Is the War on Women Real or Manufactured?

Politics got personal on Wednesday when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen accused Mitt Romney's wife, Ann Romney, of having "never worked a day in her life." It moved Mrs. Romney to send her first tweet ever ("I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work"), setting off a debate over the decision to work or stay home. But The Christian Science Monitor is calling it a "fake" debate.

Ann told Fox News, "[Rosen] should have come to my house when those five boys were causing so much trouble, it wasn’t so easy. My career choice was to be a mother. And I think all of us need to know that we need to respect the choices that women make. Other women make other choices to have a career and raise a family, which I think Hilary Rosen has actually done herself. I respect that, that's wonderful... We have to respect women in all those choices that they make."

But Rosen is sticking to her guns, and responded to the criticism in a CNN editorial: "I have no judgments about women who work outside the home versus women who work in the home raising a family. I admire women who can stay home and raise their kids full time. I even envy them sometimes. It is a wonderful luxury to have the choice. But let's stipulate that it is not a choice that most women have in America today." We're not sure if Hilary Rosen or Ann Romney wins this debate, but that's not really the point. Do you think these kinds of feuds are real -- or just manufactured to get a vote in politics?

• Defend ... Ozymandias 2012/04/19 12:16:05
    Defend Western Civlization
    its obama giving 147 million dollars to hamas which wages a real war on women
  • Ozymandias Defend ... 2012/04/19 17:30:44
  • Defend ... Ozymandias 2012/04/22 11:38:48
  • Ozymandias Defend ... 2012/04/22 16:54:59
  • Defend ... Ozymandias 2012/04/22 17:14:07
    Defend Western Civlization
    I see so you hate the truth
  • Ozymandias Defend ... 2012/04/23 03:22:35
  • Defend ... Ozymandias 2012/04/23 10:25:20
    Defend Western Civlization
    you are filled with propaganda is Allen West and Herman Cain also racist for saying obama sucks as leader of the free world?
    the American Voter will be interested in your HATE of anybody who does not worship the ground obama walks on ]
    your RACE BAITING IS TREASONOUS
  • Ozymandias Defend ... 2012/04/23 16:12:23
  • Defend ... Defend ... 2012/04/24 01:00:51
    Defend Western Civlization
    i win again
  • FPSRules 2012/04/18 22:13:57
    Manufactured
    FPSRules
    100% invented by a venomous, evil regime bent on dividing America and having great success with the help of the mainstream media which is 90% Democrat Party cheerleaders.
  • redhorse29 2012/04/18 21:11:59
    Manufactured
    redhorse29
    The media and politicians love to USE women any way they can. To those seeking power women are an easy target and they seem willing to believe anything they are told that remotely appears to support them. They just love to be lied to.
  • Grammar... redhorse29 2012/04/18 23:38:03
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    ..ANY way they can get away with.
  • Grammar... redhorse29 2012/04/18 23:39:08
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    ...because the truth often sucks worse than being lied to.
  • Diane 2012/04/18 20:40:48
    Real
    Diane
    +6
    It is definitely real. The Republicans have passed bills in many states requiring transvaginal ultrasounds, allowing doctors to lie to women, repealing laws that guarantee equal pay for women, defunding Planned Parenthood, and some states passed Personhood laws that outlaw abortion even in the case of rape or when the mother's life is threatened as well as banning certain forms of birth control. Yes, Republicans are definitely waging a war on women.
  • Defend ... Diane 2012/04/19 12:19:08
    Defend Western Civlization
    Planned Genocide is a group of RACIST backed by the KKK
    this is the real war on women which liberal progressives are silent about

Woman Stripped and Paraded for Resisting Rape...
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/3...

Pak. Clerics Vow to Defeat Domestic Violence Bill...
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/3...

22-Year-Old Christian Beaten for Her Faith...
    http://www.catholicculture.or...
  • Mateusz Diane 2012/04/20 05:46:23
    Mateusz
    +2
    So... guaranteeing human rights for the most vulnerable class of people is a "War On Women"? Riiiiight.
  • Deb Mateusz 2012/04/30 19:22:56
  • pam bergren 2012/04/18 17:58:02
    Real
    pam bergren
    +8
    Well, I guess if you do not count that the GOP wants to get rid of Birth Control, wants to take away a Woman's Right to do what she wants with her uterus, Wants to take back the Lily Ledbetter Act which says women should have the same wages as men for the same work, etc, then I guess it is all just made up!!!!
  • Splashfairy 2012/04/18 17:28:51
    Manufactured
    Splashfairy
    Obama leads Romney regarding women by 12%...he did in '08. The Democratic contender has lead by that much since the 70's. So, it's a given but it doesn't mean that the Democrat candidate will win. Secondly, women have lost more jobs in the Obama economy than men. Romney is NOT going take away their contraceptives or their abortion. So, this is merely the Democrats grabbing at straws to make a case in an effort to galvanize their voter base and nothing else. Again, this kind of strategy gains coinage when the candidate in question does NOT have a credible record to run on.
  • pam ber... Splashf... 2012/04/18 17:59:58
    pam bergren
    +3
    Yu should do a litle Fact Checking , buddy, before making a fool of yourself in public. OH, and btw, Obama leads with females by 18% (EIGHTEEN) . You think females don't recognize what is being done to them?
  • Splashf... pam ber... 2012/04/18 20:54:52
    Splashfairy
    I believe my facts are correct. Maybe you should check your own. Some souces aren't as reliable as you think. Oh, btw, just WHAT is being done to women????
  • pam ber... Splashf... 2012/04/25 19:12:29
    pam bergren
    The fact that many states are going to ignore the Lily Ledbetter (equal wages for females) Act, mainly those with Republican Governors! There is more than just Santorrum looking at curbing or eliminating Birth Control ! The attack on Planned Parenthood---i.e. Teens and low income females who depend on them for education, contraception, Female tests, etc. Are you aware that there have been 916 different attacks on Women's rights by the Republians in the last 3 yrs? This---while they refuse to develop a Jobs bill or help fix the economy? You Think Romney is not going to March to the Party leadership that tells him to choose Extreme Radical Right wingers who want to do away with Roe v Wade? And NO, women have NOT lost more jobs during Obama----check it out instead of lying !
  • sodabox Splashf... 2012/04/19 04:01:31
  • cindy 2012/04/18 17:09:48
    Manufactured
    cindy
    It's a sham ..........
  • kelly 2012/04/18 17:03:34 (edited)
    Real
    kelly
    +7
    You people who can't see that the war on woman is in fact real need to ween yourself off Fox News and the drugster hypocrite Rush Limbaugh. It's fact that people who watch Fox are less factually informed than people who don't watch news at all.
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/04/18 15:54:44
    Manufactured
    Tannenberg1993
    +1
    Seems that way, at least. I interpret it as just another political front where the Republicans and Democrats fight for votes- when it comes down to election year, the two parties are practically identical and will point as many fingers as they can at whatever or whoever they can.
  • bennett... Tannenb... 2012/04/18 16:54:22
    bennett.dunn1
    Sounds about right.
  • sodabox Tannenb... 2012/04/19 04:01:05
  • moiraregis 2012/04/18 14:22:55
    Real
    moiraregis
    +8
    when the GOP starts going after planned parenthood and trying to truncate contraception and abortion accessibility for women, to say nothing of affordable gynecological care, which they certainly have in recent months, i would say YES, there sure is a war on women.

and when a one-percenter like ann romney starts talking about how hard it is to raise five boys, i have to agree with her--however, it's not nearly as hard when one has a retinue of nannies, governesses, maids, cleaning women, chauffeurs, valets, butlers, hairdressers, seamstresses and all other manner of servants at one's beck and call, plus access to the best health care money can buy, as i am sure a woman as wealthy as ms. romney has, then it's not nearly as hard work as that performed by a woman of low or average income who usually holds a job simultaneously--that is, if she can find one begrudged her by the "job creators" [for people in China and India] like the Romneys.

But these damn sheltered fools do this VERY much at their political peril--there's too many smart women out there not about to be taken in by this baloney. Keep it up, GOP! We'll be sure to be rid of many of you come November, which would be the best thing that could happen to this country at this point in history.
  • kelly moiraregis 2012/04/18 17:10:34
    kelly
    +2
    Said with honesty knowledge and eloquence.
  • Ozzyboy moiraregis 2012/04/19 02:36:51
    Ozzyboy
    All her help could not stand in for her MS treatments or cancer treatments. That was on top of raising five boys which includes making day to day decisions, nurturing them and being a Mother. You sound very shrewish and jealous, like rosen.
  • Defend ... moiraregis 2012/04/19 12:20:49
    Defend Western Civlization
    why is obama meeting with the Muslim brotherhood who count women as Property?
  • bettyboop 2012/04/18 14:03:19
  • Grammar... bettyboop 2012/04/18 23:51:53
    Grammar Freak
    Yeah, but with a hell of a lot easier ride than the middle-low income mother of five who has to count every penny, hope her kids get scholarships & grants for college because they just can't pull tuition together for all five (have you seen tuition hikes??)... or even three... & hopes to hell nothing happens to any of them because they'll lose everything they have in doctor or hospital bills if it does.

Can't talk about the low income woman using some form of contraceptive, because the Republicans want to take it away from her, whether she's married or not, & they don't want her to have access to abortion either.

So, since the world can't spin both ways at once, what the hell is the not-so-wealthy-mother-of-five supposed to do to make her life less stressful? Experience the dignity of work, I suppose... as if her income (77cents/$1) is really going to cover everything well enough to let her relax.

It isn't that Mrs. Romney hasn't had some form of work raising five kids, but to compare her stress & conditions with that of the average mother of five (or four or three or two or even one), is completely unrealistic. Her indignation is a joke.
  • Defend ... Grammar... 2012/04/19 12:22:10
    Defend Western Civlization
    Americans are not average
    its a LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE JIHADIST attacking WOMEN and obama who is meeting with Jew Killing WOMEN RAPIST terrorist
  • joe.astro Defend ... 2012/04/22 09:24:02
    joe.astro
    Sir, you are completely unhinged. You need to stop watching Fox News, and schedule an appointment with a therapist.
  • Defend ... joe.astro 2012/04/22 11:39:50
    Defend Western Civlization
    i see the truth hurts
    you have no clue
  • bettyboop Grammar... 2012/04/19 12:33:35
    bettyboop
    Motherhood is the hardest profession their is. Don't hate on Mrs. Romney because she choose a mate who could take care of her and the children she bought into this world, very well. I am certain being poor and single with 5 kids is much harder than being rich and married with 5 kids. I stopped at two children simply because I knew I would never be able to provide more children with a decent upbringing on mine and my husbands income.
  • Grammar... bettyboop 2012/04/20 12:26:51
    Grammar Freak
    I don't hate Mrs. Romney. I don't hate Mr. Romney. I dislike Mr. Romney's politics. I think that she has a completely different perspective on things than the average American. She certainly should be able to recognize that. Others can.

How did you "stop at two children"? You likely used a form of birth control. Romney is in favor of preventing low-income women from having that option.

Let's look at things from a financial perspective. Isn't it less expensive for the government as it is, to pay for birth control than it is to pay for kids?
  • bettyboop Grammar... 2012/04/21 15:00:02 (edited)
    bettyboop
    I had my tubes tied after the second son, while still in the hospital.

2014/10/01 04:17:16