Is the U.S. Constitution still relevant today as when it was first instituted?

Reykjavik 2012/07/31 12:13:52
I believe its even more relevant today then it ever was. There are many that say our Constitution is old fashion and out dated. We have improved our lives dramatically and no longer live under the living conditions our forefathers once did. The greatness of the U.S. Constitution was made to evolve so much as we evolve on the sense of technology and living conditions. It was written to protect man from himself. We as human beings haven't change much in our wicked ways....Therefore the Constitution will never be out dated as long as man remain the same.

• Icon 2012/08/01 03:45:53
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Icon
    +4
    The day that document stops being relevent is the day the relovution starts.

• Andrew Mitchell 2012/10/20 15:54:26
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Andrew Mitchell
    +1
    I feel that to really understand something, and make a decision about it, you must first know a little bit about it. The Constitution of our United States was written in 1787, but was ratified, or put into action, until 1788. There were 10 original amendments, and other the course of about 250 years there have been 17 more added. The constitution states the basic rights and privileges you have as a United States citizen. The Constitution was designed to accomplish two primary objectives: First, to institute a government that would effectively exercise those rights and privileges. Second, to protect the individual rights we have in the Declaration of Independence and also the Bill of Rights.
    The Constitution, I feel, is still very relevant today. It may even be more than before. I don’t see how you can make any sort of an argument against that statement. The Constitution is how we still interpret laws today. It has withstood the test of time and has served our country greatly for this long, and I think it will continue to do a great job till the zombies come. After that we will descend into anarchy and it will no longer be relevant. Small bands of uninfected people will form their own governments.
    The framers of the Constitution were brilliant people in my mind, because they i...

The framers of the Constitution were brilliant people in my mind, because they intentionally left it vague to allow it to change with the times. As the times changed the system of judicial review would have its way of interpreting it. The Supreme Court mostly are the people who deal with interpreting the Constitution, and using it in court cases. The separation of powers allows a balance so the Supreme Court can’t be unreasonable in their decisions.
    The Constitution is such a powerful document, that other countries have made similar documents. Benito Juarez in Mexico, Jose Rizal in the Philippines, and Sun Yat-sen in China have all model their freedoms around that which is in the constitution.
    A constitution should be something open to interpretation. Not a single person that was sitting in the room when this was being written knew what life was going to be like in 2012. That’s why they did not make the constitution very specific. These are some extremely smart and influential people in American history we are talking about, and the fact that they were able to write such an amazing document that has last all this time is just unbelievable.
  • john adems 2012/10/19 17:05:59
    Yes, it is relevant.
    john adems
    For the record..... the controversy with the circumcision and jews only happened because large amounts of Grown men converted to the faith..... their was not a problem for those who had it done at birth.
    If grown people who have never followed the law (not got circumcised) have a problem with the Constitution they can shut up and move to China...
  • paije 2012/10/08 18:01:25
    Yes, it is relevant.
    paije
    +2
    well i really do not know i bunch about the constitution, but i would like to learn more.
  • Reykjavik paije 2012/10/13 02:20:42
    Reykjavik
    you desire to learn is what will set you free.
  • its yo mamaa-___- 2012/10/08 17:34:09
  • Will 2012/10/05 16:12:21
    No, its old fashion.
    Will
    Circumcision. Jews.
  • katlynbales 2012/09/28 17:30:29
    Yes, it is relevant.
    katlynbales
    people are just rude
  • Eyedunno 2012/09/25 15:30:48
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Eyedunno
    I said yes, even though both answers are correct.

Of course the Constitution is old-fashioned. Federal government establishing a post office and post roads? Pfft.

The thing is, we need a constitution to clearly circumscribe the functions of government. To completely ignore the Constitution or treat it as "negotiable" or "a living document" is to have unlimited government, which is a recipe for tyranny. There is a procedure to amend the Constitution, and we need to think about using it, rather than just making crap up or using the general welfare or commerce clauses to say the federal government can do whatever the hell it wants. This is pretty much what has happened, unfortunately - most politicians in both parties treat their oaths of office as mere formalities and scarcely see the Constitution as anything other than something to turn to to complain only about unconstitutional bills they don't agree with while ignoring the planks in their own eyes.
  • Derbyhat 2012/09/17 16:55:12
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Derbyhat
    The Constitution is a guarantee to the people of the United States. Its only limits are on Government like the one we have today. We have freedom of Religion to practice or not our beliefs, even when our Government says we must do something against those values as our Government mandates it.

We have freedom of speech to tell this Government "NO" when they want to do something that is dangerous to our nation or does not make sense and impractical and even foolish like in this Government,

We have the freedom to vote as we choose our Government and correct our mistakes in judgement of past elections where we believed change was good, yet got a different breed of "clueless government knows best" as they wrote 2700 pages of healthcare to be backed by over 200,000 pages of regulation of which some violates other rights.

We also have the freedom to replace a government that spends a billion futures of people around the world by shaking hands with the radicals of religion who only views the United States and a free meal ticket. They can hardly wait until they can overthrow this once honored government and nation and force the world to take a giant step "Foreward" back into the dark ages and under the thumbs of monarchs who we can not vote out of office.

Whether or not you fully ag...

Whether or not you fully agree with its contents and protections, we have 50 days remaining to decide if keep and Constitution to limit it adverse impact on our lives and the free nations around the world. If we go further this government will have gone too far to save it or bail out the people who have been fleeced into the corrupt "Hope and Change" which has 'fundamentally changed this country" for the far, far worst!
  • MCRRachel 2012/09/13 00:05:38
    Yes, it is relevant.
    MCRRachel
    I believe the constitution has the potential of being relevant, because per the rules built around it when it was created, amendments are allowed and even recommended. Amendments were allowed because it's original creators knew that times would change, and that it would benefit the country for there to be a system allowing the document to change, too. Some examples of the keeping with the times our constitution has done include abolishing slavery, giving the right to vote to every citizen of the US, the prohibition, and then the revocation of the prohibition. The constitution has been brought up to date before, and I do agree that it could stand for some more bringing up to date, but for the most part it's stayed pretty relevant.
  • MsDianna 2012/08/15 15:45:29
    Yes, it is relevant.
    MsDianna
    +1
    without the Constitution we're doomed as a country.
  • vegan 2012/08/13 22:47:01
    No, its old fashion.
    vegan
    America isn't based like it used to be.
    It is corrupt and so very different. Although I do love America, I wish we would revert back to which we came.
  • mikeeonly 2012/08/05 06:43:03
    No, its old fashion.
    mikeeonly
    I'd like to think of it as relevant, but it is=outdated
  • Stevethinks 2012/08/04 05:46:34
    No, its old fashion.
    Stevethinks
    We have a constitution? Remove your rosy glasses, immediately. Please! Sorry, but it's been ripped asunder. It has holes large enough to drive my Avalon through. It's the nature of a constitution that you can't pick and choose. Executive Privilege and the privacy Act were the last nails in its coffin. What's that sound? O, it's just Jefferson turning in his grave.
  • buneter 2012/08/04 03:51:01
  • Icon 2012/08/01 03:45:53
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Icon
    +4
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 05:54:04
    Stevethinks
    Right, a revolution. I've read of them. That's where a group of folks decide that capitol punishment for differences in opinion, political or religious disagreements is unjustified. They then begin giving fiery speeches and when someone disagrees they shoot them in the f-----g head. Ha ha ha
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 06:23:30
    Icon
    Not quite you might want to do a bit more reading. It usually starts because people are sick and tired of getting treated like crap.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 06:35:31
    Stevethinks
    No, it takes a bit more than that or we would be at revolution now, wouldn't we.
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 06:39:58
    Icon
    +1
    There's usually a tipping point. You know like The Boston Masecre or the words "Let them eat cake."
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 07:05:52
    Stevethinks
    Other than the French government still fears the people, what benefit was there from all the killing and destruction. My point is nothing was solved by the revolution, other than the drunken orgy of decapitation of slews of people never given a fair trial. Now if that isn't treating people like crap what is?
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 07:17:53
    Icon
    Freedom isn't free. It's price has always been the lives of those who were willing to fight for it. America became a nation through war. Blacks gain there freedom after a War. Rights have to be fought for. It's very rarely that they are given away. People fought and died so that you and I can be free.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 07:42:20
    Stevethinks
    Give me a f-----g break. Are you free? In a revolution the middle class throws the lower class against the upper class and then a few of the middle class becomes the upper class.Where was the benefit? By the way, middle class income begins at $250,000 a year and the income of the rich begins at $5,000,000 a year; ask yourself where do you stand?
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 08:02:16
    Icon
    Am I?
    Am I free to drink if I'm under 21?
    Am I free to smoke pot if I want?
    Am I free to fly on a plane without being searched?
    Am I free to not a buy a service that I don't want?
    Am I free to marry who I want to?
    Am I free to keep the wages that I earned?
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 08:58:00
    Stevethinks
    You lost me there. I say no to drink, no to pot (too bad), no to searches, don't get the services, yes to marriage, no to wages; did I get them right? You said people died so you could be free, and I asked if you were free. Have you changed sides in this discussion? Or am I lost? Is this Kansas?
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 09:18:13 (edited)
    Icon
    Yep you're lost. Especially if you can't tell California form Kansas. LOL Every year I see some peice of legislation get passed that takes away our freedoms and intrudes in our personal affairs. People just accept it as okay because it's a law. Not all laws are fair. How is that we live in a country that says at 18 you're old enough to fight and die for your country, but not have a drink? How is that Marijuana is illigal when studies have shown it to have benificial properties while tacbacco has been shown to cause cancer and has no medicinal value whatsoever be legal? Why is that there is a Constitutional Ammendment that prohibits unwarranted searches and seizures but if we want to fly across the county we risk being put in jail if we decline a pat down? Why is that for the past 2 decades folks in DC have been talking about same sex marriage and yet no one really does anything? How is it that America existed for amost 90 years without an income tax?
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/05 01:02:14
    Stevethinks
    O, what an angry young man you are? Since when and how did I get the privilege of being the target of your anger? If it helps, I am here for you, but you're not coming to my home for dinner tonight, and I'm making spaghetti. Sorry!
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/05 08:07:29 (edited)
    Icon
    +1
    " He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." ~ Benjamin Franklin
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." ~ George Santayana

Not Anger just conviction.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/05 09:02:11
    Stevethinks
    Yes, both great quotes. This country is guilty, guilty, guilty.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/04 09:01:06
    Stevethinks
    Sir, being killed for a difference of opinion is being treated like crap. By the way how old are you?
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/04 09:21:51 (edited)
    Icon
    Sir, exactly what are you getting at? If you treat people like crap long enough eventually they get fed up and revolt. If enough people revolt it's called a revolution.
    Well I'm younger than 65 but old enough to know what I'm talking about. The American revolution wasn't about classes. It was about an unfair taxes.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/05 01:05:53
    Stevethinks
    +1
    I'll have to think about that one. It was about so many different issues. And I do agree, It wasn't about slavery. For now let's say it had something to do with greed.
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/05 16:46:57
    Stevethinks
    In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience. Oscar Wilde.
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/05 17:30:37
    Icon
    "At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you come again.
    Simpson s Apu
  • Steveth... Icon 2012/08/05 19:36:49
    Stevethinks
    If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism.
  • Icon Steveth... 2012/08/05 20:31:09
    Icon
    Is that another quote, or one of your own sayings?

Not sure if I agree with that one. Good people are ignored regularly while the bad ones garner the most attention. Just watch the evening news.
  • Daryl 2012/08/01 00:18:38
    Yes, it is relevant.
    Daryl
    +1
    I am making the constitution sexy again.
  • Steveth... Daryl 2012/08/05 01:08:35
    Stevethinks
    +1
    I've been looking at that statement for about 12 hours. I'm almost afraid to ask. OK I'm feeling brave. Art, how are you making the constitution sexy?
  • Daryl Steveth... 2012/08/06 01:06:42
    Daryl
    I wear the bill of rights on a tshirt and dance.

wear rights tshirt dance
  • Steveth... Daryl 2012/08/06 20:55:33
    Stevethinks
    Be still my heart.

2014/07/14 14:05:42