Is the NRA developed “Stand your ground laws” just a gimmick so the Gun manufacturers can sell more firearms?

bob 2012/04/16 14:02:44
The NRA developed “Stand your ground laws” is just a gimmick so the Gun manufacturers can sell more firearms
The NRA developed “Stand your ground laws” is not just a gimmick so the Gun manufacturers can sell more firearms
Mitt Romney support the Stand your ground Laws, even though he can't hit the side of a barn and does not own a gun
When Stand your ground laws fails because the law is not applied equally to African-Americans

• DeborahLakeHelen 2012/04/16 14:16:19
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +9
    The "Stand Your Ground" laws are on the books in over 20 states. It means you can use Deadly Force by ANY means you have available, a gun, knife, ball bat, brick... whatever. It's intended to give citizens who are NOT in the process committing any legal act to defend themselves from another individual who is threatening to do great bodily harm to them or another person.

• Candace Washington 2012/04/18 02:19:35
    Candace Washington
    +1
    i don't know.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/04/17 02:43:43
    DuncanONeil
    This question is the febrile imaginings of bob!
  • bob DuncanO... 2012/04/20 16:06:37
    bob
    Ah some more Fake GOP OutRage
  • DuncanO... bob 2012/04/21 02:42:04
    DuncanONeil
    Go back & read my response to you from the other two questions.
  • Ryan 2012/04/16 17:00:29
    The NRA developed “Stand your ground laws” is not just a gimmick so the Gun m...
    Ryan
    +3
    The law doesn't even mention guns once. It applies equally to any force that has a decent possibility of killing the other person.

Under this law you could in fact drop a piano on them and be covered just as much as if you shot them.

The passing of the law didn't affect gun sales.

What the hell are you even talking about here Bob?
  • Deborah... Ryan 2012/04/16 18:53:23
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    I know a few people I'd like to drop a piano out a window on. That might me a little hard to 'splain. LOL
  • Ryan Deborah... 2012/04/16 20:34:17
    Ryan
    +1
    Yeah not something you'd be able to do often.
  • Deborah... Ryan 2012/04/17 15:04:43
    DeborahLakeHelen
    Right. lol
  • EdVenture 2012/04/16 15:48:02
    EdVenture
    +1
    IMO the NRA is a mouthpiece for the gun manufacturers industry and their special interests. I believe it has drifted from its mission in that it has allowed itself to become a political platform as opposed to an educational, promotional platform. I don't see any likelyhood or credible effort to take away our right to bear arms. Its just being exploited as a wedge issue (for political purposes) by inciting an un-necessary elevated vigilance, which may comie back to bite the membership in the A??. I'm not qualified to pass judgement on the wording and interpretation of the statute however, if it is flawed and encourages confrontation on the back of hatred then shame on the NRA and the legislators responsible for it. This doesn't meet the resume standard if that is the case. regards.
  • frank 2012/04/16 15:29:34
    frank
    +2
    I do not need the “Stand your ground laws", if you break in to my house I will kill you. I believe that part of the reason this was put on the books was that someone would break in to home and be wounded by the home owner then he would turn around and sue the victim.
  • Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/04/16 15:00:13
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Nope..."Stand Your Ground" Laws is for when "deadly force" (AKA shooting the perp) were put in effect to protect a homeowner from the legal ramifications from a self defense shooting.

BTW Zimmerman's lawyer is going to use the that law to make a Pre-Trial Motion to Dismiss.And if the points that if Zimmerman was in a defensive position & feared for his life.The judge may have no chose but to dismiss the charges & set Zimmerman free!
  • Stevern... Stevern... 2012/04/16 15:13:40 (edited)
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    One more thing.These "Stand Your Ground" Laws are not necessary to help increase private gun sales.The election of Obama has seen gun & bullet sales "go through the roof" !
    http://www.time.com/time/spec...

http://www.northjersey.com/ne...
  • nverumind 2012/04/16 14:49:01
    nverumind
    +2
    the Stand your ground law does not strictly mean defendly yourself "by" firearm per say..it was created for the protection from unjust prosecution of a person in a circumstance that an assailant comes into your home and/or attacks you with intent to harm or kill you. Although there is an exception to the law ,when in public if a person is attacked and defends themselves with a firearm That person must be carrying the firearm in a legal manner, whether concealed or openly.
  • j2 2012/04/16 14:30:08
    j2
    +5
    These laws have nothing to do with gun sales.

Stand your own ground laws were developed in response to aggressive prosecution of clear cut cases of self defense AND civil injury or wrongful death suits following those same cases.

It's bad enough to be placed in a situation where you have to defend yourself without being prosecuted for your success. Pouring salt in the wound is having your attacker or their next of kin sue you for not being a compliant victim and having to spend huge sums in the process.
  • bob j2 2012/04/16 16:24:46
    bob
    so the right to murder law has nothing to do with gun sales... yea yea right right..
  • Ryan bob 2012/04/16 16:42:47
    Ryan
    +1
    How is it a right to murder? Please list out anything in the law that comes close to saying that?

You realize the requirements to use deadly force for defense in Florida with Stand Your Ground, and New Jersey without it are almost identical word for word?

Florida, "reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another"

New Jersey, "reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm"

Only real difference is New Jersey doesn't let you protect your wife or kids. Well that and if you KNOW you can "avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating," you have to do that instead.
  • j2 bob 2012/04/16 16:44:10
    j2
    +1
    Bob, The right to self defense has nothing to do with committing murder, nor explicitly related to use of a gun. One may defend him or herself with any means available.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2012/04/16 14:24:37
    themadhare ~IJM
    +3
    ridiculous
  • zbacku 2012/04/16 14:20:14
    zbacku
    +7
    Stand you ground laws help the Citizens of the United States protect their lives and the lives of their loved ones from the actions of animals that would kill and maim.
  • bob zbacku 2012/04/16 14:25:23
  • zbacku bob 2012/04/16 14:30:00 (edited)
    zbacku
    +6
    I will KILL anyone that attacks my family. I will KILL anyone that wants to harm my family.

Let me repeat. I will KILL anyone that wants to take my life away. PERIOD.

I will KILL them with a gun or my hands. What ever I have will be used to KILL those that would attack me and my loved ones. They forfeit their right to life or any other right they think they may have if they ATTACK my family.
  • EdVenture zbacku 2012/04/16 15:49:58
    EdVenture
    Are you a proud member and card holder of the NRA?
  • zbacku EdVenture 2012/04/16 16:19:37
    zbacku
    +1
    No, I am a proud American that would defend my family against any animal that would attack us.
  • EdVenture zbacku 2012/04/16 17:05:47
    EdVenture
    That "would" or does? sounds speculative, Let me ask you, IF (emphasis) in the event you you shoot and kill or permanently debilitate an innocent by-stander or made a mistake and killed a non-attacker that was standing his ground, what should happen to you?
  • zbacku EdVenture 2012/04/17 04:19:45
    zbacku
    What if's????????
    What don't you understand about my defending my life and my family's?
  • EdVenture zbacku 2012/04/17 14:47:25
    EdVenture
    I guess its the way u explain your legal right to defend yourself. It sounds like a threat coming from rage and not a discussion. I don't no anybody that wouldn't use any method to protect their family. On the other hand, I wouldn't feel comfortable thinking trigger-happy people were packing. Sorry if you do not agree.
  • Ryan bob 2012/04/16 16:45:12
    Ryan
    +1
    How about you read what the law says, and stop listening to what your overlords tell you it says.
  • ordman 2012/04/16 14:19:23
    ordman
    +8
    All U.S. citizens have rights. If you place your hands upon me, my family, or my property then you forfeit yours because you have threatened mine.
  • bob ordman 2012/04/16 14:25:47
  • Ryan bob 2012/04/16 16:46:48
    Ryan
    +2
    Please show me the text that causes this problem.

I've asked repeatedly and you ignore it.

Maybe your fear of facts prevents you doing research?
  • whitewulf--the unruly mobster 2012/04/16 14:19:01 (edited)
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/04/16 14:16:19
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +9
  • bob Deborah... 2012/04/16 14:26:32
  • whitewu... bob 2012/04/16 14:38:47
  • Deborah... whitewu... 2012/04/16 18:38:10
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    Ghetto Thugs, is what I call them.

armed citizen
  • Deborah... bob 2012/04/16 18:36:52
  • EdVenture Deborah... 2012/04/16 16:10:44
    EdVenture
    +1
    Great interpretation and knowledge of the law, now its "threaten" that justifies deadly force. And judging from the raves you have there are more of u out there.
  • Deborah... EdVenture 2012/04/16 18:42:12
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    Thank you. "Threaten that justifies deadly force" can be ANYTHING that makes you believe that other person is going to bring you physical harm. It's a great law in this world we live in. There are far more predators of all kinds than there ever have been, and it's not going to get better until Jesus comes back and rattles a few cages.
  • Ron_Dayvoo 2012/04/16 14:16:03
    Ron_Dayvoo
    +6
    It was the States who implemented Stand your ground laws.

The laws are in reference to self defense using ANY AND ALL MEANS to protect oneself from an attack or life threatening situation.
  • bob Ron_Dayvoo 2012/04/16 14:26:52

2014/04/19 17:10:23