I have no judgments about women who work outside the home versus women who work in the home raising a family. I admire women who can stay home and raise their kids full time. I even envy them sometimes. It is a wonderful luxury to have the choice. But let's stipulate that it is not a choice that most women have in America today." We're not sure if Hilary Rosen or Ann Romney wins this debate, but that's not really the point. Do you think these kinds of feuds are real -- or just manufactured to get a vote in politics?

• Diane Met 2012/04/18 20:24:41 (edited)
    Diane
    +1
    Well said, Met!!
  • Ozzyboy Met 2012/04/19 02:41:12
    Ozzyboy
    So, you have a lot of personal support but begrudge it to someone else? You must not be working if your personal assistant has to teach you how to turn on your smart phone. Not smart to attack someone else when you are doing the same thing yourself.
  • MOJ 2012/04/18 04:42:35
    Manufactured
    MOJ
    +1
    Define "Equal Rights for both Genders"

I for one support equal rights. I do not, however, support uniform rights. There is a big difference and many people get confused between the two.
  • Ali Powell MOJ 2012/04/18 19:13:33
    Ali Powell
    +3
    so access to cheap pre-natal care and abortion rights? and men getting paid more than women in jobs that they are equally qualified for? please explain your definition of equality for me.
  • Lisa Ali Powell 2012/04/18 19:36:20
    Lisa
    +1
    It is called pay for perfomance.If a woman does an equal job as a man, she is compensated for that. A lot of women stand around and wine and bring sexual lawsuits against thier employers. I wish i a was a man..lol.. some women are fools some or most of the time.
  • Grammar... Lisa 2012/04/19 00:31:28 (edited)
    Grammar Freak
    Can't sue an employer for discrimination in pay or hiring or other sexual discrimination in Wisconsin anymore... & couldn't until 2009.
    So, even if you out-perform a man, in Wisconsin that's just too bad.
    No whining.
  • Lisa Grammar... 2012/04/19 04:03:26
    Lisa
    Great .. Employers give you a job, go do it and quit looking for ways out of working! If your performance is not worth Jim's who works overtime and hands in every project early, then you don't deserve equal pay! How many men sue for sex discrimination?

You are sue happy, this is what's ruining America...take responsibility or quit the damn job.
  • Grammar... Lisa 2012/04/19 09:48:22
    Grammar Freak
    What the hell does wanting to be paid equally have to do with not wanting to work?
    Are you delusional?
    ...oh yeah, that's right. Hormones.
    oops.
    I forgot.
    People wanting you to have equal rights & opportunities & you complain about them. There is definitely something unbalanced in your noggin'.
    ...or maybe you're like Mrs. Romney & will never have to worry about money or working or equality in the workplace in general.
  • Lisa Grammar... 2012/04/19 15:12:44
    Lisa
    +1
    I am tired of talking to you about this. I am not a whiner , I am a doer. If I see that my boss is not treating me fairly or find out somehow that someone a man or a woman is getting a higher pay than me doing the same job, I would do a total analysis of why they are getting more pay. Maybe they have worked longer hours, gone on or did special assignments, slept with the boss or etc and maybe I am not willing to do these things , so therefore I don't deserve to be paid more!
    I am being logical...what are you being?
    Good luck to you, I do not wish to discuss this further, let's agree to disagree . Have a nice life.
  • Grammar... Lisa 2012/04/20 12:42:25
    Grammar Freak
    Completely unrealistic views, in my opinion.
    Practicality wins the day. Utopia does not exist.
    I hope, for the good of America & women, in general, that you are a rare breed.
  • mark 2012/04/18 04:23:17
    Manufactured
    mark
    +1
    It's 100% manufactured it was started by the democrats when it was brought up in a debate by a liberal host as a question to Mitt Romney it was and is totally out of line. The democrat party is just using it to take attention away from their terrible record from this administration.
  • Met mark 2012/04/18 04:39:58 (edited)
    Met
    +2
    Yep.

Who cares if the republicans are repealing equal pay laws, calling any woman who wants access to contraception a whore, and forcing them to have large instruments shoved up their vaginae without consent just to receive adequate health advice that doesn't require having large instruments shoved up their vaginae...

The obvious crime here is the whores keep calling them on it.

Pack it up, you guys won't even be winning student council elections for the next 20 years.
  • Lisa mark 2012/04/18 19:38:13
    Lisa
    Women have advanced more in the last 10 years and look at all the women CEO's..
    You are right, Obama cannot run on his failed record and policies , so he will try anything to get the focus away.

I am sorry my gender is so gullible and foolish!
  • Grammar... Lisa 2012/04/19 00:54:32
    Grammar Freak
    Come on. Obama's failures are not a war on women. His failures were not being able to bring the economy back at a satisfactory rate from the depths of hell, not pulling out of Afghanistan like he said he would, not doing load of things he should have generally, & doing loads of things he simply shouldn't have... but his failures are separate from this issue.
    What's going on right now in the nation by Republican politicians is not Obama-based. It is absolutely offensive to the women who live & work in our nation. To look at the actions specific to women that prevent or deny or otherwise negatively impact women. that Republican politicians have taken is definitely important when deciding where & how we want our nation to go.
    That doesn't mean that Obama's direction is the best one.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. I certainly do not want him to remain our President.
    However, to deny the movement toward 1950 instead of 2050 by the Republican Party, is not a good idea either. I don't want women in the US to have to even consider whether or not they can use the birth control of their choice, regardless of age. I would think that in 2050, such issues won't 'come up. So why don't we head in that direction instead of BACK to when women had to be ashamed or hide or ask or tell or ri...

&&
    However, to deny the movement toward 1950 instead of 2050 by the Republican Party, is not a good idea either. I don't want women in the US to have to even consider whether or not they can use the birth control of their choice, regardless of age. I would think that in 2050, such issues won't 'come up. So why don't we head in that direction instead of BACK to when women had to be ashamed or hide or ask or tell or risk their life or whatever.
    There must be another option.
    I don't think women SHOULD need special rights, but until there are no significant discrepancies in the basic, normal things in life, women need equality legislated... as do minorities, which is why the media & social scientists have always used the classification "women & minorities."
  • Lisa Grammar... 2012/04/19 04:18:42
    Lisa
    Women paint themselves in their own hole always complaining about every little thing. No one wants to push women back to. 1950 ! What an absurd statement, but you know what, that was a pretty good time for women! They got to stay home and raise the kids, keep the house in tip top shape, make sure their kids turn out to be normal functioning adults, keep the finances I order, and then their man came home after bringing in the bacon, they were glad to see him, thankful that he was so resourceful in keeping her a stay at home Mom! She loved her husband and respected and admired him for All that he did for their family. She was grateful for the ability to stay home and run a complicated household so her husband could concentrate on the money.

Then came the bitch Gloria Steinem, riling up stupid women and turning them into men! This is why the divorce rate is so high!
    Women should work if they want to or have to but if they have children their first priority is the children. They should enjoy the same salary as a man if they do the same or better at the same job.

Birth control will always be available, Republicans won't ever mess with that, what would that get them?
  • Grammar... Lisa 2012/04/19 09:58:37
    Grammar Freak
    Uhuh.
    ...& how many women executives were around in the 50's? ...how many women were in Congress in the 50's?

You don't read much, do you?
    Take a stroll through your favorite search engine results for various Republican actions on birth control in the US. I'm sure you'll find interesting reading.

If you think for one minute that anyone wants the world to be anything like 1950 in 2050, you're clearly out of your mind.
    Equality should be normal, without question, should just BE.
    But as it is, women (& minorities) have to fight for everything they get. Look at WalMart. They have far more women than men in managerial positions & REFUSE to pay them equally... AND demand over-time from them (often [illegally] unpaid).
    So, your little Utopic idea of the world of work sounds as if you're not a part of the work force.
    Stay home. Raise your kids. I agree that it's a lovely, picturesque scene. But it simply isn't practical or realistic for most hous-holds.
    The reason there are more divorces is that women no longer feel that they have to stay with a philandering bastard (who might beat her or otherwise abuse her or their children) anymore. She now has less stigma abot being a divorced woman. She now has options regarding work &/or assistance so that she doesn't have to stay with someon...

&

Uhuh.

You don't read much, do you?

The reason there are more divorces is that women no longer feel that they have to stay with a philandering bastard (who might beat her or otherwise abuse her or their children) anymore. She now has less stigma abot being a divorced woman. She now has options regarding work &/or assistance so that she doesn't have to stay with someone who doesn't love her or she doesn't love.

...& by the way, 50% of today's divorces are supposedly caused by Facebook.
    So, why don't we ban Facebook?

You see, it's silly.
    Until we actually do live in that Utopic society where people are all treated equally, we have no choice but to legislate equality some how. That's just the way it is, Lady... whether you want/use your rights or not, it's damned important that you fight to keep them because once you lose a right, it's next to impossible to get it back.
  • tracy.m.miller1 2012/04/18 04:18:07
    Real
    tracy.m.miller1
    +3
    I think both parties exploit the females. Republicans use family values to chain women to the traditional role while passing laws that leave them broke when husband leaves. Liberals act like staying at home is not work (truly for some it may not be) and liberals dreamed up women's lib which is not liberating to me,
  • chgo tracy.m... 2012/04/18 04:27:51
    chgo
    +1
    Uh, Ann Romney Is Different from Most Moms because...wait for it...98 percent of moms, whether or they're stay-at-home, have to work.

uh ann romney moms wait 98 percent moms stay-at-home work
  • Lisa chgo 2012/04/18 19:39:20
    Lisa
    Jeolous much?
  • Diane tracy.m... 2012/04/18 20:51:50
    Diane
    +1
    It's because of the women's lib movement that you have the right to vote, that you have the right to plan your family, and that you have the right to make the same salary as a man doing the same work as you. It's because of the women's lib movement that you are protected against sexual harassment in the workplace and from domestic violence at home.
  • deborah sletten 2012/04/18 04:12:50
    Real
    deborah sletten
    +3
    It all began in the 70's when the first lowered the age of statutory rape from age 21 to 18. Then it went to 16 and now it is as low as 12 years and 3 months in some states. Dirty bastards that legislated that hatred. Au! But they made up for it by allowing abortion, but no way to pay for it.
  • Pat 2012/04/18 04:07:27
    Real
    +2
    The Republican war on women is real and it's on both the national and state levels. The war on Motherhood is a fabricated war, isn't true and should have no bearing on anything. It's just the Republicans trying to get back at Democrats by using one badly worded quote from a minor player who misspoke.
  • Doc Fra... Pat 2012/04/18 23:13:38 (edited)
    Doc Frank stein
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    [I couldn't stop Larfin'!!!}
    It's taken 40 years but fems are finally getting their own backHa ha ha ha ha!!!!
    ha ha h

cERTAIN women have been waging war on men for 40 yrsHa ha hah a
    Now, it is still the women making the war, but on other women now!! Ha hah ah ha
    ;)
    ;)
  • Broken 2012/04/18 03:14:58
    Real
    Broken
    +2
    There is a real war on women being waged by the Left but making it seem like the right is the bad guy.
  • TheBorg 2012/04/18 03:04:05
    Real
    TheBorg
    REAL, do you not hear what people are saying? If it was not real those attacking women would not be attacking women.
  • Wilde~MoonChild ™ 2012/04/18 02:19:49
    Real
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +3
    1100 bills introduced by Republicans state legislators restricting women's rights.
    Those bills weren't manufactured so what does that tell you????
  • drdos1943 Wilde~M... 2012/04/18 06:18:58
    drdos1943
    +1
    Many of those bills were not introduced by the GOP.
  • Wilde~M... drdos1943 2012/04/18 15:15:03
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    I find that hard to believe... you can't say they weren't introduced by conservatives and that's it. So who introduced them?
  • Lisa Wilde~M... 2012/04/18 19:40:36
    Lisa
    post them here..what are they ?
  • Wilde~M... Lisa 2012/04/18 20:38:56
    Wilde~MoonChild ™
    +1
    You can start with this... the rest is on you... You have access to a computer I see
    http://www.guttmacher.org/sta...
  • chgo 2012/04/18 00:23:46 (edited)
    Real
    chgo
    +4
    916 Anti-Women Bills Introduced By The GOP Since Just March 2011

The GOP would have you believe there’s no war on women after they started the war on women. The first opportunity they had to deflect attention away was when Hilary Rosen, off the top of her head, made the comment that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life. We all know what she meant but it gave the right ammunition to turn it into the war on moms. Just so we’re clear, there is no war on moms. That’s just plain malarkey and everyone, including Republicans know it.

The Guttmacher Group compiled fascinating research, proving without a doubt, the war on women in America is indeed real. Since taking over the House in 2010, Republicans have introduced 916 anti-women Bills related to reproductive rights.

Some of these Bills include:
    Mandated pre-abortion ultrasounds.

Revised sex education laws to require schools districts to provide abstinence-only sex education while permitting discussion of contraception only with prior approval from the state.

23 states introduced 57 measures that would restrict abortions in all insurance plans.

That’s only the tip of the iceberg. You can view all on their site.

http://www.guttmacher.org/sta...
    The GOP refuses to understand women are simply NOT going to allow government to strip away th...

Some of these Bills include:
    Mandated pre-abortion ultrasounds.

http://www.guttmacher.org/sta...
    The GOP refuses to understand women are simply NOT going to allow government to strip away the rights they’ve been living with for decades. Most astonishing is the fact that Republican women are so lost in their own delusions, fear and racism that they don’t get they are voting against their own best interests. Much like a battered woman defends a physically abusive relationship.
  • drdos1943 chgo 2012/04/18 06:10:30 (edited)
    drdos1943
    The 916 bills is a misleading number. That's 916 bills nation wide, summing up all the bills together in each state....and what's more, not all those bills were introduced by the GOP.

Very few of the restrictions mentioned on the site are that restrictive. One of the few to which I object (and I am pro-life) is mandated ultrasounds. I believe that some judges have struck down that provision. However, since most abortions clinics (including Planned Parenthood) try to convince women to have an abortion....why should there not be those allowed to convince a woman not to have an abortion?

The question of providing insurance for abortions is quite simple. If the abortion is a necessary medical procedure, or the pregnancy was do to rape or incest, etc., insurance will pay for the abortion. If the abortion is unnecessary and a frivolous decision by the woman, then it will be on her dime. It will be considered unnecessary elective surgery.

No one should be forced to perform an abortion or participate in an abortion if he/she morally object. ..and there now are more who are pro-life compared to those who are pro-choice.

Most states have restricted all late term abortions, except when it is necessary for the physical health of the mother. Late term now in most states is considered beyond 20...

Most states have restricted all late term abortions, except when it is necessary for the physical health of the mother. Late term now in most states is considered beyond 20-22 weeks. Why that early? There are a number of children walking around now who were prematurely born at 22 weeks. Even many pro-choicers now belive that to terminate the pregnancy of a healthy mother and 22 weeks constitutes murder.
  • chgo drdos1943 2012/04/18 11:52:14
    chgo
    +1
    How many of the 911 bills were not written by a republican then? 2, 3?

And no one cares what your stance is on reproductive rights. In 20-30 years, the whole GOP party will be nothing but a third party.
  • drdos1943 chgo 2012/04/18 13:13:20 (edited)
    drdos1943
    Just one example of a restrictive abortion bill introduced by Democrats, not Republicans, is the Pregnant Women Support Act. I must agree that there are not too many more.

Most of the so-called "restrictive" 916 bills, either brought up or passed in the states, concerned those issues. Call them "a war on women" if you wish. My being pro-life has nothing to do with it. It seems that you may not be able to accommodate the fact that there are more Americans who are pro-life now than are pro-choice....and that number appears to be growing every year.
  • chgo drdos1943 2012/04/18 15:18:50
    chgo
    Blah, blah, blah. From all that ranting and rambling you did there, I stll noticed you've never answered my questiion. My question still remains. How many bills. are not republicans?
  • drdos1943 chgo 2012/04/18 22:52:05
    drdos1943
    You are correct. There are few if any significant bills introduced by Democrats to restrict abortions. That tells you something about the Democratic Party's moral turpitude to the right of life to a living fetus, with a heart beating,

You may also rant all you wish. Even though I am pro-life, I do not believe that human life begins at conception...and the law of the land permits abortions. Until before the third month, the fetus is just like a piece of meat. Check your biology class 101. After that, the development is such that a fetus, with today's technology, will survive outside the womb. At that point, an abortion is no less than murder. For the Republicans to introduce and pass bills preventing abortions after 20 weeks is commendable.

Democrats advocated that with late term abortions, where the fetus was partially born and its brains being sucked out, that if any survived (which some did survive due to a botched procedure) that the infant was left to die even while crying. You can find documentation of this all over the Net from nurses who were forced not to provide care for the dying infants.

Also, answer me one question. Why in almost every state when one murders a pregnant woman who is carrying one fetus, the state charges the perpetrator with a double murder, no matter at what development the fetus was in.
  • chgo drdos1943 2012/04/19 02:06:47
    chgo
    +1
    "....I do not believe that human life begins at conception."

I was wrong. There is hope for you.

"Why in almost every state when one murders a pregnant woman who is carrying one fetus, the state charges the perpetrator with a double murder, no matter at what development the fetus was in."

And?! That proves nothing. What you seem to not know is that laws of the courts =/= laws of science. Maybe you need a refresher course. For example, the governor of MA can sign a bill saying the Earth is over 6,000 years old and all grade schools should teach that. Is the Earth 6,000? No. So, because if both the governor signed a bill and the SCOTUS rule on a court case saying Earth is 6,000 years old, that doesn't mean the ruling or the bill is based on scientific accuracy. Do You get my point?
  • drdos1943 chgo 2012/04/19 09:40:51
    drdos1943
    Thank you for the "hope."...and I got your point. Perhaps there is hope for you too.

I agree. Just because a law is passed does not mean that the law is either just or scientifically accurate. You have to look at the principles and the mindset of those who passed the law....and then you have to look at what is practical reality...and that concept could apply to Roe vs Wade as well. Roe vs Wade was necessary to accommodate reality and to protect the health of women....no more back alley abortions using rusted metal clothes hangers.

The Democrats want unfettered abortions. The Republicans hypocritically want no abortions. I believe that they are both wrong.

I cannot continue this debate right now because in a couple of hours, we have to catch a plane to Las Vegas to attend a memorial service for a death in the family.

However, if our paths should ever cross again, I want to let you know that I am not a Republican. I am a Libertarian leaning conservative, and I am an activist for women's rights. Not only was I a college English and debate instructor, I was also a CEO in a company where I would not tolerate any kind of sexual discrimination. Salary and bonuses were determined by productivity....not sex....and if anyone (male or female) committed any kind of proven (not frivolous) sexual harassment, they were gone.

God Bless...if you are religious. Good Speed if you are not.
  • Grammar... chgo 2012/04/19 01:02:28
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    We can only hope (referring to your final statement).
  • chgo Grammar... 2012/04/19 11:54:39
    chgo
    But Democrats and the rest of America can make their voices at the voting booths this coming November. Hope is not gonna be enough.

2014/10/30 15:11:16