Is the US Military similar to government welfare?

Mopvyzo 2012/05/14 21:37:54

• Denny 2012/05/15 18:01:27
    no
    Denny
    Big difference I brought up to my Colonel one day was Why do we work for the people and still pay taxes on the money we get??? He told me that he wanted the "right" to pay taxes. We do a job and get paid for it at very low wages. No it's not like welfare.
  • Katfish 2012/05/15 17:33:26
    no
    Katfish
    There is a vast quantity of wasted endeavers but the soldiers compensation is not welfare because the provide a service.
  • Odinsown 2012/05/15 13:35:13
    no
    Odinsown
    but we should spend less.
  • Steve 2012/05/15 06:39:52
    no
    Steve
    +1
    Though it does provide jobs to young adults who might otherwise not have a job.

But really now, are you TRYING to get yourself tarred and feathered here? It's not nice to diss those in service or veterans.
    no
    It has kept our country safe and continues to do so. The build up under Reagan closed the Cold War and now Obama and the dems want to re-ignite the cold war by allowing and encouraging a deficit based economy which crushed the old soviet empire from socialistic communism. Now Obama is moving and encouraging big government socialism when China and the russians have embraced more capitalism and will return to socialism when they achieve a lower deficit and can burden the people again.
  • Mark P. 2012/05/15 03:51:06 (edited)
    no
    Mark P.
    +2
    No...These men and women do a job for not much pay. The WORK...Its not a hand out.
  • sarah 2012/05/15 01:53:55
    no
    sarah
    +1
    i don't think so
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/05/15 01:35:14
    no
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +6
    Yeah, sure...one is physically, mentally and emotionally the toughest thing in the world and the other involves sitting on the couch watching Judge Judy! WTF is wrong with YOU?
  • Stryder 2012/05/15 01:06:12
    no
    Stryder
    +4
    Not in the least.
  • CHUCK 2012/05/15 01:01:11
    no
    CHUCK
    +9
    THE QUESTION IS AN INSULT TO THOSE WHO SERVE..

MARINES, MARINES
  • Gracie ... CHUCK 2012/05/15 01:36:19
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +3
    It's the ultimate insult! And they wonder why we consider liberals un-Patriotic! DUH!
  • sarah Gracie ... 2012/05/15 02:04:33
    sarah
    +1
    I'm a llberal and I don't think that way, I'm very patriotic, you make me just as sick as the person who made this question for gerneralizing . You guys think you are the only ones who care about this country.
  • Gracie ... sarah 2012/05/15 02:18:47
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    Well, I'm sorry but maybe you should be pissed with your fellow liberals who post this kind of crap. Loving your country means you want to preserve it and protect it. Massive spending does neither.
  • CHUCK sarah 2012/05/16 02:56:43
    CHUCK
    GOOD POINT..
  • MsTlynne Gracie ... 2012/05/15 04:25:43
    MsTlynne
    +1
    This proud liberal is US Army Retired. Think before you say something stupid.
  • Gracie ... MsTlynne 2012/05/16 00:47:43
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    That doesn't make that post any less stupid and insulting.
  • Boris Badinov 2012/05/15 00:55:07
  • beachbum 2012/05/15 00:11:16
    no
    beachbum
    +5
    Not hardly - our military work harder than congressional members, or just about any other DC resident - talk about gov't welfare ................
  • dave b 2012/05/14 23:53:57
    no
    dave b
  • carolynb 2012/05/14 23:50:57
    yes
    carolynb
    +1
    The military is socialism at its best. They get free healthcare. They get housing and still pay your electric in some bases. Everything is at a discount because they pay no taxes on post.
  • Stryder carolynb 2012/05/15 01:02:57 (edited)
    Stryder
    +6
    Free? Have you ever worked 12 hr days, 7 days a week for 45 straight days without a day off? You think that's free? That's a typical at-sea period for an aircraft carrier during a deployment. And just an fyi, thanks to the Obama administration, the tax exempt status on items such as cigarettes is going away. Soon they'll be paying full price on base just as they do off base.

Ever heard of anyone getting both their legs blown off working at a McDonald's?
  • carolynb Stryder 2012/05/15 13:32:54 (edited)
    carolynb
    I am sorry that you feel that way. I worked for 42 years and sometimes 2 jobs and got a paycheck, but my healthcare premiums were deducted. I bought a house and pay the payments, but never got free electric. I never got extra money for my housing either. Yes, you deserve everything you have and more for the dangerous job you have, but you also have free benefits. I lived in the military for years. When you take your family member to the doctor, for instance, you dont have to charge it against your leave, civilians do have to use their leave time. Sometimes, you spend the whole day at the appt and maybe even get the rest of the day off to care for the family member. My daughter is married to a soldier so I know what goes on. Sometimes, when you are not deployed, you go in for PT, come back home and stay there all day. Like I said, you deserve everything you get, but it is a socialistic program and that is what we are talking about.
  • Stryder carolynb 2012/05/15 20:17:39
    Stryder
    Sorry that I feel what way? Insulted?

When the benefits are part of your pay package it's not welfare or socialism. They're benefits that are more than earned for the sacrifice that all military, both active and veterans, have made.

You should ask your son-in-law if he feels as if he's earned his pay and benefits. I'm not sure what his rank is or how long he's been on active duty. But I'd be willing to bet that he'd adamantly disagree with you.
  • carolynb Stryder 2012/05/15 21:10:00
    carolynb
    You cons say free healthcare is socialist. You mean to say it isnt if certain people get it? My son-in-law dont agree on dadt either, but that doesnt make him right. He more than earned his money. He almost died in Afghanistan.
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/15 01:30:41
    RobHom
    +8
    The health care, the housing and such are not "Free". Those benefits are integral parts of the "pay package" that servicemembers receive.

Actually...you can buy most items at Wal-Mart cheaper than you can in a PX or Commissary.

In 1978...I was an E-6 Staff Sergeant and my base pay was $789.30, I lived in post quarters, and I got $30 a month for separate rations. Total: $813.30. As a Drill Sergeant in a confinement facility...I worked 6 and 7 days a week, up to 18 hours a day. My pay was taxed, federal income taxes and social security taxes were taken out. I was getting paid $27 a day.

When I was a civilian during a break in service from late 71 to early 74....7 years earlier, I made $7.50 an hour in construction... $300 a week for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. $1200 a month...for working far less time and a far less hazardous job at that.

You'll never get rich in the service.
  • Stryder RobHom 2012/05/15 01:49:53
    Stryder
    +4
    Thank you for your service, Rob. It seems as if the biggest critics of the military are always those who have never served.
  • RobHom Stryder 2012/05/15 02:35:23
    RobHom
    +3
    You're welcome!! For me it was a privilege to serve!!
  • Mark P. RobHom 2012/05/15 03:55:39
    Mark P.
    +2
    Thank you....
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/15 13:34:36
    carolynb
    It is a socialistic program. Sorry, if you disagree. I never said you could get rich off it, and it is the most dangerous job anyone can have.
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/15 21:55:49
    RobHom
    I fear you are clueless as to the meaning of the word "socialist". Do me a favor and explain to me, based upon the "definition" of "socialism" how you arrive at your opinion?

Definition of SOCIALISM
    1
    : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    2
    a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state
    3
    : a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done.

Actually, it is not the most dangerous job you can have...except possibly if you find yourself active in a war zone....
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/15 21:57:34
    carolynb
    I dont know. You tell me, how is Obama a socialist?
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/15 22:12:40
    RobHom
    Now you're obfuscating..... My question was simple, you should be able to answer it.

I never said Obama was a socialist.....
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/16 13:17:16
    carolynb
    +1
    Well, all the cons think so and call the healthcare govt healthcare when it is private insurance companies taking our money and paying out as little as possible for the services.
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/17 00:33:20
    RobHom
    I'm an extremely conservative person...though I think Obama has some strange leanings, and I disagree that military healthcare is socialist in nature.. But then again if you ask the cons who think so..you'll more than likely find that 100% of them never served a day in the military...so they are speaking falsely. Perhaps a survey of those people to see how many of them get "FREE" healthcare as part of their compensation package think its "socialist medicine" is in order. But more than likely they would answer if called on the carpet about it: They owe it to me.

Military healthcare is no socialized medicine, and the military is not a socialist organization. It is not capitalist either. Governments are socialist, not military units.

The fact that private insurance companies are hosing down their customers is a matter for the insurance commissioners of the individual states, and the people who purchase the insurance. If they don't approve of the level of service...cancel the service. Its that simple. And if enough people cancel their health insurance....the companies will either die or get their at together.
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/17 14:40:35
    carolynb
    Cancel their insurance? And what are they going to get to replace it? Just another insurance who will scam you. No, we need private insurance companies completely out of healthcare. Govt is socialist and so is free healthcare. I would rather have govt run healthcare for all like medicare.
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/17 19:05:53
    RobHom
    You obviously aren't well versed on the rules of supply and demand, or the fact that a customer has a number of methods of redress. The real problem is that most people are just pansies and won't kick the companies in the shins until they get what they paid for.

In my last position, prior to retiring, I was insured under BC/BS of IL, and had them for 6 years...never a problem and we used the insurance.

You have yet to make a case that the government is socialist, you just keep reiterating that opinion.

The Fed does not run medicare....they merely made the rules and fund it. They hire outside contractors to do all the work. In FL BS/BS is the contractor who "runs" medicare in FL...

I used to work in an industry where the employees got no cost health insurance...we paid for it though, indirectly by our productivity, as in my case...I was a District Manager and Salesman....my territories profits paid for the insurance. If I did not sell anything, then there was no money to pay the bills....

There is no such thing as a "free lunch".
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/17 19:22:23
    carolynb
    Medicare has a 3% administratives cost and private insurances have 30%. Medicare doesnt have to make a profit, whereas private insurances are there to make money. I have never asked or wanted a free lunch. I want to pay for my services, but I dont want to go bankrupt doing it, and that is what private insurances do for you. I have BC/BS. As the years went by, they paid less and less and I paid more and more. Now they are my supplement, and medicare is my primary. I pay more for them than I do medicare, and they pay 20%.
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/18 00:20:52
    RobHom
    I find it rather difficult to believe that BC/BS would do anything for 3%! They could make more than that running a sheister boiler room....selling "cancer policies" that cover only cancer of the big toe toenail.

One of the reasons that health insurance companies are paying out less is because while they have the obligation to pay the bills,
    They still require autonomy to function.

You should have started looking at your options long ago.

You mentioned your husband was a Veteran....have you ever done business with USAA? If not... check them out, they offer lots of different kinds of insurance as well as medicare supplements.
  • carolynb RobHom 2012/05/18 13:13:37
    carolynb
    +1
    BC/BS is the best insurance and I get it thru my years of govt service. I am no longer married and wasnt married long enough to get any benefits from the army. My daughter has USAA and it is the best insurance ever, and it is a govt insurance, isnt it?
  • RobHom carolynb 2012/05/19 00:28:10
    RobHom
    No, USAA is not government. It is the United Services Automobile Association. It started out many years ago as an insurance company for military officers at a time when it was difficult to get insurance. It is a wholly non-government privately held insurance company, that also has a Federal Savings Bank, a brokerage house, and other services. I have been with them for over 25 years now.

They have Medicare supplement policies as well. You might want to look into them. If your daughter qualified you should be able to as well. I have not had a single other insurance company beat their insurance rates for home or cars, and I do all of my banking with them as well. I pay no fees for ATM's, or to talk to anyone and the customer service is beyond comparison.

You might want to all them and see if you qualify for membership, and if so do some rate comparisons....
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/pag...

Frankly, everything about USAA is so good that I would rather pay them more for the service and benefits as well as customer service I get then go with someone cheaper!

Seriously, I have had insurance and banking as well as investments with them...and never have had a single problem in 25 years!

2014/10/23 20:48:39