Is the constitution an outdated document?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/04/08 10:56:04
Related Topics: Constitution

• Rusty 2012/04/08 11:53:14
    Rusty
    +14
    the rest of the world is ruled by an oligarchy, we are not. That is why America is under attack fro out side as well as from with in.There is only one thing keeping the elites from ruling the world and putting us peasants in our place, The United States of America. I'm afraid with there control of the young minds through tv, movies, literature, music and education system. The only way to bring down a republic is through the peoples vote.

tyuio
    obama

• nverumind 2012/04/26 20:35:52
    nverumind
    +1
    And without this document A Nation of true freedom will cease to exist.
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/04/12 16:20:22
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    The concepts of a limited government and the rule of law are just as poignant today, as they were at the time of its writing. Sadly, the verbiage used at the time of its writing entailing those concepts, has been reinterpreted to reflect the changing meanings of more modern verbiage. This has significantly changed its original intent, rendering much of its meaning quite different from that envisioned by the founders.
  • goblue1968 2012/04/12 15:14:27
    goblue1968
    Nope!!
    It was written in very clear and precise language, and the writers were wise enough to also lay out a specific manner of amending it as time and future events may dictate. Therefore, to answer the question, this constitution can never be outdated!

Liberals find those facts to be tremendously annoying and frustrating to their desires for overwhelming changes to the American way of life!
  • Katfish 2012/04/10 12:19:53
  • voice_m... Katfish 2012/04/10 15:33:30 (edited)
    voice_matters
    the founding fathers intended us to read the doucument and follow it, not to interpret.
  • Katfish voice_m... 2012/04/10 17:27:10
    Katfish
    +1
    Brilliant deduction!!
    How do YOU follow the "general welfare clause"?
  • voice_m... Katfish 2012/04/10 17:30:05
    voice_matters
    it is the worst clause in the constitution because it give congress almost unlimited power.
  • Katfish voice_m... 2012/04/10 17:36:44
    Katfish
    +1
    That is why I why I wrote;
    "but would like to see it clearly state what the founders intended"
    I wish it did not need interpretation, but sadly, there is much disagreement.
  • voice_m... Katfish 2012/04/10 17:43:47
    voice_matters
    ok let me copy and paste for you:

the founding fathers intended us to read the doucument and follow it, not to interpret

when you wish to have a real discussion find me. if you want to post what you are told by moveon.org please find someone else
  • Katfish voice_m... 2012/04/10 17:52:27
    Katfish
    +1
    I have never visited your "move on" website but apparently you have.
    You replied to my post, so you found me. Then you obiously had no understanding of what my post said. I attemted a 2nd time to explain to no avail, hoping maybe you just read it too fast but now its clear to me you are not capable.
  • voice_m... Katfish 2012/04/10 18:50:59 (edited)
    voice_matters

this was the third time i posted my same answer. i responded directly you all your comments and you refused to accept them.. but as a lib you are taught not to accept the facts but to ignore them. you are also taught to interpret the constitution to fit your needs which is why you refused my response
  • Tennessean Katfish 2012/04/10 17:44:15
    Tennessean
    Madison, considered the father of the constitution, said, “With respect to the words general welfare, I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.”

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison criticizing an attempt to grant public monies for charitable means, 1794
  • Katfish Tennessean 2012/04/10 17:56:15
    Katfish
    +1
    I agree.
    Just wish it was written more "fool proof"
  • Classical Liberal 2012/04/10 03:33:33
    Classical Liberal
    Certainly there are portions of it that, by amendment, have been made into relics of history.

However, the bulk of it -- the purpose of the branches of government, the restrictions upon the president and congress, et cetera -- is still more important and relevant than any argument that I have seen/heard against it.
  • DDogbreath 2012/04/09 23:58:19
    DDogbreath
    No our constitution is a very sound and good document under constant attack. Our liberty is being taken away from us before your very eyes, yet not many people are "patriotic enough" to question the politicians motives.
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2012/04/09 18:56:39
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    It can never become outdated if people are serious about it, because it includes a provision to allow it to be amended as needed. Amendment is difficult, to be sure, as it should be. It is still the finest defining document for a government of free men ever devised by man. The language may seem a bit archaic, but the concepts are as fresh and vital as ever. Unfortunately, there are many people who no longer cherish freedom the way the founders did and for them, the constitution is an impediment to their idea of progress and utopia.
  • EdWhiteSpace 2012/04/09 16:05:25
    EdWhiteSpace
    Not remotely. And the further we move from it, the more problems we seem to have on those issues.
  • Seonag 2012/04/09 12:03:13
    Seonag
    As the country evolves we have the ability to AMEND the Constitution, keeping it 'current' and 'relevant.'
  • aneed2know 2012/04/09 07:00:06
    aneed2know
    But with that being said, it does not mean that it does needs to brought into the 21st century to deal with problems that are unique to this era.
  • Charge 2012/04/09 06:08:36
    Charge
    It's the true foundation of our republic.
  • Frank 2012/04/09 04:25:35
    Frank
    But is was made to be able to change, and it has been changed. It documents the framework of our government.
  • Kevin 2012/04/09 04:22:50
  • twocrows 2012/04/09 04:16:27
    twocrows
    +1
    it includes complete instructions on how to update it.
    if we hadn't already done exactly that we would still be practicing slavery, I wouldn't be allowed to vote and the 1930's would have been a very different decade [ok, so nobody said we had to get it right EVERY time we added an update - but, mostly, we have.]
  • miss Smarty 2012/04/09 04:10:38
    miss Smarty
    It still is valid even today and far into the future.
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/04/09 03:42:39
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    It's not, it needs to be protected because it is our protection from the government.
  • jim 2012/04/09 02:29:10
    jim
    +1
    If the Constitution were followed we would have a much better America.
  • voice_m... jim 2012/04/10 15:36:37
    voice_matters
    can you tell me what parts are not followed. please tell me what parts and how they are not folowed
  • jim voice_m... 2012/05/05 21:35:39 (edited)
    jim
    Several of the Bill of Rights, only The Congress can declare war, the President is not above the law neither are members of the Congress, for starters. I'll get back to you.
  • voice_m... jim 2012/05/08 17:50:22
    voice_matters
    libby thanks for showing you can not show a single part not followed.
  • jim voice_m... 2012/05/09 02:38:48
    jim
    First Amendment-- abridging the right to peaceful assembly
    Second-- right to bear arms
    Fourth-- be secure in papers, house and effect. Warentless wire taps and searches
    Five-- held without charge indefinitely
    Six-- face my accusers
    Shall I go on with habeaus corpus, or the war powers act.
  • voice_m... jim 2012/05/09 17:16:52
    voice_matters
    1st still allowed to assembly
    2nd still allowed to bear arms for a militia
    4th- wiretaps on us citizens need warants still
    5th- nothing says how long you can be held
    6th-stil face your accusers

i agree that the war powers act is unconstitutional seeing it limits the constitutional powers of the president.
  • jim voice_m... 2012/05/14 05:43:28
    jim
    You need to pay attention, we need permits to assemble. The militia was the farmer, butcher, banker, livery man, saloon keeper, black smith in other words all citizens were considered part to the militia and were asked to respond to British troops.
    Wire taps, the FISA court is no more, the Patriot Act took care of that.
    The newly signed defense act removes our right to a speedy trial, and in military courts we must face secret evidence and faceless accusers
    The President cannot declare war..
  • voice_m... jim 2012/05/14 15:00:13
    voice_matters
    and when you do not get your permit to assmebly can and find me to tell me all about it. thaks for showing you can still have your guns.
    libby fisa still is in place seeing all the partiot act did was list all the laws on the book in one place. it didn't create anything nw nor eliminate anything. the ndaa doesn't remove the speedy trial because treason is an action that is dealt with by congress according to the us constitution.
    can you show me where the the president has declared war?
  • jim voice_m... 2012/05/15 00:13:06
    jim
    Why do you refuse to admit that warentless searches and wire taps occur. Innocent till proven…. So doesn’t treason need to be proved in court. There’s no war eh--- tell that to today’s God Star Mothers.
  • voice_m... jim 2012/05/15 02:23:24
    voice_matters
  • sjalan 2012/04/09 01:59:56 (edited)
    Just badly disrespected by the Republican party and the Conservatives

To Quote BushII "It's just a damn piece of paper"
  • Murph 65 2012/04/09 00:48:02
    Murph 65
    Not only no but hell no. What is you want instead of the constitution?
  • voice_matters 2012/04/09 00:36:06
    voice_matters
    that is why the founding fathers gave us the power to amend the consitution. they knew a growing country would need to change the document with the country's changes
  • rightside 2012/04/08 23:50:46
    rightside
    No, it deals with basic rights that don't infringe on others. bama is trying to make the constitution just a piece of history.
    There is not much that is outdated on it.
  • Tennessean 2012/04/08 22:20:13
    Tennessean
    +3
    The Constitution is the document upon which our political, economic and social structure rests.

The main problem with our government is that because so many people do not study the constitution that many of the concepts people believe to be true, due to listening to our politicians and the news media's spin on the constitution is totally false.

Anyone wishing to learn more about our constitution can do so by reading the Federalist Papers along with many of the writings of the founders themselves by simply looking on the internet.

2014/12/18 20:17:26