Is the Birth Control Issue hurting the GOP with Women Voters?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/02/21 16:42:29

A series of hot button events has thrust the issue of contraception
into the public spotlight recently. There was a large hue and cry after
Obama introduced a new law which requires most religiously affiliated
employers to cover birth control for their employees. Soon after, Susan
G. Komen for the Cure, the nation’s largest breast cancer charity, cut
off funds to Planned Parenthood, which provides affordable cancer
screenings and contraception to millions of low-income women, then
within 48 hours reinstated the funding because of the ensuing fury and
vows to cut off donations to Susan G. Komen.

GOP war on women

What doe this mean for Democrats? Well, in my opinion this is ONLY
GOOD NEWS for the democrats. You see women are now a MAJOR voting bloc,
and you must have at least some of the women vote to win elections now.
The numbers are staggering. Overall, 53 percent of the national
electorate in 2008 was female, according to exit poll data. Women
overall voted 56 to 43 percent for Obama; men voted 49 to 48 percent for
him.

That’s Right, 53% of voters in 2008 were women. How will this affect
the GOP? Consider this: 8 out of 10 women feel that birth control
should be covered by insurance. Let me reiterate that 80% of women!

women vote democrat

How do you think Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney will fare with women
voters after PUBLICLY coming out against insurance coverage for birth
control? I think they will not do well among women voters, which is a
group that the GOP DESPERATELY needs to court. In 2008 among single
women, Obama got the vote by a whopping 79%. The women’s support of
Obama, is what won the election for him. How exactly does the GOP plan
on pulling off a victory, from an already divided party, without the
support of women?

Read More: http://www.theverbalassassin.net/2012/02/21/birth-...

• E Dawg Hamilton 2012/02/27 02:38:56
    E Dawg
    For the very specific situation you describe, where say someone works for a Catholic Church, should the Church be compelled to offer health insurance where birth control coverage is offered is a tough one for me. It's a slippery slope if you allow them to deny that...but I get your point. Certainly, I wouldn't allow much flexibility to the law, if any exemptions are made, I'd say they should be very few. It is true that most Catholics do use birth control, but I understand your view.
  • Hamilton E Dawg 2012/02/27 08:55:51
    Hamilton
    +1
    To me the slope of violating the belief systems of others is a far slipperier slope. Removing the funding for such issues from public spending should be a MINIMUM concession to conscience. The way the bill was originally structured was correct and they should have left it alone.
  • E Dawg Hamilton 2012/02/28 00:53:26 (edited)
    E Dawg
    If the right structure was in place to allow prices to not rise for birth control for people and availability to not diminish based on price or anything else, I would concede. I'm not sure if that's possible.
  • Hamilton E Dawg 2012/02/28 10:24:13
    Hamilton
    Sure, it is called the free enterprise system and it always works when we don't screw around with it.
  • E Dawg Hamilton 2012/02/28 23:57:01
    E Dawg
    There's little competition and the insurance is all done through employers. The system is an atrocity. Something has to change. It's completely dysfunctional.
  • Hamilton E Dawg 2012/04/08 09:30:38
    Hamilton
    The way to CURE these problems is by the methodology I suggested, not by trampling the first amendment.
  • PJ Sweet Cheeks 2012/02/25 16:01:39
    PJ  Sweet Cheeks
    +4
    No and why would it?
    The real issues facing this country today is our economy and high gas prices!
    As far as Birth control and abortion and other social issues they will always be there...there will always be contraceptives, always be Abortion....no party can ever take that away, people need to think!

The media wants us to fight about this stuff during an election year and not think about the real issues at hand and pass us another do nothing President....Washington stinks! They have had over 40 years to do something about gas and yet we wait and suffer, this crap has gotten very old!!!!! In the mean time they have given us more laws, pay more in taxes and watch everything go up, up, up all the while they spend Trillions!!!!
  • BlueMax372 2012/02/24 21:57:03
    BlueMax372
    +6
    And it shouldn't because anyone with a brain knows the "issue" was manufactured from whole cloth by the democommies and their propaganda arm, the left stream media. Senator Santorum honestly and forthrightly answered a question he assumed was asked in good faith (he should have known better as it was asked by a lib) as to whether the states had the legislative authority to ban contraception, which they do. From this, whelped the lie that Santorum favors the states banning contraception which is absolutely ludicrous. As more and more people find out how this "issue" came into existence, more and more people are realizing what lying sacks of sewage the libturds are.
  • David Hussey 2012/02/24 05:23:08
    David Hussey
    +1
    I think it hurts them in general, but especially with women. I think there are people who while they may agree in principle with the GOP stance on birth control are offended that this is being used as a wedge issue when they should be addressing the pressing concerns of the nation
  • Rogue_Loner 2012/02/23 18:37:27
  • JAA Rogue_L... 2012/04/06 01:28:23
    JAA
    Well, if we're going to throw out the Constitution, let's just do what one of the current POTUS' [no peace be upon him] czars who is all for contamination the water supply to insure that women don't get pregnant. I mean, "in for a penny, in for a pound".
  • Live Free Or Die 2012/02/23 16:45:31
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    The assault on women's rights in the states is disturbing, forced vaginal probing, personhood rights, etc. They disgust me.
  • Shylee 2012/02/23 14:12:27
    Shylee
    +7
    I think the GOP Men are hypocrites if ask you me,they can use Viagra but we cant have the Pill to protect us from Viagra.WTH is going on are we back in the 50s.

It sounds like the GOP Men like their women barefoot and pregnant,im not surprised.Their a bunch of dirty old white men.I hope all women stick together on this.Thats just going to far.
  • JAA Shylee 2012/02/23 15:15:08 (edited)
    JAA
    +6
    OMG!! NOTHING is being done to prevent women ACCESS to birth control!!! This is a religious freedom (1st Amendment) issue, NOT an access one. Sheesh! Most women have just got to be the most daft group of people!! When I was younger, I paid for my own birth control, because insurance wasn't covering it. That was fine by me, because it really wasn't that expensive.

Women today can get free, or low cost, birth control through Medicaid & Planned Parenthood. They can also close their legs (& yes, the guys can keep it in their pants). And puhlease, no nasty comment about "how dare you"! I'm so very tired of self-righteous liberal women's libbers (men, particularly "white" men-haters, & conservative women haters) giving us their nasty-a*s opinion about the virtues of single-motherhood, working outside the home w/ neglect of our kids, their irritation of actually being happily married w/ long-term faithfulness to a man, sex outside of marriage w/ anything that moves, & gay marriage.

There are a HUGE number of women who think stupid women (& men) like yourself are MANDATING others pay for your personal choice issues of birth control when their religion is CLEARLY against it, particularly indiscriminate use of abortion, is TOTALLY against the 1st Amendment. If a woman (or man) does...

&&

There are a HUGE number of women who think stupid women (& men) like yourself are MANDATING others pay for your personal choice issues of birth control when their religion is CLEARLY against it, particularly indiscriminate use of abortion, is TOTALLY against the 1st Amendment. If a woman (or man) does not like the health care benefits that the Catholic organization (emphasis on Catholic), then they should go work somewhere else. There are very few people in this country who are unaware of the Catholic Church's position on this subject!!!

And before you begin name-calling, feeling "offended" at my comments, or giving me the "how dare you" & "you're putting women back 100 years, let it be known that I am NOT Catholic. I am, however, concerned that if the government gets away w/ removing the 1st Amendment for Catholics, & for Fox News (which they are attempting to do), then whose freedom do they go after next? What pet "right" are YOU willing to give up, or are you looking forward to a totalitarian government?
  • Andy Fl... JAA 2012/02/23 15:47:32 (edited)
    Andy Fletcher
    +2
    I agree with your sentiment and feeling on this, but just as much as it is not an access issue, it's also not a 1st amendment issue. It's not an interstate commerce issue. It's about the fed having no authority to require that ALL or ANY (save those serving fed employees) insurance carriers to provide birth control. Much like universal health care, there is no basis in the constitution for it.

You did hit the nail on the head in one aspect though. OF COURSE they are looking forward to a totalitarian government. That way they don't have to be bothered with thinking and doing for themselves. They won't have to weigh life issues and make serious choices.
  • Melicio... JAA 2012/02/23 16:46:28
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    You know women use birth control for other reasons than contraceptive right? So the close your leg theory doesn't exactly apply. Should a married woman have to close her legs too? Or just deal with it if she gets pregnant but doesn't want children?? You are WRONG not everybody can get medicaid or PP.
  • JAA Melicio... 2012/02/23 21:30:31 (edited)
    JAA
    +4
    Closing ones' legs & putting the family jewels back in the closet is but ONE way to prevent pregnancy, STD's, emotional upheavals. Married families have access to condoms & foam (which is what we used in the "olden days", as well as abstaining during "that time" of the month). I managed not to get pregnant for 14 yrs w/ hubby, using various strategies. The first time we tried to get pregnant, it worked like a charm!

And yes, I realize, as a registered nurse, that women also use BCPs for endometriosis & PMS symptoms, so don't go getting all "we're advanced in our knowledge, but conservative women are backward" kind of crap.

Now, you're still under the erroneous assumption (I'm supposing it's because you cannot read well or don't comprehend what you've been reading from my others' posts), but birth control access is NOT what is at issue. How many times do you have to be told that? How MANY???

Finally, if a person has a job (& that's what we're talking about in this discussion) at a Catholic institution/organization, then they can afford birth control on their own. If they don't get paid enough, then perhaps they need to find other employment or talk to their supervisor about a raise. Millions of women paid for their own birth control before insurance companies began being mandated to carry it, & we weren't asking for handouts from others. Where there's a will, there's a way. Stop making excuses.
  • Melicio... JAA 2012/02/23 21:32:44
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    What if birth control is needed for medical issues?
  • JAA Melicio... 2012/02/23 22:04:19 (edited)
    JAA
    +4
    They can pay for it themselves, just like we did in the "olden days" (like I said). Again, freedom to find another job, or not to take the one at the Catholic, Muslim, Buddhist, or other religion-based organization that they know has those beliefs. I took birth control for years for severe dysmenorrhea & endometriosis, & it came out of my pocket, & that was in the days where we were living paycheck-to-paycheck. If it's a life-threatening medical issue, then most, if not all, insurances will pay for it under Major Medical. My gosh, what does it take to get through to you?
  • Andy Fl... JAA 2012/02/23 22:56:01
    Andy Fletcher
    +3
    Maybe we can try this tack as an explanation, though it may be a bit simple for educated elitist leftists to understand. I'll try and present it anyway because if nothing else, I can be quite verbose. It seems to me that many medications serve many ailments. There are other uses for what are commonly considered contraceptives. Obviously you are well aware of that JAA, because you have had to use them for other things than trying to keep from getting preggers. At that point, don't they just become plain old medicine? I wouldn't like it, and still be unable to constitutionally justify such a mandate, but I could live with it a lot easier for those specific purposes. Unfortunately, that would require all the freeloaders, as well as the system to use honesty and ethics. That just won't happen. Hope that made sense.
  • JAA Andy Fl... 2012/02/24 00:33:40 (edited)
    JAA
    +3
    Yes, it made perfect sense.

If birth control was solely "plain ole medicine", this would not be an issue; however, the fact that some religions find "playing God" in this respect (by preventing pregnancy by artificial means) to be evil & against their faith beliefs. It's not like these beliefs just suddenly appeared in the 21st Century in order to irritate progressives, but they are foundational to these citizens' religion, which is protected by the Constitution.

I'm pro-choice, but anti-abortion in all but certain situations (e.g., the life of the mother is in jeopardy, incest, rape, or ancephaly). I think that if abortion is allowed as a form of birth control, then the mother (&/or father) should pay for it out of pocket. I am, like you, pro-Constitution, & it is this which is being assaulted by this administration.
  • Melicio... JAA 2012/02/23 23:43:17
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Would you feel the same if insurance companies, and employers chose to not pay for cancer treatments, or heart disease or diabetes because of religious beliefs?

And being insulting will not get through to me, you're on that count, all it will do is result in getting you blocked.
  • JAA Melicio... 2012/02/24 00:58:29 (edited)
    JAA
    +3
    Silly girl. You are either being intentionally obtuse, or you truly don't get it. If you find this insulting, so be it. It's not my intention to insult you, but I have no other way to shake you into listening to what I'm saying & seriously considering it.

Regarding your first sentence, it is a MOOT point, because, for the umpteenth time, this is NOT an access issue, it is a 1st Amendment "right" one. Seriously, how many times do you need this repeated? Are you just insistent that the US Constitution be thrown out just because you don't agree with someone's beliefs?

Birth control pills, if that is what you're discussing specifically for disease treatment, should be defined as just that, & considerations given ONLY if there is a definitive diagnosis of gynecological "conditions" that warrant its use. That means not only diagnostic tests (pathology post D&C; or x-rays), but a second opinion (in case women find a doctor who has no scruples w/ lying or insurance fraud). That is something the religious organizations should be able to decide. But again, the women are free to find work elsewhere.

If you wish to block me after continuing this line of obtuseness, it might do us both good, and I personally couldn't care less, but all you have to do is tell me to no longer respond to you. I have absolutely no problem with that. Without first requesting to be left alone, I believe blocking is a form of cowardliness, not to mention being rude.
  • Andy Fl... Melicio... 2012/02/24 03:30:48
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    Can we at least agree that the legislation involved is being opposed by conservatives rather than being introduced by them? I ask this because most of the left and the MSM are presenting it as if the GOP is trying to work up a bill that says all religious organizations, especially the Catholics, shall never be required to pay for birth control and in addition to that all birth control will be illegal from now on.

Notice, no insults, no rhetoric, just a question that requires a simple straightforward answer based on the facts. We can continue the discussion in a rational manner afterwards if you are so inclined.

Also, if you could, name me the one food that absolutely makes you wretch. Especially if it is one that is considered good for you such as broccoli.
  • Melicio... Andy Fl... 2012/02/24 04:31:50
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    Yes we can agree.

Brussel Sprouts. Blech.
  • Andy Fl... Melicio... 2012/02/24 06:48:35
    Andy Fletcher
    Ok, it's gonna get a tad strange and simplistic here but I would like to present a scenario involving the same basic concepts that JAA and I are trying to explain to you, except without all the rhetoric and emotionality of a hot bed issue such as the one this discussion is actually about. It's going to be tough to do without seeming to talk down to you, and if it does, please know that is NOT my intention. I only ask that you keep an open mind and put yourself into the scenario I present, and then think and reply honestly from that perspective.

Obviously you agree that brusselds sprouts are considered good for us. So do I. Except I actually enjoy having maybe three or four every six months or so. Definitely no more than that though :)

For this you will have to accept that your religion (it's just a religion that you live your life around, doesn't have to have anything to do with a god persay. Only that you and those who think as you do believe it and live by it) believes that the consumption of brussels sprouts will lead you into eternal damnnation, regardless of whether eating them can prolong your life and enhance the quality of it. There is also a severe deficiency of vitamin D in the diets of your fellow countrymen ( regardless of if they believe in any sort of religion or...

For this you will have to accept that your religion (it's just a religion that you live your life around, doesn't have to have anything to do with a god persay. Only that you and those who think as you do believe it and live by it) believes that the consumption of brussels sprouts will lead you into eternal damnnation, regardless of whether eating them can prolong your life and enhance the quality of it. There is also a severe deficiency of vitamin D in the diets of your fellow countrymen ( regardless of if they believe in any sort of religion or not) causing all sorts of health issues. Painfully distended bellies, hormones all screwed up, irregularity, can't hold food down, etc. and the best solution for this is to consume one brussels sprout a day. While this is a problem for society as a whole, it is only your religion that refuses to consume brussels sprouts, due to your religious beliefs. Your numbers are by no means small, but you are definitlely a minority. We'll call you all the NBS's ( No Brussels Sprouts). You guys know they are good for you physically, but feel they will destroy you spiritually. The sprouts have become expensive as hell, and a lot of folks who don't do or produce anything want to eat these brussels sprouts to alleviate their symptoms. Many of them are even in this country illegally. So along comes the FBSers. (Force Brusslels Sprouts). You NBS's are generally a hard working bunch that try and take care of you and your's with as little interference from the government as possible. ( Here's where we insert the US Constitution as it is, the only real part of this scenario, and all laws must be bound by it) Well the FBSers first pass legislation requiring that all citizens consume brusslels sprouts because they are good for you and will reduce health care costs across the board. If you don't consume them, you are subject to stiff fines. We then decide that since you NBS's, through your own hard work are pretty well off and have a lot more than most folks, you should bear the majority of the burden of providing those brussels sprouts to the masses. So the FBSers decide you need to pay higher taxes to provide the nation with the mandated sprouts. As the mandated consumption of these sprouts increases, they grow more expensive, and out of reach for even more of society. To the FBSers, that's fine, because we're just going to go ahead and raise you taxes some more to help pay for it. Keep in mind here that as it is only fity percent of Americans pay any taxes at all. Since supply and demand have driven the cost of the sprouts out of most folks reach, the FBSers now enact legislation that government will provide these sprouts to the people. It doesn't matter that they won't die from not having them. Theyll be uncomfortable sure, but not in any real danger. And it doesn't matter that the government is functionally bankrupt, because the FBSers are simply going to raise your taxes again. After all, you have it to spare. Why shouldn't you be forced to pay for brussels sprouts, that if you yourself consume will send you to hell, for those who have no desire to try and better themselves, or have no business being in this country in the first place.

It would take 20 more pages to finish this and exclude all the acillary issues that come up, but from you remarks, while I may not agree with them, I know you can see where I'm going with this.

Basically, I want my sprouts, and I want you to pay for them. I don't care if you've found ways other than sprouts to provide you with your vitamin D. I don't care if I've never paid a cent in taxes. I don't care what you feel the consumption of sprouts will do to the morals of the country, or that you think even providing them to others will make you burn in hell. You have more than me, so you should buy me my sprouts. I don't even have to consider the sprout alternatives that you and yours have discovered, because sprouts are effective 95% of the time. because you have so much, you OWE me my sprouts, and I am going to use the jack boots of government to get my sprouts from you. If your not careful,and put up too much of a stink, I'm going to make you go out in the fields and grow my sprouts. I'm in the majority after all. It doesn't matter to me that the constitution expressly forbids me from requiring you to provide me with my sprouts. That's just a stupid piece of paper and I don't have to pay any attention to it at all. I want my sprouts and by golly you're gonna give them to me. Oh, and by the way, I also think eating meat is bad for you, so you can't do that either. And if you try and oppose any of my legislation, I'm going to expose you for the religious zealot that you really are.

Can you put yourself in that position, and then tell me how it would feel to be there, for you? I know it's flawed in the presentation, but the underlying issue is clear. Keep the constitution in mind as well please.
  • Melicio... Shylee 2012/02/23 16:44:47
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +4
    Many insurances cover prostrate exams, but not mammograms.
  • Shylee Melicio... 2012/02/24 16:12:38
    Shylee
    +3
    Im not surprised thats what happens when men rule the world.
  • HL Shylee 2012/03/08 01:38:49
    HL
    +3
    Now now not all men!
  • Shylee HL 2012/04/06 13:35:06
    Shylee
    +1
    Hello There ;o)
    Aww....you probably rule your own little world,at least i like to think i rule mine and thats about all i can handle lol.Ya know im kinda surprised that someone in here hasnt posted an election for a SodaHead President LOL.
  • HL Shylee 2012/04/06 17:55:46
    HL
    +1
    I am supprised these RW dummies don't get it!
  • Shylee HL 2012/04/06 21:41:03
    Shylee
    Hi whats going on are you at work ?
  • HL Shylee 2012/04/06 21:41:58
    HL
    +1
    Of course we have s lot of business in the last couple of months...
  • Shylee HL 2012/04/06 22:17:23
    Shylee
    Well i got home around 3 it was kinda slow today at work with hoilday here and im so glad its friday woohoo.
  • TMan Shylee 2012/04/05 14:00:21
  • BlueMax372 Shylee 2012/02/25 00:27:25
    BlueMax372
    +3
    You've obviously fallen for the bull$h*t DNC/SEIU/CPUSA talking points. Try doing a little research for yourself to find out what's really going on.
  • Shylee BlueMax372 2012/02/29 16:22:45
    Shylee
    +1
    Oh calm down LOL
  • RED DAWN Shylee 2012/02/25 17:03:19
    RED DAWN
    +4
    Who has said you can't have the pill.You like all the othere liberals just want someone else to pay so you can get it free.
  • Shylee RED DAWN 2012/02/29 16:30:44
    Shylee
    +1
    Dont paint me with same brush.I've been a Secretary since i was 18 and i've worked for everything.But some people arent as fortunate and helping someone in need is just the right thing to do in my opinion reguardless whether their Democrat or Republican.
  • RED DAWN Shylee 2012/02/29 16:50:19
    RED DAWN
    +1
    How should you be painted.There are health clinics in every county where you can get free birth control if you are unable to pay for it.Who do you think pays for this free B/C tax payers and that is helping people.

2014/07/29 00:42:59