Is the Media Ignoring the 9/11 First Responders Bill?

Politics 2010/12/20 14:00:00
We've certainly heard a lot lately about what the lame-duck congressional session has been up to: "don't ask, don't tell," the DREAM Act, the START Treaty and, of course, tax cuts. But comedian Jon Stewart thinks the media is giving one particular story the short shrift: the 9/11 First Responders bill, which was blocked recently by Senate Republicans.

"Before we go, I want to talk one last time about something called the Zadroga bill. There was an NYPD detective who died in 2006 from respiratory illness thought to be caused by the dust he inhaled while working at Ground Zero after 2001. This bill would provide $7 billion in medical and financial benefits for Ground Zero workers who get sick, and they're going to pay for it by closing a corporate tax loophole.

"It's a win-win-win-win, just f------ do it!! The House passed it. The House of Representatives passed it, and it would pass in the Senate, if it came to an up-or-down vote. They have more than the 50 votes they need. But the Senate Republicans have filibustered it, won't allow the bill to come up for a vote ...

"Apparently, the party that turned 9/11 into a catchphrase are now moving suspiciously into a convenient pre-9/11 mentality when it comes to this bill.

"What's more, none of the three broadcast networks have mentioned any of this on their evening broadcasts for two and a half months ...

"This is an outrageous abdication of our responsibility to those who were most heroic on 9/11. You know what, I hate to say this. This is a job for Fox News, the nation's leading source of 9/11-based outrage. They always fight to make sure that 9/11 is appropriately observed.

"Yet, there was one network that gave the 9/11 responders story the full 22 minutes of intense coverage that it deserved. But that network, unfortunately, was Al-Jazeera! Our networks were scooped with a sympathetic Zadroga bill story by the same network that Osama bin Laden sends his mix tapes to! This is insane! I would like to see one of these Senators have the b---- to explain why somehow getting a tax cut extension for wealthy Americans is more important than suffering Ground Zero workers."

Read More: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-is-justifia...

• Orangedragan 2010/12/20 14:42:54
    Yes, the media is ignoring the 9/11 Bill
    Orangedragan
    +11
    Say what you will about Jon Stewart not being a real reporter because he's a comedian, he knows what he is talking about. Especially about this.

• gary schunk 2011/01/05 04:50:51
    gary schunk
    i hate Jon Stewart he's a pure left wing stubborn idiot. He praises democrats for pushing the 9/11 bill. What he doesn't tell you is the amount of pork these heartless congressmen of the democratic party loaded into this bill. Now I'm all for giving our heroes hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for their medical bills they damn right deserve it. but when you take your greedy democratic hands and start writing down personal expenses into the bill. then blame republicans for not passing your multi-million dollar paycheck to a community college in new york instead of a scholarship for the children of the first responders or that . you deserve to be killed. I believe that America is getting dumber and dumber by the moment how people believe anything this comedian says HE HAS WRITERS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
  • ValorNET 2010/12/24 04:35:32 (edited)
    ValorNET
    They purposefully ignore anything to do with 9/11 at any cost.
    Why? Because THEY KNOW THE TRUTH and are AFRAID OF IT.
  • NYC Firedog 2010/12/21 10:12:04
    NYC Firedog
    +1
    I've been to 5 funerals, all cancer, Brothers in their 50s, one 40s, who died since 9/11. And I'm friends with a mason I met in the years after 9/11 who hopped on a Staten Island Ferry on his own right when it hit, and is now suffering from Mesothileoma.

I have a childhood friend who I also worked with on the job, and whose father worked with mine, in the same house he is in, and where my son now works, who is dying right now as I write this from pancreatic cancer.

I stayed away from this post because it is too painful for me to open up, and it is also a deep pain and disappointment that conservative representatives have NOT taken up this cause, and in fact, blocked it.

This should be beyond politics of any kind. But I find it real more than disturbing that it is the Liberals that are being loyal to my Brothers and all those civilians who went down there and are suffering without the insurance to help them with their terrible sicknesses.

Pulmonary disease is rampant among those who were down there for any length of time.

They need our help. They need our voices.
  • HELORIS 2010/12/21 09:08:20
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2010/12/21 05:59:20
    MOMMA THOMAS
    SEEMS LIKE IT, I'VE HEARD ONLY A HANDFUL OF REPORTS ON T.V. AND TALK RADIO.
  • DavethNative* 2010/12/21 05:29:32 (edited)
    DavethNative*
    +2
    Let's see how the 9/11 First Responders feel about being cast aside after their lives and health were sacrificed saving Americans killed and wounded by terrorists. ASK THEM HOW THEY FEEL.

9/11 FIRST RESPONDERS REACT TO GOP SENATE FILIBUSTER of their deserved aid and why they need it.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/w...
  • Petpeve 2010/12/21 04:20:03 (edited)
    Petpeve
    Maybe ABC, NBC & CBS have ignored this but Fox National News has not. They have talked about this bill for the last week that I'm aware of. I again heard about it this morning from them. Just a question here. Do these workers qualify for Workers Compensation Benefits or Social Security Disability Benefits? Maybe that is the delay.
  • Lanikai Petpeve 2010/12/21 16:50:18
    +1
    They already receive both, but expermental treatments and "outside the box" treatments are not covered, aslo, the bill is so bogged down with pork spending til no one even knows the exact number of extra initiatives for more free daycare, more free clinics, more basketball courts, and rainforests in Iowa are included. Seems CON-gress cannot do anything without attaching BILLIONS on extras for their districts.
  • Petpeve Lanikai 2010/12/21 19:32:31
    Petpeve
    Hi Lanikai, oh, I didn't know about the experimental & outside the box treatments not being covered. Yes, I had read/heard about all the pork included in this bill. What a shame... Greedy Congressional men and women. This is what most Americans are sick & tired of.
  • Divided States of America 2010/12/21 03:11:14
    Divided States of America
    +2
    It will cost money that will be unfunded.No one wants that,and no one wants to pay.Guilt trips aren't popular.
  • Fef 2010/12/21 02:56:58
    Fef
    +1
    The media can't keep up with all the legislation swirling around in the Senate. They have focused on the Omnibus spending (defeated), DADT (passed), and DREAM Act (defeated), Bush taxes (passed). Any more confuses them.
  • Liza Jane 2010/12/21 02:49:21
    Liza Jane
    +4
    How sad was it that Stewart was the only person that I'm aware of who actually bothered to sit down with some first responders?

For shame American media... for shame.
  • NYC Fir... Liza Jane 2010/12/21 10:18:20
    NYC Firedog
    +2
    And God bless Jon Stewart!! He will be remembered for this. Politics or no, Jon Stewart is a stand up guy. And I'm a conservative. I was retired with a line of duty injury before 9/11, and it breaks my heart. They are STILL giving their lives. And that includes brave and good hearted civilians who volunteered down at the pile. At least my Brothers had medical insurance from the job. Many civilians got too sick to work, and lost their insurance.
  • Lanikai Liza Jane 2010/12/21 16:48:14
    Actually, Dennis Miller has met privately with them and made hundreds of calls on their behalf, so has Gary Sinise and Dennie Leary. The problem is NOT getting the bill passed, it is getting it passed without the extra 993 BILLION in porl CON-gress stuck into the bill. If they strictly pass funding JUST for 9/11 responders, we are all good with that, BUT everyone of those rat bastards has stuffed MORE debt, and MOre pork into that then I see at a southern pork BBQ house. THAT is what we, and most repubs are against, not the healthcare-the pork.
  • Liza Jane Lanikai 2010/12/21 16:50:27
    Liza Jane
    What pork and who inserted it?

Thanks :-)
  • Lanikai Liza Jane 2010/12/21 18:55:13
    here is the first bit of pork-unlimited use of the fund by ANYONE who ever took a deep breath in NY. Then there are a slop load of extra initiatives.

use GOP leaders: 9/11 first responders aid bill 'a massive new entitlement program'
    House Republican leadership is advising its members to vote against a bipartisan bill that would, among other things, bolster medical support to Sept. 11 victims.

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2009, sponsored by Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.), would provide medical monitoring to those exposed to toxins at ground zero, bolster treatment at specialized centers for those afflicted by toxins on Sept. 11 and reopen a compensation fund to provide for the economic loss of victims.

And it’s all paid for by closing a tax loophole on foreign companies with U.S. subsidiaries, Democrats said.

But according to Republicans, it’s a job-killing growth of government that wou;d create a new entitlement and waste taxpayer dollars.

The bill, if passed, would reopen the Victims Compensation Fund until 2031 — instead of litigation, victims could try to get money from the fund. Republicans are calling the extension “well beyond what is needed to take care of latent claims,” according to a policy statement from the GOP.

“Republicans c...

“Republicans continue to believe that those who responded to the [World Trade Center] attack should get the treatment and liability protection they need because they dutifully answered a call for help,” the policy statement reads.

But this bill, according to Republicans, “creates a massive new entitlement program, exposes taxpayers to increased litigation and is ‘paid for’ with tax increases and potential job losses
  • Liza Jane Lanikai 2010/12/21 19:07:41 (edited)
    Liza Jane
    "unlimited use of the fund by ANYONE who ever took a deep breath in NY"

- Is there language in the bill that states something to that effect that you could point out? (section? paragraph?)

"it’s all paid for by closing a tax loophole on foreign companies with U.S. subsidiaries"

- Do you have a problem with that?

"it’s a job-killing growth of government that wou;d create a new entitlement"

- Providing health care for 9/11 first responders is going to kill jobs?

"Republicans are calling the extension “well beyond what is needed to take care of latent claims,”"

- So you don't think that victims of 9/11 and/or 9/11 first responders deserve to get as much help as they need? Where do you think it should be cut off when some of them are homeless, terminally ill, etc?

"creates a massive new entitlement program, exposes taxpayers to increased litigation and is ‘paid for’ with tax increases and potential job losses"

- Like I asked before... is there language in the bill that can be pointed out that proves and/or explains this claim? I haven't been able to find any.

Rhetoric is great but if the claims cannot be backed up with proof they mean nothing and this just looks like more Republican obstructionism. Where's all that pork?
  • smitty Liza Jane 2010/12/21 19:34:24
    smitty

- Do you have a problem with that?

Do you really think they will do that? No I do not think they will. There are always loopholes. The private sector is smarter than the government. It is a fact.

"- So you don't think that victims of 9/11 and/or 9/11 first responders deserve to get as much help as they need? Where do you think it should be cut off when some of them are homeless, terminally ill, etc?"

Do the first responders need more care than say the runt fireman who develops lung cancer by saving 2 children in a residential home fire. Do they deserve more than the grunt cop that gets his lung pierced saving 2 people being held hostage. Do they deserve more than the neighbor who selfishly pushes a child out of the way of a speeding car and gets his leg run over. Do they deserve more than the military vets that fought died were maimed protecting our freedoms. I ask you the same of your question. Where do you think we should cut off all the heroes in our society?
  • Liza Jane smitty 2010/12/21 19:45:26
    Liza Jane
    Judging from the responses you've provided I'm going to venture a guess that you're just shilling for the GOP. You have zero knowledge of the legislation you're just towing the party line.

Good for you. Support your party as they deny 9/11 first responders health care. You're buying the rhetoric.
  • smitty Liza Jane 2010/12/21 20:25:29
    smitty
    Yeah right. "Rhetoric is great but if the claims cannot be backed up with proof they mean nothing" didn't you say that?

Please come back when you have a real response.
  • Liza Jane smitty 2010/12/21 21:42:43
    Liza Jane
    Oh because you gave me so much concrete evidence to back up your claims... right?

Wrong. I asked repeatedly for what language exactly in the bill supports your claims and you could provide nothing.

Try again.
  • smitty Liza Jane 2010/12/21 21:47:14
    smitty
    You got the wrong person. I answered a couple of the question you asked to another. You never asked me to support my claims. i didn't make any claims. I want to know specifically why the first responders deserve special attention while others in the same exact professions as our first responders still deal with the same stuff. Or the others in our society that will gladly put their lives on the line so you (and I) can live a better life without expecting anything in return.

But thank you for the invitation to try again.
  • Liza Jane smitty 2010/12/21 21:50:55
    Liza Jane
    Ahh, I see, my honest mistake.

Allow me to re-read what you said and I'll respond in kind.
  • smitty Liza Jane 2010/12/21 21:58:14
    smitty
    It happens even I do it. I doubt we will ever agree on anything though.

Even though everything they did was courageous. There are everyday folk that we forget about. Our military vets. Our neighbors. Our doctors. Our police and fire. Our ambulatory. Our park rangers. I could go on forever. When does the steady flood of money stop?
  • Liza Jane smitty 2010/12/21 21:56:59
  • smitty Liza Jane 2010/12/21 22:04:22
    smitty
    There are people out there that are smarter than our government. They find the loopholes in the tax code and direct their energy to that. Once the loophole is closed they find another.

Did they specifically say what the loophole was? I skimmed through it but didn't see exactly. All I see is a smokescreen. What's another 7 billion added to the 15 trillion deficit anyway. I tried to put 15 trillion in my adding machine. I need more characters for the 12 zeros.
  • concerned dude 2010/12/21 02:18:14
    concerned dude
    No. The First Responders Bill will pass but our congress has been passing so much bad legislation there is no need to push it through before Christmas. Take the time, look at the total bill, vote on it in 2011. It will pass. This stuff is just political haggling and media attention from Shepard Smith on Fox and John Stewart. These guys know this but most people are just responding emotionally to this.
  • lovesounds777 2010/12/21 02:01:36 (edited)
    lovesounds777
    What we see here is "Colonial Lord Mentality".

Let's start with "North and South" (1985), Mark Twain, the Shogun story, Moliere, Camus.

They have stories about revolution, adventure, dynasties, and suppressed populations.

now there is one very particular author, true master with these styles of narrating, who was able to analyze the mentality and rationale of the most relevant western elites in history, (at that time a network of nobility, clerus, and military), on the particular example of his own home country, and what would be the outcome of their world views and ways of governing and straight or ceded control of everything, and influence by education: economic dysfunction, indolence, lethargy, victimization, and growing social gap. this would apply to many former colonies, and also to parts of the "ethnic" populations in the americas.

today, not only the protagonists of the colonial systems have globalized and can't be caught any more as being just particular royal houses and their educational systems, but also the victims have become spread globally, and in current absence by actual, formal colonies, these powers still treat their own populations as they regularly had been treating those "natives and barbarians". they had "managed" them as assets and resources. they never pe...

today, not only the protagonists of the colonial systems have globalized and can't be caught any more as being just particular royal houses and their educational systems, but also the victims have become spread globally, and in current absence by actual, formal colonies, these powers still treat their own populations as they regularly had been treating those "natives and barbarians". they had "managed" them as assets and resources. they never perceived themselves as having the same identity as their assets.

identity is one basic point here. these legislators think they somehow have a different identity than those workers who cleaned up the 9/11 site. this is very clandestine because officially they are all americans.

just open your eyes...

in the past, skin color was an official tool to judge "identity", and some "colored" cultures after some time were able to detect the problem and it was not too difficult to know who was who.

today, just watch how diligently some powers in society still want to turn crucial issues that come with their policies, into matters of ethnicity and the particular culture of that ethnic faction, or put the blame on the influence by the "other" political mainstream party.

this is too often a red herring. they just want to hide the fact they deliberately want to claim a different identity for themselves, from anyone else who has less power than they have. AND - this does not stop when "color" or "culture" are the same. it is WITHIN. in fact, race has become a cheap cop-out from the real issue, and this is not bilateral or multilateral, but an intrinsic issue of the self-understanding of a certain group of people.

today, we have the 2.0 of that problem, it has become viral and partially sub-conscious.

the basics have been described as the "social cancer", by Dr. Jose Rizal.

please, everyone in the world concerned, read his books, they are very smart and entertaining!
    also please study his analytical essays, because there he did supply the knowledge that made him able to write these very successful novels, and with successful I mean he actually could give societal progress in his (at his time yet to-become) home country a huge boost. the power towards freedom and independence is coming from within, supported by local culture. this literature has been shaping and helping their culture since then. it is a mental roundtrip 2.0 and a milestone that the western world so far hasn't really passed.
  • TopShelf® (oyo) 2010/12/21 01:53:51
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    +1
    how about the fact that the first responders were led
    to their deaths,by those that had foreknowledge of
    the building's imminent collapse?
    responders deathsby foreknowledge buildings imminent collapse truth
  • NatAlex23 2010/12/21 01:39:21
    NatAlex23
    +4
    Why is it that a comedian is the best source of news in this country and well above the rest of the real media? (and Republicans, FOX News counts as the media too and is just as bad as MSNBC and CNN)

real media republicans fox news counts media msnbc cnn Jon Stewart journalism
  • Brosia 2010/12/21 01:00:41
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2010/12/21 00:24:01
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +5
    The Republicans absolutely disgust me. How can they be so heartless? Why are they punishing people who risked their lives to save hundreds of fellow Americans? What do they hope to gain by making these heroes suffer?
  • Petpeve ««Ginge... 2010/12/21 04:28:03 (edited)
    Petpeve
    When the $7.4 billion bill for this comes up as a stand alone bill not buried in a 1.3 trillion dollar pork bill it will pass. Sen Gillibrand from NY has a stand alone bill. Harry and Nancy have not brought it up for a vote.
  • Lanikai ««Ginge... 2010/12/21 16:43:48
    Why are you stupidly buying the party line that CNN spews?? They STUFFED the bill with MORE spending on pet projects for their districts and ONE congress person had 101 spending intiatives in it JUST FOR HER DISTRICT. Each CON-gress person sticks a few more goodies in and BAM a 7 billion dollar bill becomes a 1 trillion dollar bill.
  • ««Ginge... Lanikai 2010/12/21 17:58:07
    So... once again, the Republicans are caring more about money than human lives and suffering. Typical.
  • smitty ««Ginge... 2010/12/21 19:36:49
    smitty
    Pony up your money and give it to them. No one is stopping you. Take a stand and prove it. Give 90% of your net worth to them. Go ahead prove it.
  • ««Ginge... smitty 2010/12/21 19:44:59
    So... what's 90% of zero?
  • smitty ««Ginge... 2010/12/21 20:26:42
    smitty
    So you want me to give them my money? That is very thoughtful of you.
  • ««Ginge... smitty 2010/12/21 20:34:49
    Relax. Some day I'll probably pay way more taxes than you. And if anyone deserves our tax money, it's them.
  • smitty ««Ginge... 2010/12/21 20:46:02 (edited)
    smitty
    Relax about what? Or are your panties too tight. I have a nice hot cup of chocolate milk with a piece of blueberry pie watching the snow fall snuggled up in a nice cozy blanket. I am not sure I can relax anymore.

I hope you do pay more taxes. Congratulations.

2014/07/23 11:22:47