Is Texas going in the right direction to legalize Christmas?

☆stillthe12c☆ 2013/06/01 19:13:02

New Texas Bill Protects Christmas
In Texas, a new bill attempts to combat the war on Christmas.

The Merry Christmas Bill permits public schools to display nativity
scenes, menorahs, and Christmas trees; it also allows students and
school staff to use greetings like “Merry Christmas” and “Happy
Hanukkah”. The bill passed with overwhelming majority in the Texas state
senate and house, and will now be sent to Gov. Rick Perry for his
approval.
The Merry Christmas Bill provides hope, in our society that has
become far too politically correct. As it stands now, public school
students and staff may be sued for saying “Merry Christmas” or
displaying material related to the holiday. This new legislation was
introduced by Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston), who said, “I was a little
flabbergasted and a little upset that we’ve become so politically
correct that we can’t call a federal holiday by its name. Teachers have
enough on their plate to worry about the school districts going to be
sued or if they can call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.”

approval.

It seems like common sense!

But some do not agree. Linda Bridges, president of the Texas branch
of the American Federation of Teachers, opposes the bill. She said, “We
really have to say does this help education when we are caught up in
discussions that have become pure partisan discussions that is not the
way we should be looking at education.” The ACLU of Texas feels
similarly to Bridges, and said, “We hope administrators and teachers
remain mindful that it is of utmost importance that it’s parents who
teach their children about matters of faith, not public schools.”

There are currently two pending lawsuits in Texas related to the use of holiday greetings in schools.

If Perry signs the Merry Christmas Bill, students and teachers will
be free from the shackles of political correctness come next
Christmas. Do we really want to live such a politically correct society,
that we cannot even wish our friends a “Merry Christmas”?

Read More: http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/05/17838-texas-...

• Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 01:27:54
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    you are welcome!! :-)
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/03 15:02:09
    4570GOVT
    +2
    I may live in Ohio but my heart is with you , Friend !

TEXAS is one of the VERY few states with the cajones to stand up for what's right ! - I Salute You
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 15:28:35 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    Aww ...thank you my friend I am proud of my state !! I have to tell you this... I live in a town that the schools do what is called rally around the flag and prayer day this is done every year. Also my 15 1/2 year old granddaughter at her high school at towards the end of the day they do a Bible study and she leads this group . The school allows this PRAISE the Lord!! So This is one thing good were we live this is done!! The schools are doing what we had in school when we were young and say the pledge of allegiance every morning with God in it and also done were my 11 year old granddaughter go's to school also the sister of my 15 yr. old granddaughter !! So my grandkids are so blessed with this for they are Christian kids !!
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/03 16:09:36
    4570GOVT
    +2
    I admire your school leaders and strong sense of community for this . Gotta' Love It ! - makes me want to move there .
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 16:23:37
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    Yes I am so proud of these schools and these schools were the same way when my Kids went there!!1 My sons are age 34 and 39so back in their day they had this also ...and it is still going thank goodness!!
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/03 16:54:07
    4570GOVT
    +2
    Give them an " Atta' Boy/Girl " for me and praise their actions every chance you get ! Let them know where you stand .
    Later , Me
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 20:33:34
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    Thanks my friend and oh they know were I stand indeed they do!! lol
  • ☆stillt... luke 2013/06/02 20:17:52 (edited)
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I hate to repeat myself, but in 1800 Congress voted to allow church services to be held in the same building that Congress met. It was also the practice for them to open Congress with a prayer. They also found the need to select and appoint a Chaplin and build a Chapel. Thomas Jefferson had a seat that was reserved for him in those church services and was none to still ride his horse in the rain to attend those services.
    Now to address why in the Treaty of Tripoli they made a point of mentioning that the government was not Christian. IN the past Christian nation had attacked them over and over again and they wanted the to know that this was not part of our plan as a nation. This did not work as Tripoli continued to break the treaty and the language was dropped in the may treaties that came after that with Tripoli.
  • Cindy64... ☆stillt... 2013/06/02 17:47:41
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    amen  my friend !
  • ☆stillt... Cindy64... 2013/06/02 20:18:24
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    Thank You my Friend!
  • 4570GOVT ☆stillt... 2013/06/02 18:04:29
    4570GOVT
    +3
    When I was in school , we started the day with " The Pledge " - followed by " The Lords Prayer " ! - The Lords Prayer Was Later Replaced By A Moment Of Silence .

Since that time - The A.C.L.U. and Athiest Groups have declared WAR on Christianity !
    It is strange that THIS is the ONLY religion they have a problem with .
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/02 18:16:07 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +3
    When I was in school the very same thing " The Pledge " and followed by " The Lords Prayer " ! Now all if these non -believers and LIBS and DEM-O-RATS and lest not forget ... COMMIE -OBAMA-SLIME have taken God out of everything and is this Nation being Blessed .......NO !! yes indeed my friend so sad!!
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/02 18:29:09
    4570GOVT
    +2
    These Are Indeed " Sad Times For Our Nation " . Just as in all Communist countries from Russia , China , Etc. started off this way .............. erasing religion .
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 15:31:55
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    YES that is RIGHT and this is just what OBAMATHE COMMIE and the DEM-O-RATS and the COMMIE LIBS WANT to be just like all of the Communist Countries !!
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/03 16:20:01
    4570GOVT
    +2
    " Those People " are like a CANCER and with the help of their HIT-MAN ----( the Communist A.C.L.U. ) have waged WAR on the Christian Symbol in any form . If it relates in any way to Christianity ( Prayer - Cross - Nativity Scene - Even To MENTION " any " phrase that could be deemed Christian ) , it is swooped in on and faced with certain bankruptcy if they do not ERASE it .
    The COMMUNIST A.C.L.U. is the TOOL that the Liberal/Progressives have chosen to erase Christianity from America .
    I wish you well , Friend
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 16:24:57 (edited)
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    You are 100% RIGHT in you reply to me. Was. DC. has a Cancer and it is spreading all across this country of ours!!
  • 4570GOVT Cindy64... 2013/06/03 16:56:48
    4570GOVT
    +2
    It " IS " ! - Remember This .............................

~~~~~~~~" Eternal Vigilance Is The Price Of Freedom "~~~~~~~~
  • Cindy64... 4570GOVT 2013/06/04 04:37:47
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +2
    YES INDEED !
  • hazel Cindy64... 2013/06/02 19:07:50
    hazel
    +3
    ME TOO
  • Cindy64... hazel 2013/06/03 15:32:20
    Cindy64~PATRIOT WARRIOR
    +3
    good good lol lol
  • ☆stillt... 4570GOVT 2013/06/02 20:24:19
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    We did say the pledge here in Calif but it was never was followed with prayer. But once a week for one hour we were let go to attend bible study. A bus parked next to the school and we would go to that bus for bible study. I am old enough to remember when under God was added to the pledge,
  • 4570GOVT ☆stillt... 2013/06/03 15:14:42 (edited)
    4570GOVT
    +2
    I'm old enough (62) to remember when we said the Lords Prayer and when " The Moment Of Silent Meditation " Replaced It . There was quite a stink at the time but looking back , I could see the reasoning . As long as you are allowed ( if you want ) to pray to yourself that was OK .
    California has been AHEAD OF THE ( Commie ) CURVE for longer than I thought .
  • ☆stillt... 4570GOVT 2013/06/03 21:49:12
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +2
    I think that it was started by a law suit in 1963 that stopped all prayer in school. Many sports in schools continued prayers and that was stopped as well.
  • 4570GOVT TheNigh... 2013/06/02 17:59:34
    4570GOVT
    +3
    So the Supreme Court Building in D.C. should have its FACADE torn off and All References To Religion Removed . The Ten Commandments Taken Down ( the basis for all laws ) ?
  • TheNigh... 4570GOVT 2013/06/07 06:50:34
    TheNightFly
    Yes. The Constitution is supposed to be the basis of our laws, not the Ten Commandments.
  • 4570GOVT TheNigh... 2013/06/07 14:21:35
    4570GOVT
    +1
    The 10 Commandments ARE the basis for OUR LAWS !
    You really NEED to read up .
  • TheNigh... 4570GOVT 2013/06/07 18:40:01
    TheNightFly
    Okay, what text would you recommend?
  • ☆stillt... TheNigh... 2013/06/07 18:55:25
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    They are even posted in the Supreme Court.
  • TheNigh... ☆stillt... 2013/06/07 19:12:03
    TheNightFly
    How ironic is that?
  • SunShine TheNigh... 2013/06/02 18:58:42
    SunShine
    +2
    no it isn't proselytizing.. not at all.. anymore than a room in school for muslims to pray in is..
  • TheNigh... SunShine 2013/06/02 21:34:50 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Any promotion of religion is proselytizing. But a room for Muslims to pray in, that's a Mosque! Well then, where are the rooms for Christians to pray in- i.e. the churches? Plus, to be fair, we need Synagogs for the Jewish kids to pray in and temples for the Buddhist and Hindu kids to meditate in. And if you want to set up Christian displays outside then all the other groups must be allowed to do the same. You can't force them to stay in their rooms or they'll through a fit and wreck your displays. Then what? Kids fighting in the hallways over religious intolerance.
  • luke 2013/06/02 01:29:27
    luke
    +1
    Firtsly:
    nhfghdfh

Secondly, the US constitution clearly states in the First Amendment that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ....", so unless Texas is going to "legalize" the other 81 or so holidays in the month of December, that law will not stand anyway.
  • ☆stillt... luke 2013/06/02 01:45:05
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
    Our forefather saw fit to pass and act that allow church service to be held in the same building that congress met. They also start Congress with a prayer and they build a chapel. Thomas Jefferson had a reserved seat in those services.
  • luke ☆stillt... 2013/06/02 01:53:27
    luke
    Several of the founding fathers were actually Deists and Pagans.

Also a church being located in a couple (IE: two) governmental buildings was an act of "Give me convenience or give me death" and a sign of the excruciatingly religious time in which they lived than anything else.
  • gvc luke 2013/06/02 01:52:45
    gvc
    +4
    The law will stand. Tuck your delicate atheist sensibilities away and deal with it. They are NOT supporting anything, they are saying YOU are free to say whatever you like without some freak telling you it is unacceptable.
  • luke gvc 2013/06/02 01:58:55 (edited)
    luke
    So are they going to protect those who say happy holidays from some Christian raging at them for not pandering to Christianity?

Because there are 89 holidays in the month of December, so it's pretty selfish of Christians to demand like everyone pretends that their holiday, as well as the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah, are the solely extant ones.

Perhaps it is those who whine about the usage of "Happy Holidays" who should "tuck" their "delicate" theistic notions of "HELP HELP WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED (Even though a majority group cannot actually be oppressed.) away"
  • gvc luke 2013/06/02 02:04:13
    gvc
    +4
    Wow do you have to work at being stupid or does it just come naturally to you?

Suggestion: READ THE STORY....then comment, it will prevent you from looking like a complete idiot!

Perhaps, you should worry about your trashed out Country! We will worry about ours!
  • luke gvc 2013/06/02 02:27:12 (edited)
    luke
    I DID read the post.

"The Merry Christmas Bill permits public schools to display nativity
    Hanukkah”. "

I do not take issue with the usage of the ambiguous tree (Which, by the way, is ACTUALLY a Pagan tradition adopted/perverted by Christianity to make it less Pagan-y)

I do take issue with the seemingly relentless fallacy of a "War on Christmas" and the "HELP HELP WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED" rants that occur along with the fallacy of a "war on Christmas".

You can celebrate Christmas all you want, however, you should TRY to not be exclusionary and include the people who celebrate the other 88 holidays that occur in the month of December, which is why the phrase "Happy Holidays (which has been used as far back as a 1940s WW2 Christmas broadcast for the Allied troops.) exists.

.
  • gvc luke 2013/06/02 02:56:32
    gvc
    +3
    News flash: Nobody cares what YOU take issue with.

There is a war on Christmas just as there is a war on Christians. However, we are not concerned, we will never be silenced.

I don't NEED your permission to celebrate Christmas, NOR do I need the States or the Federal Government's permission. I have NEVER attempted to prevent anyone from celebrating anything, oddly enough only Christians are told we cannot mention Christ or Christmas because we are offending someone.

I don't care who my faith offends, I will celebrate and proclaim Christ as long as there is still breath in my body!
  • luke gvc 2013/06/02 03:07:58 (edited)
    luke
    Nobody is saying you "need permission" to celebrate Christmas, people are saying you can't force it down everyone's throats, which is EXACTLY what Christians TRY to do EVERY goddamn December.

2014/11/21 10:30:22