Is the US a beacon of democracy?

ana 2010/12/10 05:10:29
Not so says one of our closest Allie.

PARIS — The United States considers itself a shining beacon of democracy and openness, but for many Europeans Washington’s fierce reaction to the flood of secret diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks displays imperial arrogance and hypocrisy, indicating a post-9/11 obsession with secrecy that contradicts American principles.
While the Obama Administration has done nothing in the courts to block the publication of any of the leaked documents, or even, as of yet, tried to indict WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange for any crime, American officials and politicians have been widely condemned in the European news media for calling the leaks everything from “terrorism” (Rep. Peter T. King, Rep.-New York) to “an attack against the international community” (Secretary of State Hillary Clinton). Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates called the arrest of Mr. Assange on separate rape charges “good news,” while Sarah Palin called for him to be hunted as an “anti-American operative with blood on his hands” and Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor and Republican presidential candidate, said that he should be executed.
For Seumas Milne of The Guardian in London, which has shared the latest WikiLeaks trove with The New York Times, the official American reaction “is tipping over towards derangement.” Most of the leaks are of low-level diplomatic cables, he noted, while concluding: “Not much truck with freedom of information, then, in the land of the free.”
John Naughton, writing in the same British paper, decried the attack on the openness of the Internet and the pressure on companies like Amazon and eBay to evict the WikiLeaks site. “The response has been vicious, coordinated and potentially comprehensive,” he said, and presents a “delicious irony” that “it is now the so-called liberal democracies that are clamoring to shut WikiLeaks down.”

&hp

• Stormy 2010/12/11 00:12:17
    Stormy
    +1
    Perhaps America is the mal-function red light telling the world what democracy looks like when it goes seriously wrong! More like. When the corporations start running the government for themselves instead of for the people. The tails been wagging the dog.
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2010/12/10 14:10:00
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    Shining beacon ? Hardly. We have 2 million people in prison. We support despotic regimes throughout the world. We torture. We kidnap and imprison people without due process. Did I miss anything ?
  • Stormy Che Gue... 2010/12/11 00:15:16
    Stormy
    +1
    How about usurping tax payer money to wage crazy useless wars bankrupting the country and killing innocent men women and children?
  • bob 2010/12/10 13:51:31
    bob
    +1
    lol "USA the shining beacon of democracy". HA makes me laugh if it was "USA the shining beacon of (many not all) duped sheep thinking they live in a democracy" maybe i could have taken it more seriously.
  • Foxhound BN0 2010/12/10 13:27:24
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    Yep. Bush and his idiot gang of RINOs all but destroyed personal freedom in this country. America is not the world's ruler, or its police. The military industrial complex is seducing our youth to believe otherwise. "Think, lil Jonny, you can sit here in this air conditioned room and crush "the enemy" with a joystick, and save America!"

Was Pac-man merely a recruiting device to find kids who could dodge the most bullets? Was Tetris just a tool to find kids that were really good at quickly and efficiently loading cargo into aircraft? Is Halo....
  • SukkiBelle 2010/12/10 13:22:24
    SukkiBelle
    America being the beacon of democracy I have never believe that. I think that people who think so highly of this country are fools. Just look at the teabaggers and tell me that's not a nest of fools? They actually believe people like beck and hanndity. Wikileaks is TRANSPARENCY, isn't that what Obama ran on, why should he shut them down? Oh I forgot, he maybe go back on that campaign promise too. They got us behind the eight ball. wikileaks transparency obama ran shut forgot campaign promise ball
  • mrdog 2010/12/10 11:02:13
    mrdog
    Actually one could say.... "private cables".... when i written a letter to a friend it is private but not secret... it is not attended for another person....and it should remain private...

That is difficult to understand? Hello... bark
  • bob mrdog 2010/12/10 13:56:05
    bob
    It would be difficult to understand if you were an employee and i was your boss and the letter was between you and the employee of the people in another country and you were writing the letter on work hours and the content was not a private matter!

Legend:
    You = government official
    I = the american people (whom are the employers of the government so in effect the officials as well)
    letter = diplomatic cables
  • mrdog bob 2010/12/10 14:37:50
    mrdog
    +1
    Don't think you understand diplomatic cables... so no need to explain...

good luck, bark
  • The Cog 2010/12/10 05:25:51 (edited)
    The Cog
    +2
    With Julian Assange currently awaiting extradition to Sweden, and onwards from there to one of the secret prisons of the United States, you could do worse than to spare a few minutes of your time to hear what the man himself has to say about the struggle for freedom, truth and justice:

We are about to be complicit in a miscarriage of justice, and it is happening right in front of our eyes. The question is, what are you going to do about it?
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2010/12/10 05:11:57
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +2
    We live under an illusion. We live under a dictatorship and people still don't get it.
  • ana The Gov... 2010/12/10 05:17:21 (edited)
    ana
    +4
    True dat,We are getting closer to be a Tyrannical undemocratic fascist state than ever before.Little by Little we are losing whats left of our freedoms and privacy,which seems to be OK with the right,but it is amazing that we also want to try and dictate to the International community like a International Bully.
    Our leaders are drunk on extreme arrogance
  • The Gov... ana 2010/12/10 18:19:26
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +1
    I do not understand the rights thinking.. I do not understand the lefts thinking.. They both are easily sucked in to a bigger government.. It is boggling my mind.

I stand with the Constitution.. Even the parts that do not always work in my favor.. I know that in the long run it will be fine.. but now, I question it all.

2014/10/22 07:57:54