Is the Birth Control Issue hurting the GOP with Women Voters?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2012/02/21 16:42:29

A series of hot button events has thrust the issue of contraception
into the public spotlight recently. There was a large hue and cry after
Obama introduced a new law which requires most religiously affiliated
employers to cover birth control for their employees. Soon after, Susan
G. Komen for the Cure, the nation’s largest breast cancer charity, cut
off funds to Planned Parenthood, which provides affordable cancer
screenings and contraception to millions of low-income women, then
within 48 hours reinstated the funding because of the ensuing fury and
vows to cut off donations to Susan G. Komen.

GOP war on women

What doe this mean for Democrats? Well, in my opinion this is ONLY
GOOD NEWS for the democrats. You see women are now a MAJOR voting bloc,
and you must have at least some of the women vote to win elections now.
The numbers are staggering. Overall, 53 percent of the national
electorate in 2008 was female, according to exit poll data. Women
overall voted 56 to 43 percent for Obama; men voted 49 to 48 percent for
him.

That’s Right, 53% of voters in 2008 were women. How will this affect
the GOP? Consider this: 8 out of 10 women feel that birth control
should be covered by insurance. Let me reiterate that 80% of women!

women vote democrat

How do you think Rick Santorum, and Mitt Romney will fare with women
voters after PUBLICLY coming out against insurance coverage for birth
control? I think they will not do well among women voters, which is a
group that the GOP DESPERATELY needs to court. In 2008 among single
women, Obama got the vote by a whopping 79%. The women’s support of
Obama, is what won the election for him. How exactly does the GOP plan
on pulling off a victory, from an already divided party, without the
support of women?

Read More: http://www.theverbalassassin.net/2012/02/21/birth-...

• Morning... MBSVirg... 2012/02/21 19:18:20
    Morningstar
    +1
    Dems don't think women are stupid!
  • MBSVirg... Morning... 2012/02/21 22:54:43
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    In regards to their notion that we would vote on a singular issue without thoughtful consideration of ALL issues, that isn't the message I'm getting.
  • Lady Wh... Morning... 2012/02/21 23:33:50
    I'm a female democrat and I'm CERTAINLY not stupid!
  • lucky Marvelo... 2012/02/21 19:01:42
    lucky
    +1
    Some maybe.
  • Marvelo... lucky 2012/02/21 19:04:20
    Marvelous Wildfire
    That's true with all groups.
  • Morning... lucky 2012/02/21 19:14:13
    Morningstar
    +1
    LUCKY! yes, that's true but when you add it to all the other crazy things the repubs are saying it adds up to a vote for OBAMA!
  • lucky Morning... 2012/02/21 19:21:50
    lucky
    No, whats crazy is with all the issues we have going on in this country that can bring us to our knees if we dont fix them, Democrats are harping on insurance companies providing birth control, something that isnt even a medical necessity except in rare cases and can be gotten easily and for free in nearly every state in this country if not all states.
  • Tea Party Teen 2012/02/21 17:32:03
  • MBSVirg... Tea Par... 2012/02/21 17:40:08
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    +3
    Yes they do. And many women who choose abortion are not gutter trash. When you mature a bit more you may understand personal life choices.
  • Tea Par... MBSVirg... 2012/02/21 18:03:26
  • MBSVirg... Tea Par... 2012/02/21 18:38:30
    MBSVirginia BN-2
    +2
    I disagree.
  • HippieMan Tea Par... 2012/02/21 18:54:01
  • Tea Par... HippieMan 2012/02/21 19:46:42
  • HippieMan Tea Par... 2012/02/21 20:09:26
  • Lady Wh... HippieMan 2012/02/21 23:34:40
    agreed
  • Morning... Tea Par... 2012/02/21 19:18:57
    Morningstar
    +1
    NOT MURDER _ NOT CHILD!
  • Tea Par... Morning... 2012/02/21 19:47:20
  • TheMadC... Tea Par... 2012/02/21 17:54:52
    TheMadChameleon
    +10
    And you think all women who are on birth control are having abortions? Last time I checked the point of birth control was to PREVENT unwanted children, therefore cutting down on abortions.
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/21 18:52:28
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +3
    And you, of course, are intelligent enough to know that this has nothing to do with birth control, or even a woman's "personal life choices".
    Rather it's about whom will be forced to PAY for HER "personal life choices".
  • Morning... Marvelo... 2012/02/21 19:20:10
    Morningstar
    +4
    insurance policies should cover birth control!
  • Marvelo... Morning... 2012/02/21 19:43:09
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    And why is that? Insurance premiums not high enough for those who pay them?
    Getting laid isn't worth PENNIES a day to you?
    Why do you feel than another should be financially responsible for your birth control?
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/21 19:29:30
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    And your thoughts on people who use birth control not for sexual purposes, but for medical purposes?
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/21 19:44:07
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I'm sorry, but did you read what you wrote?
    You answered the question as well as I could.
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/21 19:50:24
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    Yes, actually, I did read what you wrote. You're asking women to pay for "personal life choices" and so I asked you about women who use contraception for medical reasons. In addition, what are your thoughts on insurance covering viagra? I'm curious as to why the GOP hasn't brought that up in tandem with birth control--please tell me what you think on that!
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/21 20:06:55
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "so I asked you about women who use contraception for medical reasons."
    If the medical reason isn't birth control, but rather a HEALTH issue, that's what HEALTH insurance is intended for.

Viagra? If it serves a medical purpose, then by all means cover it with MEDICAL insurance. If it's only for sex: Pay to play!

You asked: "I'm curious as to why the GOP hasn't brought that up in tandem with birth control--please tell me what you think on that!"

I can't speak for the GOP, I can only give you my guess.
    A woman, with the exception of rape, can totally prevent pregnancy by simply saying: "No."

Some men can not preform sex without medication. (I still say they should: Pay to Play.)
    No one/no group (religious or otherwise) has an issue with HAVING SEX, so no one objects to Viagra.

Another possibility: a single Viagra cost more, than many would pay in a month, for condoms; thus birth control for sex cost pennies, while medication to allow the ability to have sex cost many, many times more.

Again, these are my best GUESS.
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/21 20:19:16
    TheMadChameleon
    +1
    And how would you differentiate between those who get contraceptives or viagra for medical reasons, and those who lie about having a medical reason to get it for sexual purposes? Some things, like extreme menustration pains (and I don't know why a man would medically need viagra, so please just assume that there is some reason) are entirely personal and medically relevant, but anyone could claim to have them. How would the insurance companies differentiate?
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/21 22:58:29
    Marvelous Wildfire
    It's simple really.
    By what the *DOCTOR* stated the NEED was: "Control period bleeding" = medical. "To prevent pregnancy" = Birth Control.
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/21 23:58:02
    TheMadChameleon
    And you don't think that some women would lie about their pain to get it? I went on the pill because my periods were cripplingly painful. The doctor took my word for it--no tests, no asking for more information, nothing, a bit surprising to me really. What makes you think people wouldn't just lie? It would not change a thing if they only covered the pill for medical reasons.
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/22 05:40:46
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "And you don't think that some women would lie about their pain to get it?"
    Hmmm, so you're saying that women would then get their birth control paid for by their MEDICAL insurance?
    So what's the issue again?

You state: "I went on the pill because my periods were cripplingly painful. The doctor took my word for it--no tests, no asking for more information, nothing, a bit surprising to me really."
    And you GOT the birth control pills, even though they was for a MEDICAL need?
    So what's the issue again?

You state: "What makes you think people wouldn't just lie? It would not change a thing if they only covered the pill for medical reasons."
    So what's the issue again?

That's life, there are people who will lie about just about anything.
    Want lunch? Go into a soup kitchen and tell them you're homeless and hungry, and they will feed you.
    Tell your husband you're working late, when you're really going to a hotel to meet a "cute guy", he may never know . . .
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/22 06:05:14
    TheMadChameleon
    So, in other words, you'd like to set it up so that people will have to lie, and many will resort to lying, to get birth control, instead of telling the truth and receiving no hassle for it. Interesting. Personally, I think that when in doubt we ought to set the system up to AVOID having people lie about their intentions whenever possible, but clearly you disgree.
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/22 08:20:15
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "So, in other words, you'd like to set it up so that people will have to lie, and many will resort to lying, to get birth control, instead of telling the truth and receiving no hassle for it."
    I thought you were more intelligent than that.
    No, that is NOT what was said at all.
    Catch them lying: Send them to prison for insurance fraud.
    If they want insurance that pays for birth control: Take out a policy that covers birth control and PAY FOR IT>

You state: "Interesting. Personally, I think that when in doubt we ought to set the system up to AVOID having people lie about their intentions whenever possible, but clearly you disgree."

I say: IF THEY ARE CAUGHT LYING, send them to PRISON for insurance fraud.
    If they want birth control: PAY FOR IT.
    Either in higher premiums or out of your own pocket.
    When you grow up, I hope you'll understand how foolish it is, to expect others to pay for what you want.
    Society is NOT your mommy and daddy.
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/22 14:05:24
    TheMadChameleon
    No, society is not; however, a majority of the country approves the idea that employers ought to cover birth control when they provide health insurance. Even WITH health insurance birth control is not free. And actually, you seemed perfectly willing to let people lie, and considering that I have to doubt that anyone would magically get caught lying about personal pain, good luck catching anyone for insurance fraud.
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/22 22:22:50
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "No, society is not; however, a majority of the country approves the idea that employers ought to cover birth control when they provide health insurance."
    Yes there is, and I guess there will always be, a majority of people who will always want something for nothing if someone else is paying.
    Over 47% of the Country pays no Income Tax, many even get a "refund" from the IRS. (How do you get a "refund", after you contribute NOTHING?)
    Yet these are the same people screaming for "make the rich pay their fair share!"

You state: "Even WITH health insurance birth control is not free."
    Of course not, someone had to pay for the development, cost of ingredients, cost of production, distribution, and insurance.

You state: "And actually, you seemed perfectly willing to let people lie, and considering that I have to doubt that anyone would magically get caught lying about personal pain, good luck catching anyone for insurance fraud."

While you doubt that people would get caught for fraud, it does happen.
    If wishes came true: my wish would be that every armed robber that attempted to rob their next victim, would be shot dead by that victim.
    That's unrealistic to dream for, because of the low percentage of intended victims that accept personal responsibility for their own safety.
    But it...

But it does happen!
    And the risk of more and more armed intended victims has actually shown a great reduction in the violent crime rates.

I'll attribute your poor reading skill to your age and your inability to understand the real world to the naivety that comes with it.
    Let me explain how this insurance issue really works, in a way you may understand:

If your parents told you: "We will help you get a new car of your choice WHATEVER you want.
    We'll pay 9/10th of the cost of the car's payments each month, but YOU will be required to pay the 1/10th. If you don't pay your share of the payment; YOU LOSE THE CAR. We will also pay 3/4 of the cost for maintenance."
    Sounds like a REAL Sweetheart of a deal doesn't it?
    I bet in their "heart of hearts" 99.99% of those reading this, would LOVE to have that deal themselves!

Now, if you get a very basic, no frills, absolute bare bones Ford Festiva, your part of the payment may only be $35 a month! (SWEET!)
    You can also get "extras" that will make your new car even BETTER!
    And HEY! They will simply add it on to the cost, to be divided up into the monthly payments! SWEET!
    However, if you want floor mats from the dealer; that cost extra. (Dealer floor mats used to be about $180, like you could get at Walmart for $40.)
    You want the ROCKIN' sterio system: Extra.
    You want the turbo; that cost extra.
    Leather interior: that's extra.
    A really nice light package: that's extra.
    Certain colors or specialty items are extra.
    You can actually nearly double the cost of the car with just the extras.

Now, if you decided that instead of a Ford Festiva, you wanted a Mercedes, just your part alone for the most basic model, could easily cost as much as the WHOLE monthly payment for the Festiva.

Insurance is the same: The employer pays the lions share of the cost, and you pay a percentage.
    Any "extras", cost more per month for both of you, but mostly the employer. That's why the employer limits what your insurance covers. (So that they as well as the majority of the other employees can AFFORD the insurance.)
    Some believe "Why should the employee pay $600 a year for BIRTH CONTROL?!"
    They don't understand, that by insurance paying that $600, it could easily cost the employee them self an extra $100 a month in insurance premiums. ($1200 a year.)
    Insurance companies do NOT insure people out of the goodness of their heart, they do it to make MONEY.
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/23 00:11:23
    TheMadChameleon
    Yes, thank you for giving me information that I already know, very sweet of you. And my reading comprehension skills are hardly low, they are actually quite high for my age. I'd be a poor English major otherwise. Now, since you've acknowledged that people do indeed pay for insurance--bravo! Minor comprehension!--how exactly is it a problem to require birth control to be covered by it, pray tell?
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/23 01:29:33
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "And my reading comprehension skills are hardly low, they are actually quite high for my age."
    Here English major is what you missed that answers your question:
    "Insurance is the same: The employer pays the lions share of the cost, and you pay a percentage.
    Any "extras", cost more per month for both of you, but mostly the employer. That's why the employer limits what your insurance covers. (So that they as well as the majority of the other employees can AFFORD the insurance.)"
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/23 01:38:18
    TheMadChameleon
    What do you think will cost the employer more--covering the cost of birth control on insurance, or temporarily losing an employee due to an unintended pregnancy?
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/23 02:02:04
    Marvelous Wildfire
    The insurance by far.
    Now, how many of the women screaming for insurance to pay for birth control, would still want the coverage if adding birth control raised the monthly premiums only $100 a month?
  • TheMadC... Marvelo... 2012/02/23 02:07:55
    TheMadChameleon
    Good question, and perhaps you ought to leave that up to the women who pay for their insurance.
  • Marvelo... TheMadC... 2012/02/23 02:29:48
    Marvelous Wildfire
    If only it was that easy!
    But sadly, it's not.

Typically it's *group coverage*, meaning you get what everyone else gets, or nothing; your choice.
    So you and I worked together, and I wanted birth control covered "It's only fair!"
    So because of the size of our company, to add birth control to the *group policy* will only cost an extra $100 a month.
    I can afford it; my car is paid for and I do all my own work on it, my home is paid for, and I grow much of my own food.
    So I don't have your car payment, or your rent, you don't have the place to grow anything, and you like to party with friends.

You may then be forced to drop your insurance because you can't afford the premiums. (Remember: The $100 was just the INCREASE.)

Most would rather pay the $30-$40 a month out of their own pocket, rather than lose their insurance because they can afford the new *group policy rates*.
  • Idiot r... TheMadC... 2012/02/21 20:47:59
    Idiot repubs
    +1
    Tea boy hasn't had sex yet. What does he know.

2014/10/24 11:27:04