Is the "Big One" earthquake going to hit California soon?

Pamela 2008/05/07 17:38:51
NO ---- I been hearing this story for years, yet no earthquake.
NO ----- Haven't heard about this.
YES ----- This earthquake is going to be the worst natural disaster in history.
Even a recent study in which scientists practically guaranteed a major quake will strike California within the next 30 years, and a flurry of temblors -- in Nevada, off the Oregon coast and near Santa Rosa last week -- does not appear to have jostled people into action.These warnings are nothing new. Anyone who's lived in California for any period of time is well aware of the advice to get ready for The Big One. And yet most ignore it.

• Denny 2008/05/07 18:00:06
    Denny
    +3
    Gonna happen on a thursday to make a long week-end. That way it won't be as bad

• Randy 2011/04/11 02:02:01
    Randy
    Hey everyone!! yea i Belivie it will coming soon but not know what year and when, but it will coming, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPEND IN JAPAN AND HALIT AND CHILE THAT SOUND LIKE WE ARE TOOO CLOSER TO THE BIG MAJOR EARTHQUICK IN U.S. SO I DONT KNOW WHEN BUT NEVER KNOW IT WILL SHOCK YOU GUYS EVEN ALL WORLD LIKE HAPPEND WITH JAPAN. i study the earthquick time line is, since Alaska had 6.5 or something it was one bad in 1964 also in Ca in 1980'S It was bad too but cant rember what how it was bad in SF Ca then in 1994 it was bad enther also japan in 1993 or 94 too i can't rember how number was but it bad enther. then last year look Haitl had bad then New zoneaet had one earthquith last year then hit agien one mo ago before japan, and japan had 2 time agien this year so it could show everyone it how too close coming big major earthquick could be late this year or 2012???? also the weather is getting change it just started already now the Ice is mealt now when major big one hit the sea over the big city where low land is in all world. i know lots peoples not belivie that it would happen so JUST WAITING. it will happen in one day i cant say when. lots people say it 2012 so just wait to see it could be after 2012 or sooner or so. just WAIT.
  • daisy 2009/12/31 03:38:05
    daisy
    no i don beleve that will hapen hear
  • kittybaby 2009/01/13 01:49:46
    kittybaby
    I live here and know it's coming eventually. That's why I am considering moving to Texas and taking my chances in a tornado..........
  • W.J.S. 2008/07/29 23:31:23
    W.J.S.
    But most people say-----the weather is so great----you gotta love it..
  • ThePersonBehindTheDesk 2008/07/29 20:31:08
    ThePersonBehindTheDesk
    geologically speaking, yes.
  • keven~VP~ 2008/05/29 02:57:58
    keven~VP~
    According to all the predictions that have been made, the big one is suppose to happen in2025, but I dont beleive in predictions , but they say its long over due!!!!!!!!
  • Boo 2008/05/13 01:18:10
    Boo
    Well... in the past week, a cyclone obliterated the entire rainforest nation of Burma (Myanmar), killing over 100,000 and just today the largest earthquake to hit China in over 20 years, killed 10,000. The fact that these horrible disasters happened in climates where such occurrences are somewhat abnormal... I think it's fair to prepare ourselves for what is also being hugely magnified on this side of the Pacific. Buckle up California... I think we're in for one hell of a ride...
  • Compass_Dream 2008/05/13 00:13:34
    Compass_Dream
    yes but not the worst natural disaster. knowin my luck it will be bad timing. i will move out to california. have a really nice beach home. natalie portman will want to marry me. ill finally finish a 1000 piece puzzle. theyll start putting prizes back into cereal boxes. make a model home out of toothpicks. and set up the worlds largest domino set. life will be great. then BOOM!!!
  • concerned 2008/05/12 20:27:08
    concerned
    and really won't spend a lot of time worring about it either i like california
  • Musiclvr11 2008/05/12 20:25:04
    Musiclvr11
    it'll happen when it happens.
  • Foo Master Angie 2008/05/09 17:17:17
    Foo Master Angie
    I don't know if it will be the worst natural disaster in history, but I think I will see a major major earthquake occur in Cali. Good thing I live on the East Coast.
  • Steph 2008/05/09 14:50:11
    NO ----- Haven't heard about this.
    Steph
    I didn't really like those answers, because even though I haven't heard about it before, it probably will happen but it probably won't ''be the worst natural disaster in history.''
  • NattiFan (oYo) 2008/05/09 12:46:03
    NattiFan (oYo)
    How big do they need to be to be called "The Big One"?? I mean wasen't there a 6.7 in 94?? That's big enough for me.
  • Chris [Ninja]™ 2008/05/07 23:06:30
    Chris [Ninja]™
    Who knows... Nothing I can do about it.
  • MsRedWolfe 2008/05/07 19:44:48
    MsRedWolfe
    I guess it all depends on your definition of "soon". Personally, I think that another big earthquake will hit, but I don't know when, and I don't have a personal definition of "soon" for that. I happened to be in downtown San Francisco, waiting for a train, when the Loma Prieta quake hit on October 17, 1989. People have known since at least 1906 that another big quake would hit, yet nobody (including me) was really prepared. The thinking still seems to be that "it won't happen in my lifetime, why worry?"
  • ►Cesar◄ 2008/05/07 19:28:00
    ►Cesar◄
    +1
    Where exactly
  • Pamela 2008/05/07 18:42:12
    NO ----- Haven't heard about this.
    Pamela
    Lets not even imagine. I live in California. Should I be worried?
  • Fred Ro... Pamela 2011/11/26 21:48:38
    Fred Robbins
    +2
    Not if you have "YAHSHUA"-jesus christ?HE is the "TRUTH the LIFE, & the "WAY"!I can do ALL thing's thru "YAHSHUA"(CHRIST) who strengthens me!The STRONGEST people "LOVE YAHSHUA" more than life, wife, mom, dad, bro, or sis.HE died in OUR PLACE!
  • Tom 2008/05/07 18:10:43
    Tom
    +1
    And its going to happen at noon :-)
  • Fef 2008/05/07 18:05:21
    Fef
    +1
    Scientists always have theories about the big quake killing everyone in California and creating oceanfront property for Arizona residents. Lots of little quakes for many years now and still no big one. It will happen, but not anytime soon because of these.
  • Denny 2008/05/07 18:00:06
    Denny
    +3
  • Kitty we shall overcome! 2008/05/07 17:47:54
    Kitty we shall overcome!
    +2
    I feel for Cali but I am in AR and we are right on one giant fault line. Last time we had a big one the mighty Mississippi ran Backwards. They are expecting a big one here soon also. I think we should all take steps to have a family plan incase an emergency happens..where to go, what to do, and a little first aid and food/water supply on hand. You never know!!
  • Boss Hogg~NOBama 2008/05/07 17:44:31
    Boss Hogg~NOBama
    +3
    Well, I don't know about the worst...

The volcanic eruption that completely eradicated the entire Minoan civilization supposedly was the largest volcanic eruption in the history of man. It was so large that the island that the Minoans lived on was over 100 miles away and every single one of them was wiped out.

Hate to be alive for that. An Earthquake is probably equally scary though.
  • MsRedWolfe Boss Ho... 2008/05/07 19:48:13
    MsRedWolfe
    +1
    I know the feeling. Even though I lived in the Bay Area during the time of the Loma Prieta quake, I moved. Here's the funniest part of that. Where I'm living now, on a clear day, I can see Mt. St. Helen's from just about any window or door I look out!!! How's that for planning for the "big one"? LMAO!!!!!

2014/08/23 17:38:48