Is the Chicago Teachers Strike Helping or Hurting the Education System?

AdriHead 2012/09/13 19:00:00
Public school teachers in Chicago have been on strike for a few days now, which has put a stop to classes and affected family schedules across the state. But Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis says she expects there to be a deal soon between the teachers union that is on strike and public school officials. Do you think the strike is ultimately helping the education system -- or hurting it by grinding it to an indefinite halt?

CHICAGOTRIBUNE.COM reports:
Negotiators trying to settle the Chicago teachers strike say more than 350,000 students could be back in the classroom by Friday.
chicago teachers strike

Read More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/...

• Dale 2012/09/13 19:13:28
    Helping
    Dale
    +31
    By the reading and math levels of students in the Chicago Public Schools, they, the teachers, are probably helping the students more by staying out on strike.

• SonofSp... Todd Pa... 2012/09/17 15:43:44
    SonofSpermcube
    It's the manner in which performance is measured that bothers most teachers, along with the consequences of not meeting standards...not just for the individual (which is unfair if the test is unfair) but for the school system, which in many cases ends up privatized.

The current assault on teachers is part of a grab for public funds by private companies. It is a new form of enclosure.
  • Pamela 2012/09/15 21:01:10 (edited)
    Hurting
    Pamela
    +2
    Obama has told Rahma Emmamual, the mayor of Chicago and former Chief of staff under Obama to cave in to the teachers union for their votes. Just one example of the rotten politics under Obluna. Most of these teachers can't even spell their own names, let alone teach school. What a terrible example this will set for other schools. The Unions are killing the country. bad unions
  • SonofSp... Pamela 2012/09/16 13:48:57
    SonofSpermcube
    "Just one example of the rotten politics under Obluna. Most of these teachers can't even spell their own names"

Boy, good thing you're not a teacher.

How many teachers do you know, BTW?
  • Robin B 2012/09/15 19:42:54
    Hurting
    Robin B
    +4
    Sure it is! The unions have ruined the profession. For many it is nothing but a high paying job with great benefits, holidays, weekends, and summers off. Oh and don't worry about bad weather...school is cancelled.
    It really ticks me off when thug teachers scream "it's for the children" NOT! Tell me how your retirement package is a plus for students. Greedy teachers demand more tax dollars to cover the cost of over inflated benefits while the senior citizens sell their homes because they can't afford the increased property taxes.
  • SonofSp... Robin B 2012/09/16 13:58:03
    SonofSpermcube
    Teachers don't necessarily get summers off. They may teach summer school, or they may have required continuing education to keep their jobs. When they do get summers off, they don't necessarily stop or start the same day the kids do. They also may not actually have their weekends free...papers don't grade themselves, and lessons don't plan themselves (for new or significantly modified lessons, it's generally an hour of planning for every hour of class, and even a lesson you've done a bunch of times before requires preparation), and it's pretty much impossible to do while you've got students around.

Your memories of your school days do not encompass everything that happened at your school.

Property tax rates are relatively low, historically. Increases in property tax usually come from increases in assessed values. And on that subject, I don't think you'll find many teachers who think that schools should be funded directly by local property taxes.

And how exactly do you think the word "thug" describes teachers? And what makes you describe teacher benefits as "inflated?"
  • Robin B SonofSp... 2012/09/16 20:08:44
    Robin B
    The choice to teach summer school is just that, a choice, not a requirement so they do have summers off if they choose. The continuing education classes can be taken at any time through out the year and many schools offer credit for in school training hours toward those classes.

I know there is a certain amount of prep and gradeing to do. That is what planing periods are for as well as the paid hours before and after student time.
    You assume that memories are my only source of information...wrong answer.
    I spent 7 years as the chair for our high school citizens advisory committee.
    Because I worked shift work I was available to volunteer a minimum of 10 hours per week in class rooms assisting teachers. Now that I am a grandmother I do the same for my grandchildren.

Oh and my oldest daughter is a teacher. She has taught in 2 states and 3 counties as a result of moves and getting married. She is an excellent teacher and makes good use of her in school hours. Her chief complaint is teachers who sit around and gossip and complain when they should be prepping and planing then cry that they have to take work home. She is not a member of the union and has taken a lot of heat for it but she thinks for herself.

I don't know where you live but we pay property tax on top of school tax, last ye...

I don't know where you live but we pay property tax on top of school tax, last year alone it amounted to over $10,000.00. Gee my home is worth 1/2 what it was 6 years ago but the rates we pay have not dropped a dime. Teachers don't care where the money comes from as long as it comes.

Thug yes! Teachers that strike do so to bully school boards to get what they want. They must not give a rats behind how that action effects family's with school age children. Just watch them on the march, thugs yes.

Inflated absolutely! The pay and benefits package for teachers is over the top. No wonder they don't want to be evaluated.
  • SonofSp... Robin B 2012/09/17 15:54:24
    SonofSpermcube
    WTF is a "school tax" on top of your property taxes? Did they just make it a separate line item to give you something to be angry about?

Did you have a problem when your house was worth more than it was 6 years before that, but your property taxes hadn't gone up yet? If you have a problem with it now, I suggest you take up assessment procedures and intervals with your board of supervisors.

And of course YOUR loved one is one of the good ones, not like all those OTHER people who are worthless and awful. What does she teach, BTW? And what kind of assistance did you provide to teachers? Were THEY lazy ungrateful gossips?
  • Robin B SonofSp... 2012/09/18 02:06:56
    Robin B
    A school tax is just what it says it is. My house was built 6 years ago and assessed at the time. The rate has not gone down with the value smart ass. 19 of the 22 families in our development went before the board to recuse our tax ex and were all denied.
    Yes my daughter is one of the good ones but she wasn't raised to be a parasite on society either. She has taught 3rd and 5th in elementary school and 6 th grade math. She wouldn't be stomping up and down the street demanding to make twice the amount the average person in the area makes plus a bloated package of goodies while failing the students.
  • SonofSp... Robin B 2012/09/18 07:14:21
    SonofSpermcube
    Of course, everyone is bad as long as you don't know them.

And during the housing bubble, property tax increases lagged property values. That's generally how it works. In some places, it gets assessed only when built or ownership changed...there are people who've owned their homes for decades and are paying taxes at rates set in the 70s. Sorry you built your house at the worst time in living memory, but ignorance of the law is no excuse.
  • Robin B SonofSp... 2012/09/21 01:49:10 (edited)
    Robin B
    Ignorance of the law...I am not looking for excuses, you are just looking for a way to be right. Generally you are clueless. The issue here is the teachers thinking they are worth more when clearly they are not.
  • Ann 2012/09/15 18:31:16
    Hurting
    Ann
    +3
    They should be grateful they have a job. Has teachers they get a lot of perks.
    They are hurting others: sending the students the wrong message, and the parents, who may be looking for work either way affecting family schedules. Hey we're all hurting, but are making due the best we know how. Looking forward to a new President in November!
  • SonofSp... Ann 2012/09/16 13:58:53
    SonofSpermcube
    INGRATES! THEY DONT HAVE IT AS BAD AS ME, THEY SHOULDN'T COMPLAIN IF THEY LOSE ANYTHING!

You are angry at the wrong people.
  • dkaz 2012/09/15 17:41:45
    Hurting
    dkaz
    +1
    Let me start by saying sorry about the novella...and writing about Education as a whole.

The entire NATION is hurting so severely due to the cost of living and yet they ask for more.

I dare to say most of us have worked our entire lives in order to earn a better way of life.. period.

Whether it be while raising & teaching our own children, some of our grandchildren, and/or learning a new career? Attending classes ourselves so we'd be viable and relevant in today's workforce.

WE'VE had to make substantial changes over the last few years in order to survive.

WE THE OTHER PEOPLE want our own negotiator who can stop those who keep our lives in one way or another in hostage situations until they get what they feel they deserve.

I'd like to know just how many companies have given cost of living raises that actually have kept up with inflation?

If you have been given one, gas alone has taken the better part of it. Not to mention food costs.

After selling my 19 yr business, I actively sought employment decidedly not to file for unemployment because I knew I was a viable candidate for something.

During my search we struggled to make ends meet, even after downsizing considerably, cutting costs at every single juncture in our lives.

And that meant cutting way back on our chari...

&

And that meant cutting way back on our charitable donations. Which I know has happened across this once great nation on a grand scale. Individual tithe has been cut back as well.
    Many of those dollars had gone to daycare, shelters...helping the poor, keeping their doors opened .

From 1984 to 2001 we've had children in our public school system. Each year, we begun by school shopping, starting with clothes, backpack, all the necessity to fill that backpack, paid for books, lunches, after school programs, sports programs, musical programs, uniforms, transportation, team snacks, held fund raising events to raise MORE money for whatever the school needed..and this was just K-12!

College was a completely other financial escapade, but...my American born & raised children actually worked part time while going to college which enabled them to pay for things on their own such as car/gas/insurance, essentials while we footed the bigger part of their education. Don't get me started on the Dream Act here in AZ.

There are ways of giving children what they need without taxing us further...or throwing more money at districts who can't function on what they have been given to begin with.

Classroom/district audits need to take place each and every year. As well as a fundamental test to teachers who can't put a simple yet interesting curriculum together.

If children don't go to school, well, then that's a different story...sounds like our tax dollars would be well spent on forming a truancy squad and setting up a vocational school on how to make license plates, train animals, farming, because that's what I'm told people do while imprisoned.
    Makes me SICK.
  • SonofSp... dkaz 2012/09/16 14:00:34
  • biggerman SonofSp... 2012/09/17 16:47:28
    biggerman
    Right! You got it - public sector unions for sure.
  • SonofSp... biggerman 2012/09/18 00:25:21 (edited)
    SonofSpermcube
    You and irony don't talk to each other much do you?
  • biggerman SonofSp... 2012/09/18 01:25:26
    biggerman
    Let me introduce you to Mr. Sarcasm.
  • jerry 2012/09/15 17:34:23
    Hurting
    jerry
    +1
    For individual teachers, it may be about kids and teaching. For the teacher's union, it is about, money, power and political clout.

Time to allow vouchers so that parents can do what's best for their kids.
  • john richardson 2012/09/15 16:46:44 (edited)
    Hurting
    john richardson
    +2
    Neither, We're 26th in the world our kids can't read but they can put a condom on a quecumber so what's a strike gonna hurt???Besides those teachers look like theyre having a good time
  • CODE 11 2012/09/15 15:56:48
    Hurting
    CODE 11
    +1
    These greedy SOB's were offered 16 % pay hike. All other goverment workers have been getting 2 or 3 % The city is broke and they offered 16% who is more stupid here. They are all Democrats ..maybe that answers my question.
  • Cleaver62 2012/09/15 15:13:18
    Helping
    Cleaver62
    +3
    The entire idea of No Child Left Behind and teaching for a test is stupid. Teachers should be teaching students how to think and solve problems. Between Reagan and Bush II, they have destroyed the entire educational system and that is why the US is falling farther and farther behind every other country when it comes to education. And now Republicans want to privatize the educational system because they are more interested in making money off students than teaching them. It is a shame. And that is what the teachers are fighting for.
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/15 15:45:15
    Cliff
    +1
    What is far more stupid is government being in the education business.
  • Cleaver62 Cliff 2012/09/15 18:26:57
    Cleaver62
    +1
    The government has been in the business of educating kids since day one of the United States. I know I had a public school education and so did just about everyone else I know. In fact, most scientists and doctors and politicians had a public school education. It worked for 200 years until Reagan got a hold of it and decided to start changing it. First they took civics out because Republicans didn't want people to know the truth about how liberals made this country what it is. Most textbooks are made down in Texas, a product of christian conservatives who are constantly re-writing history. So I guess what you want is for profit education from day one. If you can afford to go to school go. If you can't tough. Study after study has shown that public school education is as good if not better that charter schools. And public schools take everyone. Most problem children are a direct result of their environment. So kids in bad neighborhoods don't have a chance without good teachers because they don't have any support at home.
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/16 15:20:33
    Cliff
    Government run schools have become indoctrination camps to program kids to be compliant with the liberal agenda and to dumb them down enough to surrender their freedom and independence for promises of utopia that actually lead to dictatorship and dependency. Try again sunshine.
  • SonofSp... Cliff 2012/09/16 14:01:38
    SonofSpermcube
    Did you go to public school?
  • Cliff SonofSp... 2012/09/16 15:22:23
    Cliff
    +1
    Yes. I graduated in 1966 which is just before the liberal NEA agenda began to dramatically screw things up.
  • Cleaver62 Cliff 2012/09/16 17:16:53
    Cleaver62
    Sorry but you are wrong on all accounts. Republicans have forced their agenda on the educational system and are in the process of trying to dumb down society so there can be more conservative voters. Conservative voters are uneducated uninformed people. Why do you think Romney is trying to encourage only wealthy people to attend college?
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/17 01:16:48
    Cliff
    Sorry but you are simply uninformed.
  • Cleaver62 Cliff 2012/09/17 18:02:26
    Cleaver62
    Would you kindly tell me what I said that was wrong or not true? Thanks...
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/25 05:00:34
    Cliff
    Everything. It is liberals that try to force their views on the rest of us. The NEA is a liberal organization determined to dumb down our kids to prepare them to accept the poverty that will come with socialism and total dependence upon government. Conservatives may have a few uneducated folks in their ranks but so do liberals. What liberals lack is wisdom. That comes from knowing what this world is all about and they don't teach that at Harvard anymore.
  • Cleaver62 Cliff 2012/09/26 00:09:04
    Cleaver62
    Sorry, Republicans have been trying to dumb down America for years to increase their base. They just might have enough idiots now in America to get Romney into office.
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/26 11:22:42
    Cliff
    Appears you've overdosed on the Kool-Aid.
  • Cleaver62 Cliff 2012/09/26 14:38:53
    Cleaver62
    No. You just don't care to know the facts. And if you do know the facts, as a conservative, you just ignore them and make up your own reality. Seen it a 100 times before on FOX news and heard in from Limbaugh.
  • Cliff Cleaver62 2012/09/27 18:09:58
    Cliff
    You must live in Bizzaro World where everything is in reverse.
  • biggerman Cleaver62 2012/09/17 15:54:40
    biggerman
    You are a certifiable moron!
  • Cleaver62 biggerman 2012/09/17 18:02:39
    Cleaver62
  • biggerman Cleaver62 2012/09/17 18:27:41 (edited)
    biggerman
    +1
    "Republicans have forced their agenda on the educational system and are in the process of trying to dumb down society so there can be more conservative voters. Conservative voters are uneducated uninformed people. Why do you think Romney is trying to encourage only wealthy people to attend college?"

Everything you said in this statement is categorically untrue. The public education system in the U.S. is so dominated by liberalism and leftist ideology that it is laughable for you to say that Republicans have forced their agenda into it. Your statements are bigoted and your comment about Romney is not only wrong; it was stupid. "Romney is trying to encourage only wealthy people to attend college?" You are an idiot!
  • Cleaver62 biggerman 2012/09/26 00:14:48
    Cleaver62
    If Romney wants everyone to be able to afford college, why does he want to cut Pell Grants and why did he say you should get the education you can afford. If someone can't afford to go to college, with Romney, they won't get any help from the government. Unlike 30 years ago, a student can't afford to work and put themselves through college anymore. Most kids don't come from families like Romney so we can't ask our parents for 60 or 80,000 dollars to go to school. So how are they supposed to do it? Answer: don't go. Get a low paying unskilled job and vote Republican because they are the party of progress and support the middle class.
  • biggerman Cleaver62 2012/09/26 06:31:11 (edited)
    biggerman
    Yah - that's the ticket: You want to go to college and the government (tax payers) can pay for it. There are already so many (too many)government programs available for you. Get a freakin' loan or get good grades and get a scholarship, or join the military, serve your country for a few years, and get some help that way. How about going to a community college? Obama has no ideas other than to run up more debt and make more people dependent on the government. I'm getting really sick of you leaches standing in line with your hands out. Grow up and take personal responsibility.
  • Cleaver62 biggerman 2012/09/26 09:10:29
    Cleaver62
    Like I said Romney only wants you to get the education you can afford. If you can't afford one, don't go to school. Student debt is astronomical and actually is higher than credit card debt in the US. Way too many kids default on their loans because they can't get a degree and find a job that pays enough to live on and pay them off. Education should be free and affordable to anyone who wants it. Businesses, corporations, the government... everyone benefits when their work force is educated. It is as asset. And with many corporations and businesses not paying their fair share of taxes, they should be paying for the education of their workers. College is free in most European countries which is just one of the many reasons they are passing the US in everything.

And I'm sick of corporate leaches with their hands out looking for employees who are educated but they are unwilling to pay their fair share in taxes to support the education of the country.

2014/12/21 11:27:38