Is the "Stand Your Ground Law" a Good Law or a Bad Law?

Manuel 2012/03/27 17:49:19
It is a good law and here's why.
It is a bad law and here's why.
  • I wrote this post to show what I think is the pros and cons of this law...I point out things that went on in this Martin and Zimmerman case and made conclusions basis on everything so far that has been revealed...So read it and leave your answers...on what it's a good or bad law..
  • No
    matter what the right-wing legal gun owners conservatives try to swing it
    and skew the facts...Zimmerman got out of his car and approached Trayvon
    Martin after authorities told him not to, boom ! That should have closed the case right there and booked Zimmerman for murder...

Zimmerman had no right to do that. That along makes him the aggressor.....and Zimmerman's story keeps
    changing...

and I bet that the original police report is
    completely different and now altered to fit Zimmerman's new testimony being his father is some kind of Judge.

This nonsense happen to me in my early 20's... in court the police claims
    on me were lies...Thank God I had a copy of the original report and showed it to
    the Judge - and I doubt if the police gave a copy of original police
    report to this teen's family that night -....in my case because I had that
    original report which was totally different from their report... she dismissed the case...and slammed the cops with
    fines...

• you guys who defend Zimmerman got to be kidding... The stand your ground
    law makes it easy under the right conditions for anyone to kill anybody
    and claim self defense....if this law wasn't around...Zimmerman would
    have never got of of his car...period!...
  • We can thank J. Bush for giving
    evil Floridians a license to kill...this law makes open season on
    anybody...it's a dangerous and ridiculous LAW!...Because it now appears in Florida you can kill anyone under the right conditions and circumstances and claim self defense... This is what Zimmerman mostly likely took a vantage of...
  • So?...is it time for Florida to get rid of this law?...

• Q 2012/03/27 18:35:45 (edited)
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    Q
    +6
    It being used as a defense by Zimmerman makes me have my doubts about it. We had an incident locally where a drunk young man was shot through the door after knocking loudly on his neighbors door at three am by mistake, the shooter used the new Castle law as a defense and was never charged.

• kenartell@yahoo.com 2013/07/21 15:49:03
    It is a good law and here's why.
    kenartell@yahoo.com
    one of the reasons for this stand your ground law is due to criminals breaking in to homes or robberies on citizens, when a citizen fought back and used a weapon the hurt the criminal the criminal would sue the victim and win. The law is designed to take absurd rights that criminals have been exploiting and strengthen the rights of citizens that become victims.The law is not perfect but works a lot better for victims to defend themselves and has reduced crime by leveling the playing field.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/04/07 00:44:34
    It is a good law and here's why.
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    Absolutely. Every State should make it a law.
  • Manuel jumpboo... 2012/04/17 03:12:47
    Manuel
    As long as they make it equal for folks that live in all the inner cities in the U.S. to walk around` with concealed guns...
  • jumpboo... Manuel 2012/04/17 04:12:55
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    sure.
  • Manuel jumpboo... 2012/04/17 15:14:47
    Manuel
    but they won't....you know that...lol
  • hisomouth 2012/04/06 21:06:28
    It is a good law and here's why.
    hisomouth
    Beats Fl old law that made you let them kill you before you could do anything.
  • Manuel hisomouth 2012/04/17 03:18:17
    Manuel
    As long as I have a conceal gun to defend my self from a racist cop or some one like Zimmerman that profiles me and get's ready to kill me because of how I look and what I wear... I would gladly shoot first in these situations knowing that the Stand your Ground law protects me as well...
  • hisomouth Manuel 2012/04/17 22:36:25
    hisomouth
    You can have your gun in Florida as long as you have a concealed weapons permit. Or if you rather you can display it on your gun rack in your truck.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/04/03 05:14:58
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    It's merely a license to kill.
  • Sarcast... Bibliop... 2012/04/27 13:50:38
    SarcasticB*tch
    how can you say that when that’s basically what war is? A license to kill our enemies, people that WANT to cause bodily harm to us?
    **im doing a debate on this for my college english class, i need practice. lol
    not this case specifically, but the law.
  • kudabux 2012/04/02 20:05:52
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    kudabux
    +2
    It is a license to kill.
  • Manuel kudabux 2012/04/03 03:46:09
    Manuel
    +1
    it can be looked at in that way...
  • boots 2012/04/02 00:44:25
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    boots
    +3
    I have no issue with protecting yourself and even using deadly force that being said if you go looking for trouble then it is no longer self defense it is murder .
    Zimmermen needs to be in prison .
  • Manuel boots 2012/04/03 03:46:51
    Manuel
    the second he got out of the car...it was over for him...agreed...
  • kenarte... Manuel 2013/07/21 23:59:44
    kenartell@yahoo.com
    +2
    bad moves made by Martin and Zimmerman but when Martin got on top broke Zimmermans nose and then banging his head on the ground, bad situation bad result. The police had been called but were 5 minutes to late.
  • Alvin 2012/04/02 00:40:10
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    Alvin
    +3
    It gives too wide a degree of wiggle room for people to do what they want to do and then claim self-defense. If you are armed in the first place, you don't have to worry about people getting in your face, unless you get into theirs first.
  • Ryan Alvin 2012/04/02 19:19:05
  • Sarcast... Alvin 2012/04/27 13:52:12
    SarcasticB*tch
    +1
    did you know that the law states that if the attacker is provoked by his/her victim, then the law protects the attacker?
    it says that the victim cannot provoke the attacker in any way, by egging him on.

• Builder 2012/04/01 18:07:29
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    Builder
    +3
    I think anybody that has seen me on here know that I will say it's a bad law!
  • Ryan Builder 2012/04/02 19:20:27
    Ryan
    So what about federal law?

Federal Common Law also says there is no duty to retreat.

Is that also a bad law?
  • Manuel Ryan 2012/04/03 03:49:34
    Manuel
    +1
    the law is not the problem...it's how people like`Zimmerman interpret them...
  • Larse Morrison 2012/03/31 15:01:16
    It is a good law and here's why.
    Larse Morrison
    +1
    The rest of the world is watching you folks, and we're not impressed. Instead of trying to figure out how to reduce the national debt, your politicians are letting special interest groups show you how to kill people for no good reason and get away with it. Maybe it's time to take a step into the 20th century (no, that's not a typo).
  • Manuel Larse M... 2012/04/02 00:05:26
  • Alvin Larse M... 2012/04/02 00:41:35
    Alvin
    I am sorry, but are you sure you selected the right option?
  • Dagon 2012/03/29 16:41:45
  • Manuel Dagon 2012/04/02 00:10:02 (edited)
    Manuel
    +1
    yes they should...but if they are the ones approaching the one's who are walking away from them with concealed knife or a gun then stab or shoot and say they are claiming self defense from the person that was walking away from them...then they are doing it all wrong....they are breaking the stand your ground law...
  • Dagon Manuel 2012/04/02 01:40:53
  • Copenhagenpimp 2012/03/28 14:38:15
    It is a good law and here's why.
    Copenhagenpimp
    This law was approved in the Florida congress by a 92- 0 and 83- 20 vote. Blaming Bush for this law is ignorant. This was lobbied for by the citizens of Florida because people who had shot criminals in self defense where being tried for manslaughter and sued in civil court for wrongful death of CRIMINALS.

I am going out on a limb here and saying Zimmerman was in the right, but honestly I have no idea. I wasn't there. My decision is based on a number of conclusions:
    > Zimmerman got beat up
    > He had grass stains on his back
    > He had a bloody face/ nose
    > Witnesses have come out and said he was returning to his vehicle when he got attacked by Martin.
    > A 6 foot black man in a hoodie at night in Florida in certain neighborhoods is suspicious. That might sound wrong, but it's the truth. If I saw a white guy in certain neighborhoods I would say the same thing.

Your personal experience aside, not all cops are bad. The facts of that night are not known by the general public and making a decision either way as to the guilt or innocence of Zimmerman are beyond yours and my scope of knowledge. My suspicions are based on knowledge gleaned from the news being released. I could be wrong but so could the rest of you who want to judge Zimmerman for the little bit of information that has been released.

Let your hate mail begin now.
  • Manuel Copenha... 2012/04/02 00:20:04
    Manuel
    +2
    lets try to educate you.....people have a right to defend themselves....but if they are the ones approaching the one's who are walking away from them with concealed knife or a gun then stab or shoot and say they are claiming self defense from the person that was walking away from them...then they are doing it all wrong....they are breaking the stand your ground law...

The racist issue is a civil matter if there is one...I think there is one but that not what this case is about ....Zimmerman lost his right to the stand your ground law the minute he got out of his car and approach the teen....That is what this is really all about....
  • Copenha... Manuel 2012/04/02 16:26:03
    Copenhagenpimp
    Most of the reports now say Zimmerman was returning to his vehicle when he was attacked.

I still cannot see Zimmerman as the bad guy here. Remove race from the issue. He didn't even know he was black until the 911 dispatcher asked.

1) The neighborhood had a rash of burglaries.
    2) The neighborhood established a "Neighborhood Watch"
    3) Zimmerman expressed his concerns about a young man wandering the area in the dark, in the rain, with no clear motive.
    4) As a part of the Watch, Zimmerman called the police to address the issue.
    5) The Dispatcher asked him for a description causing Zimmerman to get close enough to list identifying characteristics, young, male. 6 foot, medium to large build, wearing jeans and a hoodie Dispatcher asks- "what color is he... white, black, Latino..."
    6) When the dispatcher recommended he return to his vehicle, by recent reports and accounts, he was doing just that.

Thank you for the attempt to educate me. I hope my reply was helpful in continuing the education lesson.
  • Manuel Copenha... 2012/04/03 04:01:37
    Manuel
    number one....Zimmerman painted a false view of this kid to police...he said this kid is up to or looks like trouble and is hanging out...Not true...the kid was walking back to his Dads house and not up to trouble...

Number Two Zimmernman made it sound like the kid was a grown adult...another lie...

Number Three...Zimmernman got out of his car...that ended this Stand your ground law for him... Zimmerman wasn't seen walking back to his car with the kid chasing him...the only one wittness said they were both on the ground and the teen was on top of him...

now a fourth one for me is...if this wittness seen this fight...it kind of hard that this wittnesses didn't see the shooting...

And your 6th answer is bogus....because he was his car when he was talking to the 911 dispatcher ..it was before the confortation he had with Martin...he was told to not follow him ....
  • Ryan Manuel 2012/04/02 19:23:33
    Ryan
    +1
    What is you point here?

If the attacker acts as your story says, they have not acted in self defense.

So the law doesn't protect them.

If that is the case why is it a bad law?
  • Something Sea 2012/03/28 06:30:24 (edited)
  • Manuel Somethi... 2012/03/28 06:54:30
    Manuel
    +1
    what a silly worthless rant....please do try shorting it and make a real point...
  • Somethi... Manuel 2012/03/28 06:57:58 (edited)
    Something Sea
    Nah, I found it worthwhile. I've posted it to another site, and I plan on making it a video. I didn't realize I could be somewhat coherent with that long of a string.

Or: why speak about one particular law if they're all bunk; and then, why not talk about why and how they're all bunk?
  • Manuel Somethi... 2012/04/02 00:25:02
    Manuel
    lets try to let you know what this topic is about.....people have a right to defend themselves....but if they are the ones approaching the one's who are walking away from them with concealed knife or a gun then stab or shoot and say they are claiming self defense from the person that was walking away from them...then they are doing it all wrong....they are breaking the stand your ground law...

• Pat 2012/03/28 04:50:26
    It is a bad law and here's why.
    +3
    I think it was an unnecessary law. If you are attacked or if someone invades your home any harm that comes to that criminal would be considered self defense. The "Stand Your Ground Law" has left it wide open. All you have to say is that you thought your life was in danger and you get off. It should be repealed.
  • Herbtheman 2012/03/28 03:09:41 (edited)
    It is a good law and here's why.
    Herbtheman
    If a thug attacks you on the street you should be able to defend yourself and not worry about being arrested. Its about time law abbiding Americans have some rights like the thugs do.
  • Manuel Herbtheman 2012/03/28 06:24:45
    Manuel
    +2
    but what is to stop a law abiding American from abuseing this type of law?...Law abiding Americans sin like everybody else...
  • Sarcast... Manuel 2012/04/27 14:04:05
    SarcasticB*tch
    +1
    so then why have laws?
    no law stops anyone from doing what they want.
    tell me you didn't drink when you were under legal age
    tell me you've never gone over the speed limit.

Laws are abused all the time.
    This law happens to protect the innocent when in harm's way.

2014/04/23 09:50:44